E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning


    authentic leadership

    Share

    elenor

    Posts : 4
    Join date : 2011-07-14

    authentic leadership

    Post  elenor on Sat 16 Jul 2011, 11:03 am

    Confidence and trust of the followers to leaders are very crucial to an effective and efficient delivery of care. However, there are factors that are barriers to development of these attitudes. A study published about the nature of leadership style in nursing profession, established that nurse managers intimidates their staff nurses. The intimidation contributes to lack of confidence and trust of the nurses. This highly affects the performance of nurses in the clinical field. ( Azaare, J. & Gross, J., 2011) Both the followers and the leaders develop blocks that hinder confidence and trust of the both parties. Wong and Cumming prescribed the model of Authentic Leadership. According to them, to be transparent and to demonstrate integrity for every action and decision, self awareness is a priority. By being self aware, confidence and trust are established by the followers to their leaders. The concept of self awareness was highly emphasized in Authentic Leadership. In an article published by Canada Newswire (2011), authentic leaders are used to be mindful in their own individuality. It is quoted in the same article that “leaders today cannot lead others until they are true to themselves.” From this context, I personally think that leaders should really know what they stand for in life and it will only be achieved if they “know thyself."

    The theory of authentic leadership can be widely use in nursing management. Authenticity has been described as a relationship between leader and follower, (Canada Newswire, 2011) I think it can also be applied to nurse and patient relationship, nurse as the leader and patient as the follower. The nurse as the leader should be authentic to be transparent in her decision towards managing all kinds of patients. Self awareness of nurses can build patient's confidence and develop trust to their nurses thus, promoting cooperation in the course of care.

    References:
    Azaare, J. & Gross, J. (2011). The nature of leadership style in nursing management. British Journal of Nursing, 20(11), p672-680

    Canada Newswire(2011). Authentic leadership drives business results.

    Wong, C., Spence, H. & Cummings, G. (2010). Authentic leadership and nurses’ voice behavior and perceptions of care quality. Journal of Nursing Managemen[/font]t, 18(Cool
    [/size][code]

    barriosjus

    Posts : 1
    Join date : 2011-07-16

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  barriosjus on Sat 16 Jul 2011, 4:43 pm

    Discussions of leadership are often hopelessly intertwined with issues of authority. Avolio and Gardner (2005) proposed that authentic leadership makes a difference in organizations by helping people to find meaning at work, build optimism and commitment among followers, encourage transparent relationships that build trust. A basic tenet of authentic leadership is the notion that authenticity requires heightened levels of SELF-AWARENESS. It has been defined that self-awareness is knowing one’s strengths and weaknesses, emotions and values. For authentic leaders to share transparently and act with integrity requires self-awareness. According to Bernard M. Bass (1985), that truly Authentic transformational leadership must be grounded from moral foundations. A free contract is often assumed as a model of transacting between leaders and followers. A contract must have moral legitimacy (Donaldson and Dunfee, 1994). It recognizes pluralism of values and diversity of Motivations (Rawls, 1971). Burns (1978}, Bass (1985) and Howell and Avolio (1992), among others, examined the morality of transformational leadership. For Burns, to be transformational, the leader had to be morally uplifting. Transformational leaders could be virtuous or villainous depending on their values. Howell and Avolio felt that only socialized leaders concerned for the common good can be truly transformational leaders. Personalized leaders, primarily concerned with their own self-interests, cannot be truly transformational leaders. For me the self-awareness has its factors in influence followers, Values are tailored to individuals.


    elenor

    Posts : 4
    Join date : 2011-07-14

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  elenor on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 8:48 am

    To Mr. Barrios:
    It has been evident in the theory that authenticity is vital in leadership. Authentic leadership is being claimed as the root of other leadership theories. (Ronald, J., Burk, & Copper) A transformational leader cannot be that self aware of his self. Individuals are believed to be on a contuinuum from being inauthentic to being authentic. (Erickson, 1995) Thus, authenticity can be modifiable, and can be learn. A challenge to the nursing profession specially to the graduate sector of nursing, is to enhance, improve, and help nursing professionals to be aware of themselves. Students of graduate schools have the capability of leading the nursing units because of their educational attainment. I believe that self awareness of nursing managers should start early and even before being a nurse manager. It should be practice early in their career or even in their early life. Practice makes perfect, that is why if every nurses are aware of their beliefs, values, preferences, etc. even before, many young nurses are potentially capable of leading the nursing profession.

