E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

GOOD TO GREAT by Jim Collins

GOOD TO GREAT by Jim Collins

Post  g00d to great moderators on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:07 am

Good to great: why some companies make the leap--and others don't
    By Jim Collins

Jim Collins begins the book with the claim, “Good is the enemy of Great”. We get used to the notion that performance has something that build up from poor to good to outstanding which make us think that competence can actually hinder achievement. We were struck by what Collins says in the book that, “The vast majority of companies never become great, precisely because the vast majority become quite good -- and that is their main problem."

Humility as defined by the dictionary is someone who is modest, who lacks pretence, someone who does not believe that he or she is superior to others. It struck us when Jim Collins used it as a context of leadership as an influential work Good to Great: Why Some Companies Make the Leap...

Leaders have a deeper and more lasting influence on organizations and provide more comprehensive leadership if their focus extends beyond maintaining high standards. The leaders who seek and succeed in the spotlight do not convey what can be termed “Level 5 leadership” behaviours, wherein it refers to the highest level in a hierarchy of executive capabilities. This kind of leadership combines personal humility with intense professional will.

Jim Collins also mentioned that persisting great companies don’t exist merely to bring returns to stakeholders. In a great company, profits and cash flow are completely essential for life, but they are not the very point of life. It is important to determine the core values and purpose beyond simply by making money and merge this with the dynamic of protecting the core values.

We love his concept of the BUS. He used this metaphor to convey the importance of building the right team. Most of us experienced public transportation like buses. We think Collins have the Extraordinary School bus series in mind when he wrote the book. He told us to have the right people on the bus, and get the wrong people off the bus and make sure that those who are on the bus indeed occupy the right seat like for example those who are quiet students occupy the front seats while students who are loud and bullies usually occupy the back seat. With all that in place, we imagine a transport to some magical universe that will enable us to realize a concept that Collins wants to convey which is to hire the right people and let go of the right people.

Most of us, is looking forward to become the front line person of the organization, making decisions on a daily basis about what is important, what will get done and how it will be done. Every decision collectively determines the usual long term or long-term superiority of the organization. At the wheel of the organization that expresses long term superiority lies leadership that combines vision and dedication with humility and selflessness. The great leaders are those who look for success for their organization, not for themselves. Collins’ leaders are concentrated on results. The great leaders are devoted to shaping the organizational culture to greatness. Collins also tells us what great leaders don’t do. They don’t start on fundamental change programs and wrenching restructuring. They construct from strength.

All good to great companies began the process of finding a path to greatness by confronting the brutal facts of their current reality. In this chapter the companies confront this brutal facts succeed and subsequently became a great companies. This not only apply for those companies who started from scratch but it also apply to great companies encountered problem that may lead to their downfall in instances that they fail or ignore these brutal facts of their reality.

As a leader of a company or even a leader of a group as it was tackle in these chapters that that confronting and handling with these brutal facts should encompasses the collaborative function of the leader. Facing and accepting the changes as we modernized, hearing and learning from subordinates through the use of different strategies such as making a debate, and face such adversity in comparison with other company.

Adapting and practicing Stockdale paradox by Admiral Stockdale who became prisoner of war during Vietnam War. It was stated in this paradox that, retain absolute faith that you can, will prevail in the end, regardless of difficulties, and at the same time confront the most brutal facts of your current reality, whatever they might be.

Conceptualizing hedgehog concept in the concept is an important for a company to become so called great company. The concept of Hedgehog was understood that the essence of profound insights is simplicity, as it simplifies a complex world into single organizing idea, a basic principle or concept that unifies and guides everything. This concept is not a goal, strategy, or intention; hence it was an understanding which is parallel to hearing and understanding the convenience of people and subordinates.

