E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

A Discussion Paper: Disease of the Thesis by Chris Fleming

ylaganroidah

A Discussion Paper: Disease of the Thesis by Chris Fleming

Post  ylaganroidah on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 2:23 pm

A Discussion Paper: Disease of the thesis By Chris Fleming
    by Roidah Ylagan

“Writing a thesis isn’t always smooth sailing: indeed there is an entirely legitimate place for anxiety, as it can inform us that something is wrong. It may or may not be the case that many geniuses are tortured – but we shout be hesitant to, as a logician might, affirm the consequent.” (Fleming, 2006). It is one the lines that struck me.
    Thesis is an approach that is characterized by the depth of inquiry into topics and its extensive construction and evaluation of the agreements. Most would relate it to a kind of mental tic that keeps a researcher keep going that others may have lost their patience in going so. It is natural to be very frustrated with doing research but once you got a little training it would be easier to deal with it.

In the concept of fraud, there may projection which is intended to explain how much meaning can become reversed under the motion of stress and the reversal lead to delusional thinking. (Zuk, 2010). When somebody hides in fraud, everything that he may does may not really be who the person himself. It’s like hiding under a personality that can impress other people. This happens when you are confronted to a new environment. In can also be related with writing, since you have to impress the reader, you write on what you think can impress them not knowing you can’t do it.

Some people might spend their time reading books and other material when they become depressed. This helps them become relax and calm when handling stress. There is a study that was designed to test the view of depression from the effect upon effortful and not automatic aspect of reading. (Henderson, J. 1987). It showed that there are no relationships of depression to word recognition and word attack scores. That depression may not have an effect on how a person comprehends on the content of the book. But because of depression the person tends to gather as many books a possible that she/ he wanted to be pre-occupied with reading materials.Delirium is most often caused by physical or mental illness and is usually temporary and reversible and this may be associated with how a person writes a thesis. It is when a person it not sure of what is the point he wants to address and that’s the time he becomes confused of the topic. He begins to hallucinate things that make his cognitive thinking be impeded. Motion sickness is more on what a person perceives in his environment. If that person looks on things as if it is well organized when to others it isn’t. I may also appear on the thesis he is going to write, since it would reflect that his work not well organized. And when everything looks good to the eyes, there you would find that everything you worked on is all messed up. There comes the realization that you need to do it and start with it again.

A hypegraphia for instance is a driving compulsion or an urge to write. According to Flaherty, Alice (2004), it is an incurable disease of writing. It is when a person begins to write that person can’t stop from writing. They write on anything they find possible to write on. Writing is governed by the different regions of the brain. Cerebral cortex controls the physical movement of the hand. The drive to write is controlled by the limbic system that is deeply buried in the cortex which governs emotion, and said to regulate the human being’s need for communication. People with temporal lobe epilepsy have a higher tendency to develop hypergraphia than other individuals. As of current, hypergraphia is understood to be triggered by changes in brainwave activity in the temporal lobe. It is also associated with bipolar disorder. Manic and depressive episodes have been reported to intensify hypergraphia symptoms. Additionally schizophrenics and people with frontotemporal dementia can also experience a compulsive drive to write.

There have been a few other authors who wrote so much one might conjecture that they had an abnormal writing condition. Consider Frederick Faust who wrote over 530 books during his lifetime. Isaac Asimov, the science fiction writer, wrote over 400 books in his life; and Dame Barbara Cartland composed over 700 Romance. Georges Simenon wrote 136 regular novels and 84 mysteries; and Arthur J. Burks, a legend among pulp writers, wrote over a million and a half publishable words per year. The author of Alice in Wonderland, Lewis Carrol also had written over 98,000 letters during his lifetime. On the other hand a block write is the opposite of the hypergraphia. Scholarly writing is often ridiculed in the media were criticism arises. (Giltrow, J., 2002). Those who have hypergraphia, drive to creativity are neglected thus it may lead them to more criticism.