    Meann Baeza

    Posts : 1
    Join date : 2011-07-17

    re: Authentic Leadership

    Post  Meann Baeza on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 3:17 pm

    Authentic Leadership as described is a form of leadership that makes a difference in organizations by helping people to find meaning at work, building optimism and commitment among followers, encourages relationships, that builds trust and promote inclusive and positive ethical climates.
    This challenges the leader to create an environment conducive for every members of the organization to grow and become interactive in addressing each other’s needs. Making every member comfortable to speak openly about issues of their concerns and do so without fear of organizational punishment.
    However the greatest challenge of this theory is how personal history and events experiences shape the leader’s values, beliefs and behaviour. My present situation could relate with this issue. For three years in the clinical practice I am always looking forward of having a safe environment for the preparation of chemotherapeutic drugs. And now this concern is somehow addressed by having someone that led us to pursue this goal. They were the speaker of our recently held IV updates program in the hospital. And I personally admired these two women for being genuinely concern with this issue even they are not connected with our institution. The demonstration of positive behaviour and understanding on the real issue of hazards that chemotherapy is bringing to us came from their own experiences and personal encounter with friends who suffered from cancer and could relate their practice on the acquisition of the disease. By having these experiences they could now thoroughly discussed the issue. And their motivations lead us to better understanding with the problem and heightened our willingness to demand what is truly necessary to lessen our risk of exposure from chemotherapeutic hazards.
    It mobilizes the staffs to act and find solution with their problem and address the concern to higher authorities without any feeling of hesitation because we know within ourselves that it is just the rightful thing to do. The display of confidence by the staffs accounts on this two person perseverance in giving support and inspiration to each one of us who attended the updates.
    For me, how the leader perceives things were truly influenced by their personal experiences. Though they might be aware of the issues that surrounds them but their life experiences define their priorities in terms of their leadership and management. Therefore, other things were viewed less important which unto others are at prime importance. Nowadays most nurses’ experiences “burn out” in their work because of how organization they are in does not meet their demands and even their basic needs for a favourable environment suited for staff development and safe practice.
    Therefore an authentic leader is an agent of change and with the ability to sustain change to form a consistent environment that able to support the change. This can be achieved through focusing one’s management on the needs of his/her followers more than her own personal views of the problem that surround the institution he/she belong.

    gia_anupol

    Posts : 5
    Join date : 2011-07-17

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  gia_anupol on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:04 pm

    "Leadership is not exerting power over others or exhorting them to follow you. Rather, it results from your example of empowering others to step up and lead. Leaders do that by learning to lead themselves, becoming self-aware and behaving authentically."- Bill George

    Self Awareness is having a clear perception of your personality, including strengths, weaknesses, thoughts, beliefs, motivation, and emotions. Self Awareness allows you to understand other people, how they perceive you, your attitude and your responses to them in the moment. This is very essential in becoming an effective leader for how will one lead if he/she doesn't even know his/her own self.

    Authentic leadership may be one of the best styles of leadership because it not only focuses on the people being led on but on enhancing the potential of one person to serve other people. This is most applicable to nurses who are rendering care.



