Managing in a Time of Great Change by Peter F. Drucker

Tet Soriano

Post  Tet Soriano on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 11:58 am

A SYNTHESIS by:
    Camille Cristina Reyes and Theresa Soriano

Peter F. Drucker: The Godfather of Modern Management

There’s nothing permanent in this world. Everything changes fast. Time can change things drastically. In Peter Drucker’s book, “Managing in Time of Great Change”, he emphasized on the changing environment that we live in. The book talked about the management, information-based organization, economy, and society. The book encapsulates the emergence of information as executive’s key resource and as the organization’s skeleton.

Drucker ‘s Theory of Business refers to the assumptions that shape any organization’s behaviour, dictate its decisions about what to do and what not to do, and define what the organization considers meaningful results. They are about market—customers, competitors, their values and behaviours together with a company’s strengths and weaknesses. These assumptions are what a company gets paid for. Also, a valid theory of business has an environment, mission and core competencies that fit reality and fitted to one another. The theory of business must be known and understood throughout the organization and it has to be tested constantly.

“Enabling a business to make its future, is what planning for uncertainty means”.

According to Drucker, uncertainty can become an opportunity. With strength analysis and matching of company’s strengths to the changes that have been made, unexpected things in a business will turn to an advantage. Don’t be afraid to respond to every opportunity encountered.

One of the highlights of this book is 5 deadly sins of business. These must be avoided in order to protect a business.

1. The worship of high profit margins and “premium pricing”
      -This opens the doors for competitors.
      2. Mispricing a new product by charging “what the market will bear”
      3. Cost-driven pricing
      -The only thing that works is price driving.
      4. Slaughtering tomorrow’s opportunity on the altar of yesterday.
      5. Feeding problems and starving the opportunities.
      –Only opportunities produce results and growth.

There’s no excuse for managers to indulge in the five deadly sins. They are temptations that must be resisted. One solution is to start with what the market is willing to pay.

“Family serves the business, not business is run to serve the family”. Business cannot be mixed with family. As a solution to problems like when there is an incompetent family member in the organization/ company, is to entrust the succession decision to an outsider who is neither part of the family nor the business. Hire a competent non-family member employee rather than saving cost for a lazy family member employee. This is true and we suppose is one of the values that gave the Chinese people a success in their economic status today.

Drucker also mentioned about the six rules of presidents. A president is committed to the people and the law so he must not stubbornly do what he wants to do. He must have a mindset on the needs of the people. A leader like a president should not micromanage thus making sure that operations are done appropriately. He also shouldn’t have a friend in the organization that may tend to abuse their position and power. Power as a president should be used responsibly.

In his book, he also talked about the economy’s power shift. He reiterated that what underlies the shift is information. Analyzing information from a simple action done by the customer to a data that will help the company improve their service. Through the real-time information handled by a company or an organization, decision-making power of the people will also be tested. Another implication of the power shift is that companies today tend to organize themselves internally around the flow of information; we now call it today as ‘re-engineering’. Companies today found that they did not need many good management levels. The biggest implication is that, according to Drucker, the economy is changing structure. This change is from being an organized company around the flow of things and the flow of money; it is becoming organized around the flow of information.

Since, changing time is the main focus of the book, it also described how new markets are. Economic growth and expansion today is not focused on the consumer demands anymore, rather they seek for accessible new markets such as communication and information, environmental market, need of repair, replenish and upgrade physical infrastructure and investment to finance survival into old age. Marketing relationships should be taken care of, customer rather than own product.

In time when there is a need to change, the author believes every manager has to build the management of change into its very structure. Every organization has to prepare for the abandonment of everything it does. Every organization should plan abandonment rather than trying to prolong the life of a successful product. There should be self improvement. Another thing is that, they should learn how to exploit their knowledge to develop the next generation, and they should learn how to innovate. The author mentioned that “Knowledge is the primary source of individuals and for the economy overall”. A specialized knowledge can only become productive if it will be integrated to a task. Only a focused and common mission will hold the organization together and enable it to produce. Without a mission, credibility will be lost. The organization’s most essential resource are the qualified knowledge people and the greatest asset are people.

Each organization has a value system that is determined by task. He explains that for the organization to perform to a high standard, its members must believe that what it is doing is in the contribution to community and society on which all others depend. Therefore, members must believe on what they are doing in order to have a high standard performance.
    Work for the organization, not for the boss. Business growth will be attained if there is ownership meaning a company must know their strengths so that they can market themselves, and partnership, which entails working with people.