In conceptualizing this as fanatical adherence and willingness to accept opportunities out the three circles of the hedgehog concept which consist of the following: 1. what you are deeply passionate about 2. What you can be the best in the world at, and 3. What drives your economic engine?. This may sustained results the single most important form of discipline.
    Good-to-Great companies maintain unwavering faith that they can and will prevail in the end, regardless of the difficulties, and at the same time have the discipline to confront the most brutal facts of their current reality – whatever that might be.

None of the Good to Great executives put technology as one of their top 5 drivers. None of them jumped on the .com bandwagon out of panic. All of them took a cautious approach as to how technology can already help them do what they do well even better. For those companies studied, (and admittedly few were “technology” companies), the whole issue of technology was not paramount to their success or decline. Rather, it merely acted as an accelerator of the flywheel concept. He emphasizes that when companies went from good to great there was “no miracle moment”. No technological breakthrough. No special announcement. Rather, the accumulated effect of dedicated work finally blossoming on an exploding basis.

In the concluding chapter, Collins attempts to integrate the findings in his two books. What he tells us is that Built To Last is conceptually the sequel to Good To Great. It is about great companies that have sustained themselves. The principal of Good To Great, helps build great companies and the principals of Built To Last helps sustain them. He reminds us that in order to build sustaining companies we must “discover our core values and purpose beyond just making money” and combine this with the dynamic of the preserve growth/stimulate progress. In this chapter, Collins raises what I believe may be the most interesting question of all. That is “why be a great company”? His response: “1) it’s no harder given these ideas than being just a good company. It is just a shift in energy, not an additional expenditure of it. 2) doing so helps us in our search for meaningful work and 3) to have a meaningful life.”

Guide questions:
    1. Implementing change in a company is not as easy as it sounds, but it is sometimes necessary. People are at ease in doing things a certain way, and even though it may simplify things and make their jobs easier. How will you implement change to the people who are not yet ready for it? What strategies will you execute to sustain change?

2. How will you employ and motivate a passionate (and poorly-paid or unpaid) staff in your company?

3. Do you have a desire to be great? If so, why? What’s wrong with simply being good?

4. As a potential leader of a company or group, what will you do to your company or group to be able succeed?

5. As a potential leader of a company or group, how will handle the situation when problems arises and may potentiates or possibility to the downfall of your company or group?
    6. What will you rather choose, being an optimist leader or charismatic leader? Why?

7. Do you agree that a company with a motto of “faster, better, cheaper” still effective considering the fact that we are in the new age technology where things are produced speedily?

8. If you are the manager of the company, what do you think are steps you can make to get the right people on the bus and the wrong ones out?

9. Collin’s discussion about the second circle of influence talks about your economic engine denominator. For some companies the focus is profit per employee. For others it is per geographic region, per brand, per local population, per ton of finished goods, or per customer visit. For you, what is your economic engine denominator? What does this mean for you?

(The guide questions will just help you to reflect and give your own point of view regarding the synthesis that we made.)

Moderators:
    Ferrer, Regina
    Sabangan, John Carlo
    Sarmiento, ROchelette Laurence

ronna_sarmiento

Good to great -- reflection

Post  ronna_sarmiento on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 3:25 pm

The organization sticks to this idea that people are said to be their greatest asset. But some of these organizations are unsuccessful in looking at the concern of their employees. We must take into consideration that change may threaten the people as it will yield them to uncertainty on their future and the fear of losing their job and their inability to do things in new ways. To implement change, it is necessary to have a clear communication between the manager and the subordinates on what particular instances will be implemented on the change in the organization. It is also essential that strong leadership must be present so that positive change could happen. They must be committed to change and work hard to make it happen. A good leadership together with the decision making responsibilities will inspire and motivate everyone for them to change. Leaders who are dedicated at their work in which they are looking for success, not just for themselves. Also, it is necessary to recognize the vision and purpose of the organization clearly for them to have a realistic idea of what the problem is all about. Lastly, it is important to have an enabling environment that could lead the people to adjust and adopt on changes as well as their ability to grow and to value work more on their respective organization.

