UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+9
therese_132409
edliwag
Charis Juan
cezzy
AC Ver
chel_calvelo
khayee_07
cpenuliar
ylaganroidah
13 posters

Authentic leadership for a healthy work environment

Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Authentic leadership for a healthy work environment Empty Re

Post  Tet Soriano Fri 22 Oct 2010, 6:05 pm

Great insights!

ylaganroidah wrote:
    Therefore to have a healthy environment there must be authentic leaders that conform to fact or speak the truth and therefore are worthy of trust, reliance, or belief. They develop heart and compassion by getting to know the life stories of those with whom they work and by engaging coworkers in shared meaning.

Becoming one an authentic leader requires a personal journey of self-discovery, self improvement, reflection, and renewal.

I agree with this. Before you can lead others, lead yourself first. It takes time to become an authentic leader. After knowing yourself well, you develop your skills and become compassionate to your people. The attributes of an authentic leader can be developed. Some people have inborn leadership traits but I believe it can be developed. A healthy environment for me has a group of people with harmonious relationships, a conducive place for learning and growth, and a place led by great authentic leaders.

ylaganroidah

Authentic leadership for a healthy work environment Empty Re: Authentic leadership for a healthy work environment

Post  ylaganroidah Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:29 pm

aimee wrote:
    I can safely say that I may have some of the qualities of an authentic leader, but if I don not possess all the attributes of what an authentic leader should be , then I cannot call myself an authentic leader as for now, but of course I see myself in the future to develop the skills and through time and experience I can be molded to become one.

It is really hard to claim that one is a full-pledged authentic leader, but it is never too late. We can all hope and aim to become one and be the best of what we can be. Becoming an authentic leader can not be done overnight. It will take some time and experience to be able to learn and evolve. But as nurses that we are, I believe that deep inside, within ourselves, authenticity exist just waiting for the right time to ripe and be awakened.

I agree with the statements you have mentioned, to be aunthentic leader we have to be able to develop this characteristics in a gradual manner. That it has the right time and right situation that authenticity can be developed fully. It's just a matter of how experiences mold us to become an authentic leader.

Thank you for your reply
    aimee
    aimee

Authentic leadership for a healthy work environment Empty Re: Authentic leadership for a healthy work environment

Post  aimee Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:10 pm

I can safely say that I may have some of the qualities of an authentic leader, but if I don not possess all the attributes of what an authentic leader should be , then I cannot call myself an authentic leader as for now, but of course I see myself in the future to develop the skills and through time and experience I can be molded to become one.

It is really hard to claim that one is a full-pledged authentic leader, but it is never too late. We can all hope and aim to become one and be the best of what we can be. Becoming an authentic leader can not be done overnight. It will take some time and experience to be able to learn and evolve. But as nurses that we are, I believe that deep inside, within ourselves, authenticity exist just waiting for the right time to ripen and be awakened.

Last edited by aimee on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:54 pm; edited 2 times in total
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:56 pm

mariekathleensantos wrote:
    manifestations of a healthy work environment:
    Regardless of whether an organizational classifier or a philosophical approach is used to describe the work environment, common characteristics of healthy work environments include 4 elements.
    1. healthy and effective work environments, employees are treated in a respectful and fair manner. Similarly, concern and value for each person as an individual are apparent.
    2. healthy and effective work environments exhibit a strong sense of trust between management and employees. These organizations engage and empower employees in decision making, risk taking, and personal and professional growth.
    3. healthy and effective work environments have an organizational culture that supports communication and collaboration, views individuals as assets, and reduces decision making not solely to considerations of money, but also to consideration for the impact of decisions on the organization’s mission and its members.
    4. healthy and effective work environments have a “feeling tone” in which individuals are encouraged to feel physically and emotionally safe. A sense of family is commonly reported in healthy work environments, and cheer is evident within work teams and the organization as a whole. pirat

The manifestation of a healthy environment is not only apllied in the nursing profession itself but can also be applied to other fields as well. For as long as there are two individuals who are connected thru an interpersonal relationship.