“Goods, no matter how greedily desired, change consumption; information changes imagination. Goods change how we live; information how we dream. Goods change how we see the world; information changes how we see ourselves”. Change should be seen as a good choice in making a difference.

Guide questions:
    1. If you will be a manager, how will you handle your team? What characteristics of a leader that you will see to it that you possess?
    2. As a leader, how will you deal with our changing environment?
    3. Considering that you are a nurse, supposed that you will be inheriting a big family business, will you accept it? How will you run it?

Tet Soriano

A Reflection: Appreciation and Gratitude to Peter Drucker

Post  Tet Soriano on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 1:02 pm

Amazed by the brilliance of Peter Drucker, I agree that he is truly the godfather of modern management. As we live in a fast changing world, we should be flexible to change. The effective strategies during the ancient times may no longer be effective today. A great manager is smoothly flowing and responding to change, not being left out, not dwelling on the past.

I am encouraged by his word saying uncertainties can become opportunities. Sometimes when we face uncertainties, we always think of its negative effects on us but we fail to see the opportunities it may bring us—opportunities of growth and strength. Now, I have a new perspective.

Reading on the 5 deadly sins of business, I am afraid that not all businessmen today can see these hindrances to business growth. I have observed many violators in the market. Worshipping profits is the heaviest sin I think that should be avoided.

With the author’s concept on family business, I am reminded of the Korean series that I watch. Most of them inherit big companies from their family, as it is a big deal to them that their eldest son will inherit the business. Seeing their incompetence, still their family pushes them to lead a big company. Though it is fictional, I just thought that if a family member will inherit a business, the inheritor should be inclined to the business from the very start so that he may be knowledgeable, skilful, and passionate as the old boss. I gained new insights about family managed business. I always thought that the best employees are the family members, not realizing that business cannot be mixed with family. In addition, one cannot be focused on two things. So if you are a nurse, then be a nurse. If you are businessman, then be a businessman.

Being a leader or a manager is a difficult task, but it is a challenge I want to take. One day, I will be a leader not a ruler. I will more responsible than powerful. I will be a partner to people. I will lend my ears to customers and heed their wants and needs. I will truly love and respect my people.

“Believe that your contribution will make a great change, aim for a high standard”.

camreyes

My Reflection

Post  camreyes on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 2:03 pm

“The economy is changing structure. From being organized around the flow of things and the flow of money; it is becoming organized around the flow of information.”
    The world is fast changing, from technologies to new ideas. As time pass by we should accept and be aware of the fact that there is a need to change. A simple idea or information coming from a gossip may seem to be simple and vague but through this simple data, anyone can make a difference. In the book, there are several examples of companies who, because of simple information from a non-customer, were challenged to change despite risks. Information through good communication can be of great help to companies, organizations or countries that are bothered because of change.

“Good, no matter how greedily desired, change consumption; information changes imagination. Good change how we live; information how we dream. Good change how we see the world; information changes how we see ourselves”. Change should be seen as a good choice in making a difference.

As a soon to be manager or leader of any organization, I realized that change can lead to a great outcomes. Until now, I can’t imagine myself doing something for change to happen. I have thoughts that if I want to make things happen, there are a lot of obstacles and barriers that will come my way. Challenging your decisions, political will and many others can be the barriers. Another is you may be disliked by the people in your organization, in your battle in making a difference in order to be a good organization. Making a choice on doing good for the organization will definitely lead to change.

In order to manage change, one should look into his or her own self first before dealing with something big. Changing your own is quite difficult if you don’t know what the meaning of your life is and what you want in life. Comparing it to an organization, if you as a manager or an employee do not carry and practice the values of an organization, you will not be able to deal with any problems you will encounter and you will not see the need to change.

Klarisse Esteban

Re: Managing in a Time of Great Change by Peter F. Drucker

Post  Klarisse Esteban on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 3:38 pm

" According to Drucker, uncertainty can become an opportunity. With strength analysis and matching of company’s strengths to the changes that have been made, unexpected things in a business will turn to an advantage. "

These statements reflect optimism. Optimism, for me, is the most ideal trait of a leader. With optimism, you can indeed see opportunities in conflicts and make most of the conflicts a learning experience, not just personally but also for the growth of the organization.
    The leader's outlook in life is an essential aspect for the growth of the organization for it is the leader who envisions the future of the organization.