I consider that there’s nothing wrong with being simply good. It’s just that we are not limiting ourselves with a certain point of standards. We are trying to be the best as we can be to become great individuals or leaders someday. As we are getting old, we are aiming something that would determine our core values and our purpose in our life. Business could be about money but I consider that it is not the only or possible reason that we could be a great leader someday. We have to think of the values, our dedication to work and the people that surround us.

I am struck by the “BUS” concept which was pointed earlier by the moderators and it was also given emphasized during our Nursing Administration class. We have to get the right people into the bus and get off the wrong people for the reason that it will lead us to the right path to take when heading into an organization. We have to hire people whose outlook would be on the work he/she is going to be dedicated at. I hope with this brief reflection it will give us with some points of view in heading into an organization towards a great success.
    rochelette_sarmiento

Re: GOOD TO GREAT by Jim Collins

Post  rochelette_sarmiento on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 4:06 pm

According to Collins, the right people are your most important
    asset. Since you were struck also with the bus concept just like i did.Once you have the right people on the bus,then what do you think will be the next step? The problem on how to motivate and manage people largely goes away.How will you motivate them to stay? How will you motivate them in terms of productivity? self-growth? for the company? Collins also mentioned that “if you have the wrong people, it doesn’t matter whether you find the right direction; you still won’t have a great company. Great vision without great people is irrelevant.” flower
    Tet Soriano

Re: Good to Great

Post  Tet Soriano on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 5:03 pm

This is a very interesting topic I must say. I like that thought that personal humility should be combined with intense professional will. Benjamin Franklin quoted, “To be humble to superiors is duty, to equals courtesy, to inferiors nobleness.” Without humility, I believe greatness cannot be achieved.

Truly that core values of an organization should be determined and protected. Great leaders should plant the core values in each of the employee’s heart. They should also have that vision and dedication that their great leaders have because every single work accounts for the success and greatness of an organization. I believe that value-based management should be embraced leaders in order for them to be great. Values above profits. People before money.

Great leaders should also confront facts in reality. If their people do not have the vision for their organization, it is difficult to move them. But if they have a great vision, change can be easily incorporated. Possibly, dictation will not be a need.

I desire not only greatness but excellence. I believe we should do great in our works to come up with an excellent outcome. If I will be a leader, I will see to it that my whole company will have the same compassion for the greatness our organization as I have. I will plant into their hearts that each of their roles are significant for the success of the company. Thus, they should do great in their job,not being contented of good works but always striviving for excellence. Excellence is equal to greatness.

“To become truly great, one has to stand with people, not above them.”
    -Charles de Montesquieu (French Politician and Philosopher, 1689-1755)
    markpradow

Post  markpradow on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 6:01 pm

The book is very insightful and it does not only apply to managing a company but also on managing one's life. The concept of the BUS tells us to leave all the baggage behind and move on with our lives with lessons to choose the right path to take and make brilliant decisions. We must focus on life's philosophy to be the greatest that you can be and not only there for mere survival. While on the process of greatness a leader should also inspire and create an environment or mood which can motivate his subordinates to work by a guiding principle that they must and should believe in.

It takes a lot of faith to be able to withstand change especially if the kind of change that you are facing is alien to you. New technology arises and new challenges comes with it. The task of a good leader is to hurdle through the challenges and makes sure that people are still motivated and guided by the principle of the company. The profits come and go but greatness is tantamount to immortality. When you're a great company, people will always remember who you are.

To me the statement, “Discover our core values and purpose beyond just making money” means that a great company exists not merely for profit making but a company must exist and live for one belief that would bind its system.

Change is something we must all go through. Life itself is a series of changes but some people are just contended with the mediocrity of routine. Motivation by means of positive reinforcement and growth is a good way to make people realize that change is necessary for growth. In change we become something else and for the better.