Thank you for your response
    mariekathleensantos

Post  mariekathleensantos Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:34 pm

AUTHENTIC LEADER: is a person who is deeply aware of how he thinks and behave and is perceived by others as being aware of his own and others’ values/ moral perspective, knowledge, and strengths, aware of the context in which he operates, and who is confident, hopeful, optimistic, resilient, and high on moral character.
    manifestations of a healthy work environment:
    Regardless of whether an organizational classifier or a philosophical approach is used to describe the work environment, common characteristics of healthy work environments include 4 elements.
    1. healthy and effective work environments, employees are treated in a respectful and fair manner. Similarly, concern and value for each person as an individual are apparent.
    2. healthy and effective work environments exhibit a strong sense of trust between management and employees. These organizations engage and empower employees in decision making, risk taking, and personal and professional growth.
    3. healthy and effective work environments have an organizational culture that supports communication and collaboration, views individuals as assets, and reduces decision making not solely to considerations of money, but also to consideration for the impact of decisions on the organization’s mission and its members.
    4. healthy and effective work environments have a “feeling tone” in which individuals are encouraged to feel physically and emotionally safe. A sense of family is commonly reported in healthy work environments, and cheer is evident within work teams and the organization as a whole. pirat

Heath J, Johanson W, Blake N. Healthy work environments: a validation of the literature. J Nurs Adm. 2004;34:524-530.
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:27 pm

carlo_0829 wrote:
    Healthy Work Environments are important for the overall health of nurses, for successful nurse recruitment and retention, and for the quality and safety of patient care. Healthy work environments are healing, empowering environments that have been correlated with employee engagement and organizational commitment. These environments are characterized by a high level of trust between management and employees; by employees who treat each other in a respectful manner; by an organizational culture that supports skilled communication and collaboration; and by a climate in which employees feel emotionally and physically safe ( Shirey, 2006). For the purposes of this article, a healthy work environment is conceptualized as a professional practice environment in which employees are skilled communicators and where face-to-face interactions are open, positive, and consistent with one's professional and ethical mandates. Achieving HWEs is a nursing imperative ( Cornett & O'Rourke, 2009; Stichler, 2009)

From what you have mentioned, a healthy environment begins from a good relationship between the organiztion and employees thru can provide the patient safety and quality care.

thank you for your response
    carlo_0829
    carlo_0829

Post  carlo_0829 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 11:33 am

[quote="yl

3.For you, how is a healthy environment be manifested?

[/quote]

Healthy Work Environments are important for the overall health of nurses, for successful nurse recruitment and retention, and for the quality and safety of patient care. Healthy work environments are healing, empowering environments that have been correlated with employee engagement and organizational commitment. These environments are characterized by a high level of trust between management and employees; by employees who treat each other in a respectful manner; by an organizational culture that supports skilled communication and collaboration; and by a climate in which employees feel emotionally and physically safe ( Shirey, 2006). For the purposes of this article, a healthy work environment is conceptualized as a professional practice environment in which employees are skilled communicators and where face-to-face interactions are open, positive, and consistent with one's professional and ethical mandates. Achieving HWEs is a nursing imperative ( Cornett & O'Rourke, 2009; Stichler, 2009)

ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 9:04 pm

therese_132409 wrote:
    how healthy environment can be manifested depends on how you want it to be because we have different preferences. a healthy environment for you might not be a healthy environment for me. but the people involved around could work on and talk how an environment can be healthy to the general population.

I'd like to give credit to what you have said that we have different preferences on what an healthy environment therefore it only shows that each and every one of us are different individuals who have different and unique personalities.

therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 Thu 21 Oct 2010, 7:35 pm

an authentic leader is noble. a person who has the passion and mission to bring change in any way and place they can and didn't chose to whom he will bring it. a person who doesn't care how many people will be involved as long as they are encouraged and driven to work as one.
    interpesonal antecedents can be developed and accelerated through experiences, interactions to others, from teachings, from observations, or by himself only. it depends on how that person will integrate it into his mind and put it into action that will further change or developed into him.
    how healthy environment can be manifested depends on how you want it to be because we have different preferences. a healthy environment for you might not be a healthy environment for me. but the people involved around could work on and talk how an environment can be healthy to the general population.
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 6:42 pm

edliwag wrote:
    A healthy environment in nursing involves having a positive impact on the health of the people. It's a stress free environment where people work toward achieving optimum wellness in life. The overall health status of the people are good and balance and harmony is achieved through job acquisition, recreational activities and the like. Access to clean and safe hospitals wherein quality care is given and satisfying personal needs by the clients makes a healthy environment. In incorporating the idea of authentic leadership to promoting a healthy environment through building trust and transparency, quality of care is given premium and the biggest beneficiary will be the people.