"Economic growth and expansion today is not focused on the consumer demands anymore, rather they seek for accessible new markets such as communication and information, environmental market, need of repair, replenish and upgrade physical infrastructure and investment to finance survival into old age."

Also, the leader must always be creative in seeking opportunities for the organization. He must widen his imagination and knowledge for the benefit of the organization and the people who depends on it.

"A specialized knowledge can only become productive if it will be integrated to a task."

I agree with this statement. Knowledge can only be useful if you apply it on practice. Also, knowledge can only be significant if it had made an impact on people.

"Members must believe on what they are doing in order to have a high standard performance."

It is the responsibility of the leader to motivate his subordinates. And no other motivation is as great as understanding the worth of what you are doing.

"Considering that you are a nurse, supposed that you will be inheriting a big family business, will you accept it? How will you run it?"

Just like what the rich dad thought the author in the suppelemental reading, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki,I would run the Family business by hiring the best staff to run it and still continue being a nurse. Running the family business may give me financial satisfaction but only doing the profession where my passion is will give me a deep personal satisfaction.

Raphael_Desoyo

Post  Raphael_Desoyo on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 4:48 pm

Change should be seen as a good choice in making a difference

Change is an inevitable phenomenon that happens in everyone. Even organizations succumb to change; in positive or negative ways. New information and new technologies are popping everywhere; there is no way other than accepting and adapting to these.

A simple idea can initiate progress. With just a mix of trying new ideas, having the right attitude, accepting competent employees and having good communication would help gain advancement in any company or organization. As the saying goes, “nothing comes to those who wait”; we just have to try in order to make that uncertainty into an opportunity.

To achieve this advancement, someone must initiate it… a leader. A leader is someone who initiates change, who does not just think about himself but considers the needs of people, and someone who is able to handle his power responsibly. I am a future leader. In order to achieve that, I must learn to overcome barriers that prevent me from being that. But most of all, I must initiate change in myself first in order to make a difference.

regina_ferrer

Post  regina_ferrer on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 7:07 pm

I believe in order to be an effective leader, one must possess the following characteristics:

1. TRUSTWORTHINESS - A leader needs to be trusted and be known to live their life with honestly and integrity. A good leader "walks the talk" and in doing so earns the right to have responsibility for others. True authority is born from respect for the good character and trustworthiness of the person who leads.

2. ENTHUSIASM - A good leader is enthusiastic about their work or cause and also about their role as leader. People will respond more openly to a person of passion and dedication. Leaders need to be able to be a source of inspiration, and be a motivator towards the required action or cause.This kind of leader will not be afraid to roll up their sleeves and get dirty

3. CONFIDENCE - In order to lead and set direction a leader needs to appear confident as a person and in the leadership role. Such a person inspires confidence in others and draws out the trust and best efforts of the team to complete the task well. A leader who conveys confidence towards the proposed objective inspires the best effort from team members

4. TOLERANCE OF AMBIGUITY AND CALMNESS - Good leaders are tolerant of ambiguity and remain calm, composed and steadfast to the main purpose. Storms, emotions, and crises come and go and a good leader takes these as part of the journey and keeps a cool head

5. FOCUSED - A good leader, as well as keeping the main goal in focus, is able to think analytically. Not only does a good leader view a situation as a whole, but is able to break it down into sub parts for closer inspection. While keeping the goal in view, a good leader can break it down into manageable steps and make progress towards it

6. COMMITTED TO EXCELLENCE - The good leader not only maintains high standards, but also is proactive in raising the bar in order to achieve excellence in all areas.

ronna_sarmiento

Post  ronna_sarmiento on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 10:09 pm

Changes really do happen anywhere or everywhere. We are all bound to change in every way that will keep us growing as a person, could be in an organization and in a wide variety of perspectives. The environment, mission and core competencies are important aspects that must be discernible in an organization. The environment must be favorable in every member as it will be the key to appreciate and value their work. Mission must be clearly recognized and understand from the very start for the reason that every action that they do is towards the goal and purpose of the company / organization. Core competencies are necessary because these are critical to a business in achieving competitive advantage.