We all desire to be good at what we do but I believe that we must strive harder and reach our maximum potential to be able to say that we lived our lives to the fullest. Being great is something that isn't easy to do. Everyone can be good at everything but only people who brave the storm and challenge the odds turn out to be great. These are the people that most of us will remember for life because they were catalysts for change and mold us to what we are.

If I were to choose between an optimist and a charismatic leader, I'd choose the former. Optimism is believing in your philosophy and having faith that a guiding principle is enough to make it work. In the book, the author discussed the importance of having faith and sticking to it to become great. There is nothing wrong with being liked by many as in the case of being charismatic but implementing unpopular choices, though prone to rejection and critique, to make the company afloat during challenging times is better than a solution that is liked by many but is a reason for collapse.

Over all, I enjoyed the synthesis of the group. It really helped me in thinking of ways to become a great leader and not one of the cliche good ones.
    Klarisse Esteban

Good to Great

Post  Klarisse Esteban on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 8:51 pm

Jim Collins’ idea of a leader, for me is the ideal attitude of a man who has the right motivation to succeed in life. An ideal person would know how to interact and identify different types of people. In identifying different kinds of people, one would know how to approach them and how to handle them to make them productive.

A
    s conceptualized by Jim Collins, the ideal leader would know how to identify the types of passengers of a bus and let go of the passengers who are not, anymore, productive. My opinion on this concept is that, the leader should not let go of his subordinates easily. If the passengers are not anymore productive, the blame would be on the leader for he/she was not successful in giving sufficient challenges to shape the attitude of his subordinates. The leader should know how to handle his subordinates. It is his responsibility to shape the growth of his subordinates. The leader should not let go of his subordinates simply because they are not productive, instead, he should find ways on how to shape his subordinates in a way that they will be a prime resource of the company.

To make the staff of the company productive in any company, the leader should know how to take care of his staff. Respect must be given and the importance of the staff’s role in the company should be always emphasized. Mutual respect among the company staff must always prevail. In this way, all the people benefiting from the output of the company will take good care of the company and will hand in hand preserve the identity of the company whom they owe a lot of things to.

regina_ferrer

Post  regina_ferrer on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 9:25 pm

I believe that all of us agree with Jim Collin's incredible idea of running a company which is the most important element to consider in the organization are its people. Let's just say that as the manager, you have chosen the right people to "drive the wheel" of the company but what about strategic plans that will make the employees hang on your company despite the rapid growth of technology and economic instability? What economic denominators do you consider in managing the business?
    Klarisse Esteban

Post  Klarisse Esteban on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 9:49 pm

regina_ferrer wrote: what about strategic plans that will make the employees hang on your company despite the rapid growth of technology and economic instability?

Proper employee handling is not a strategy but actions that the manager must do in interacting with his subordinates. Such simple actions will definitely attract the loyalty and the respect of the employee with the company. The technology and other innovations are factors that the manager must handle apart from his employees. Such factors should not be the center of the success of the company but rather a mere instrument along with the employees and other resources.
    carlosabangan

Group 1: John Carlo I. Sabangan, R.N.

Post  carlosabangan on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 9:51 pm

One of the dominant themes that run throughout this book is that you successfully implemenent its findings, like in many companies, groups or organization to achieve greatness is make an actions by the leader on the brutal facts of reality.

To Ms Klarrisse Esteban:

As you mention that it is his responsibility of the leader to shape the growth of his subordinates. If you were a leader of a company or a group how could you de-motivate your non-productive subordinates or how could you shape the growth of your subordinates especially when problems in your companies, groups, etc, arises?

cpenuliar

Post  cpenuliar on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 10:00 pm

Implementing organizational change is a difficult and critical task. It has always been that way and is getting more so with the accelerated rate of change in most organizations. Most people seem to resist change even if they agree it is needed. If, however, one gets below the surface, people may not be resisting change but, rather, the process or transition that change requires.

Change and transition are not the same. Change is the event and transition is the process of getting there. People often avoid transitioning from what is known to what is unknown (from how things are to how they will be, from saying good-bye to the old way of doing things and saying hello to the new).