Your response to a healthy environment is well understood but it is not actually seen in the current situation in the country. Because there certain issues that contribute in implemenatating a healthy environment in the country.

thank you then for your response
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 6:33 pm

Charis Juan wrote:
    As relationship is the core of leadership and nursing practice focuses on relationships, it is important for a leader to build trust among his followers, to be able to create or sustain a healthy working environment.

I agree that relationship is needed in creating or sustaining a healthy working environment because this connects two individual bodies to attain a certain goal.

ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 3:52 pm

cezzy wrote:
    Interpersonal skills were described as soft skills and thus include the ability of a person to interact with diverse individuals (Bolt, J. & Hagemann, B., 2009). Thus, I think those skills aside from growing on its natural phase, can be accelerated if the person permits such action to occur. Acceleration of personal antecedents is sometimes needed in order to mature in a given situation and to the people that an individual interacts with.

This is an interesting response regarding how interpersonal antecedetns can be develop naturally and at the same time be accelerated

ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 3:37 pm

AC Ver wrote:

It is said that all workplaces can be healthy if nurses and employers are firm in their desire to address not only the physical environment, but also the less tangible barriers to staff and patient safety. There are 6 standards necessary to establish and sustain healthy work environments in healthcare according to American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, these are skilled communication, true collaboration, effective decision making, appropriate staffing, meaningful recognition and authentic leadership.

As i have mentioned in my discussion paper in relation to your response, The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses identified authentic leadership as a key element in a healthy work environment. Authentic leaders have been called the “glue” needed to create a successful work environment.

ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:41 pm

chel_calvelo wrote:

I think authentic leaders are the maturing force within the work environment. Having a good communication with their followers will really help leaders to understand them. They should learn to trust and respect their followers. They should have the guts to take risk in order to achieve their goals. In my opinion, to be able to become an authentic leader, you must be responsible, true to yourself and open-minded. You must not just think of attaining a goal for your own sake but also for the sake of your followers. I think these interpersonal antecedents can be develop as we go along in life. We can learn many things that will help us improve. For me, a healthy environment is manifested when the leader and their followers have a good relationship with each other. When it comes into practice, a healthy environment is manifested when there is effective delivery of care.
    cheers sunny

In my assessment, i think your opinion had link the two ideas - authentic leadesrhip and healthy environment and how it is develop in the process. And the important connection between them is having a good relationship within the organization so as to deliver the appropriate nursing care to patient.

ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:31 pm

khayee_07 wrote:
    but my opinion of a healthy environment is manifested by its physical condition which facilitates a conducive atmosphere among the people within it and further brings encouragement and good actions & interactions among the people. also, something which would light the start and effort from someone who would stand and finally decide to become THE Leader Smile

I agree with this statement of yours, because as you have stated condusive atmosphere can become a way for further professional development and growth of the person. That each of the people within the organization is being appreciated and respected for who they are.

Thank you for your reply
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:15 pm

cpenuliar wrote:
    Destructive workplace behaviors contribute to the inability to retain nurses in the healthcare environment because of the stress associated with these behaviors. Briles (2003) defined the problem of destructive workplace behavior as “working manners, habits, and styles that can directly and negatively affect the bottom line of a unit, department, and the entire organization.”

I would have to agree with you with this statement, because if nurses work in a environment which isn't healthy meaning contributing factors for stress, the nurse tend not to give the kind of care appropriate for the kind of patient. Nursing care may not be already a nursing care but a task that is just to be done.

Last edited by ylaganroidah on Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
    edliwag

Post  edliwag Thu 21 Oct 2010, 1:38 am

A healthy environment in nursing involves having a positive impact on the health of the people. It's a stress free environment where people work toward achieving optimum wellness in life. The overall health status of the people are good and balance and harmony is achieved through job acquisition, recreational activities and the like. Access to clean and safe hospitals wherein quality care is given and satisfying personal needs by the clients makes a healthy environment. In incorporating the idea of authentic leadership to promoting a healthy environment through building trust and transparency, quality of care is given premium and the biggest beneficiary will be the people.

