UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+5
ylaganroidah
AntonJayTan
chel_calvelo
PriNcE RJ
roseanne.catalan
9 posters

Rizal as Pilosopong Tasyo

roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Rizal as Pilosopong Tasyo Empty Rizal as Pilosopong Tasyo

Post  roseanne.catalan Tue 21 Sep 2010, 4:03 pm

Rizal as Pilosopong Tasyo: A Discussion to Dr. Fleming's Diseases of the Thesis

We, nurses and other science related professions, were first introduced to psychology sometime in our first to second year of under graduate study. But it never crossed in our mind that we had the first grasp of psychology long before we entered the world of complex science. I am talking about how Rizal initiated topics about psychology in his novel Noli Me Tangere and major essay, La Curación de los Hechizados (The Treatment of the Possessed) that reflect types of human behavior usually described in psychology textbooks. In the novel, he mentioned several lunatics like Pilosopo Tasyo, Sisa and Dona Victoria. But my discussion will only revolve around the character of Pilosopo Tasyo who exhibits classical psychological profile in reality.

Pilosopo Tasyo, an old man when we meet him in Noli, was a crazy lunatic. During his younger days, he studied philosophy. He was a bright student. Too bright that his mother feared that he might became too absorbed in his studies and forget about God. His mother told him to make a one choice. Leave school or be a priest. He chose the former because he was in love. He got married but widowed and orphaned in no less than a year. He became frustrated and lonely. It drove him to seek solace in book and in a life of sheer idleness. While the peope of San diego make fun of his odd ideas, there is method to his madness.

Way back in 19th century, rizal attempted to show us that resorting to other activities like reading to forget unpleasant experiences is the common refuge of intelligent people. Repressing his personal problems through reading was the only way Tasyo could preserve the appearance of sanity and blend in with the "normal" world. But the more learned he was, the farther he moved away from what is perceived to be sane. Too ironic.

Extreme frustration could drive a person to insanity, especially if the subject has low self-esteem or a low level of endurance. Feeling of not being so good, anxiety over a not so anxious event, being worried to something that is not worrisome etc for me are just mere beliefs that we experienced at some point in our life. That’s what we call fraud paranoia. But we know that depressing over it would just push us to insanity. So we tend to drive ourselves out of depression by suppression or repression so that we can leave a normal, stress-free life again. We tend to do something to forget the unnecessary anxiety. Sometimes we pretend consciously, sometimes we use our defense mechanisms. But we should not forget that physical or mental pretensions could persist if the behavioral idiosyncrasies of a subject are rewarded socially, verbally, or materially even if they are abnormal or maladaptive behavior.

In the case of the writers, many well-known artists, writers and musicians have had a history of mental illness. So, am I right to assume that there is direct correlation between brilliance, creativity and mental illness? Several studies have suggested that there is indeed a very strong link. According to (Granato 2006), most writers work alone, and when they get depressed, they don't have someone to ask for encouragement and support. They will have to rely with their own selves, adding more burden to their already disturbed mind.

In my own opinion, writing is one form where we can enjoy as well as improve our creativity. We should not torture ourselves by the belief that we can never produce a good output. If we think that way, we might stop writing. We should not be affected by other’s opinion. Those are mere criticisms. Criticism hurts for a while but it does help. When we feel hopeless about not producing a good write up, don’t just copy-paste from reviews. It can mask our hidden abilities. We are not writers then, we are pretenders.

In the case of hypochondriac person who interprets normal body function as serious medical disease, they have a hard time distinguishing their own perception from reality. They cannot use their defense mechanism effectively. And reassurance by physicians would just make them more anxious.

In the case of Pilosopong Tasyo his extreme retreat into books and new knowledge is his form of reciprocal inhibition that is, blocking negative behavior with positive behavior. Tasyo's sorrow over the death of his wife and mother could have destroyed him had he not found an alternate reality in books.