The Change Implementation Model consists of seven steps to help implementers address the key transition issues. The steps focus on people, leadership, trust, vision, enablement, celebration, and institutionalization. Effective communication is the important. There must be open, honest communication within each step of the process, and communication must connect the steps to each another. Nothing can damage an effort toward change faster or more permanently than poor communication.

1. Assess and address human concerns
    2. Demonstrate strong leadership throughout the organization
    3. Build trust in the leadership
    4. Clearly articulate the vision co a
    5. Create an enabling environment
    6. Celebrate success
    7. Institutionalize change within the culture
    Klarisse Esteban

Post  Klarisse Esteban on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 10:08 pm

carlosabangan wrote:

To Ms Klarrisse Esteban:

As you mention that it is his responsibility of the leader to shape the growth of his subordinates. If you were a leader of a company or a group how could you de-motivate your non-productive subordinates or how could you shape the growth of your subordinates especially when problems in your companies, groups, etc, arises?

Activities that would emphasize the importance of the individual's role within the network of the company will be the best strategy to awaken the employee's passion for the company. The leader must always make the line of communication between him and his subordinates open. In this way, the employee will feel valued by the company and would therefore work hard for the company he belongs to. Also, to promote the growth of the employee, the leader must always give him challenges. These challenges would make the planning and problem solving abilities of the employee working and accomplishments of such challenges would further emphasize the contributions of the employee to the company.
    Raphael_Desoyo

Post  Raphael_Desoyo on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:06 pm

The synthesis of the group made me realize that being a leader is being the stimuli for change; change that pertains to growth. Growth for an organization is essential for it to survive. It is the main goal for every organization, the role of the leader is take the organization there.
    Going the route for the organization would be very difficult because everyone would show reluctance for change, people would be thrown out their comfort zones and be on their toes once again. This would ensure rough times ahead but everything would not end in vain, in the end of the tunnel there would always be light waiting for those who were brave enough to travel in it.
    As change happens, priorities change but not the mission.. Since this day and age technology controls everything, never forget that manpower is what brought your company to what it is today, give importance to the man, since man can work without technology, not the other way around. Remember Man helped you achieve your mission before and he would never fail you to help you achieve it again.
    Everyone must work hard and everyone must keep the goal in mind to help the leader be effective. Everyone must be on the same wavelength so that the goal would be achieve easier thus making everyone satisfied and fulfilled. The leader must know what is at stake and what is the reward he/she would receive if successful; after all it would benefit all, especially the organization.

“A leader is one who knows the way, goes the way, and shows the way.” – john maxwell

gelatin

GOOD TO GREAT by Collins .Reflection by angeline mosquera

Post  gelatin on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:08 pm

There’s a difference between a job and a career. A job is an obligation performed in exchange for payment. A career on the other hand, is a chosen pursuit, wherein achievement is felt over time. One can choose whether to recognize their work as a job or as a career, and that’s the most essential part for the company to succeed. Borrowing the context of a BUS, if all the passengers perceive that there’s a career ahead in them, then the journey will surely be successful because all have the understanding in unison—to achieve the company’s mission and vision no matter what. Sounds easy, but in reality it’s a lot more complex because a leader cannot simply just tell its members how to feel and act about their job.

Every one of us felt at some point how painful it is to wake up and go to work, to finish the deadlines our boss told us to do, or even to put a smile to a co-worker even if deep down there’s a hatred lingering to our veins because of some misunderstanding, may it be personal or work related. That’s the picture of reality in the workplace. And for me, it’s not a duty of the leader to improve the situation alone; every member should help themselves to become great in every aspect.

