UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+10
cezzy
cpenuliar
ylaganroidah
chel_calvelo
AntonJayTan
AC Ver
Charis Juan
edliwag
khayee_07
therese_132409
14 posters

Authentic leadership: leader-follower relationship

Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Authentic leadership: leader-follower relationship Empty Re:

Post  Tet Soriano Fri 22 Oct 2010, 8:52 pm

It is difficult to be a leader. If sometimes we find it hard to manage our own selves, it is more difficult to handle and manage people with different personalities.

Many times I have encountered a person not of worth to be called a leader because of lack of leadership skills. Knowing my dominant personality, I correct them and help them. I sometimes take their place if they insist because I am a person who wants the best and uncontented of average works.

A leader, to become authentic must know himself very well and act according to his real values. Not covering up but acting transparently according his true self. He should also be compassionate among his people and he should have good relationships with everyone. A person who is humble, unselfish, mindful, and helpful to others.

aimee
    aimee

Authentic leadership: leader-follower relationship Empty Re: Authentic leadership: leader-follower relationship

Post  aimee Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:49 pm

Authentic leaders speak the truth and lead from the heart, they are courageous and have rich moral fiber.They are dreamers and build teams and create communities. They deepen themselves and care for themselves. They commit to excellence rather than perfection. They leave a legacy and live in the hearts of the people around them. For them Success is wonderful but significance is even better.

Several factors should be considered to become effective leader. One can have the qualities of a good leader but other forces can affect ones performance. Such as corruption, red tape etc. Our country is flooded with great leaders but we lack authentic ones.

Robin S. Sharma, LL.M., http://www.selfgrowth.com
    mariekathleensantos

Authentic leadership: leader-follower relationship Empty Re: Authentic leadership: leader-follower relationship

Post  mariekathleensantos Fri 22 Oct 2010, 10:56 am

Even at present times, I still meet people who are given the title of "leader" but doesn't know what it means. Sadly, I wasn't able to contest with their wrong doings, though I have voiced out my take in some of them. I was guilty about it.. practicing our culture (fear of confrontation) which later i found out to be nontherapeutic.That is why I am trying my very best to be more transparent and vocal about my concerns nowadays. which are some of the qualities an authentic leader has. Congruently in my perspective, I am almost an authentic leader. "almost" because i"m still in the long process of it. study
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan Fri 22 Oct 2010, 4:48 am

flower
    therese_132409 wrote:
    As a first guide question, from your past, is it difficult to be a leader? Site an example that you have become an effective leader to your members despite of difficulties.

The level of difficulty that you will experience depends on your definition of what a leader is. If leader for you is taking all the responsibility of the group alone, that would definitely a hell-like experience. On the other hand, if being a leader for you mean leading and assisting the group to work as a team, then that would be a fruitful experience. With my experience as a basis, I can say that being a leader is not difficult. I learned that distributing the task equally will lessen the burden and make the working relationship good.

Second question, from you experiences in the undergraduate days and at the present, was there an instance that you encounter a leader who is not acting and talking as a leader? Did you happen to correct what he was inappropriately saying? And do what he or she should be doing as your leader?

Yes, I've encountered that kind of leader. Each of us has our own way of leading a team. Maybe the one you are describing used laissez faire style of leadership. Sometimes, it’s just annoying to work with a leader that is irresponsible (common in undergrad). However what we fail to realize is the fact that we are becoming too dependent to our leader. We are so much attached to the idea that we are being deprived of a good leader instead of thinking about ways on how we can contribute.
    No, I haven't experienced correcting my leaders' way of leading the team. Like a Star @ heaven
    cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:46 am

My answer on the first guide question that you've posted is somewhat the same with others so I'll just proceed answering the questions two and three.. Smile

Yes, I've experienced having a leader not having congruent words and actions, thus for me making her not a good and functional leader. There was a time when she decided to distribute the task and unfortunately it was done unequally, the resulting outcome – chaos. If I would define the kind of leadership she is exercising then, it might be an autocratic kind of leadership. She wants us to just follow the every command that she says. In this kind of leadership, the leader is in complete control and no one is permitted to make any suggestions or offer any opinions, no matter how it may benefit the group. So what we did is we had an open forum. From that open forum, though at first it was hard for her to listen to our point of view, she realized then that her style of leadership won’t help our group. We’ve discussed to her our concerns and since we are in a democratic country, we’ve also asked her to converse her side. Fortunately, though we had a rough flow of talk at first, the ending is we decided to work together then as a ‘group’. After that forum, we realized that for a harmonious kind of relationship to work (between the leader and follower), we must all be open for criticisms. Truthfulness and honesty surfaced in our group after, thus we had a positive outcome from our professor and from our classmates as well. Therefore, for my answer on the third guide question, for effectiveness of leadership to take place, a leader must first recognize the value of his/her followers, and then eventually, self-awareness will just flourish in the picture. Mutual respect and trust should be there so that a healthy working environment will be achieved as well. What a Face