    gia_anupol

    Posts : 5
    Join date : 2011-07-17

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  gia_anupol on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:12 pm

    elenor wrote:Confidence and trust of the followers to leaders are very crucial to an effective and efficient delivery of care. However, there are factors that are barriers to development of these attitudes. A study published about the nature of leadership style in nursing profession, established that nurse managers intimidates their staff nurses. The intimidation contributes to lack of confidence and trust of the nurses. This highly affects the performance of nurses in the clinical field. ( Azaare, J. & Gross, J., 2011) Both the followers and the leaders develop blocks that hinder confidence and trust of the both parties. Wong and Cumming prescribed the model of Authentic Leadership. According to them, to be transparent and to demonstrate integrity for every action and decision, self awareness is a priority. By being self aware, confidence and trust are established by the followers to their leaders. The concept of self awareness was highly emphasized in Authentic Leadership. In an article published by Canada Newswire (2011), authentic leaders are used to be mindful in their own individuality. It is quoted in the same article that “leaders today cannot lead others until they are true to themselves.” From this context, I personally think that leaders should really know what they stand for in life and it will only be achieved if they “know thyself."

    The theory of authentic leadership can be widely use in nursing management. Authenticity has been described as a relationship between leader and follower, (Canada Newswire, 2011) I think it can also be applied to nurse and patient relationship, nurse as the leader and patient as the follower. The nurse as the leader should be authentic to be transparent in her decision towards managing all kinds of patients. Self awareness of nurses can build patient's confidence and develop trust to their nurses thus, promoting cooperation in the course of care.

    References:
    Azaare, J. & Gross, J. (2011). The nature of leadership style in nursing management. British Journal of Nursing, 20(11), p672-680

    Canada Newswire(2011). Authentic leadership drives business results.

    Wong, C., Spence, H. & Cummings, G. (2010). Authentic leadership and nurses’ voice behavior and perceptions of care quality. Journal of Nursing Managemen[/font]t, 18(Cool
    [/size][code]

    i look at intimidation and confidence the other way. intimidation arises from low esteem. these people who intimidate others and who are intimidated, have no confidence with themselves. having no confidence is being poor also in self awareness. because i believe that when you are well aware of yourself, of who you are, you will be able to trust other people around you. thus, it wont result to intimidations.

    gia_anupol

    Posts : 5
    Join date : 2011-07-17

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  gia_anupol on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 5:21 pm

    elenor wrote:To Mr. Barrios:
    It has been evident in the theory that authenticity is vital in leadership. Authentic leadership is being claimed as the root of other leadership theories. (Ronald, J., Burk, & Copper) A transformational leader cannot be that self aware of his self. Individuals are believed to be on a contuinuum from being inauthentic to being authentic. (Erickson, 1995) Thus, authenticity can be modifiable, and can be learn. A challenge to the nursing profession specially to the graduate sector of nursing, is to enhance, improve, and help nursing professionals to be aware of themselves. Students of graduate schools have the capability of leading the nursing units because of their educational attainment. I believe that self awareness of nursing managers should start early and even before being a nurse manager. It should be practice early in their career or even in their early life. Practice makes perfect, that is why if every nurses are aware of their beliefs, values, preferences, etc. even before, many young nurses are potentially capable of leading the nursing profession.

    i agree with ms elenor. but in order to help the other nurses to be self aware, they should also be open to improving themselves. because we cannot help those who doesn't want to be helped. this is a new challenge for this kind of leadership is not applied in our setting. its more on using power and "connections". if authentic leadership will be applied by every nurses, then we may achieve that one goal that we nurses are aiming for... to serve those who are in need.

    JB

    Posts : 2
    Join date : 2011-07-17

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  JB on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 6:42 pm

