Post  ara_portillo on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 10:18 pm

>>With the issues on raising the severely deformed baby with other
    children in the family, I think it will be just fair for the parents to
    do so. This entails the notion of the "rights" of each person, whether
    normal or with disabilities to live and be given fair and equal
    treatment. Giving what is due to them. Rights involve claims by
    individuals or classes against the larger society. By implication,
    rights invoke the notion of special entitlements that outweigh other
    considerations, such as fairness or justice.

Althea Perez

Re: The Moral Issue of Birth Deformities: Online Class Day 4

Post  Althea Perez on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 10:06 pm

I agree with what you said Tina. But i wonder, upto when will they be under that veil of ignorance? most especially the other children who belongs in the family? just a thought. Smile

anymore answers, classmates?

ma. cristina arroyo

Post  ma. cristina arroyo on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 9:59 pm

rawls' theory produce of what we called "veil of ignorance". people under this veil does not see other reality so they do not care about other's status, wealth, social position so and so because, again they are under that veil. justice according to rawls, is like this. being under the veil of ignorance.

for question no.1, if rawls method will be used then it would be fair to raise a severely deformed baby with the other children in the family, considering that the family is under the veil of ignorance,.

Althea Perez

Post  Althea Perez on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 9:53 pm

i agree tina.

I think all of you are having a hard time answering the questions. So we will do it one by one. I would just like to make it clear that views and opinions are the main concepts of this discussion, because it is about our own moral and ethical standards in life.

Would it be fair to raise a severely deformed baby with the other children in the family?

Answers are very much appreciated.

ma. cristina arroyo

Post  ma. cristina arroyo on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 9:51 pm

rawls, in his theory, justice is seen as undermined if society's main economic, social and political insitutions require SACRIFICES from the worse-off groups purely to the BENEFIT OF THE BETTER-OFF GROUPS. In rawlsian justice, the focus is thus shifted from health outcomes to the mechanisms implicit in basic social institutions that produce social inequalities in health.

Althea Perez

Post  Althea Perez on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 9:37 pm

I would just like to share a personal experience of mine.

I have a cousin who has Cerebral palsy, he's 18 years old already, he cannot talk but just uttered sounds, he cannot walk appropriately without the help of someone, much bigger than him. Growing up, i could see the "differences" between him and us.

His family raised him normally together with his other 4 siblings. Sometimes we can't help but favor him because of his condition. Nonetheless, my cousins weren't envy of him, because they know he was special-- that inspite of all the love they could give, they knew it was not enough.

I observed my tito and tita treated them equally, that if my special cousin did something bad, they will talk to him, tell him that it is wrong. Just like how they would react whenever the other siblings did something also.

I think, it's a matter of understanding and acceptance.

Althea Perez

Post  Althea Perez on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 9:17 pm

Before giving your insights, i would like to give you a bit of information that will give you an idea about our first issue.

John Rawls is widely regarded as one of the most important political philosophers of the second half of the twentieth century. He is primarily known for his theory of justice as fairness, which develops principles of justice to govern a modern social order. Rawls' theory provides a framework that explains the significance, in a society assumed to consist of free and equal persons, of political and personal liberties, of equal opportunity, and cooperative arrangements that benefit the more and the less advantaged members of society.

Rawls argues that self-interested rational persons behind the veil of ignorance would choose two general principles of justice to structure society in the real world:

1) Principle of Equal Liberty: Each person has an equal right to the most extensive liberties compatible with similar liberties for all. (Egalitarian.)

2) Difference Principle: Social and economic inequalities should be arranged so that they are both (a) to the greatest benefit of the least advantaged persons, and (b) attached to offices and positions open to all under conditions of equality of opportunity.

http://www.wku.edu/~jan.garrett/ethics/matrawls.htm

Althea Perez

The Moral Issue of Birth Deformities: Online Class Day 4

Post  Althea Perez on Thu 13 Aug 2009, 9:09 pm

Good evening classmates: Smile I'm Thea and I will be the first moderator for tonight. Tonight's discussion will be about our different ethical as well as moral stand as nurse practitioners. I think this will be a fruitful discussion just like our previous nights.

Same rules apply. Enjoy! Smile

here is the First Moral Issue:

1. In Rawls view, justice is fairness, e.g., to each his due (Gustafson, James M. 1987. Mongolism, Parental Desires, and the Right to Life. Bioethics. Third edition. New Jersey: Paulist Press).

Questions to ponder:

1. Would it be fair to raise a severely deformed baby with the other children in the family?

2. Would the other children get what is due them alongside the inordinate requirements of time, energy, and financial resources that would be required to raise or save the severely malformed child?

3. Or, if the other children did receive what is due them, would there be sufficient time, energy and other resources to attend to the particular (nay, special) needs of the deformed child? Discuss your views among your classmates.

If you CAN support your stand with literatures. Kindly post the references.
    Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Oct 2017, 4:31 am