UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+2
roseanne.catalan
khayee_07
6 posters

Mental Illness, an Acceptable Preset consequence?

khayee_07
    khayee_07

Mental Illness, an  Acceptable Preset consequence? Empty Mental Illness, an Acceptable Preset consequence?

Post  khayee_07 Wed 22 Sep 2010, 8:54 am

Mental illness, an Acceptable Preset Consequence of writing or just an Excuse?

How does it feel to have another world far from what you have right now? Does having a mental disturbance conclusive for someone’s incompetency? Does the type of social life you engage-in affects your vulnerability to a certain mental illness?

…..these are the questions that immediately passed in my mind right after I’ve read the article of Dr. Fleming. Certainly, mental illnesses is a significant matter that should be discussed; for beside the fact that a wide range of people are being affected by different kind of these illnesses, there is also an increasing awareness among us about the nature and occurrence of such condition.

In Dr. Fleming’s article, he focused on most of the writer’s frequently encountered mental illnesses.

In a statistics gathered in a recent article in Scientific American- indicate that the incidence of clinical depression among writers and artists may be as much as ten times greater than that among the general population.
    All the same, recent studies indicate that a high number of established artists—far more than could be expected by chance— meet the diagnostic criteria for manic depression or major depression given in the fourth edition of the Diagnostic and Statistical Manual of Mental Disorders (DSM-IV). It appears that these diseases may contribute in the development and creativity of some people. Although, by virtue of their prevalence alone, it is clear that mood disorders do not necessarily breed genius.

Based from the related literatures I have read and mentioned, questioning one’s self is a normal life occurrence. But of course, frequency and severity of the ailment must still be considered. This is a condition wherein we have doubtful and unreasonable beliefs about ourselves. Pressures brought about by both internal and external factors, bring us into a situation where we tend to have lack of confidence, thereby questioning our achievements and capabilities.
    There are appropriate time and place for a person to accomplish something; hence if a person is not in the drive or mood to do such act, even how much effort is put into it, the pressure she /he feels makes her/ him come up with unreasonable thought, even more in the part of the thesis writers.

As a whole, what were exposed in Fleming’s article were the typical mental illnesses or disturbances among thesis writer or writers in general, which alone, can be considered as normal; for frequency and severity of such mental condition should be well-thought-out in determining degree of illness.
    Anyhow, this article and even the previous ones could be a great help on how to treat and analyze mental ailments in a new and appropriate perspective. Since writers have always been a great impact and influence among their readers or followers, they are a significant group to study, and interrelate with the aforementioned mental conditions. So as to point out that, writers are normal people that can be affected by some ailments, and in certain situations, may be at greater risk for acquiring psychological problems. From this concept, we may say that, writing a thesis or even other articles is a demanding work; which, in effect, can convey mental disturbances with them (writers). But given this fact, it is not a basis to make assumptions and judgment about what and how much they can do as an expert. Just like William Styron, his literacy achievements was questioned due to his depressive experiences, but since he was undeniably a brilliant and adventurous novelist, his article Darkness Visible, a summary of 84-page memoir of his own emotional descent, transformed him into a contemporary translator of the illness and, subsequently, an ardent mental-health advocate.

In the face of all these facts…,
    Is it right to say that none of us, even YOU, is not exempted to this mental disturbances?
    Have you ever experience being disturbed anyway? What were you doing during this time?
    Does having to do something MORE depressing than doing nothing at all?

Now then,
    Is it justifiable for writers to be in such mental condition?
    Would you bother evaluating whether the article you are reading is made by a depressed or insane person?
    As a reader; what would catch your attention to read, the author or the content?

References:

1. Frederick K. Goodwin and Kay R. Jamison (1990), Manic Depressive Illness. Oxford University Press
    http://www2.sunysuffolk.edu/hanauej/Abnormal/Web%20pages/manic-depression%20and%20creativity.pdf
    2. Nancy Etchemendy (1995), Writers and Depression
    http://www.horror.org/writetips-etchemendy.htm
    3. Nell Casey Unlikely (2006), William Styron-Bard of Depression Copyright 2010 Washington Post News week Interactive Co. LLC
    http://www.slate.com/id/2153024/
    4. A. Alvarez (1990), The Savage God: A Study of Suicide W.W. Norton & Company
    http://www.goodtherapy.org/books/the-savage-god-a-alvarez.html
    5. Christina Sponias (2007), Positive Meaning of Depression, Ezine article
    http://ezinearticles.com/?The-Positive-Meaning-of-Depression&id=733002

roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Mental Illness, an  Acceptable Preset consequence? Empty Re: Mental Illness, an Acceptable Preset consequence?

