E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia

AntonJayTan

Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia

Post  AntonJayTan on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 10:09 am

"Writing is a socially form of schizophrenia"
    A reflection on Chris Fleming's Diseases of the thesis

As Edgar Allan Poe quoted, "Men have called me mad; but the question is not yet settled, whether madness is or is not the loftiest intelligence -- whether much that is glorious -- whether all that is profound -- does not spring from disease of thought -- from moods of mind exalted at the expense of the general intellect"
    Like any other skilled writers and geniuses, Edgar Allan Poe suffered from alcohol drinking problem and manic-depressive condition known today as bipolar disorder. Many people have long shared Poe's suspicion that genius and insanity are entwined (Jamison, 2006).The PhD writer Chris Fleming probably experienced the same feeling that Edgar Allan Poe felt as he outlines some of this telltale symptoms in his article.
    According to Fleming (2006), “Writing a thesis isn’t always smooth sailing: indeed, there is an entirely legitimate place for anxiety, as it can inform us that something is wrong. “It may or may not be the case that many geniuses are tortured” (p. 30).
    Another influential writer and professor named David Foster Wallace committed suicide by hanging himself. Wallace's father reported that Wallace had suffered from depression for more than 20 years and that antidepressant medication had allowed him to be productive. Wallace graduated with summa cum laude honors and in 1987 received a Master of Fine Arts in creative writing from the University of Arizona. Fleming and Wallace are both writers. They can be considered geniuses of this modern day but in some point in their lives, they experienced mental illnesses. (Depression, mania, paranoia)
    History is full of depressed geniuses; the reality is that depression is called "depression" for a reason and as E.L. Doctorow quoted, “Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia”, maybe now I can diagnosed myself with schizophrenia.
    References:
    1."Diseases of the Thesis." Australian Universities Review 48.2 (2006): 30-1
    2. http://www.oflikeminds.com/GeniusMentalIllness.htm
    3. "Poe, Edgar Allan." Encyclopedia Britannica. 2008. Encyclopedia Britannica Online.
    4. http://health.howstuffworks.com/mental-health/mental-disorders/mad-genius3.htm#
    5. http://www.mkanderson.com/portal/archives/1277

Questions to ponder:
    1.Can we relate ourselves to Fleming's experience, like fraud paranoia and reading depression?
    2. Can we now consider ourselves candidates of the said mental illnesses? and Why?

Last edited by AntonJayTan on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 2:56 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : follow up questions)

ylaganroidah

re: questions to ponder

Post  ylaganroidah on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 9:20 pm

Own my opinion I can say that I have my experience these two things, fraud paranoia and reading depression in my life. When I was still in my elementary years, we are asked to write a paper regarding a certain topic. It is somewhat like an exercise regarding how to compose a paragraph using appropriate used of words and punctuation marks. So while doing the paper, I tend to do really good on it. I wanted that my paper be recognized. So I ask my parent to help in doing the paper so that I would turn out to be really good. But my parents would always, tell me that I have to do it on my own and they just have to check on it if I am already done. This may be a part that fraud paranoia was in me. I was trying really well on something that I know that if it turned out to be good, it was not really me who did it. I was pretending to be someone else and hiding my own capability in doing things on my own. When it comes to reading depression, their also came I time that I wanted to buy a whole series of a book like the “The Gift”. Because when I was reading it, it struck my interest and wanted to read the other series. But when I realized that I can’t finish it and it would just be stuck in one place, I never insisted in buying the book. Also way back in college, when I have to report on something, I tend to go the library and get all the books that is related to the topic. After hours of reading, I wouldn’t be able to, harvest any thoughts from the book I have gathered. It’s as if, I didn’t understand anything from those books. But I know that I have read something and understand it. I might say that I would not consider myself on the said mental illness because it didn’t give me a negative outlook on things. I might say that I just give me realization on things that I have experienced in the past that I can use in the future. For me I think that it is just one of the coping mechanisms that I have gone thru to surpass all the trails in life.
    roseanne.catalan

re: questions to ponder

Post  roseanne.catalan on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 1:16 am

I can say that I experienced fraud paranoia and reading depression at some point in my life. Every time I am new to my environment, new classmates, new teachers, I tend to feel out of place and useless to discussions. My resort is always advance reading to keep my self on tract. But I can definitely reassure you that I am far from having mental illness because I can divert my attention out of frustrations and depression.
    chel_calvelo

Re: Writing is a socially acceptable form of schizophrenia

Post  chel_calvelo on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 10:46 pm

I can say that in some point in my life I experienced reading depression specially when reviewing all the related literature about my research problem.I tend to read and read until i realized that i was overwhelmed with all those informations. I think this is normal because of our desire to gain more knowledge and to find answer to the things we don't know. But with the help of our family, mentors, friends and colleagues who are there to help us, we can overcome this. Razz Now, i just read things that have the greatest significance about my study!. I learned not to force my self to read too much which sometimes cause my dismay when i wasn't able to find what I'm searching for. Razz Laughing

therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 on Thu 23 Sep 2010, 7:40 pm