“Family serves the business, not business is run to serve the family.” People are the one who manage the business, not the business will control them. Business is something to be valued, not just merely collecting a lot of wealth and money without considering the return in the people who are being part of the organization.

As stated earlier, marketing relationships should be taken care of, customer rather than own product. Product would be an instrument towards success, but behind that success are the people who gave their best effort to accomplish what is needed to be done. Leaders play a significant role to integrate every work of the people towards the mission of the organization.

In order to deal with our changing environment, the first step would be to become aware of the situation. It would be better to ask what is currently going on with our job. Recognizing their capabilities is also important because it will determine if the people around you are ready for a change. Adapting to change frequently requires the effective use of all our acquired skills.

“Knowledge is the primary source of individuals and for the economy overall”. In a fast-changing work environment, skills also become superseded. To be prepared to deal with change successfully, it is important to build skills through learning as learning is said to be the key to success but there are some things that must be integrated with learning.
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 10:10 pm

Klarisse Esteban wrote:

Optimism, for me, is the most ideal trait of a leader. With optimism, you can indeed see opportunities in conflicts and make most of the conflicts a learning experience, not just personally but also for the growth of the organization.
    The leader's outlook in life is an essential aspect for the growth of the organization for it is the leader who envisions the future of the organization.

I strongly believe with what Ms. Esteban said about the ideal trait of a leader. As a leader of the organization, you ought to be the one who gives encouragement to the organization in times of turbulence and challenges. The leader should be the source of strength of the organization. you will be able to do so if you value every opportunity that may come your way.
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 10:34 pm

Klarisse Esteban wrote:

"Considering that you are a nurse, supposed that you will be inheriting a big family business, will you accept it? How will you run it?"

Just like what the rich dad thought the author in the supplemental reading, "Rich Dad, Poor Dad" by Robert Kiyosaki,I would run the Family business by hiring the best staff to run it and still continue being a nurse. Running the family business may give me financial satisfaction but only doing the profession where my passion is will give me a deep personal satisfaction.

I commend Ms. Esteban for saying that she will only be fulfilled and have a deep personal satisfaction if she will pursue her profession as a nurse. In this statement, your goal in life is clearly stated.
    carlosabangan

John Carlo I Sabangan, R.N.

Post  carlosabangan on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 10:39 pm

If I’m a leader dealing in the midst of changing environment, first and foremost I will evaluate my environment that there is a truly change and subsequently acknowledge the fact that there is changing environment. After accepting those facts I will transpire to be open to my subordinates, hearing and weighing their opinions and propositions they want pursue. Taking consideration also to the opinions and needs of the people around me in reason that they are the one who receives my output like in a business, considering their criticisms and negative opinions, which may serve as an asset on providing me a design in dealing, handling and confronting changing environment.

If I’m supposed or ask to inherit a big family business, I would agree into it. We nurses are capable of entering a business or we nurses encompass a right in terms of entrepreneurship. We nurses can even put up our own clinic that gives education to those people emphasizing on teaching about disease prevention and management, as well as wellness promotion. We can do it on our own not just striving only ourselves to be hired in a good hospitals or other institutions hence, we nurses can run a business which in return we can earn our own money.

Of course it was understood that we run a business intended for earning money however running a business is not only focusing on the money that we earned day by day nevertheless we run a business in reason that we want our customers to become happy, making sure that the products and services that we offer made the consumers satisfied and contented. Compelling the money that they are paying will please beyond their expectations.

Therefore, if I will run a business, I will make sure that the products and services I offered have quality as well as the staff that I'm handling has eminence by means of being polite, courteous, can formulate new ideas and propositions that will aid the business to thrive, and being customer-oriented which stumble upon their needs. Assessing and taking in consideration on what my customers wants as trends changes overtime.
    markpradow

Post  markpradow on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 10:44 pm

Change is inevitable. Change is constant. Change is a cycle.
    We all have to be handle certain changes in our lives because it is expected of us.
    Our developmental tasks itself is but a change. We were given free will by the Lord to help us cope with changes the way we want it.

Change is either good or bad. In a company who is going through a series of change, a manager's role is very significant and crucial. It can either make or break the company and considering the fact that it employs a lot of people, it will affect the lives of not only the workers but their families as well.

