UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+4
cezzy
mariekathleensantos
chel_calvelo
therese_132409
8 posters

Diseases of the Thesis

therese_132409

Diseases of the Thesis Empty Diseases of the Thesis

Post  therese_132409 Wed 22 Sep 2010, 9:19 pm

Discussion: Diseases of the Thesis

Every thesis writer or researcher in any particular field encounters health dilemma- may it be mental, physical, emotional, etc. And these may affect the systematic and delicate process of conducting a good research paper.

It is agreeable that a researcher indeed, will go through a rocky road in order to come up with a research worthy to be recognized. They will be facing hindrances along the way which lead them to be anxious and pressured at a particular day and time.

Mental illnesses, termed by Fleming, could be felt and experienced by writers along the process. It is not apparent or applicable only to one, as what an individual could think of but without knowing, is a symptomatology common to them, all believing, it’s without a cure.

A fraud paranoia, resulted from the feeling that your acquired academia is just a mask which mislead others from what you truly are.

As what Fleming tries to depict, endless reading can be a seeming solution for fraud paranoia. Critical reading actually starts with critical thinking. Critical reading tips such as; read the text several times, highlight key phrases, sentences, or words but don’t highlight too much; mark unfamiliar terms and difficult sections to reread, look up or discuss with your professor; annotate and comment, or respond to the text in writing (writing allows you to think deeply about the content and make connections with the ideas in the text); are consideration for a work to be done. Allowing plenty of time to read is the best method for reading critically.(http://writingcenter.tamu.edu/how-to/research-documentation/research-papers/)

It is not about how many books you have literally taken out of the library, but, what matters a lot is that you have analyzed and incorporated the contents one by one. Therefore, you might conclude that you already know something.

In relation to what is being emphasized in the article, several studies have suggested that there is indeed a very strong link between writers and mental illness, and that writers or people with strong creative capabilities are more likely than others to suffer from a class of mental illnesses that fall under various categories from mood disorders to major depression, and manic-depressive illness.

1. Do you think fraud paranoia is always present in a person in their postgraduates?
    2. Does endless reading would actually help a person to overcome fraud paranoia?
    3. Do you agree that creative writers are more likely to develop mental illness, such as major depression? Isn’t it related to other contributing factors such as emotional stability and social pressure?

References:

1. Young, B. (2010). Writing a master’s dissertation: Psychology. September 21, 2010. http://www.suite101.com/content/writing-a-masters-dissertation-psychology-a269955
    2. http://writingcenter.tamu.edu/how-to/research-documentation/research-papers/
    3. William Styron (1990), Darkness Visible http://www.amazon.com/Darkness-Visible-Madness-William-Styron/dp/0679736395
    4. Sherri Granato(200 6), The Common Link Between Writers & Mental Illness.
    http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/93764/the_common_link_between_writers_mental.html?cat=5
    5. Anne Beggs (2007), Fiction Writers and Mental Illnesses
    http://annebeggs.blogspot.com/2007/05/fiction-writers-and-mental-illness.html
    6. NC Andreasen (1987), Creativity and mental illness: prevalence rates in writers and their first-degree relatives
    http://ajp.psychiatryonline.org/cgi/content/abstract/144/10/1288
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Diseases of the Thesis Empty Re: Diseases of the Thesis

Post  chel_calvelo Fri 24 Sep 2010, 12:18 am

i think reading depression is common to writers due to they want to seek for more knowledge. They tend to read and read until they reach a point where they became depress due to dismay that they wasn't able to find what are they looking for. For me fraud paranoia is not always present to postgraduate students.I agree that writers are prone to this illnesses specially major depression because they tend to use so much of their emotions when writing. What a Face
    mariekathleensantos

Post  mariekathleensantos Mon 27 Sep 2010, 8:11 pm

For me reading should not be associated with depreession for this matter (dissertation writing). furthermore we are learning new things, exploring beyond our limits thus we should be enjoying it.

The man who does not read good books has no advantage over the man who cannot read them.
    -- Mark Twain
    [b][i] study
    cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Mon 27 Sep 2010, 10:08 pm

I think fraud paranoia is normal to each of us. Whether we are on our postgraduate studies or during our undergrad years. Thesis writing is not just any writing. We can't just include in our study our opinions without any basis. So that alone leads us to paranoia that maybe the whole thing that we've just read, when included and mentioned in our own study may look like copied form from other's researches. That's when creative writing should follow.

