E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

Escape from Cluelessness By Bolman and Deal

gelatin

Escape from Cluelessness By Bolman and Deal

Post  gelatin on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 1:02 pm

Group 3 Angeline Mosquera, Christian Penular,Ronna Loreley Sarmiento

Synthesis and reflection by Angeline Mosquera

“The real source of cluelessness is not personality or I.Q. It's in how we think and how we make sense of the world around us.”

Cluelessness as defined in the book comes in different forms. One is personal cluelessness. It comes from not knowing enough about ourselves, our actions, or our impact on other people. The symptoms are blindness and hypocrisy. Our actions are detrimental because we don't know what we're doing. Others think we're pretending to be something we're not. To solve this, we must learn about ourselves and get a better understanding at the people we work with.

A second kind of cluelessness is situational. This is what we suffer when our work environment is too complicated, and we attach on to ideas that aren't as good as they seem. To overcome this, we need to learn innovations that can bring better ideas to bring focus to the chaotic environment.
    Deepest and toughest to deal with is spiritual cluelessness. We're spiritually clueless when we're not sure about our beliefs, our values, or the life path we really want to follow. The only remedy is to come to grips with basic questions all of us need to answer: What does our life mean? What values should we live by? What are we here to do? Modern workplaces offer little help in finding answers to these perplexing queries. As a result, too many of us drift along with little sense of direction and without a moral compass to guide us through the ethically slippery world of work. This deepens our discouragement about work and, ultimately, about life.

We hear news about companies that lead to failure and the author implied that cluelessness among people is the reason behind it. For instance, let’s take a look at what happened to the company in China that sells melamine- tainted milk powder. They violated ethical standards since they are only after the profit. But what happened in the end? There was a closure of the factory that results to loss of jobs in the company. Those who consumed the said product especially the babies were hospitalized. Death sentence was handed down to the men accused of responsible to the tainted milk scandal. Cluelessness among the people working in this company resulted to the destruction of their reputation and downfall of the company.

We quote from the book, “No matter where you are, you always have options. You're powerless only as long as you think you are”. This is certainly true; one can grow to the best of his abilities if personal, situational and spiritual cluelessness are surmounted. If one can find ways in how to deal with the setbacks of the workplace, then the structure of workplace can be better understood and people can work effectively. Effective structures are determined by what you're trying to do, the goals you have in mind, and the people you're working with.
    The book suggests four routes to a better workplace: (1) Create your own do-it-yourself improvement program; (2) band together with some of your co-workers; (3) fight back; or (4) if all else fails and your workplace remains hopelessly toxic, leave and find another.

Guide Questions:
    1. Put yourself in a situation that you are an entry level employee working in a company, and you find out that the company has activities that do not comply with your morals (like in the case of melamine tainted company). How would you handle the situation?
    2. Cluelessness happens not only in a company but in any situation that involves collaboration between a leader and its members working in a supposedly clear goal. In a fairly recent hostage situation that happened in the Philippines wherein HK tourists were died, cluelessness was very apparent in the police force. Do you agree? If so, what actions should have been done in terms of getting the right people to handle this situation?
    3. Do you have any experience to share that made you feel cynical about your work? And what are the ways that you did to improve the situation.
    4. As a manager, how can you prevent cluelessness in the workplace? In terms of helping the members grasp the goal of the organization and promote growth and development
    Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 2:31 pm

gelatin wrote:

“No matter where you are, you always have options. You're powerless only as long as you think you are”.

This line struck me. Even in our everyday decisions in life, we always have options. We should decide wisely-- to do what is right or to do what is wrong. Power is that thing we need in order to go on the right path.

If I will be an employee of a company that does not comply with my morals, I will talk to my manager and address my concern.I will confront them that what they are doing is immoral. If they do not take proper actions, I will report them. You have told earlier that we should fight back. Then I should have that strength to fight for my right.

As for the hostage taking issue, I think I will just get the right people in focus and move out the wrong people--those who cannot help and those that may cause more problems and confusion.

As a manager, I will orient my people so that they will not be clueless of what is happening in the organization. I will see to it that they are updated and of course I will lay down all things that they need to know about the organization. I will engage them and also let them participate in decision making so that they will grow as well.