Jim Collins reiterated the importance of instilling core values and that’s very true. However, keeping the members motivated for long term is difficult as problems may arise along the way. What if some of the “passengers” make wrong decisions that may jeopardize the company’s welfare? Mr. Collins’ view would be to get them off the bus. It’s one way to solve the problem, yes, but we should not make a hasty judgement on who is deemed to be the right or wrong passenger. It takes time to know a person. We should give room for development. A supportive working environment can create an employee to function to his/her optimum level. People can grow; people can stand up despite failures. And if every option is exhausted, and the “passenger” is still a liability to the company, then letting him/her go should be the last resort.

I believe that being an optimist leader can have a greater value about the company’s success because seeing the goodness and potential of his/her members is more important than focusing on the failures.

Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:35 pm

rochelette_sarmiento wrote:Collins also mentioned that “if you have the wrong people, it doesn’t matter whether you find the right direction; you still won’t have a great company. Great vision without great people is irrelevant.” flower

I agree what you said Ms. Sarmiento. Choosing the right people, molding them to become great people and empowering them will help you build a successful company. I think you can motivate your people through giving them job satisfaction together with different ways of appreciation where they can find self-actualization.

Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:49 pm

markpradow wrote:

We all desire to be good at what we do but I believe that we must strive harder and reach our maximum potential to be able to say that we lived our lives to the fullest. Being great is something that isn't easy to do. Everyone can be good at everything but only people who brave the storm and challenge the odds turn out to be great. These are the people that most of us will remember for life because they were catalysts for change and mold us to what we are.

I agree with you,Mr. Prado. We must strive hard in order to become great leaders. Being great may seem to be a hard thing to do, but I believe everyone can. Take courage, take the challenge.

Being good is something but being great is one thing.
    Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Mon 30 Aug 2010, 11:56 pm

To Ms. Ferrer, as what I have said earlier, If my people will have the vision for the company which I will let them vividly see, they will stay and be motivated to help. With the company's core values planted in their hearts, I think even in bad times such as economic instability, they will strive harder. Because they will not for their own success but also for the company's.

regina_ferrer

Post  regina_ferrer on Tue 31 Aug 2010, 12:26 am

Mr. Collins’ view would be to get them off the bus. It’s one way to solve the problem, yes, but we should not make a hasty judgement on who is deemed to be the right or wrong passenger

I'd like to emphasize that good-to-great leaders are not ruthless meaning hacking and cutting especially on difficult times or wantonly firing people without any thoughtful consideration. They are rigorous leaders who consistently apply exacting standards at all times, at all levels, especially in the upper management. To be rigorous not ruthless means that the best people need not worry about their positions and can concentrate fully on their work. To let people languish in uncertainty for months or years, stealing precious time in their lives that they could use to move on to something else, when in the end they aren't going to make it anyway would be ruthless. To deal with it right up front and let people get on with their lives--that is rigorous.

The good-to-great leaders did not pursue an expedient "try a lot of people and keep who works" model of management. They did not rely on layoffs and restructuring as primary strategy for improving performance. Instead they adopted an approach to take time to make rigorous A+ selection right up front. They would not rush to judgement. Often, they invested substantial effort in determining whether they had someone in the wrong seat before concluding that they had the wrong person on the bus entirely.

Last edited by regina_ferrer on Tue 31 Aug 2010, 12:50 am; edited 1 time in total

camillek

Post  camillek on Tue 31 Aug 2010, 12:31 am

The book gave me a clearer view of what a good leader must be. I have been a leader for so many times already. I am always hesitant to be one since high school since it gives you a bigger responsibility than the rest of the members of the group but as I mature and learned so many things about being a leader; I learned to accept every responsibility given to me. I came to realize that being one is a great opportunity. Why? Being a leader, gives me the opportunity to be of service to others and gives me the responsibility of making a difference in my own little way. It has become my mission in life.

A good leader should be humble. Being humble means hearing the opinions of the members of the group, being sensitive to the needs of the members and showing empathy towards each other in the group. I strongly believe with Jim Collins when he used and described it as a very influential factor of leaders. Leaders should be a role model to their members so that values will be inculcated.