Post  roseanne.catalan Wed 22 Sep 2010, 2:10 pm

I also agree with the fact that questioning one's self is nothing but normal to writers. What makes it abnormal is if it is too much. That would just push them to insanity. Frequency and severity must still be considered. Too much is unnecessary. I can say that the problem with writers is the fact that they are afraid to share their feelings. Most of them work alone, and when they begin to fall into depression, no one can support or give them encouragement. According to Sheri Granato, writers have a hard time admitting and recognizing that they themselves have symptoms of mental illness. They would rather keep quiet and make it personal rather than seek treatment. If they seek treatment or share their feelings, the public might look upon them as a nut case focusing on their faults and weaknesses rather than their strength and achievement. That would make them more obsessed in thinking about unnecessary and unreasonable beliefs they only assume they have. I can say that no one is exempted. We do not know, we might be possessing the symptoms, we are not just strong enough to admit it.
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Mental Illness, an  Acceptable Preset consequence? Empty Re: Mental Illness, an Acceptable Preset consequence?

Post  chel_calvelo Thu 23 Sep 2010, 7:40 pm

I think these illnesses are normal to writers due to they seek for more knowledge. Even i, myself experienced reading depression specially when looking for some related literatures about my research problem. For me, you can be able to handle and adapt to these illnesses when there are significant others who can help you. I can't blame those writers if they go nuts just to have the knowledge because for them that is their purpose in life. Laughing cheers
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 23 Sep 2010, 10:17 pm

True enough that no one may be exempted to these mental disturbances, but anyone can surpass it if appropriate coping mechanisms are done. Even I, I have experienced one of the mental disturbance. It was when I have to gather all of the pertinent literature that is relevant to my study. I have to search and read articles that may seem connected to my topic. But because of the way I handle stress, I was able to surpass that trail in me. I would say that doing nothing would make a person more depress. It would make him think even more about things that would affect him. Not unlike with people who are doing something, they may overcome it because they have still something to work or improve on and their minds are pre-occupied.

I may have to agree to that, that writers may be in such mental conditions. Most writers put much effort and time on what they write. If I were to read a book, I wouldn’t critic the author if he is a depressed or insane person thru his writing alone. It’s like you have already judge the person you haven’t meant yet. When reading a book or articles, it catches my attention of what the content is. When I find it interesting to read, I read it regardless of who is the author.
    therese

Post  therese Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:05 pm

i think, when you strive to do something and yet you didn't come up with the conclusion or outcome you wanted even before you start is even more depressing because it's like you have done all you can and seems that it's not at all. unlike, when you have done nothing at all because you didn't even show or exert effort. i think chris fleming came up with an article like that maybe because he experienced those or just observed it from others or heard from the people he talked to. also, i think no one is exempted in developing these mental disturbances, it depends on the way one is handling or coping with it. a person might verbally express what he or she went underwent mentally or just keep it. as a reader, the content catches my attention rather than the author but unlike the published books of paolo coelho, both the author and the content catches my attention to read.
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:13 am

roseanne.catalan wrote:I also agree with the fact that questioning one's self is nothing but normal to writers. What makes it abnormal is if it is too much. That would just push them to insanity. Frequency and severity must still be considered. Too much is unnecessary. I can say that the problem with writers is the fact that they are afraid to share their feelings. Most of them work alone, and when they begin to fall into depression, no one can support or give them encouragement. According to Sheri Granato, writers have a hard time admitting and recognizing that they themselves have symptoms of mental illness. They would rather keep quiet and make it personal rather than seek treatment. If they seek treatment or share their feelings, the public might look upon them as a nut case focusing on their faults and weaknesses rather than their strength and achievement. That would make them more obsessed in thinking about unnecessary and unreasonable beliefs they only assume they have. I can say that no one is exempted. We do not know, we might be possessing the symptoms, we are not just strong enough to admit it.

===thank you for replying with this post
    re your post, it seems that you understood what I was trying to assert. but with regards to your claim that it is a fact that WRITERS ARE AFRAID TO SHARE THEIR FEELINGS, i don't think it is true in all case.
    i think, writers in general, express their feelings in writing... their article may or may not reflect what they convey; but somehow, a part of it communicate a portion of what they feel, a piece of what they believe in, a little of what they know, and a bit of what they want to deliver... their writings are their thoughts; and what you think relates with what you feel...

on the other hand, i must agree with your statement that, what they're afraid of, is admitting that something is wrong with them, which is normal i guess... it's not like you have to be proud of with something that is negative right..?
    writers are dealing with a great demand from their work; something between rejection and acceptance;& criticism or admiration... just like that, hence, they opt not to expose the psychological disturbances they experience, so as to keep the credibility and respect they've worked for....

thank you for replying, feel free to add more and answer the rest of my questions... Smile Smile Smile
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:21 am

chel_calvelo wrote:I think these illnesses are normal to writers due to they seek for more knowledge. Even i, myself experienced reading depression specially when looking for some related literatures about my research problem. For me, you can be able to handle and adapt to these illnesses when there are significant others who can help you. I can't blame those writers if they go nuts just to have the knowledge because for them that is their purpose in life. Laughing cheers

===significant others can be of great help, but i think in some cases, you can't rely on those people whom you thought could be of great help; sometimes they give unnecessary advice, worst if they're the one causing troubles in you life...

if you can, kindly answer the rest of the questions i raised earlier...and feel free to share your experiences Smile Smile Smile
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:33 am

ylaganroidah wrote:True enough that no one may be exempted to these mental disturbances, but anyone can surpass it if appropriate coping mechanisms are done. Even I, I have experienced one of the mental disturbance. It was when I have to gather all of the pertinent literature that is relevant to my study. I have to search and read articles that may seem connected to my topic. But because of the way I handle stress, I was able to surpass that trail in me. I would say that doing nothing would make a person more depress. It would make him think even more about things that would affect him. Not unlike with people who are doing something, they may overcome it because they have still something to work or improve on and their minds are pre-occupied.