Did the author mention about certain problems that may arise if an employee is clueless? What are the risks?

cpenuliar

Escape from Cluelessness

Post  cpenuliar on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 2:58 pm

In Escape from Cluelessness, shows constructive ways to improve the work environment. The book aimed to removing the organization’s cynicism.

The book begins with an admittedly unscientific quiz to help determine if your organization suffers from Dilbertism. If you answer yes to at least six of the 14 questions, you should read the book. Questions include: Do you ever feel like a doormat, powerless to affect things that really matter? Do relationships at work remind you of a dysfunctional family? Does your employer seem to embrace the philosophy that the beatings will continue until morale improves?

The authors talked about the system dynamics, or the basic code you should know to make sense of the workplace. It discusses the major steps from cluelessness to a better work experience.
    For instance, the first step is understanding the organizational politics. Here, readers learn how to map their own political terrain by accepting political reality, assessing the interests and clout of key players, seeking allies and leveraging their strengths and cutting their weaknesses.

The book also discusses how to work with people, recognizing that needs and feelings, strengths and weaknesses, quirks and idiosyncrasies are always with us. The authors show how to use those traits to your advantage.

Understanding how hierarchy works helps you escape from bureaucracy. The book shows readers how to study the formal system of their organizations, how to blame less and understand more and how to swim upstream by doing something different from what is expected.

Learn how to crack your culture's code by deciphering the subtle or hidden clues in any office, such as your company's architecture, what people wear, how they communicate and how they socialize.

The goal is to choose a life path and to find meaning in your work.
    carlosabangan

John Carlo I. Sabangan, R.N.

Post  carlosabangan on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 4:08 pm

As a leader,the primary task is to create a culture wherein the people have tremendous opportunity to be heard. Hence, i will have to provide an equal opportunity to my subordinates to be heard in their concerns and reactions they want to pursue in the company especially to those who are newly employed.

In case of the situation what Ms. Mosquera said, "In a situation that you are an entry level employee working in a company, and you find out that the company has activities that do not comply with your morals (like in the case of melamine tainted company). How would you handle the situation?"

As an employee, in situation that our work environment is too complicated, i would rather voice out my concerns and aspirations rather than tolerating those unpleasant acts and practices just for the sake of "pakikisama" to my collegues. I will practice what is right and what is best for the company in reason that how can you surpass this cluelessness in your company if you know to yourself that there is something wrong on what you doing.

It is been said that a good leader is a good follower but a good follower doesn't mean that you have to always to follow.

In case that my concerns and aspirations was not given an opportunity to be heard, I would rather resign and not to pursue my career in this kind of company for the reason that I will not grow as a person and as an employee and the virtue, morals, and beliefs to what is right to practice will only be violated.

Raphael_Desoyo

Re: Escape from Cluelessness By Bolman and Deal

Post  Raphael_Desoyo on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 7:47 pm

"The goal is to choose a life path and to find meaning in your work"

in the reflection that mr. penuliar posted the line above hit me the most, to us entry level nurses this line should be the our guiding principle when undertaking a nursing job or any job at all. work shouldn't be so hard when you are doing it, it should be fun,light and fulfilling. but the situation we are in its very difficult to keep that in mind because we are a society thats very money driven and due to the fact the nurses aren't compensated at all.

this would serve as the challenge to our nursing leaders we have today because they need to figure out how to make the workforce happy and content. everyone needs to work for the goal they want to achieve. from the government, the healthsector and the members.

In the end people would need is to choose a life path and to find meaning in your work thus helping everybody in the process
    Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 8:25 pm

I agree with your thoughts Mr.Desoyo. Nursing leaders must take the challenge and so do we, the future nursing leaders.