Questions to think about:
    1.Are there other factors that can contribute to how a person writes?
    2.Will reading Chris Flemming's article, help a person become a better writer? how?
    3.When one part of the disease is solved, does a person becomes a better writer? explain

Bibliography
    1.Zuk, G. & Zuk, C. (2010). Freud’s theory of paranoid delusion based on the Schreber case contrasted with related theories [Abstract]. Contemporary Family Therapy, 17(2), 209-216. DOI: 10.1007/BF02252359
    2.Henderson, J. (1987). Effects of depression upon reading: a case for distinguishing effortful from automatic processes [Abstract]. Percept Mot Skills. 64(1):191-200. Retrieved from http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
    3.Flaherty, A. (2004). The midnight disease: The drive to write, writer’s block and the creative brain. New York, NY: Houghton Mifflin Company.
    4.Giltrow, J. (2002). Academic Writing: Writing and Reading in Disciple. Mississauga, Canada: Broadview Press.
    5.Fleming, C. (2006). Diseases of the Thesis. Australian Universities Review, 48(2). Retrieved from http://tombammann.org/wp-content/uploads/2006/06/Disease_of_thesis.pdf

Last edited by ylaganroidah on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 9:44 am; edited 1 time in total
    cezzy

Re: A Discussion Paper: Disease of the Thesis by Chris Fleming

Post  cezzy on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 11:40 pm

It is natural to be very frustrated with doing research but once you got a little training it would be easier to deal with it.

I was happy to know that my feelings of frustration while writing is a normal feeling. Actually, I like to write anything but on the expense of nothing. Sound's crazy right. Maybe just like others, I like to write to express my feelings, however, when I am forced to write like in the case of doing a thesis, sometimes I can't think and write what I wanted to express or impart to the reader. Well, practice makes perfect. Smile I hope in the end of our stay here at UERM, I'll be confident and proud that I was able to finish a thesis of my own. Smile

For question no. 1, I think there are a lot of factors that contributes to the way how a person writes. Like from an article of teaching styles online (http://www.teachingstylesonline.com/factors_affecting_writing.html),such factors are listed below:

Ř The relationship between the writer and the reader whether it is at a formal or intimate level.

Ř The purpose of the activity - whether the message is conveyed for giving information, seeking permission, soliciting advice and so on.

Ř The previous knowledge of the reader – whether the message is new to him, partly known or known from a different angle.

Ř The type of message - whether it is simple, complex, involves technical expressions or not.

Ř Intended response - whether the writer wants to please the reader, persuade him, threaten him or enrage him.

It was stated in that post, that these factors should all be consider so that the writer and the reader can clearly understand and communicate well on each other.

2. Reading your post can help a person become a better writer because it gives knowledge on the reader. Like for instance, giving a discussion about hypergraphia. Although we are nurses and we are in the field of learning and studying science, I first heard that term from your post and it got my attention. From reading your post, I just want to know, how will you look at hypergraphia? is it a blessing or a curse?

3. I think the definition of being a better writer depends on how the person views it. Is a better writer means he/she was able to published a thousand books or theses, or is it define as ability to follow rules of writing. Because in my prerogative, those two are different from each other since one can write books or thesis without following the step by step procedure of proper way of writing and vice versa. Smile
    PriNcE RJ

Post  PriNcE RJ on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 12:15 pm

When one part of the disease is solved, does a person become a better writer? explain

"A Master of Science in Nursing is rightful to be called so when he never stops acquiring knowledge through research and in part, writing more researches that would benefit the field of nursing." - Sir Butcon, 9/13/10

If we assume and acknowledge that these psychological diseases would affect us at a certain point in time through our thesis writing, then none of these diseases would be resolved. Because if we continue on pursuing what a titled MSN must pursue in life, then there are a lot more researches and thesis to do. Thus it is logical that we would experience these diseases time and time again.

ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 2:52 pm

Ms. Makalintal, Thank you for you response!!

For me, I will look at it as a talent because some can write in creative ways and can even publish a number of books that are being recognized and not look at it as a hindrance since it is called the incurable disease. It can be either a blessing or a curse. A blessing because a lot of well know writes have been recognized for what they have done for literature. Lewis Carrol, for example, the author of “Alice in Wonderland” had temporal lobe epilepsy. Temporal lobe epilepsy is the best-understood cause of hypergraphia, although not the only one. (Flaherty, 2004). A curse, be in a way that it already affects his life. For instance, Fyodor Dostoevsky had begun to have spell of altered consciousness. During those spells he would turn his head and cry out and his limbs would thrash violently that he often hurt himself, he pronounced mood swings, compulsive gambling, attacks of rage and he spent ten years in prison. (Flaherty, 2004).

Alice Flaherty, said "Hypergraphia is abnormal, but it's not necessarily bad. For us it is mostly pleasurable. You only suffer when you think you're writing badly."

ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:25 am

Thank you, Mr. Rj for your reply

I agree with you with what you have said that
    "it is logical that we would experience these diseases time and time again."
    Undergoing into graduate school makes all of us, experience this psychological diseases when writing a thesis. It is just a normal process that we have to undergo. Experiencing these psychological disease, would somehow make us better for who we are right now.
    maricca_18

Post  maricca_18 on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 11:01 am

there are different factors that contribute in writing something. one factor is the emotion of the person, you write what and how you feel, another thing is if you need to write and submit to your professor, and also if you need to give knowledge to some people. But how the person writes, everybody is unique, so each and everyone of us has different styles, some are very talented and creative and writing and some are not, and some are still trying to study how to become a good writer.

everybody can be a good or better writer, when a person read the article of chris fleming, it depends upon the perception of the person and how it affects to him either to become a good or not.

aimee

Post  aimee on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 11:19 am

I positively agree that once your body enters a state of chronic stress, negative effects will be manifested such as delusional thinking and yes - fraud paranoia. Fraud paranoia can then lead to reading depression.
    Chris Fleming's work has served its purpose. It has brought enlightenment to all of us. It made me realize that such mental conditions do exist and if not properly managed will cause mental disorders. Yes, It has occurred to me not only during thesis writing, but all throughout my academic years. Self-questioning my competency, pressured by the high expectations , these and more are enough to make you go crazy. But once you overcome this dreadful experience, you will find yourself laughing in the face of danger.Experience, learn, and live.

therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 6:21 pm

many factors is into consideratin on how a person writes. mayn it be his passion, support or influence of others, inspiration, observation, etc. after reading chris fleming's article about these mental illnesses that writers/thesis writers will encounter and experience, it's good to know that we can now identify it as fraud paranoia and reading depression. additional clinical terms to be remembered. if we feel it again, we're avle to recognize it and by that, we perhaps can cope with it easily.
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 7:08 pm

ylaganroidah wrote:A Discussion Paper: Disease of the thesis By Chris Fleming
    by Roidah Ylagan

A hypegraphia for instance is a driving compulsion or an urge to write. According to Flaherty, Alice (2004), it is an incurable disease of writing. It is when a person begins to write that person can’t stop from writing. They write on anything they find possible to write on.

It is also associated with bipolar disorder. Manic and depressive episodes have been reported to intensify hypergraphia .

this scared me alot.... affraid Sad
    i have the tendency to be like this at times especially when i'm under time pressure....
    hu!!!!! albino

.... lol!

=== definitely there are a lot of factors to how a person writes... he maybe be influenced by either the extrinsic or intrinsic factors...what he is actually experiencing at the moment, is somthing which greatly impacts how and what he writes...

for sure, reading Chris fleming's article has an impact to the reader, but not conclusive to say that you'll be a better witer after you've read it...

impact will definitely varies among individuals, for some it may serve as an enlightenment, while for others, it may even contribute greatly to their worries...

i don't thinksolving a part of the diease accounts to becoming a better writer... understanding the "what, how, and why" of the occurrence of such illness is the most important aspect to consider and to start from..

mariekathleensantos

Post  mariekathleensantos on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:23 pm

definitely there are many factors that contribute to how a person writes. especially the life experience we go through. it greatly affects our mood that would then affect our way of thinking and our writing. we tend to write sad articles when we are depressed, joyous write ups when we are happy... it follows.

in regards with chris flemming's diseases of the thesis, after reading it i can proudly say that i am a better writer now. being aware of the negative aspect of writing enlightened me in my journey of becoming a scholar Cool
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:21 pm

Hypergraphia also stunned me. But I was more amazed I presume. The world is truly unpredictable, full of revelations but stunningly amazing.

Let us go back to business. You mentioned that most depressed people are likely to find their comfort zone in reading library of books. I believe that. I also consider that depression will somehow help somebody to be a good writer. When a person is upset, most of the time, he/she will opt to express his/her feelings through writing. The end result would be a very genuine and creative composition coming from the heart. Upon knowing the idea that depression helps, this question circulated thought out my mind. Do we need to be depressed to the point of madness to be a good writer? If you would ask my opinion, I would say it is "a bit yes". For me, to be a good writer, we need a little dose of depression, a pint of inspiration, a gallon of hard work and an ounce of prayers.

Have fun writing...

geek
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo on Thu 30 Sep 2010, 12:05 am

In some point of my life i also experienced reading depression specially when I'm looking for related literatures that will support my thesis. But because of this, I was able to read at the same time comprehend what i read. I think this illness help me to became a better researcher. These illnesses may have good or bad effect depending on the person who is handling the situation. I can consider experience as a contributing factor on how a person writes!. Razz They use so much of their emotions and creative thinking. I can say that reading Dr. Fleming's article help me became a better writer because i was enlightened and i was able to handle the feelings that will really affect my thesis. Razz Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 20 Sep 2018, 3:08 am