The moderator's example of the Chinese is a very good example of a family business economics. I admire how the Chinese handle their business because they tend to not aspire of a great amount of return of investment in just a shot span of time, they know that it would take years of hardwork to get the investment back. An important thing that they do is they train their son's to take care of the business from a very early age that's why when the eldest grow's up he already know hows to manage their company.

I think manager's should invest on it's people at a very early stage. If they want their future to be bright amidst changing times, they should train people who will stay and live and breath the company's philosophy. Most workers these days jump ship every now and then because they do not feel that they have room to grow. Give your worker's room to grow and be actually a part of the company. Who would manage the company and become top managers but the rank and file workers itself. Do not treat them as just subordinates because remember, they are the future. Teamwork is essential for a company. A good manager will think of ways to motivate the team to bring great ideas to the table. It doesn't hurt to make your subordinates part of the family.
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 11:04 pm

Raphael_Desoyo wrote:Change should be seen as a good choice in making a difference

To achieve this advancement, someone must initiate it… a leader. A leader is someone who initiates change, who does not just think about himself but considers the needs of people, and someone who is able to handle his power responsibly. I am a future leader. In order to achieve that, I must learn to overcome barriers that prevent me from being that. But most of all, I must initiate change in myself first in order to make a difference.

I strongly believe with what Mr. Desoyo said. A leader should be the initiator of change. But change cannot be attained alone by the leader. A leader should be able to impart the members to the needs of the organization and how change can be done in order to make a difference .

I would just like to catechize, what the barriers, you had mentioned, that you say will prevent you from being a leader?
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 11:37 pm

ronna_sarmiento wrote:

In order to deal with our changing environment, the first step would be to become aware of the situation. It would be better to ask what is currently going on with our job. Recognizing their capabilities is also important because it will determine if the people around you are ready for a change. Adapting to change frequently requires the effective use of all our acquired skills.

I agree to what Ms. Ronna Sarmiento is saying that being aware of the needs of the company is the first step in dealing with changing environment. The needs of the people and the company should be recognized for them to be able to participate in attaining change.

You will soon be a manager of an organization and by that, I would like to ask, how you will be able to let your people and the organization recognize their capabilities, strengths, weaknesses and needs that would help entail change?
    Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 11:49 pm

To Ms.Ferrer, you are right. Those characteristics of a leader that you have mentioned will make you a great and effective leader.

According to Drucker, you need a very focused, a very clear kind of leadership.

Will you encourage your employees to become a leader too? Why?
    Raphael_Desoyo

Post  Raphael_Desoyo on Thu 02 Sep 2010, 11:58 pm

camreyes wrote:
    Raphael_Desoyo wrote:Change should be seen as a good choice in making a difference

I strongly believe with what Mr. Desoyo said. A leader should be the initiator of change. But change cannot be attained alone by the leader. A leader should be able to impart the members to the needs of the organization and how change can be done in order to make a difference .

I would just like to catechize, what the barriers, you had mentioned, that you say will prevent you from being a leader?

Thank you for the question Ms. Reyes. there are two barriers that hinders us to be leaders; intrinsic and extrinsic barriers.

the intrinsic barriers are what the person is feeling regarding leadership. whether reluctancy, selfishness or just plain cowardice this prevents the person in bringing out his potential. a solution against the intrinsic barriers is thorough self-awareness exercises for him/her to better understand him/herself more and be a better leader.

the extrinsic barriers would be logistics, members, management, etc. these would play a great role in bringing out leadership because they are not entirely in your control thus making your leadership a lot more difficult. as a solution, the leader with a strong conviction to the cause, he/she would treat these as challenges to leadership and if he/she overcomes it it would further help the organization achieve its goal or mission.
    Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 12:10 am

Thank you Mr. Sabangan. It is true that evaluation is important. Drucker mentioned that assessment should be done in an organization. Openness, it is very important. The author suggests that leaders should also be listeners.

That is nice to hear that you will take the challenge to manage your family business. But what if the business will demand time and you only have to choose one? What will you choose, nursing or business?

carlosabangan wrote:

Therefore, if I will run a business, I will make sure that the products and services I offered have quality as well as the staff that I'm handling has eminence by means of being polite, courteous, can formulate new ideas and propositions that will aid the business to thrive, and being customer-oriented which stumble upon their needs. Assessing and taking in consideration on what my customers wants as trends changes overtime.

These thoughts imposes good leadership living in you. Give respect so that you will gain respect.