I also like that line from Mr.Penuliar that you have stated above Mr.Desoyo. It is true that we choose our path and we should choose what is right. It is our responsibility to give meaning to our work,whatever it may be. As for example, the volunteer nurses even unpaid should extract meaning in their work. Even without salary, they should still have passion for the sick and to serve patients not merely looking for an experience.

gelatin

Post  gelatin on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 8:48 pm

Tet Soriano wrote:
    gelatin wrote:

If I will be an employee of a company that does not comply with my morals, I will talk to my manager and address my concern.I will confront them that what they are doing is immoral. If they do not take proper actions, I will report them. You have told earlier that we should fight back. Then I should have that strength to fight for my right.

As an employee, in situation that our work environment is too complicated, i would rather voice out my concerns and aspirations rather than tolerating those unpleasant acts and practices just for the sake of "pakikisama" to my collegues. I will practice what is right and what is best for the company in reason that how can you surpass this cluelessness in your company if you know to yourself that there is something wrong on what you doing

We commend Ms. Soriano and Mr. Sabangan for standing up for what they believe in. Political mess happens in any company, the tendency for the subordinates is to follow the boss’s orders for they might feel trapped in a situation that could derail their promising career.
    According to the book,” politics are a daily reality in every human group. Because people are often naturally selfish or looking out only for themselves”. Two basic reasons were identified why they are political, (1) Individuals want different things and (2) a world of scarce resources makes it impossible for everyone to get everything they want.

Having said that, the book pointed out strategies that may resolve the conflict. Mr. Penuliar mentioned about mapping the political terrain which means: first is to accept the political reality. Second, assess other members with the same belief and interest. In this way, power can be obtained to induce boss’s rethink strategic interest. Cluelessness in the part of the boss can be detrimental to the company. Since the boss headed for a wreck, it’s up to the members whether to collude with a bad decision or not.

To succeed, people needed political smarts and a better strategy. Above all, people needed to understand how to get and use power.

ronna_sarmiento

Post  ronna_sarmiento on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:02 pm

As we grow older, our road map to reality will continuously evolve and eventually, we will become part of the organization wherein we are going to meet and work with a lot of people, facing challenges and new learning that could shape us and build up our outlook in life. At a certain point in our lives, there will be times in which we speculate if this organization we are living and working with is actually making a difference or does it direct us in a world of confusion in which we are clueless on what steps should be made in order to step back and reverse back to reality. In the middle of our different line of businesses, we’re going to meet serious dilemmas about our organizational capability to grow, change, and stick around long enough to nurture our motivation, values and viewpoint in life.

We all know that life in our work is confusing and very unpredictable and we must find a remedy on our cluelessness. According to the book, the first thing that must be addressed and reflected upon is to have a clear thinking on our actions as well as our impact to other people. It is essential to learn about ourselves and getting enhanced at understanding the people we work with. Better relationships start with knowing ourselves first. I think that if we could be able to sense it out, we can appreciate our work without the feeling of being burnout and unsatisfied with our working environment. Also, we must clearly know what is going on within our work and in the organization itself. We all get confused on the systems and political games, the thing that we must really recognize and understand. Lastly, we must be able to know our beliefs, values and the life we are directing. We could only grasp its significance if we can reflect upon these questions: What does our life mean? What values should we live by? What are we here to do? So, think back and reflect if these questions are discernible in our mind. The real source of cluelessness is not personality or I.Q. It's in how we think and how we make sense of the world around us.

It was noted in the book that work presents challenges, creativity, achievement, contribution, and excitement. It's an expression of who we are. It's a big part of what we do and how we contribute to the world we live in. In the near future, we could be a manager or a position that will be look upon by the people. We should take into consideration that manager can do a good job by being cognisant that he/she is in the center of diverse networks of relations and that the thing he/she can handle is his/her side of the relationships, being sensitive and perceptive as an observer and listener to his/her environment. And last but not least, a good manager never forgets that he/she is part of self-regulating nets and not outside them. Sad to think but these are not look upon by managers as well as those who are in the higher position. Our poor understanding of these is what makes life, work and managing at the same time frustrating and fascinating.