    There is an impending gap in the nursing practice with the forthcoming retirement of nursing leaders and the shortage of competent nurses, thus a void is left causing uncertainty in the field of practice. A significant problem and a challenge as well in the present time is the creation of new leaders in elevating nursing as a whole through authentic leadership. Authentic leadership is a leadership that is based on positivity and strong ethical foundations that will steer nursing to produce better research and improved practice. In addition, as the technology advances, more issues will arise from ethical dilemmas and more stressful working environment will flourish which can be detrimental to both patients and nurses. Wong’s proposed theory on authentic leadership was created in hope of finding the most effective form of leadership that can pave the way towards a meaningful life among nurses and their patients. This form of leadership builds on optimism and commitment to the profession. The implementation of authentic leadership can affect not only the nursing workforce and the profession but the healthcare delivery system and society as a whole. Creating a healthy work environment for nursing practice is crucial to maintain an adequate nursing workforce; the stressful nature of the profession often leads to burnout, disability, and high absenteeism and ultimately contributes to the escalating shortage of nurses. Leaders play a pivotal role in retention of nurses by shaping the healthcare practice environment to produce quality outcomes for staff nurses and patients (Shirey 2006). Also, organizational culture and leadership matter in creating and sustaining healthy work environments. Nurse managers play a pivotal role in creating these environments, yet they need supportive structures and resources to more effectively execute their roles (Shirey 2009).
    There is leadership, and then there is authentic leadership. If you are not willing to engage from your heart, to passionately work to create a greater quality of work life for front-line staff every day, and to push yourself to the ultimate limit to make that happen, you might be a leader, but you will not be perceived as an authentic leader. Authentic leaders love, challenge people to do what they didn't believe was possible, and generate the energy to make the impossible possible by their passion for their people, their patients, and for doing the right thing. A key element of a healthy work environment is trust: trust between staff and their leaders. Authentic leadership is proposed as the core of effective leadership needed to build trust because of its clear focus on the positive role modeling of honesty, integrity, and high ethical standards in the development of leader-follower relationships (Wong & Cummings 2009). Authentic leaders are intrinsically grown but are molded by the values and experience imparted to them. They are the ones who are hopeful, optimistic, and resilient in times of uncertainty. They keep their line of communication open and value their group first even at their own expense. It is of essence that they act both with rational objectivity and subjectivity. Self awareness is vital in authentic leadership. Through careful assessment of one’s strength and weaknesses, the person can be more open to things and can decide better without kneejerk reactions from their emotions. Leaders with high self awareness are more adaptable to the ever changing society and remain composed at times of hardships. An authentic leader must act with compassion for its followers and align their values with their actions. An author said, “Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death” - Sun Tzu.
    Leaders should be transparent and function accordingly and not act with automaticity. There is pressure and a significant role among master’s students to propel nursing, contribute to research, and be the sturdy anchor of nursing in the future. Nurses must possess leadership that exemplifies character and integrity to attain current and future goals. The challenge for nurses nowadays is to make their own path and leave a trail rather than follow where a path may lead which in consequence will create innovation in our profession. There is a call for them to create a sustainable development in the field. The best theoretical or practical approaches to achieving learning outcomes in nursing likely depend on multiple variables, including instructor-related variables. Application of the principles inherent in servant leadership to teaching/learning in nursing education is suggested as a way to produce professional nurses who are willing and able to transform the health care environment to achieve higher levels of quality and safety. Thus, the concept of servant teaching is introduced with discussion of the following principles and their application to teaching in nursing: judicious use of power, listening and empathy, willingness to change, reflection and contemplation, collaboration and consensus, service learning, healing, conceptualization, stewardship, building community, and commitment to the growth of people. Faculty colleagues are invited to explore the use of servant teaching and its potential for nursing education (Robinson 2009). In relation to this, how can nursing leaders and professors lead in producing better nurses or what leadership style would be most effective to shape master’s students as the current learning scholars? How can nurses find meaning in their work through authentic leadership?
    Reference:
    Shirey, M. (2006). Authentic Leaders Creating Healthy Work Environments for Nursing Practice. American Journal of Critical Care. 2006;15: pages 256-267. Retrieved from http://ajcc.aacnjournals.org/content/15/3/256.short