I absolutely admit that I have experienced fraud paranoia and reading depression. I or we may consciously or unconscoiusly knew when or where it appeared in our system. For now, whenever I feel these, I am now aware and tries to conquer it. But if i can't figure it out, I will ask the help of my friends for me to be able to handle or cope with it.
    But if Chris Fleming experienced these mental illnesses he sited, what do you think is his coping mechanisms in conquering it?
    aimee

Post  aimee on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:29 am

There is a fine line between creativity and madness. Some say artsy types are prone to mental illness and others argue that it is the other way around. Depressed people craves for an expressive outlet while Manic encounters creative outbursts. This probably explains why creativity has been associated with mental disorders. In Chris Flemming's article he pointed out that due to the pressures and stress induced by thesis writing, the authors may reach to an extent of going mad. I have been a victim of this disease several times all throughout my academic years, but in a very mild state. Sometimes even if you are ready , even if its enough, you feel otherwise. You question your competency. -Fraud paranoia. If I panic I go into reading depression. I would have this uncontrollable urge in buying or at least acquiring a copy of references. Funny thing is , I haven't even started reading those books. It just gives me this unexplainable feeling of security. I owe it all to my mother's love and support which aided me in coping up. Had I not have a her in my life I would have gone mad a long time ago.
    lol!

Last edited by aimee on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 2:44 am; edited 4 times in total
    maricca_18

Post  maricca_18 on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:51 am

I admit that i experienced fraud paranoia and reading depression. especially when there are a lot of things to write and read in a period of short time. and also if you need to read and read because it is only needed. But when im experiencing this kind of situation, i'm just looking at the positive way or the benefit of it to prevent reading depression, like thinking that it is good for my brain and serve as an exercise and do some breaks or commercials so i won't feel that im tortured. in writing, im not that creative but im still looking forward to learn how to write in creative way.
    AntonJayTan

Post  AntonJayTan on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 8:47 pm

So it seems that almost all of us experienced those things as well.
    In my opinion, we could surpass this so called fraud paranoia and reading depression if we read a lot. Reading will enhance our knowledge, boost our confidence because we know, we have sufficient knowledge to share.

Keep posting your replies and opinions.cheers
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 3:54 pm

yes, i can relate my own experience with the ones mentioned by fleming but not to the extent that i can no longer concentrate on what i should accomplish; i've experienced the kind of depression which i guess was the same with others; like when i'm too pressured of what i have to do, and when there's nothing to do, which resulted to my tendency of eating rather than doing nothing at all! Laughing Laughing ahahaha... pig
    that's my way of diverting the negative thoughts i have! bounce

but can we all be a candidate for such mental illness???
    right after i read this question, my mind was like yes!, definitely!

but then analyzing the question further, i must say that i have to satete my conviction like this.....

we all go through such psychological happenings like these; but each of us have our own understanding and way of looking/judging such occurence. similar sitution can happen into two persons but it doesn't imply that it brought similar upshot or impact to both of them...someone who termed and considered it depressive may not be in the case of the other...

possibilities of whether or not, a candidate to such mental illness, i think can be of personal concern.

in my own opinion, we all have the possibilities of suffering in such CONDITION but not necessarilly as candidate of ILLNESS itself; our susceptibility of acquiring one, and our mechanism of responding to such stimuli varies from each other. i'm only referring to the CONDITIONS that is usually perceived as mutual/equal to all of us- the depression we perceive as our natural way of responding to demanding circumstances, but not the sole CHANCE of being candidate in the phase of ILLNESS itself. considerations to alot of factors which contribute to our chances of being a candidate should be made...

you may consider someone to be insane, but others see him as normal...

hmmmm... i don't know, maybe i just tend to over analyze the phrase that we can be all a cnadidate to such mental illness... or i just dont want to be considered being a candidate for that matter?!!! hahaha Very Happy i can't imagine myself being insane.... affraid

maricca_18

Post  maricca_18 on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 4:20 pm

for me, i think anyone can have this kind of illness but it depends upon the person who can aquire this. all of us are experiencing it especially right now when we are doing our thesis so we must set up a goal or do something to prevent this. any suggestions to prevent those things?
    for me i think we need to balance all the things the we are doing.control ourselves. ^_^
    AntonJayTan

Post  AntonJayTan on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:29 pm

As khayee had stated, " we all have the possibilities of suffering in such CONDITION but not necessarily as candidate of ILLNESS itself; our susceptibility of acquiring one, and our mechanism of responding to such stimuli varies from each other."

And Yes,definitely it's true that we can suffer this condition/illness as well.We could have such illness but it depends on the person's coping skills.
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 12:14 am

Like a Star @ heaven Yes, we are all candidate in acquiring this disease. But we are far from totally having it because we have everybody’s helping hand. Along this journey, please always be guided by this familiar maxim, “no man is an island”. Don’t carry the cross alone because everybody is willing to carry it with you.

Have fun writing! lol!

flower

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 24 Apr 2018, 11:07 am