Guide Questions (originally from the first post):
    1. Put yourself in a situation that you are an entry level employee working in a company, and you find out that the company has activities that do not comply with your morals (like in the case of melamine tainted company). How would you handle the situation?
    2. Cluelessness happens not only in a company but in any situation that involves collaboration between a leader and its members working in a supposedly clear goal. In a fairly recent hostage situation that happened in the Philippines wherein HK tourists were died, cluelessness was very apparent in the police force. Do you agree? If so, what actions should have been done in terms of getting the right people to handle this situation?
    3. Do you have any experience to share that made you feel cynical about your work? And what are the ways that you did to improve the situation.
    4. As a manager, how can you prevent cluelessness in the workplace? In terms of helping the members grasp the goal of the organization and promote growth and development
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:26 pm

“No matter where you are, you always have options. You're powerless only as long as you think you are”.

I am also struck with this quote. I agree with Ms. Mosquera in saying that this quote is true. It is definitely true in all aspects of life. The only solution to either personal, situational or spiritual cluelessness is knowing yourself first. If one knows himself or herself as a person then he or she will know every action he or she will make and be sensitive enough to face every situation he or she is in. This is tested whenever we make decisions.

If I were in the situation wherein I found out that my company's activities do not comply with my morals, I will do my best to make a difference in the company. I will try to initiate change first through focusing on the values and beliefs that the company must change.

Regarding the hostage taking of Hongkong nationals, I think that it is an example of a situational cluelessness. In handling the situation, I believe that it would better be handled if the police force planned well and that communication is the key to it.

To prevent cluelessness, one should know himself or herself first, keep yourself grounded, communicate and be with your people.

camreyes

Post  camreyes on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:38 pm

"The goal is to choose a life path and to find meaning in your work"

In the reflection that mr. penuliar posted the line above hit me the most, to us entry level nurses this line should be the our guiding principle when undertaking a nursing job or any job at all.

In the end people would need is to choose a life path and to find meaning in your work thus helping everybody in the process.

I agree with Mr. Desoyo's reaction to the quote cited by Mr. Penuliar. Being a novice nurse myself, I admit to have difficulties in what to pursue after graduating and having my license as a nurse. I ask myself things like, the following:

-What is your goal in life?
    -How is this related to your career?
    -Are you happy with what you are doing?

I believe that my goal and purpose in life is being of service to others. I think that being of help to others is why God made me.
    markpradow

Post  markpradow on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:51 pm

I think a lot of new grads or neophyte employees suffer from cluelessness. The "real world" for them is very different from what they thought it was. When I was a fresh grad, I was a very idealistic man. I thought all hospitals would be managed according to what I read in my management books but I was wrong. It lead to a clueless me.

Cluelessness is the first stage of adjustment that new grads face. The task of the manager for me is to provide a simple and informative orientation to new staff so that they know what they are going to be part of. It's important for the two parties to have an agreement on to what they can do and gain from each other. Signing a contract means committing yourself to be a part of a company that would enable you to grow as a professional. It's also an obligation to do your best for the sake of the company and also to believe in the philosophy of it.

Cluelessness comes when you don't care what the company is about and all you want is financial rewards. Most workers today are clueless. Most of them are the contractual factory workers whose main point of working is just to survive and get their contracts renewed. I am not judging them because I know how hard it is to find a job.

Putting myself in the shoes of a manager means I would take certain steps to allay the anxiety and cluelessness of my subordinates.
    Being a good example. As a manager, I would work and act like how a manager should in accordance to the vision of the company. When they see their manager doing it, they will grasp the idea of what their company is about.
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:51 pm

"It is essential to learn about ourselves and getting enhanced at understanding the people we work with. Better relationships start with knowing ourselves first."

"...we must be able to know our beliefs, values and the life we are directing."

I strongly believe with what Ms. Ronna said. I also reiterate that in order to not be in the state of cluelessness, ONE MUST KNOW HIMSELF OR HERSELF FIRST. Our values are inculcated in ourselves. To be able to lead our life better, we must first know every strength and weakness we have.
    carlosabangan

John Carlo I. Sabangan, R.N.

Post  carlosabangan on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:58 pm

gelatin wrote:

assess other members with the same belief and interest

To Ms. Mosquera, you have mention about political mapping as your comply with my post, as we all know it is difficult to found other members with the same belief and interest that you are pursuing in instance of being "newbie" in one area for example in an organization in reason that those members that you are confronting already created a same culture even they practice/do right or wrong as long as they compensate with their actions.