I also loved the concept of the BUS, because it summarizes the value of political will. I admit that it is the value that I lack as a leader. In some groups that I joined, the members ended up fighting with me and criticizing every decision I make. But I came to realize that I should stand with my decisions and should be responsible to every result or conclusion I make.

Lastly, I want to reflect on how a leader must implement change to people who are not ready for it. All will agree that change is something that is difficult to undergo but we should realize that in every little change or difference we make, it can make our lives easier and fulfilling. You may not instill change, as a leader, in an abrupt manner especially to people who are not ready for it, but I think it can still be implemented by making them realize that every step may seem to be difficult but it will still make life easier. People not capable to change are afraid to accept it because of the fact that they cannot accept that the change is the change they are longing for and that it will make their life easier.
    Smile
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Tue 31 Aug 2010, 12:35 am

The book gave me a clearer view of what a good leader must be. I have been a leader for so many times already. I am always hesitant to be one since high school since it gives you a bigger responsibility than the rest of the members of the group but as I mature and learned so many things about being a leader; I learned to accept every responsibility given to me. I came to realize that being one is a great opportunity. Why? Being a leader, gives me the opportunity to be of service to others and gives me the responsibility of making a difference in my own little way. It has become my mission in life.

A good leader should be humble. Being humble means hearing the opinions of the members of the group, being sensitive to the needs of the members and showing empathy towards each other in the group. I strongly believe with Jim Collins when he used and described it as a very influential factor of leaders. Leaders should be a role model to their members so that values will be inculcated.

I also loved the concept of the BUS, because it summarizes the value of political will. I admit that it is the value that I lack as a leader. In some groups that I joined, the members ended up fighting with me and criticizing every decision I make. But I came to realize that I should stand with my decisions and should be responsible to every result or conclusion I make.

Lastly, I want to reflect on how a leader must implement change to people who are not ready for it. All will agree that change is something that is difficult to undergo but we should realize that in every little change or difference we make, it can make our lives easier and fulfilling. You may not instill change, as a leader, in an abrupt manner especially to people who are not ready for it, but I think it can still be implemented by making them realize that every step may seem to be difficult but it will still make life easier. People not capable to change are afraid to accept it because of the fact that they cannot accept that the change is the change they are longing for and that it will make their life easier.
    Smile

ronna_sarmiento

Post  ronna_sarmiento on Tue 31 Aug 2010, 9:51 pm

rochelette_sarmiento wrote:According to Collins, the right people are your most important
    asset. Since you were struck also with the bus concept just like i did.Once you have the right people on the bus,then what do you think will be the next step? The problem on how to motivate and manage people largely goes away.How will you motivate them to stay? How will you motivate them in terms of productivity? self-growth? for the company? Collins also mentioned that “if you have the wrong people, it doesn’t matter whether you find the right direction; you still won’t have a great company. Great vision without great people is irrelevant.” flower

In regards to Ms. Sarmiento’s concern, after I got the right people on the bus, I think it would be necessary to let them appreciate their work in which it is a place to be valued and to establish professional growth as well as self-growth. One good example for that situation would be simple appraisals or rewards. This in turn, would let them feel that they are essential part of the organization. As leaders, we must provide them the opportunities to grow as well as motivating them. Yet in some circumstances, it tends to fade as time will pass by. In terms of productivity, we can motivate them by giving incentives and if at a later, promotion could be a possible accomplishment for them. For the company, work can be much appreciated if they conduct seminars, employee of the month, meetings and performance evaluations to determine their strengths or could be some room for improvement.

It is nice to know that you shared the idea that getting the wrong people won’t lead to a right direction for the reason that if people are clueless or confused with their jobs, the vision of the organization will be never be enlightened. Great people come up to great minds and ideas that will further furnish every little aspect of their jobs and responsibility. These people are the ones that we are looking for but some people are said to be good, then leading to a great individual if being molded in their work with the help of the people that surrounds them. Smile

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 7:41 pm