cpenuliar

Post  cpenuliar Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:02 am

I can still remember our community immersion, I had a hard time managing my group members to do their parts or assigned task in the group. Some are not interested in accomplishing their task, but some are willing to finish not only their own parts. Most often results to chaos or disorganized state.

A team will look to their leader as an example of how things should be done. If a leader constantly works at a frantic pace but gets little done, or asks for information many times but fails to move an intention into action, it creates a disorganized state that stops the flow of progress. This disorganized way of working also unleashes stress and frustration and impacts on all members of a team.

A leader must therefore be able to organize his or her group members so that it encourages others to follow the example. By being organized a leader also demonstrates a wider selection of skills and management capability.
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 6:04 pm

Definitely it was difficult for me to become a leader if you know that your members are not cooperative in doing their part. That your members have different issues among them and that in return they don’t want to work with each other. They would just rely on your ability to do the task that is assigned to the group. Therefore being the leader, I have to do something so that we can have a productive outcome. The way that I have resolved that issue is by confronting them and ask what is wrong. By resolving the issue first among them would of big help in doing the work done in time. Confrontation is a way that these two opposing side can come together to work on the task. By doing this made me somehow an effective leader to the group.

I may have encountered such person during my younger days when the group would just volunteer other person to be the leader because no one wants to be the leader. And because she was not used to the fact of becoming a leader, those who know well about the topic that is assigned in the group, was the one who guided her along the way. Correcting her of being a leader maybe inappropriate that time because it is not her will to become a leader and was not prepared to be one. According to Robertson (2009), there are seven characteristic of an authentic leader, awareness and development of personal strength, awareness and acknowledgement of personal weaknesses, values-based decision making, integrity, empathy and respect for others, courage and lastly emotional management.
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo Thu 21 Oct 2010, 3:50 pm

I can say that somehow it is difficult to become a leader specially when your followers expectations are high. They think you’re the best person that’s why they appointed you. You need to be fair, true to your members and knowledgeable enough. I think I became a leader when I was a trainee nurse in a government hospital. We need to come up with a case presentation at the end of the training program. At first it was difficult because I need to communicate well with them and for me that is one of my weaknesses! I’m not the kind of person who can easily build relationships with others. But as time passes by, when I gave myself a try to know them better, I was able to have a good relationship with them. I learned to be an open-minded person, respect their ideas and be fair enough in delegating works. In return I was so happy because I earn much trust than what I expected. Surprised

I think I was very lucky because I was able to have the best leader during my undergrad days. He became my inspiration to be a good follower. He made us learned to became responsible enough in doing our crafts. For me it was the ideal leader-follower relationship because he brought about change in us to help us became a better person.

To be an effective leader, he/she should also address its weaknesses and don’t just merely focus on its strength. Let us keep in mind that nobody’s perfect. Every mistake in life is an opportunity for us to become better person in the future. Failure may hurt so much but believe me you will definitely learn from it.. flower lol!
    AntonJayTan
    AntonJayTan

Post  AntonJayTan Thu 21 Oct 2010, 3:15 pm

I can remember being the leader on our community organizing during our undergraduate years. I learned from that experienced the value of communication and hard work. I believe that in some points of our lives we become leaders. We control and lead others and become their inspiration even in simple ways.
    AC Ver
    AC Ver

Post  AC Ver Thu 21 Oct 2010, 2:54 pm

I remember the early years of my education, during elementary and high school. When I was asked to be a leader of a group may it be in discussing a topic or in being a class officer in charge of the whole class, I would always assume that of all the members I would have the biggest chunk of work plus I would have the greatest responsibility to the outcome of what we are doing. During in elementary and high school, group members would most of the time rely on their leader—sometimes they simply can’t help to be lazy Sleep (this goes out for some students and not all Very Happy). What I did before for us to be able to perform the task expected of us was to let them know first our goal/ our assugnment. Once they know already the purpose of the grouping, I will divide the work equally per individual. If they are experiencing difficulty in doing whatever is assigned to them, I would make sure that I will be able to help since that part or one member will reflect the work of the whole group. In college years, it was a little easier to become a leader though there was much serious task involved (nursing management in the ward, nursing program implementation in community, case presentations, etc.) since group members are much more mature when it comes to group work. There was already the value of cooperation and being open to what each and everyone has to say and members already tend to have the initiative and motivation to do more of what is assigned to them.