I would like to ask, what is the best way to do or what can you recommend, in situation that you found it difficult or none of them (members) as you assess have the same belief and interest as yours?
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 10:58 pm

"Putting myself in the shoes of a manager means I would take certain steps to allay the anxiety and cluelessness of my subordinates."

I totally agree with this Mr. Prado and I would like to add that besides showing empathy, we should also be sensitive to our subordinates/ co-employees. In doing this, they will be able to realize how important they are not only to you as their manager but also to the company.

markpradow

Post  markpradow on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 11:06 pm

camreyes wrote:"Putting myself in the shoes of a manager means I would take certain steps to allay the anxiety and cluelessness of my subordinates."

I totally agree with this Mr. Prado and I would like to add that besides showing empathy, we should also be sensitive to our subordinates/ co-employees. In doing this, they will be able to realize how important they are not only to you as their manager but also to the company.

In this kind of situation, humility should come in. As a leader, we should be like parents to our subordinates. We should guide them in being better professionals and instill the idealism of the company.

cpenuliar

Post  cpenuliar on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 11:23 pm

Raphael_Desoyo wrote:"The goal is to choose a life path and to find meaning in your work"

to us entry level nurses this line should be the our guiding principle when undertaking a nursing job or any job at all. work shouldn't be so hard when you are doing it, it should be fun,light and fulfilling. but the situation we are in its very difficult to keep that in mind because we are a society thats very money driven and due to the fact the nurses aren't compensated at all.

this would serve as the challenge to our nursing leaders we have today because they need to figure out how to make the workforce happy and content. everyone needs to work for the goal they want to achieve. from the government, the healthsector and the members.

In the end people would need is to choose a life path and to find meaning in your work thus helping everybody in the process

Great reflection Mr. Desoyo. The problem in our society is that the workforce generally do not feel contentment especially if the paycheck that employees received is not enough to support a family. Given the opportunity to become a manager, how can you build loyalty to your staff in this kind of situation?

ronna_sarmiento

Post  ronna_sarmiento on Wed 01 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm

carlosabangan wrote:

I would like to ask, what is the best way to do or what can you recommend, in situation that you found it difficult or none of them (members) as you assess have the same belief and interest as yours?

It's already given that people have different beliefs and interests which made us unique individuals. But individuals are capable of adapting in their environment. We can learn a lot from other people. Maybe, some of it will be integrated within our own point of view in life. For instance, some of the members in an organization may have different beliefs and interest but in terms of the organization's goal, leaders and members became unified to achieve better outcomes.
    carlosabangan

Post  carlosabangan on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 12:03 am

ronna_sarmiento wrote:

It's already given that people have different beliefs and interests which made us unique individuals. But individuals are capable of adapting in their environment. We can learn a lot from other people. Maybe, some of it will be integrated within our own point of view in life. For instance, some of the members in an organization may have different beliefs and interest but in terms of the organization's goal, leaders and members became unified to achieve better outcomes.

To Ms Ronna Sarmiento

I agree with your comply that individuals are capable of adapting in their environment but not all people are able to do it due to some reasons and some people have poor adaptabilty that why Im asking this question:

What is the best way to do or what can you recommend, in situation that you found it difficult or none of them (members) as you assess have the same belief and interest as yours?

gelatin

Post  gelatin on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 12:08 am

carlosabangan wrote:
    gelatin wrote:

assess other members with the same belief and interest

To Ms. Mosquera, you have mention about political mapping as your comply with my post, as we all know it is difficult to found other members with the same belief and interest that you are pursuing in instance of being "newbie" in one area for example in an organization in reason that those members that you are confronting already created a same culture even they practice/do right or wrong as long as they compensate with their actions.

Thank you for posting that question Mr. Sabangan.

I cannot say that there is a blue print on what is the best way to handle situation wherein members have conflicting belief and interests. But I do believe that it is possible to form a personal growth coalition. In the book, the author suggested to create a positive learning conspiracy. Staff can talk about the best and worst features of their jobs. Brainstorm ways to make work more rewarding and fun.