Endless reading is not actually a way of overcoming fraud paranoia. It's a way of learning and exploring other's studies so that you can create your own arguments, find gaps and give justifications as to why a new study should be done. We just have to be creative, think critical and practice our writing skills so that in the end we'll be proud of the study that we've created.

I'll post here a quote that I've seen while browsing the web. It struck me and I just want it to share to everyone. Smile We just have to enjoy learning and have fun writing. Smile

Your manuscript is both good and original; but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.

-Samuel Johnson
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan Tue 28 Sep 2010, 7:23 pm

bounce Somehow, fraud paranoia might be present to everyone in postgraduate. Remember, post graduate requires writing a thesis or any form of complex writing. What makes us different from writers who fell into depression is that, when we get disheartened we know how to pull ourselves back into reality and start writing again. Of course that can only be possible with the help of support people around us.

Oftentimes, we mistakenly consider as endless reading to be the solution. For me, it would just give us a gulp to relieve our thirst for knowledge for a while but it will not make us satisfied in the end. Just like what you mentioned, “it doesn’t matter how many books you have taken out of the library, what important is you have analyzed the contents.” Just like in our ROL, what significant is not the quantity of reviews we have included but its quality, importance and connection to our study.
    flower
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Tue 28 Sep 2010, 9:38 pm

i don't think fraud paranoia is always present among post grauduates; it may or may not affect everyone... post graduates students are definitely experiencing great stress, but not enough to say that it's greater or even more difficult to handle compared to undergraduates. our capacity to handle such situation differs from each other, a big problem for me may have a lesser impact to others, or may not have impact at all.

reading can be a solution, but still depends on how you read, what you're reading, and how much you have understood. As we read, we get more information regardless of much help can it bring us. deciding whether to read or not, is the same as deciding whether it can help you or not.

if you have the perception that reading can be of no help at all, then do not opt onto reading.
    aimee
    aimee

Post  aimee Wed 29 Sep 2010, 2:05 am

I believe that such conditions,described by Fleming, have occurred to all of us in one way or another. Some may have experienced it too often but in a mild state that It has become a way of life thus considering it to be normal. Others may have reached to a point of no return, so to speak.
    Let me just make it clear, by the way I have understood the article. Fraud paranoia and reading depression are two most common mental conditions in the academia especially to post graduates.
    Fraud paranoia is the delusional thinking of incompetency despite of achievements and excellent status, identifying that ones knowledge is not enough thus leading to Reading depression. Reading Depression , literally speaking, is a desperate act of collecting books and references instead of collecting informations which supposedly should give halt to Fraud Paranoia. If these are not controlled , according to Fleming, then these may lead to madness. Solution : take things light.
    Stress is inevitable in this world we are in. May it be in thesis writing or in general, It is therefore important to develop survival skills. Very Happy
    therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 7:00 pm

cezzy wrote:I think fraud paranoia is normal to each of us. Whether we are on our postgraduate studies or during our undergrad years. Thesis writing is not just any writing. We can't just include in our study our opinions without any basis. So that alone leads us to paranoia that maybe the whole thing that we've just read, when included and mentioned in our own study may look like copied form from other's researches. That's when creative writing should follow.

Endless reading is not actually a way of overcoming fraud paranoia. It's a way of learning and exploring other's studies so that you can create your own arguments, find gaps and give justifications as to why a new study should be done. We just have to be creative, think critical and practice our writing skills so that in the end we'll be proud of the study that we've created.

I'll post here a quote that I've seen while browsing the web. It struck me and I just want it to share to everyone. Smile We just have to enjoy learning and have fun writing. Smile

Your manuscript is both good and original; but the part that is good is not original, and the part that is original is not good.

-Samuel Johnson

thanks for sharing this quote. it blew my mind. cheers it is very applicable to us.
    AntonJayTan
    AntonJayTan

Post  AntonJayTan Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:38 pm

Frequent reading could help a person overcome fraud paranoia. Reading a lot of books can help us gain enough knowledge and will improve our self esteem.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 5:21 pm