How could Rizal arrived to this topic. He was neither a psychologist nor psychiatrist. Rizal did not undergo professional training in psychology. Did he learned it from mere observations? OR he experienced it himself? As I was reading this article, my teacher’s assumption (way back in Noli days) about the real identity of Tasyo was running in my mind. She reiterated that the different characters in Noli are the different perspective of Rizal’s personality. Most of the characters there could be Rizal himself. But how could that be, Rizal is a known genius? He’s a world class writer. Before I end this, I can say that my teacher’s assumption was correct. We cannot deny the fact that Rizal also experienced frustrations and anxieties that almost make him insane. He did pretend, suppress and repress. After all he’s just human…

Granato, S. (2006). The common Link Between Writers and Mental Illness. Health and Wellness.
    Paular, R. (2007). Rizal and Psychology.
    Andreasen, N.C. (1987). Creativity and mental illness: prevalence rates in writers and their first-degree relatives. American Psychiatric Association, 144, 1288-1292.
    http://www.medterms.com/script/main/art.asp?articlekey=18717
    http://www.oflikeminds.com/GeniusMentalIllness.htm

Last edited by roseannecatalan on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 4:48 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PriNcE RJ
    PriNcE RJ

Rizal as Pilosopong Tasyo Empty Re: Rizal as Pilosopong Tasyo

Post  PriNcE RJ Wed 22 Sep 2010, 10:49 am

I am surprised that you've related Chris Fleming's Psychological disorders to local classic characters. I would like to know the direct relevance of this correlation.
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan Wed 22 Sep 2010, 12:22 pm

By the way I understand the article, Chris Fleming talks about mental illnesses experienced by writers like fraud paranoia and reading depression. Writers like Jose Rizal, our national hero. I can assume that Rizal himself experienced illnesses mentioned by Fleming by the way he portrayed the character of Pilosopong Tasyo. I just want to emphasize that though mental illnesses in general are obviously far from normal, fraud paranoia and reading depression are, I guess, normal to writers. These illnesses did not create negative effects to Rizal, it just made him a world-class and timeless writer. Sometimes, it's reasonable to be too self-conscious so that we can improve our work by reading for example. In that way, we can aim not only for the best but a work close to perfection. I included a character in Noli to give an example that we know in our hearts and we have known for a long time.
    PriNcE RJ
    PriNcE RJ

Post  PriNcE RJ Wed 22 Sep 2010, 12:28 pm

The use of Rizal and Pilosopong Tasyo, for me, is deviant and extraordinaire. Wink
    It's good if you have concluded your paper the way you rationalized your comment. Now, I'm enlightened. Very Happy
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan Wed 22 Sep 2010, 12:33 pm

I want to add questions to my topic:

1. Do you believe that Rizal also experienced fraud paranoia and reading depression given the detail by how he portrayed the role of Pilosopong Tasyo? Defend your answer.
    2. Make your stand. Is fraud paranoia and reading depression normal to writers or not?
    3. Can you honestly say that you experienced these illnesses at some point in your life?
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo Wed 22 Sep 2010, 4:15 pm

Your discussion paper is quite interesting because you even use Rizal as Pilosopong Tasyo. I think fraud paranoia and reading depression are normal to writers. Even us can experience this illnesses because we are seeking for more knowledge,a thing we can be proud of. But even though these things are normal, we should know how to manage it. I just want to comment on this statement: "Criticism hurts for a while but it does help. When we feel hopeless about not producing a good write up, don’t just copy-paste from reviews. It can mask our hidden abilities. We are not writers then, we are pretenders". We should not be affected about the criticism of others instead we should use it as a foundation in order to strive hard and be successful in our own craft. It might hurt a bit but believe me you will learn from it. we should not do the copy-paste thing instead we should be free to write our own ideas in this case we can learn to use our abilities. Laughing Razz
    AntonJayTan
    AntonJayTan