For the past days, we have been discussing that change can be difficult especially if a certain “culture” had been established even before an entry level employee came into the picture. Some managers may be defensive about new twists they didn't think of themselves. The voice of those in an entry level may encounter deafness from this type of “clueless” management. But many will be receptive if you can explain the merits of your idea.

We are a rational being. People will listen eventually and weigh the options. If the new idea will make the company progressive then I don’t think why one should be afraid to challenge the existing culture.

If my idea is wrong, and the existing culture is still the best for the company and employees’ interest then I must be receptive and be part of the team.

And I quote, “Most teams have guys who want to win, but aren't willing to do what it
    takes. What it takes is to give yourself over to the team and play your part. That may not always make you happy, but you've got to do it. Because when you do, that's when you win.”

gelatin

Post  gelatin on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 12:30 am

markpradow wrote:I think a lot of new grads or neophyte employees suffer from cluelessness. The "real world" for them is very different from what they thought it was. When I was a fresh grad, I was a very idealistic man. I thought all hospitals would be managed according to what I read in my management books but I was wrong. It lead to a clueless me.

Cluelessness is the first stage of adjustment that new grads face. The task of the manager for me is to provide a simple and informative orientation to new staff so that they know what they are going to be part of. It's important for the two parties to have an agreement on to what they can do and gain from each other. Signing a contract means committing yourself to be a part of a company that would enable you to grow as a professional. It's also an obligation to do your best for the sake of the company and also to believe in the philosophy of it.

Cluelessness comes when you don't care what the company is about and all you want is financial rewards. Most workers today are clueless. Most of them are the contractual factory workers whose main point of working is just to survive and get their contracts renewed. I am not judging them because I know how hard it is to find a job.

Putting myself in the shoes of a manager means I would take certain steps to allay the anxiety and cluelessness of my subordinates.
    Being a good example. As a manager, I would work and act like how a manager should in accordance to the vision of the company. When they see their manager doing it, they will grasp the idea of what their company is about.

Beautiful reflection Mr. Prado!
    We couldn't agree more that being a good example to the subordinates is essential. And to add to your significant insights, certain qualities of a great leader were discussed in the book. The first is focus: a clear sense of where you're trying to go. A second quality of great leadership is passion: a deep personal and emotional commitment to the work, the people, and the place. A third characteristic of great leadership is wisdom: the ability to understand that things are complicated without
    becoming immobilized. The final characteristic of great leadership is courage.
    carlosabangan

Post  carlosabangan on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 12:46 am

To Ms Mosquera:

Well said explanation and I strongly agree with your statement that "The voice of those in an entry level may encounter deafness from this type of “clueless” management" well in fact they have the knowledege and idea on standards since majority of them are newly graduates but their ideas and knowledge on standards differs from the company that they are working on what they are practicing and believing.

cpenuliar

Post  cpenuliar on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 1:11 am

[quote="camreyes"

I believe that my goal and purpose in life is being of service to others. I think that being of help to others is why God made me.
    [/quote]

I agree with Ms. Reyes. No one shall work for money nor work for fame. But each for the joy of the working you gained.

Work offers challenge, creativity, achievement, contribution, and excitement. Its an expression of who we are. Its a big part of what we do and how we contribute to the world we live in. In Kahlil Gibran words, "Work is love made visible."
    Klarisse Esteban

Post  Klarisse Esteban on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 1:38 am

Spiritual cluelessness as a reason behind why organizations fail is a new perspective in management. Most people ignore the spiritual aspect when inside an organization when , in fact, it should be the core of an organization. It should define the purpose and the reputation of the organization and its members. Spirituality is the core of a person's existence, so why should it not be the core of the organization formed by people.

Morality comes along with spirituality. It goes hand in hand in defining a person. Leaders and managers should always consider these two aspects since their decisions affect everyone involved with the organization. I always believe that those who do things according to their passion and judgement of what is right and wrong are those who succeed with their intentions.