How do you handle changes in your life? Do you feel discomfort when being submerged to change because of our fast changing environment?
    Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 12:30 am

Thank you for sharing your thoughts, Mr.Prado. You have mentioned that a manager’s role is crucial and significant.
    Having been pressured, how will you handle change together with your people?
    If you will have a son who has a different passion in life as yours and assuming that you are expecting him to be taking your place, what will you do? Will you force him to do what you want?

You are right that workers should be given room to grow. The author suggests that a leader should build at team and unite as one.

gelatin

Managing in a Time of Great Change- a. mosquera

Post  gelatin on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 1:01 am

The topic about “Managing in a Time of Great Change” made me think about close-minded people I have encountered because I thought, they are the one who would benefit most from the greatness of this book’s lesson. Those close-minded people are everywhere and I know that all of us have met one at some point. I would be hypocrite if I’d say that I am not one of them. Because I know that I may have portrayed this kind of behavior especially during situations when I think that I am right. Sometimes, I forget that I also need to weigh the pros and cons of the certain change because I was so self-absorbed about my own conviction

So why am I saying these things? I believe that as a leader, he must possess a quality of being open-minded. Mr. Prado mentioned that “Change is inevitable. Change is constant. Change is a cycle”, I think therefore, progress will be hindered if a leader is so close-minded and conceited because that would lead to being biased in his decision about change. It will be hard to welcome new innovations if a leader is very convinced that his judgement is so perfect that any intentions that would oppose him is considered a crime.

As a leader, one of the greatest mistakes that he may commit is to have a clouded judgment simply because of resisting the change. If a leader does not want to be trapped in an obsolete world, then he must know how to accept change.

regina_ferrer

Post  regina_ferrer on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 1:23 am

In my opinion, a great leader is a person who never stops training his people to become like him or even more than him. Leaders must learn that their real power comes from their employees. It is by unleashing the individual talents and skills of other people that they can achieve their intended results. This leader should view his employees as future leaders of the company and inculcate in their minds that they can be leaders in their own little way thus making them more motivated and passionate in their work and eventually making the company the leading company amongst others. Also, this leader must be able to look into his past that once he became a follower before becoming a great leader. With this in mind, he will be able to apply his knowledge and empathize with his employees leading to the success of the company and his employees as well.

"Empowerment becomes a powerful motivational tool because it puts people in control of their own destinies."

carlosabangan

John Carlo I. Sabangan, R.N.

Post  carlosabangan on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 3:17 am

Tet Soriano wrote:

But what if the business will demand time and you only have to choose one? What will you choose, nursing or business?

How do you handle changes in your life? Do you feel discomfort when being submerged to change because of our fast changing environment?

To Ms. Soriano:

Regarding on your questions as you comply with my previous post, if business will demand my time, as an alternative of choosing one I would put into a certain extent to innovate my own business, by putting nursing into business. On the other hand you don't have to necessitate any more to choose or relinquish neither one of your career that you are pursuing with.

In my own opinion, it was the most practical way for me to instigate if I'm stuck with this kind of situation, taking in consideration of the circumstances of us, Filipino nurses nowadays at this point in our country were mostly are unemployed, to make a change, why not try to utilize the resources that you encompass and innovate it synonymously to your profession.

In addition, I would rather suggest that it would be better if there is also a change in perspective is us registered nurses that nurses are not only found and push ourselves coming up for a hospitals that will employ us hence, we can utilize our skills and knowledge as a nurse in other areas.

Change per se happens every time it is already part of human existence that’s why I always put into my mind that there is no constant in this world, “preparedness and awareness” is a must to handle this condition. If you have this, why feel a discomposure if your already prepared and aware in handling in the midst of this kind of situation.
    camreyes

Post  camreyes on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 10:29 am

Thank Mr. Desoyo for answering my question.

Raphael_Desoyo wrote:

Thank you for the question Ms. Reyes. there are two barriers that hinders us to be leaders; intrinsic and extrinsic barriers.

the intrinsic barriers are what the person is feeling regarding leadership. whether reluctancy, selfishness or just plain cowardice this prevents the person in bringing out his potential. a solution against the intrinsic barriers is thorough self-awareness exercises for him/her to better understand him/herself more and be a better leader.

the extrinsic barriers would be logistics, members, management, etc. these would play a great role in bringing out leadership because they are not entirely in your control thus making your leadership a lot more difficult. as a solution, the leader with a strong conviction to the cause, he/she would treat these as challenges to leadership and if he/she overcomes it it would further help the organization achieve its goal or mission.