Post  AntonJayTan Wed 22 Sep 2010, 10:30 pm

Interesting article, it really fits the article of Mr.Fleming.Rizal can be the best example of a genius Filipino writer. It is evident from his works.(Noli and El Fili).His works are based from his experience during the Spanish era, and yes he too might have experienced fraud paranoia and depression. Very Happy
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan Wed 22 Sep 2010, 11:08 pm

Thank you for the comment Mr. Anton Jay Tan

You did have a point. I am now encouraging you to make your stand. Is fraud paranoia and reading depression normal to writers or not? If not, state examples on how it can be a hindrance to them. If yes, give examples on how it can help them? afro
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 23 Sep 2010, 11:36 pm

From what I have read on your article, it may seem that Rizal may have experienced fraud paranoia and reading depression. For I may quote
    “that the different characters in Noli are the different perspective of Rizal’s personality. We cannot deny the fact that Rizal also experienced frustrations and anxieties that almost make him insane. He did pretend, suppress and repress. After all he’s just human…”
    I think both fraud paranoia and reading depression are normal for writers because they devote their selves in writing. They put too much time and attention to come up with a good write-up. But the difference between a writer and from us is that
    “most writers work alone, and when they get depressed, they don't have someone to ask for encouragement and support. They will have to rely with their own selves, adding more burden to their already disturbed mind (Granato 2006).”
    But for us when we go thru this, we have support system that we can rely on that’s way we can cope with this kind of situations. I say that I may have experienced this mental illness, during our thesis writing. It was really hard for me to do write-ups because I’m not good at it. But because it is part of the process, I have to do my best. And doing my best meant that I have to search all the data that are pertinent for my topic. To read and read to get all the information needed to complete my work.
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan Fri 24 Sep 2010, 3:06 pm

Thank for spending time to read my paper. You have discussed the very essence of my argument. Unlike writers, we are good at throwing out depression and frustrations (of course with the help of our friends and mentors) that's why we are far from being suicidal. Right?
    AC Ver
    AC Ver

Post  AC Ver Mon 27 Sep 2010, 2:12 am

I think it is possible that Jose Rizal could have experienced depression too, especially if you’ll be basing it on the situation the Philippines was encountering during his time. And yes, he was able to express it (if depression was really the case) in his creation of diversified characters, just like whom you’ve specifically pointed out, Pilosopong Tasyo. With all the studies pointed out by our colleagues on the prevalence of depression to writers, I may now say that yes, it is somewhat inevitable. With all the demands of thesis writing, I can honestly say that I have experienced gloominess at some point. It may be not that kind of “major depression” but sometimes it is really inexorable to feel down, most especially when in doubt. But it’s good to know that we have people to back us up. We shouldn’t let depression get us. Simple encouragement of others could take us a long way. For me, thesis writing is not just a journey of our intellect but of our emotions as well.
    Wink
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan Tue 28 Sep 2010, 6:57 pm

Just a thought...

Have you ever written an essay or poem? When did you write it during your happy days or at the verge of depression? We cannot deny the fact that we are at our most creative when we are at our loneliest.

If my experiences will be evaluated, I am sure of one thing. Pain and depression will let you convey what you really feel, in action yes, but more in words...in writing specifically. It needs pain to be creative. I think that could be one of the reasons why writers tend to fall into depression easily. Pain helps them.

I need a I-second-the-motion response here. scratch
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Tue 28 Sep 2010, 8:27 pm

as i have read the thread of your article, i was quite confused with the way you conveyed and raised your question.... Smile

anyhow, i think i understood what you were trying to say...

first, i must give credit with the way you relate the issues raised in Fleming's article to the works of Rizal, ; particularly with the characters you have mentioned earlier. cheers

re the concerns you raised earlier,
    i think everyone of us experienced fraud paranoia and reading depression in some ways of our lives...., which i think is normal...