    Shirey, M. (2009). Authentic Leadership, Organizational Culture, and Healthy Work Environments. Critical Care Nursing Quarterly. 2009; volume 32. issue 3, pages 189-198. Retrieved from http://journals.lww.com/ccnq/Abstract/2009/07000/Authentic_Leadership,_Organizational_Culture,_and.3.aspx
    Wong, C. & Cummings, G. (2009). The influence of authentic leadership behaviors on trust and work outcomes of health care staff. Journal of Leadership Studies. 2009; volume 3, issue 2, pages 6–23. Retrieved from http://onlinelibrary.wiley.com/doi/10.1002/jls.20104/abstract
    Robinson, F. (2009). Servant Teaching: The Power and Promise for Nursing Education. International Journal of Nursing Education Scholarship. 2009; volume 6. issue 1. Article 5. Retrieved from http://www.bepress.com/ijnes/vol6/iss1/art5/
    avatar
    TheConchitinaLluch

    Posts : 19
    Join date : 2011-07-14
    Age : 28
    Location : Mandaluyong

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  TheConchitinaLluch on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 8:00 pm

    HI GROUP 3. We just posted our group discussion paper. Please feel free to comment and answer the guide questions. It's entitled ALT ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION GROUP 1. THANKS A LOT

    rachel

    Posts : 8
    Join date : 2011-07-15

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  rachel on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 9:23 pm


    I agree with Gia. The ability to observe one’s behavior, to be aware of one’s own actions, and to appreciate one’s thoughts, feelings and emotions, is now understood to be essential as a foundation for exceptional leadership. Leaders, who are self-aware, understand how their environment affects them and how they affect their environments. They know what affects them positively and negatively and how that impacts on their job performance.

    elenor

    Posts : 4
    Join date : 2011-07-14

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  elenor on Sun 17 Jul 2011, 11:35 pm

    Ladkin, D. & Taylor, S(2010) argued that authentic leadership was not only about being true to self, but also that true self should be enacted also.

    Is it possible that one can be very self aware but cannot acted it out?

    How does the leading capability of a nurse manager or a leader be affected if he/she is already true to his/herself but not acting it out?


    Reference:
    Ladkin, D. & Taylor, S. (2010). Eneacting the true self Toward a theory of embodied authentic leadership. The leadership Quarterly, 21(1) p64-74.




    JB

    Posts : 2
    Join date : 2011-07-17

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  JB on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:26 am

    gia_anupol wrote:"Leadership is not exerting power over others or exhorting them to follow you. Rather, it results from your example of empowering others to step up and lead. Leaders do that by learning to lead themselves, becoming self-aware and behaving authentically."- Bill George

    Self Awareness is having a clear perception of your personality, including strengths, weaknesses, thoughts, beliefs, motivation, and emotions. Self Awareness allows you to understand other people, how they perceive you, your attitude and your responses to them in the moment. This is very essential in becoming an effective leader for how will one lead if he/she doesn't even know his/her own self.

    Authentic leadership may be one of the best styles of leadership because it not only focuses on the people being led on but on enhancing the potential of one person to serve other people. This is most applicable to nurses who are rendering care.



    I agree with Gia on the notion that leadership is to influence its followers rather than exhorting them to follow you. However, it is easier said than done. Wong's criteria for authentic leaders seems to be unrealistic. I think to possess those qualities, one must go through a certain set of experience and circumstance for you to be shaped to be a authentic leader and thus this is not applicable to all. It's been said that an authentic leadership needs to have a high sense of self awareness and I think for a person to gain that is for the person to realize and acquire it within himself because it cannot necessarily be taught. For a person to possess those qualities needs the right experience, innate attributes and right guidance to be an effective leader. Also, an effective leadership must produce results to gauge that its members really follow and an example of which is empowerment from its members.

    Alwynne

    Posts : 7
    Join date : 2011-07-16

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  Alwynne on Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:09 am

    I agree with your group with the idea that leaders are not supposed to intimidate their followers as this affects primarily their work outcome. Also, the focus on the moral or ethical perspective in leadership; our group appreciates the ethical perspective of leadership as well. Ethics gives direction to our actions without it we will be random and aimless.
    I however, disagree that authentic leadership can be applied between the nurse and the patient. The nurses shouldn’t be the ones deciding for patients. Patients need empowerment therefore instead of a leader they need a partner.

    Very Happy

    Sponsored content

    Re: authentic leadership

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed 12 Dec 2018, 11:40 am