As a future leader of an organization, I always do the things that I believe that is right and would not cause harm to others. I always see to it that the things I do would be for the benefit of the many. And when the day comes that I am put to a situation that I am clueless, I know that my moral foundation will be my basis to overcome that situation.
    Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 2:33 am

gelatin wrote:

To succeed, people needed political smarts and a better strategy. Above all, people needed to understand how to get and use power.

You are right, Ms. Mosquera. Power is useless if not properly used.

regina_ferrer

Post  regina_ferrer on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 6:42 pm

In Escape from Cluelessness, the authors turn Dilbertesque cynicism on its head to show constructive ways to improve the work environment. There are several things a leader/manager can do to make your work environment a positive one and to facilitate a feeling of cooperation, teamwork and joy among your staff. Some of these are:

1. Build Trust

Trust is the basic tenant for all relationships, so building an environment of trust is one of the most important things you can do to create a positive work environment. It's a philosophy that must be demonstrated in everything you and your staff does. Trust is about doing what you say you are going to do and being who you say you are. It's about showing your staff in everything you do that you are reliable, responsible and accountable, and that they can rely on you for consistency. Also letting them know you expect the same from them. When your words and behavior are congruent you foster trust.

2. Communicate positively and openly.
    In order to create a positive work environment each employee needs to feel valued. This is best accomplished through your listening to each person and honoring each one for what s/he has to say. By doing this you will show that you value and respect every individual. One important aspect of communicating openly is to meet with your staff and discuss your organization's philosophy, values, mission and goals. Ask for their ideas and thoughts on how they individually and as a team can help your unit to exemplify these. Then lead a discussion on the ways they all see these being fulfilled within your work group. After your staff has shared their ideas, take time to share your own vision of how you see everyone working together. Share how you see everyone working together as a circle in which everyone is equal and on the same level, rather than a pyramid where supervisors and administrators are at the top, and the staff is at the bottom. Everyone is equal because every job is equally important in fulfilling the mission of the organization. Also share your work ethic, commitment to the job and facility, and your values. Talking about and modeling your own work ethic will set an example of what your expectations are for your staff and their behavior.

3. Expect The Best From Your Staff
    There is a concept called 'The Self-Fulfilling Prophecy' which states that people generally will perform in the way others expect them to perform. So, if you have high expectations for your staff, treat them as if they are capable, competent people and expect them to function as such, they will rise to the occasion and be the excellent employees you see them to be. However, if you micromanage them, expect them to be mediocre and treat them as if they can't function well on their own, that is the behavior they will give you. A good supervisor always has high expectations for his/her staff and treats them accordingly.

5. Give Recognition and Appreciation

Whenever you can, 'catch people being good' and make sure they and others know about it. Give recognition and appreciation to everyone at every opportunity. One of our basic human needs is to feel we belong to something bigger than ourselves, and for many people that need is met by being part of a supportive work group. As a supervisor, part of your job is to create a feeling of unity among your staff. This unity will help your team members feel valued and that they belong. As a result they will want to be at work, tardiness and absenteeism will be minimal, your team will function smoothly and your unit will be better able to carry out the missions and goals of your organization.

6. Be Approachable
    Always present an attitude of approachability to your staff and customers. Indicate by your manner that you are available and happy to speak with people from all levels and positions. Also, always be prepared to listen to whatever they want to share with you, and validate what you've heard. If they have concerns, tell them you will look into it and get back to them by a certain time. Then be sure you do! It's important that every day you go out and walk about your business in order to connect with people. Be sure that as you walk through the business you smile and make eye contact with everyone you pass. Act in a friendly manner, call people by name, be approachable, and show interest in what's going on. Also, have an open door policy, where anyone at any level is welcome to come talk with you if they feel the need.

7. Make Staff Evaluations a Positive Experience
    One of the important duties of a boss is to give staff evaluations. This should be a positive experience for your staff members, and is a great opportunity for you to praise them for their cooperative spirit and all their efforts in doing an excellent job. It's also a good time to thank them for participating by bringing their special characteristics and talents to the unit. Even if you need to discuss some areas in which the employee may need improvement, you can still make it a positive meeting by focusing on the good and all that they are doing right.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 18 Oct 2018, 7:57 pm