Healthy work environments are empirically linked to patients’ satisfaction and to retention, reduced turnover, increased attraction, job satisfaction, and lower degree of job stress and burnout among nurses.1,2 Increasingly, professional organizations and state and national commissions are challenging nurses, hospital administrators, and health-care organizations to improve the practice environment for staff nurses in order to reap the benefits, particularly patients’ safety and nurses’ job satisfaction and retention.1–9 Achieving such improvement requires a baseline reading of staff nurses’ perceptions of the health of the work environment, implementation of improvement strategies, and confirmation of the success or failure of the strategies by clinical nurses at the front line.(Kramer)
    Charis Juan

Post  Charis Juan Thu 21 Oct 2010, 1:10 am

Environment is part a leader’s considerations in making decisions and taking actions. It is also one of those factors that will be affected by his decisions and actions. A healthy working environment may, therefore, be the result of his effective leadership when his followers are motivated to work more, inspired to improve their work and develop themselves in an atmosphere of trust and optimism towards their leader. And the opposite may be that ineffective leadership will contribute to an unhealthy environment. And as what you stated, unhealthy work environments contribute to medical errors, ineffective delivery of care, and conflict and stress among health professionals.

As relationship is the core of leadership and nursing practice focuses on relationships, it is important for a leader to build trust among his followers, to be able to create or sustain a healthy working environment.
    cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Wed 20 Oct 2010, 2:49 pm

George, B. (2003) cited that the ability of the leader to demonstrate passion for the mission by describing the mission and enlisting employees to jointly live the mission is an example of authentic leadership. Moreover on a personal view, I think the ability to perceive that one possesses traits of what we define "authentic leader" is quite hard. I've seen and worked with a lot of leaders, however, I can't exactly differentiate if those leaders are just compliant with their task or they're being true to themselves (George, B.,2003) in being the person they were created to be rather than developing the image or persona of a leader.

Interpersonal skills were described as soft skills and thus include the ability of a person to interact with diverse individuals (Bolt, J. & Hagemann, B., 2009). Thus, I think those skills aside from growing on its natural phase, can be accelerated if the person permits such action to occur. Acceleration of personal antecedents is sometimes needed in order to mature in a given situation and to the people that an individual interacts with.

By definition, a healthy work environment is "a work setting in which policies, procedures, and systems are designed so that employees are able to meet organizational objectives and achieve personal satisfaction in their work (Disch J. ,2002, p.3). The term healthy work environment with its humane elements appears to be used interchangeably to incorporate healing work environments (Kerfoot K, ,1992). Regardless of whether an organizational classifier or a philosophical approach is used to describe the work environment, common characteristics of healthy work environments include 4 elements (Heath J, Johanson W, Blake N. ,2004).

1. In healthy and effective work environments, employees are treated in a respectful and fair manner.

2. Healthy and effective work environments exhibit a strong sense of trust between management and employees. These organizations engage and empower employees in decision making, risk taking, and personal and professional growth.

3. Healthy and effective work environments have an organizational culture that supports communication and collaboration, views individuals as assets, and reduces decision making not solely to considerations of money, but also to consideration for the impact of decisions on the organization’s mission and its members.

4. Healthy and effective work environments have a "feeling tone" in which individuals are encouraged to feel physically and emotionally safe.

References:

George B. (2003). Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value. San Francisco, Calif: Jossey-Bass

Bolt, J. and Hagemann, B. (July 2009). Lessons from the front line: Harvesting Tomorrow's Leaders. How do Line Leaders grow the best talent.

Disch J. (2002). Creating healthy work environments. Creat Nurs. 8(2):3–4.

Kerfoot K, (1992). Neumann T. Creating a healing environment: the nurse manager’s challenge. Nurs Econ. ;10:423–425.

Heath J, Johanson W, Blake N. (2004). Healthy work environments: a validation of the literature. J Nurs Adm. 34:524–530.

AC Ver
    AC Ver

Post  AC Ver Wed 20 Oct 2010, 1:53 am

I believe that in one way or another someone can be an authentic leader at some point in their leadership experience even without them being aware of it. This is for the reason that by simply being true to himself, being true to what his capabilities are, acting in regard to what he knows is right/ethical and being open to critiques or what others have to say on the subject of his performance as a leader one is already able to practice the components in being an authentic leader. In relation to the characteristics mentioned, these leaders function with activities that will always reflect their core values (George, 2003). Such people display a high level of integrity and remain committed to building an organization through purpose, value, heart, relationships, and self-discipline.

I think interpersonal antecedents’ development of authentic leadership can be in a natural way and accelerated at the same. Involving relations between persons comprise dynamic systems that change continuously during its existence, in this way it takes the natural course of progression. On the other hand, it can be accentuated depending if they tend to grow and improve in a manner sooner than what is anticipated most of it depending on the dedication of participants in its improvement.