say for example, our lives as nurses; we usually engage in stressful conditions even when we were still in college..., we read several books to know the latest updates in nursing, we sometimes forced ourselves to come up with a good NCP, we analyze too often just to know how such condition resulted to the other, like in the case of pathophysiology...
    .... these conditions bring us into negative feelings which we express in different ways...likewise, we tend to have negative perception about ourselves; become depressed and worst become sick literally... but like what i've said, these acts are normal and varies to individuals.

each of us has our own way of expressing our feelings in the easiest way that suits us..., we have our own means of coping and adjusting..., our unique ways of dealing with certain situations that demand our great attentions...

so, its fine to conclude that, these feelings exhibited by writers are acceptable; but ofcourse it still depends on the severity of the condition; considerations on whether these psycholigical conditions bring destruction to self and others must be made....

a normal person engaged with such psychological disturbance shall be able to cope up and balance the situation..., meaning- inability to adjust and maintain balance, as displayed by his/her destructive actions would mean that something isn't right...

with regards to the latest post you maid re PAIN-- its unclear what you're trying to deliver...

anyway,based from what i understood in your last post, i must say that i have to oppose you on that.

pain is definitely a factor that affects writers, but not enough to conclude that it help them...
    it could either be benefial or harmful depending on the individual. like what i have said, we are all different from each other; we have our own ways of responsing, acting upon a situation,and dissimilarities in converting such happenng or feeling into either a positive or negative doings....

BALANCE is IMPORTANT.....

roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan Tue 28 Sep 2010, 11:43 pm

Yes, I understand your concern. I too was a bit confused. What I am trying to point out is that when you became emotionally depressed, for example when you fall in love and get rejected, you tend to be too poetic, too emotional. Instead of voicing out your pain, you would opt to just write it down wherever you want to (in your notebook for example). The end product of that could be your own masterpiece (a poem, or essay). But, like what I said, it is "JUST A THOUGHT". I have to apologize for being too excited with regards to posting my ideas. Forgive me but I stand with the idea that pain somehow can help you to be creative. bom
    aimee
    aimee

Post  aimee Wed 29 Sep 2010, 2:33 am

There is indeed a big chance that Rizal might had experienced such mental conditions described by Fleming. The pressures and struggles he had were no joke. His literary was purposively made to lighten the burden of the oppressed Filipinos. Filipinos condition at that time was depressing and agonizing. Depression makes you crave for expressive outlet. Therefore, depression might have an added impact on how Rizal expressed himself through writing.

I don't know if normal is the right word but Fraud paranoia has occurred to me several times not only during thesis writing but all throughout my school life.Have you ever had this feeling that even if you did everything in your power to study or review, you still feel unready? so what do you do? - If I panic I go into reading depression. I would have this uncontrollable urge in buying or at least acquiring a copy of references. Funny thing is , I haven't really started on reading those books. It just gives me this unexplainable feeling of security and comfort.I owe it all to my mother's love and support which aided me in coping up. Had I not have her in my life I would have gone mad a long time ago. tongue
    therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 4:34 pm

your discussion paper is interesting and a good topic to recall our past studies about jose rizal as a genius writer. it's not undeniable that no one, not a single human haven't experienced depression,frustration, or any mental disturbances chris fleming had discussed. if every or some of the characters Rizal has created in Noli and El Fili is a representation somehow of himself, then pilosopo tasyo is just one proof that JOse Rizal experienced fraud paranoia and reading depression at some point of his life.i think we should look for pilosopo tasyo as an epitome in conquering life's trial, negative impact to us, by expressing into writing of what we really feel. by that, we could be an effective and recognized writer because readers could relate on what you have written. for the writers in general, i think these two mental illnesses are normal.
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:35 pm

Like a Star @ heaven Before this virtual forum closes, I would like to thank you for patiently taking the time to read every post on the thread.

This activity will be a reminder that we are not alone in this journey. I love you

jocolor Just have fun! lol!

What else can I say? scratch

ahhhmmm...

Von voyage! pirat

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 11:39 am