I may have to agree to that, that writers may be in such mental conditions. Most writers put much effort and time on what they write. If I were to read a book, I wouldn’t critic the author if he is a depressed or insane person thru his writing alone. It’s like you have already judge the person you haven’t meant yet. When reading a book or articles, it catches my attention of what the content is. When I find it interesting to read, I read it regardless of who is the author.

thanks for the post,
    i just want to know in particular, considering your own experience; do you feel more depressed when your doing nothing, or when you are loaded with much of what to accomplish?
    say for example, when you are alone in your house and there's nothing to do but to just stare or sleep for 2 days, would it depress you? or having to accomplish 2 chapters of a research paper in 5 hours is more depressing?

feel free to share.... Smile
    thank you Smile
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:42 am

therese wrote:i think, when you strive to do something and yet you didn't come up with the conclusion or outcome you wanted even before you start is even more depressing because it's like you have done all you can and seems that it's not at all. unlike, when you have done nothing at all because you didn't even show or exert effort. i think chris fleming came up with an article like that maybe because he experienced those or just observed it from others or heard from the people he talked to. also, i think no one is exempted in developing these mental disturbances, it depends on the way one is handling or coping with it. a person might verbally express what he or she went underwent mentally or just keep it. as a reader, the content catches my attention rather than the author but unlike the published books of paolo coelho, both the author and the content catches my attention to read.

===just want to clarify, having to do something is depressing? or the thought that much have to accomplish makes it depressing? or failure to achieve the goal at the end of doing something makes it more depressing?
    or is it the totality of having to do so much under time pressure makes it depressing?

confusing?

Laughing
    hope not..... Smile
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:52 am

may i just accentuate the concern of my article, feel free to answer, share, suggest, and oppose.... thank you..

Is it right to say that none of us, even YOU, is not exempted to this mental disturbances?
    Have you ever experience being disturbed anyway? What were you doing during this time?

Now then,
    Would you bother evaluating whether the article you are reading is made by a depressed or insane person?
    As a reader; what would catch your attention to read, the author or the content?

for the sake of making this article more logical:

in your own experience, identify factors that caused or contributed to your depression and paranoia...

what situations or things worsen these psychological disturbances?

what do you think could be of great help to avoid these conditions?

Does being too bright/intelligent/clever/wise has something to do with insanity?

Smile Smile Smile thanks...

Last edited by khayee_07 on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 1:07 am; edited 1 time in total
    aimee
    aimee

Post  aimee Wed 29 Sep 2010, 1:06 am

I tend to agree that support groups may be of help in coping up when struggling with stressors such as thesis writing. Mental Conditions mentioned by Chris Fleming are the most common ones in the learning institution. It is but subjective to the one afflicted on how he would be able to handle it by means of developing different coping mechanisms. The result, may it be aggravated or otherwise, will rely on the success of the developed coping mechanisms.
    As for me, my support group has done wonders in my life. My mothers undying love and support never fail me and have constantly made me in touch with my sanity. Laughing Laughing

Last edited by aimee on Wed 06 Oct 2010, 4:08 am; edited 1 time in total
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 1:23 am

aimee wrote:
    I tend to agree that support groups may be of help in coping up when struggling through stressors such as thesis writing. Mental Conditions mentioned by Chris Fleming are the most common ones in the learning institution. It is but subjective to the one afflicted on how he would be able to handle it by means of developing different coping mechanisms. The result, may it be aggravated or otherwise, will rely on the success of the developed coping mechanisms.
    As for me, my support group has done wonders in my life. My mothers undying love and support never fail me and constantly made me in touch with my sanity. Laughing Laughing

===you mentioned two notions, coping mechanism and significant others as having a contributory impact on the level of either the infliction or solution of such mental illness... Smile
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 1:24 am

khayee_07 wrote:may i just accentuate the concern of my article, feel free to answer, share, suggest, and oppose.... thank you..

Now then,

for the sake of making this article more logical:

in your own experience, identify factors that caused or contributed to your depression and paranoia...

what situations or things worsen these psychological disturbances?

what do you think could be of great help to avoid these conditions?

Does being too bright/intelligent/clever/wise has something to do with insanity?

Smile Smile Smile thanks...
    mariekathleensantos

Post  mariekathleensantos Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:14 pm

for me none of us is exempted to this phenomena.. however it is our mind and we control it.as for reading such articles or books, i don't mind if the writer has a mental illness or depressed at least as long as it makes sense and showcases brilliant ideas that i could add up to my chest of knowledge study
    AntonJay

Post  AntonJay Tue 05 Oct 2010, 3:37 pm

As I read your questions, it seems that I had notice in the discussion thread that we our really prone of having this diseases. Well, I hope that we all overcome this,especially at this point when we are starting to do our own research paper. Very Happy

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 3:29 am