It is said that all workplaces can be healthy if nurses and employers are firm in their desire to address not only the physical environment, but also the less tangible barriers to staff and patient safety. There are 6 standards necessary to establish and sustain healthy work environments in healthcare according to American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, these are skilled communication, true collaboration, effective decision making, appropriate staffing, meaningful recognition and authentic leadership.

Resources:
    1. George, W. (2003). Authentic leadership: Rediscovering the secrets to creating lasting value. San Francisco7 Jossey Bass.
    2. The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses 2005. AACN Standards for Establishing and Sustaining Healthy Work Environments: A Journey to Excellence
    From Aliso Viejo, Calif. American Journal of Critical Care. 2005;14: 187-197
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo Wed 20 Oct 2010, 12:45 am

I totally agree with your discussion paper that authentic leadership is somehow important to have a healthy environment. As what you’ve cited in your discussion: “Therefore to have a healthy environment there must be authentic leaders that conform to fact or speak the truth and therefore are worthy of trust, reliance, or belief. They develop heart and compassion by getting to know the life stories of those with whom they work and by engaging coworkers in shared meaning”, I think authentic leaders are the maturing force within the work environment. Having a good communication with their followers will really help leaders to understand them. They should learn to trust and respect their followers. They should have the guts to take risk in order to achieve their goals. In my opinion, to be able to become an authentic leader, you must be responsible, true to yourself and open-minded. You must not just think of attaining a goal for your own sake but also for the sake of your followers. I think these interpersonal antecedents can be develop as we go along in life. We can learn many things that will help us improve. For me, a healthy environment is manifested when the leader and their followers have a good relationship with each other. When it comes into practice, a healthy environment is manifested when there is effective delivery of care.
    cheers sunny
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Tue 19 Oct 2010, 3:29 pm

i guess becoming an authentic leader entails having the best intentions, appropriate approaches and guided by right principles... easy to read, but quite hard to elaborate right? because i think it takes a lot of courage, sacrifice and wisdom to become someone who is wholly oriented into the notion about what it takes to be one (authentic leader.

for me, interpersonal antecedent can be both develop naturally and accelerated at the same time... i believe it is a matter of choice whether to be connected and involved to another person or not..., but of course it is a requirement for someone aspiring to become a leader to reach out and initiate interaction with others...

talking about healthy environment would involve many factors that affect it, be it external or internal...
    but my opinion of a healthy environment is manifested by its physical condition which facilitates a conducive atmosphere among the people within it and further brings encouragement and good actions & interactions among the people. also, something which would light the start and effort from someone who would stand and finally decide to become THE Leader Smile
    cpenuliar

Post  cpenuliar Mon 18 Oct 2010, 2:45 am

In a healthy workplace environment, nurses thrive because of increased morale, increased job satisfaction, and decreased turnover. “The environment in which RNs work is an essential issue in their job satisfaction and turnover…. and a healthy work environment is the base for recruiting and retaining nurses and ultimately for providing optimal care for patients.” (Ulrich, Lavandero, Hart, Woods, Leggett, & Taylor, 2006).

Destructive workplace behaviors contribute to the inability to retain nurses in the healthcare environment because of the stress associated with these behaviors. Briles (2003) defined the problem of destructive workplace behavior as “working manners, habits, and styles that can directly and negatively affect the bottom line of a unit, department, and the entire organization.”

Considering the increasing demand for healthcare services, strategies need implemented to improve satisfaction, increase motivation, augment productivity, and improve retention to ensure safe and quality healthcare.

A healthy environment should manifest the following:
    • Nurse autonomy and control over his or her working environment
    • Collaborative communication among nurses, physicians, team members, and management
    • Competent nursing leadership
    • Protection from physical, verbal, and emotional abuse
    • Professional development
    • Recognition

Painter, J.(2009). Destructive Workplace Behaviors and Turnover in Nursing.
    Briles, J. (2003). Zapping conflict in the healthcare workplace. Denver, CO: Mile High Press, Ltd.
    Ulrich, B., Lavandero, R., Hart, K., Woods, D., Leggett, J. & Taylor, D. (2006). Critical care nurses’ work environments: A baseline status report. Critical Care Nurse.
    ylaganroidah

Authentic leadership for a healthy work environment Empty Authentic leadership for a healthy work environment

