E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

Managing in Turbulent Times by Peter F. Drucker

Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 1:10 am

Thank you, Ms. Ferrer. I see. Now I know why the IBM company in their hundred years in the business is still at its peak. They ahve survived the turbulent times in the past. Smile
    Klarisse Esteban

Re: Managing in Turbulent Times by Peter F. Drucker

Post  Klarisse Esteban on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 1:26 am

carlosabangan wrote:

1. As you stated for us novice leaders to understand, how it is to be effective and efficient leader?

2. How does this commitment and conviction of our leaders is essential?

An effective leader is someone who could manage well the people, resources and the company. An effective leader constantly evaluates himself whether he is effectively managing the company or if he is just managing the company in a routine manner. An effective leader can strategically prepare the company for the endeavors that he foresees that the company would go through. Also, an effective leader is someone who is not afraid to ask for the assistance of his subordinates. He considers the opinions of his members in deciding for the company as a whole.

Regarding your second question, could you please elaborate what you meant about "commitment and conviction"?
    carlosabangan

Post  carlosabangan on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:25 am

Klarisse Esteban wrote:

Regarding your second question, could you please elaborate what you meant about "commitment and conviction"?

To Ms Esteban:

I just restated your post that I asks for further clarrification, it was on Mr. Desoyo's part stating those statements so why are you asking for me to elaborate and are you not aware on the content on what you posting?
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 12:01 pm

As Drucker stated in the book, “Whether university, hospital or business, the employer will have to move from managing personnel to managing people.”

I also believe with this quote. Being a manager, means being with the people. a manager should be able to be open-minded and understanding especially when an organization is in turbulence. These people will should be treated well because they are also part of the organization / company. working with your people means respecting them and giving them value...

Klarisse Esteban

Post  Klarisse Esteban on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 12:24 pm

carlosabangan wrote:
    To Ms Esteban:

I just restated your post that I asks for further clarrification, it was on Mr. Desoyo's part stating those statements so why are you asking for me to elaborate and are you not aware on the content on what you posting?

Mr. Sabangan, in our synthesis, it was clear on how Mr. Desoyo used commitment and conviction as an important component in the implementation of change by the leader. What I don't understand about your question is that why were you asking if commitment and conviction are essential when the reason was already stressed by Mr. Desoyo? If you would let me restate my question, Mr. Sabangan, what is it about commitment and conviction that you want to know? And if you would mind, Mr. Sabangan, please don't ask if I am aware of the contents of our topic for it is implied that we know our topic and that question is too personal and is improper in a forum like ours. This forum is intended to educate and exchange ideas and not to challenge the knowledge of one another. Thank you.
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 12:53 pm

As Drucker stated in the book, “Whether university, hospital or business, the employer will have to move from managing personnel to managing people.”

A agree with what Ms. Esteban emphasizes regarding the statement. The manager’s role is dependent on the needs of the society. Managing people is being with the people. It means that working with them hand in hand in order to survive the turbulence is really necessary. The employees should be treated and respected well since; they are part of the organization.

“Drucker suggests that doubling up productivity in times of turbulence is what makes a company stand out”.

I totally agree with this statement because doubling up productivity will create opportunities. In the example given to us by sir Butcon, in the movie of Sarah Geronimo and John Loyd, John Loyd as the manager of the company that is in turbulence did not realized at first that there is a big problem already and he even did not recognize that there is a need to change. In the end, he decided to be with his people and help each other out for the survival of their company. He himself helped the employees in making their product and in the end they succeeded and they even got the opportunity of having a new business partner.
    Klarisse Esteban

Post  Klarisse Esteban on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 12:59 pm

camreyes wrote:

I also believe with this quote. Being a manager, means being with the people. a manager should be able to be open-minded and understanding especially when an organization is in turbulence. These people will should be treated well because they are also part of the organization / company. working with your people means respecting them and giving them value...

I agree with you, Ms. Reyes. Being a manager may be a flattering position but it takes so much to be a good manager especially when managing means taking care of your employees as well as those who are dependent on the organization.
    carlosabangan

Post  carlosabangan on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 2:37 pm

[quote="Klarisse Esteban"]
    carlosabangan wrote:

Mr. Sabangan, in our synthesis, it was clear on how Mr. Desoyo used commitment and conviction as an important component in the implementation of change by the leader. What I don't understand about your question is that why were you asking if commitment and conviction are essential when the reason was already stressed by Mr. Desoyo? If you would let me restate my question, Mr. Sabangan, what is it about commitment and conviction that you want to know? And if you would mind, Mr. Sabangan, please don't ask if I am aware of the contents of our topic for it is implied that we know our topic and that question is too personal and is improper in a forum like ours. This forum is intended to educate and exchange ideas and not to challenge the knowledge of one another. Thank you.

To Ms. Esteban

Im looking for your specific answer and example on those statements that's why Im asking and I would like to commend you to look the meaning what a forum is before having with those statements.. thank you Very Happy

Last edited by carlosabangan on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 11:47 pm; edited 1 time in total

ronna_sarmiento

Post  ronna_sarmiento on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:41 pm

Turbulent times really do happen in any particular situation. Leadership play an important role during this time of trouble. However in order for them to be effective, they must have good people who are willing for adjustments that could help the organization to grow. As we become future leaders or managers, we have to keep our employees focused. Turbulence, particularly ongoing turbulence, upsets most people, knocking them off balance. Perhaps the best way to help employees swim the rapids is to clarify for them what is truly important during the chaos and that would be their dedication to work and the willingness to play a part to reach the goal of the organization.

“Drucker suggests that doubling up productivity in times of turbulence is what makes a company stand out. Managers need to commit themselves in increasing productivity without increasing the number of employees.”

In this idea, I think this would be a helpful one. However, difficulties may arise if employees are not willing to double their efforts. I think not all members will agree to a certain rules. Therefore, before doing a plan, we must take into consideration on the employees’ perspective on what changes will be implemented. It is necessary to get their opinions because we need to take care of the people who are part of the organization.

ronna_sarmiento

Post  ronna_sarmiento on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:51 pm

Tet Soriano wrote:
    Klarisse Esteban wrote:

"Commitment and conviction is key to the proposed components that the author suggested in order to establish change they will be the fire that fuels the change needed"

"to manage in turbulent times, therefore, means to face up to the new realities"[/justify]

"doubling up productivity in times of turbulence is what makes a company stand out"

I like these lines from Peter Drucker. They are very powerful and true. Managers should create committed people so that in turbulent times, they will not give up easily. They should have that power of conviction to keep them going. A change cannot be promoted if there is no power.

A time of turbulence, a reality that everyone has to face and manage. If managers turn their back on these difficult times, when will these problems be solved? I believe a great manager works on turbulence promptly.

I like that thought that when a company is facing turbulence, everyone should double up their productivity. A company will not win a battle without unity. Managers should unite their people and increase each of everyone's productivity.

To Ms. Soriano, I would like to ask you if you will be the manager, what specific strategy/strategies will you promote or implement if some of your people or employees are reluctant in increasing their productivity such as overtime work etc.?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 18 Jun 2018, 7:41 pm