It is to be expected that there will be leaders at times who may not function as how they are supposed to. Yes, during my undergraduate years and even at work there are instances that the appointed leader won’t act as one since that leader won’t see his/her way clear in leading the group. From my experience, what we did as members being concerned of the whole group, we have said our honest feedback, in that way the leader may know his/her inappropriate undertakings and for him/her to have an idea to what potential actions to do for the group for the improvement not just of the leader but for the enhancement of the performance of the whole team as well.
    Charis Juan

Post  Charis Juan Thu 21 Oct 2010, 2:19 pm

In an organization where you work with a lot of people, it is necessary to know the structure of the office, the people who will be your superiors or subordinates or co-workers, and the duties you have to perform. The knowledge that you acquire from these will then be used to enhance work, contribute to a healthy working environment and maintain positive relationships with co-workers. I think one of the qualities that are valued in the office these days is competence in work. If you are a leader, it is paramount that you know what you’re talking about, you know how to get things done so that others will respect you, and you perform with the necessary skills, care and diligence. As what others say “PRACTICE WHAT YOU PREACH”. This is my experience in the corporate world where people value you more if they see that what you’ve got and what you can contribute to the organization.

Secondly, positive relationships with other people should complement competence on the job.

One of the factors that turns people off is if a person in position displays ignorance in the performance of his functions such that he delegates even the tasks of the position for which he was selected. This can lead to low morale, confusion and a negative work environment. This situation is the antithesis of what you said in your article that “Leadership is a responsibility, as well as a commitment”.
    edliwag

Authentic leadership: leader-follower relationship Empty Authentiv leadership

Post  edliwag Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:43 am

In the undergraduate days, I normally encounter 2 leadership styles and for me these 2 traits are probably the most prevalent that you can see during those days... One is the Autocratic style, the favorite of the lazy ones wherein the leader is not really friends with the group and he/she thinks he/she knows more than the group and cant risk having them do the job because he/she thinks the whole group will fail if they do the job.. and the second is the Democratic style which is suited if all the members in the group are friends and they all strive to reach a common goal. having said that, I think the answer to the question posted is if you belong to the autocratic leader, you will not really care because everything is being taken care of and for the democratic type, you will not risk telling on your friend because you value the friendship more than the assigned task.
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:05 am

referring to my past experience, particularly during high school days, leadership for me was a privilege... i got to share what i know, expressed what i feel, and got what i want..., but i do them in a way that i so much care about the feelings of my subordinate that i tend to please them... leadership was like an opportunity as well to be recognized by faculties and become known to peers... i wasn't really concern about my responsibility... but when i came into college, i realized that leadership entails a greater dedication and is a very serious matter to get yourself involved with..., so what happened was i rather chose to be a member instead of becoming a leader for i avoid greater tasks and responsibilities...
    for me to become an effective leader is different from becoming an authentic leader; with consideration to situation at present, extend and period of effectiveness and way of acquiring such...
    with my past experience, i may claim that i was once an effective leader though i didn't have all the good qualities of a true one, considering that the goal of our group was attained, less interpersonal conflicts occurred, no personal damage happened (i guess) and we were all happy at the end with the kind of outcome we had...

honestly speaking, whether he is a leader or not, correcting someone's mistake is something that is not easy to do especially if he/she is your friend or if you already have the perception that such comment or opinion wouldn't be accepted at all because of your previous experience... consideration of how you deliver your opinion or comment should be made to avoid misunderstanding... however, i definitely experience correcting someone mistake, even if he's a leader for that matter... Laughing

i would just mention two things, BEST INVESTMENT (relationship with the people, good intention and motives, selfless decision and action etc) and BEST OUTLOOK (willingness to continue, commitment, aiming for a better future etc) for a leader to become effective.... bounce
    therese_132409

Authentic leadership: leader-follower relationship Empty Authentic leadership: leader-follower relationship