Post  ylaganroidah Mon 18 Oct 2010, 1:03 am

Authentic leadership for a healthy work environment

The Authentic Leadership is drawn from the principles of positive psychology; positive organizational scholarship is aimed at understanding positive human processes and organizational dynamics that make life meaningful (Cameron, Dutton, Quinn, & Wrzensniewski, 2003). That the progress is best achieved by focusing on and building people’s strengths rather than learning interventions that focus on what is wrong with people and their weaknesses. It aims to incorporate the leadership theories of positive leadership, transformational leadership and moral or ethical leadership. Authentic leaders do not fake their leadership wherein they do not pretend to be leaders simply because they are in a management position. These leaders lead from personal conviction rather than a desire for status or reward. Authentic leaders’ actions are based on their values. And according to the article “Authentic Leadership: A New Theory or Back to Basic?” there are components of the authentic leadership, self awareness which is developing an understanding and sense of self that provides a firm anchor for decisions and actions, balanced information processing which is an unbiased collection and interpretation of positive and negative self-related information, moral and ethical perspective behavior that is guided by core values, beliefs, thoughts and feelings rather than outside pressures and personalities and relational transparency high levels of openness, self-disclosure and trust in relationships.

In the health care setting, one of the greatest stressors nurses face is the environment in which they work is how they are treated in the workplace. The health care system is undergoing exponential change and nurses are faced with internal and external pressures that affect the functioning of the profession. Changes in nursing roles and settings carry implications for how nursing care is delivered and by whom. To cope with the complexity inherent in health care, it is imperative that nurses become strong leaders. Nurses must take part in directing the health care system, or risk having no voice in what it becomes. Nurses need to be skilled collaborators who can lead interdisciplinary teams to accomplish great things. A leader therefore is expected to help a group meet its goals, which involves taking risks and making unpopular decisions at times. A leader should be trustworthy, have integrity, possess strong communication skills, and be committed. This brings up the notion that leadership is an in-born “trait.” Leaders can only exist if there are also followers.

There is mounting evidence that unhealthy work environments contribute to medical errors, ineffective delivery of care, and conflict and stress among health professionals. Negative, demoralizing and unsafe conditions in workplaces cannot be allowed to continue. The publication, Silence Kills (Maxfield, Grenny, McMillan, Patterson, & Switzler, 2005), focused public awareness on the negative outcomes resulting from nurses' inability to communicate skillfully. The creation of healthy work environments is imperative to ensure patient safety, enhance staff recruitment and retention, and maintain an organization's financial viability. The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses identified authentic leadership as a key element in a healthy work environment. Authentic leaders have been called the “glue” needed to create a successful work environment; Attributes of effective leaders are genuineness, trustworthiness, reliability, compassion, and believability (American Association of Critical Care Nurses). Healthy work environments are supportive of the whole human being, are patient-focused, and are joyful workplaces.

Therefore to have a healthy environment there must be authentic leaders that conform to fact or speak the truth and therefore are worthy of trust, reliance, or belief. They develop heart and compassion by getting to know the life stories of those with whom they work and by engaging coworkers in shared meaning. Becoming one an authentic leader requires a personal journey of self-discovery, self improvement, reflection, and renewal. Healthy work environments, guided by authentic leaders, produce superior outcomes for both staff nurses and patient (Shirey, 2006)

Questions:
    1.How does someone become an authentic leader? Site example
    2.Do the interpersonal antecedents of authentic leadership only develop naturally or can the development be accelerated?
    3.For you, how is a healthy environment be manifested?

Reference:
    1. Ilies, R., Morgeson, F., Nahrgang, J. (2005). Authentic leadership and Eudaemonic Well-being: Understanding leader–follower outcomes. The Leadership Quarterly, 16: 373–394. doi:10.1016/j.leaqua.2005.03.002
    2. Shirey, Maria. (2006). Authentic Leaders Creating Healthy Work Environments for Nursing Practice. American Journal of Critical Care, 15: 256-267. Retrieved from http://www.aacn.org/WD/CETests/Media/A0615032.pdf
    3. Maxfield, D., Grenny, J., McMillan, R., Patterson, K., & Switzler, A. (2005). Silence kills: The seven crucial conversations in healthcare. Retrieved October 15, 2010 from www.aacn.org/WD/Practice/Docs/PublicPolicy/SilenceKillsExecSum.pdf

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 1:33 pm