I think one of the things we could do to prevent these barriers is to be confident and to develop your political will so that as a leader you can stand behind everyone and the organization and you will be respected by others as well.
    Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 11:54 am

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Ms. Mosquera. Close-minded people have blockage to change because they insist that they are right. It is true that progress is hindered.

But what about if your manager is the one close-minded? Assuming that you are an employee and you know that almost all of your co-employees are complaining and demanding for change. Will you do something? What will it be and why?
    Tet Soriano

Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 12:10 pm

I agree to what Ms.Ferrer said that a great leader does not stop training his people. Learning should be continuous. According to Tom Peters, “Leaders don’t create followers, they create leaders”. Drucker also mentioned in his book that one’s people are his greatest asset in the organization. In order to become a great leader, you need to be a follower.

"There's a basic philosophy here that by empowering...workers you'll make their jobs far more interesting, and they'll be able to work at a higher level than they would have without all that information just a few clicks away.” –Bill Gates

ronna_sarmiento

Post  ronna_sarmiento on Fri 03 Sep 2010, 11:24 pm

camreyes wrote:
    ronna_sarmiento wrote:

I agree to what Ms. Ronna Sarmiento is saying that being aware of the needs of the company is the first step in dealing with changing environment. The needs of the people and the company should be recognized for them to be able to participate in attaining change.

You will soon be a manager of an organization and by that, I would like to ask, how you will be able to let your people and the organization recognize their capabilities, strengths, weaknesses and needs that would help entail change?

As a manager, assessment is necessary to become aware of the level of their competency and also, to recognize areas for improvement that are necessary to built professional growth. As part of the assessment, job performance evaluation or appraisals are very crucial to address these concerns. It will be the way of evaluating the talent, skills and abilities of your people. It also provides an opportunity for the employee and manager to have a one-on-one discussion of where the employee stands and what it takes to get to the next step. In the future, identifying and strengthening their capabilities would help them to be promoted. Very Happy
    rochelette_sarmiento

Post  rochelette_sarmiento on Sat 04 Sep 2010, 12:50 am

Just like Spiderman said in the movie, "With great power there must also come — great responsibility!” The same thing with being a leader, you have to take on a great responsibility. You have a promise to change the organization for the better. If you thought of this statement as,” I’m only managing an organization, i’m not out to change the world,” then you must learn to be a good manager not a leader. Leaders make CHANGE to happen through people. Managers control things. What the world needs are great leaders. Lead people...manage things.

To become an effective leader, you have first to lead by example. Not only will this let your section know what to do, but it is also a very kind method of leadership. You were most likely chosen because of your playing or marching skills; now is your time to pass these on.

Great leadership skills are difficult to develop, and most people simply don't have them. They are happy to follow a great leader, so long as they and the leader share the same vision and goals. The follower must believe that they will be rewarded for their hard work. This gives them an incentive to strive, even in difficult situations. A strong leader will help their followers see what rewards they will obtain by following them. The greatest leaders will always explain to their followers what risks are involved with a specific operation, and will give them all the tools and knowledge needed to achieve a desired goal.

Good leaders will have followers who will be with them throughout the course of their lives, unless the leader does something to destroy the bond of trust that they've built up with them. A good leader will always have a vision. This is not something that is merely written down or explained to followers. It is a vision that will pass through every aspect of the organization, and may even become a culture.

People get comfortable performing tasks and processes in a unique manner. This comfort give them with the security that they are the masters of their environment. Some of the things that cause them to be afraid of change include a dislike of a disruption in their lives, looking like a fool by not being able to adapt and learn, their jobs might become harder, and a lose of control.

Leaders can help the change process by changing their employees' manner from avoidance into acceptance. This is often best accomplished by changing avoidance questions and statements into acceptance question.

Although each person will have a different reaction to change, they often show their attachment to the group by joining in a consistent response to the change. For example, one person's personal experience might be so intense that she works harder when a change is introduced, while the rest of the group's social situation is strong enough that they warn to strike because of the change. Although each person in that group might want to something different, such as place more demands, ignore the change, work harder, etc.; the need to belong to a group often sways individuals to follow a few individuals — “

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 24 Feb 2018, 12:22 pm