Post  therese_132409 Wed 20 Oct 2010, 2:44 pm

Do you remember the times when our teacher or a classmate ask this, “Who would like to be the leader?” – may it be for a group project or any activity. The room became silent, no one would like to volunteer, one will recommend him, the other is appointing her. As a solution, we will declare for an election and vote or to be fair, the picked piece of paper with someone’s name is the leader even if he/she is against it. And if someone will offer his or herself, we are somewhat surprised because we thought that being a leader sometimes, has a lot to do compared to the group members. It’s really annoying if your groupmates will be expecting you to finish their work just because you’re the leader. As a first guide question, from your past, is it difficult to be a leader? Site an example that you have become an effective leader to your members despite of difficulties.
    When I saw the word “authentic”, it immediately reminds me of the second chapter (Defining the Authentic Self) of a book I’m reading written Dr. Phil. It is about identifying one’s authentic self - real, genuine, true identity/self of a person from the inside out; similar with what encapsulated by Shakespeare in Hamlet’s: “To thine own self be true”, and to the third underlying element for the authenticity construct - authentic behaviour or “acting in accord with one’s true self”. Again, according to Dr. Phil, we have certain traits, qualities, gifts, needs, desires, a core purpose for being in this world; similar to the definition provided in the article that self-awareness of a leader is “a process where one continually comes to understand his or her unique talents, strengths, sense of purpose, core values, beliefs and desires” (Gardner et al.,2005, p. 349). The way I see it, a follower should also have identified his/ her authenticity or recognized self-awareness for a leader-follower relationship to be established. Cooper and Sawaf (1997) regard authenticity as an ‘energy field’ which derives from within a person and conveys stronger meanings to those who engage with them.
    Leadership is a responsibility as well as, a commitment. It is not functional without the followers. Trust with each other is very important in any kind of relationship. It can be built and fully attained when your words are congruent with your actions. By this, you can be a truly authentic leader together with other characteristics. Relational transparency or open-mindedness of a leader is a democratic kind of leadership. Based on the article, listening to nurses, asking about their visions for practice, keeping promises made to them, faithfully representing them, and celebrating their accomplishments are signals of authentic leadership that foster work engagement. In a study of health care teams, leader inclusiveness, the extent to which leaders invited others’ contributions, predicted psychological safety, which in turn was related to quality improvement work (Nembhard & Edmondson, 2006). It has been well established that when people know that they are valued, they also feel empowered and become able to accept responsibility and ownership for whatever soul, tone, wellbeing and successes occur within the workplace (Rogers, 2005; Storch et al., 2002). This is about the ethical climate of trust which further promote patient safety, excellence in care, and recruit and retain nurses (Avolio and Gardner, 2005; Kerfoot, 2006; Shirey, 2006). Furthermore, it has been suggested that authentic leaders influence follower well-being through multiple channels. Some of these pathways include unconditional trust on the part of the follower, positive emotions engendered by the leader, and self-determination as fostered by the leader, who places a premium on follower development. By nurturing followers through coaching, development and feedback, today’s leaders can create a cadre of leaders for the future who will also be committed to developing those who follow them (Collinson, 2002). Also in the article, authentic leadership was described as making a difference in organizations by helping people to find meaning at work, build optimism and commitment among followers. Wong and Cummings concentrated on the positive psychological capacities (hope, optimism, resilience, etc.) of an authentic leader. Ilies, Morgeson, & Nahrgang, 2005 entails that authentic leaders express their true selves and display hope, optimism, and confidence.
    As what the authors said, it is not another theory for leadership. For me, it is new as a theory of “authentic leadership” to be recognized by every institution as a useful guide to achieve effective leader-follower relationship and leadership-development especially to the nursing profession. A leader may not be naturally born but can be made and developed. It is not literally going back to basics. It just puts value and acknowledgement to what has been known and published leadership theories in the past.

Second question, from you experiences in the undergraduate days and at the present, was there an instance that you encounter a leader who is not acting and talking as a leader? Did you happen to correct what he was inappropriately saying? And do what he or she should be doing as your leader?
    What other characteristic/s you think is/are to be visualized and expected by a leader to be authentic and effective?

Richard Smith, Narottam Bhindi, Jens Hansen, Dan Riley & Johan Rall Questioning the notion of ‘authentic’ leadership in education: The perspectives of ‘followers’ (2008)
    Marilyn Macik-Frey James Campbell Quick Debra L. Nelson Advances in Occupational Health: From a Stressful Beginning to a Positive Future (December 2007)

Gill Collinson The primacy of purpose and the leadership of nursing, Nursing Times Research 2002

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 9:19 am