E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

Reflective Paper 1

Admin
    Admin

Reflective Paper 1

Post  Admin on Mon 11 Aug 2008, 10:10 pm

Dear Students,

Write a short (500 words) reflection of the discussion on Curriculum, Instruction and Learner-Centered Principles.

Please reply to this thread to create a meaningful discussion on the subject matter. DO NOT MAKE ANOTHER THREAD...just hit reply. You are encouraged to post your reaction to each others' work.

Good luck! Happy learning.

Jesson

gary.orosa

Gary Orosa - Reflective Paper

Post  gary.orosa on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 4:11 pm

As a product of the long established method of learning by traditional lectures, I was taken aback by the other instructional design methods especially on the learner-centered approach as this is something new to me. Although the learner centered approach seems quite innovative to me, the educator has the additional burden of knowing the individual learning qualities, capacities and capabilities of each and every student and a thorough assessment must be performed before starting anything. As discussed each student is different with their own views and outlook on things so with a big classroom population for example, I am not sure how it can be applicable as the educator has to tailor-fit the design to suit each and every student if the target is on individualized learner centered approach, especially if time constraints are present. I believe it may be applicable for small classroom populations, a maximum of 20 at the most. A cohesive class population is also an advantage as if the class is in unison, it will be to its advantage in helping or guiding one another for example by assisting one learner in his weaknesses while sharing the strengths of another learner to the population. Therefore team building exercises must also be encouraged. But overall, it seems innovative for me as the educator merely guides, bolsters and encourages the student in learning and promotes independence and autonomy to a certain extent but good motivational skills will be a challenge that the educator has to have in order to fulfil his objective.

Indeed with curriculum development, objectives have to be defined but resources also need to be assessed if these will be feasible or enough to attain the desired objectives. However outstanding the framework one creates for the institution’s curriculum, if the resources or funds are unavailable, these may all just be a useless exertion especially if the developer does not get the support of the institution’s higher-ups or the higher officials have different objectives, such as increasing the number of enrolees without any beneficial increase in the quality of education. However the resourcefulness and creativity of the curriculum developer will be an advantage though.

With regards to reporting for example in our statistics subject, indeed if the learner will be asked to report, he will be able to learn somewhat on the subject matter especially if one of the listeners or students present will be able to correct any inaccuracies but only if the listeners are knowledgeable on the subject. But from our experience, it is a situation of the blind leading the blind as no one was familiar with the topics and during our evaluation tests, even the reporter who handled the topic does not know how to answer the questions. How can the listeners therefore answer the evaluations questions if the reporters themselves also cannot find the logical answers?

Discovering the covert objectives of each and every learning institution will be extremely challenging as the learner has to be with the school for a considerable amount of time in order to determine the covert learning objectives.

What I can share with is how overwhelming the method of learning I found UERM to be. Upon entering and starting this masteral class at UERM, I was astounded on the differences between UERM and Dr. Carlos Lanting Colleges my nursing school. Apparently in UERM, we do not have the luxury of sleep or going to work. Deadlines have to be met, and even when I had to travel overseas a week ago, somehow my mind was not on the tours, the sights, the shopping or the food. At the back of my mind, it seemed that I had the duty and obligation to always go online nightly at least until the wee hours of the morning (my other classmates can attest to that) and find out what is going on, what deadlines have to be met, or what requirements need to be submitted. Indeed a powerful culture shock that still keeps me up and about until now.

The method of teaching at Dr. Carlos Lanting Colleges on the other hand was tailor fit for second coursers so you can finish nursing there in 2 years in a fast track mode. Lecture classes are at an average of about twice a week and the style is in a laid back atmosphere with the luxury of relaxation as well as the flexibility of the student to still continue working in his profession while studying nursing. The lectures are basically by spoon feeding in the sense that everything you need to know is lectured in review center-like format. The concepts of a certain subject are discussed in variations of 4, 8, 16, 24 to a maximum of 40 hours compressed. For example the whole topic of Psychiatric Nursing will be discussed 8 hours straight for around 5 sessions not necessarily in succession and after the lectures you are expected to know everything by then. After that exams are given and always in multiple choice format. Apparently, the most important technique I learned from the school is how to answer and pass board exams and NCLEX exam questions correctly even if the concepts you learned are not entirely ripe. In other words, what was learned was 40% concept while 60% was test taking skills and how to exploit the weaknesses of multiple choice/board exam questions in order to find the correct answer. Obviously each and every student is different and some will be able to learn the concepts of nursing or master these techniques and test taking skills better than others but from what I have observed most of the students in reality have only been able to get the concepts through review centers. Admittedly, duties for related learning experiences and attendance are strictly enforced. But it seems the method of teaching and their covert objective is just for the student to pass the boards and that’s it.

Finally as a side note and as an alumni of the Green Hills campus, I pose my strongest objection and take offense that La Sallites are less gentlemanly when compared to Ateneans. We have always been imbibed and have absorbed into our system Christian ideals and values as well as the characteristics of being Christian gentlemen along with the motto of Religio, Mores Cultura and should never be labelled as lesser of a gentleman when compared to an Atenean. It therefore depends on how one defines a person as being a gentleman. To quote part of our mission statement:

Christian gentlemen. Man of compassion who lives out the core gospel values of truth, freedom, love, and justice. He is a well-rounded person spiritually, socially, intellectually, aesthetically, and physically and is committed to the service of the poor.

As a testament of how fiercely proud we are of our heritage and upbringing and to validate Prof. Butcon’s statement that La Sallites and all the alumni continue to maintain their die hard loyalty and undying allegiance to the school even after several years or even from the different parts of the world, visit the links below:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q6fB-Q8mKJU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vyrX9gqYivU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meqzARnhn38

Admin
    Admin

Re: Reflective Paper 1

Post  Admin on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 6:20 pm

Dear Garry,

The learner centered approach works on the assumption that teachers and students are in an environment that promotes collaboration. Where teachers are seen a guide and not merely as evaluator or scrutinizer. It is more work demanding on the part of the teacher because the teacher has to prepare in terms of designs and delivery. Thus, it is both appropriate for both small and big group. It is in the design and structure more than the content.

I agree with your emotional reaction about being a gentleman...indeed we are equally CHRISTIAN GENTLEMEN.

Jesson

gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 7:44 pm

Sir Jesson,

I therefore stand corrected on the classroom population size. But as with any other instructional design, the bigger the class population size, the more challenging it will be on the part of the educator and the learning centered approach is no exception to this rule. The learning centered approach will in fact be more demanding on the part of the educator as he has to maximize his creativity in stimulating learning on the part of the student. Indeed a worthwhile endeavour even before the objectives are achieved.

I hope you enjoyed the you tube links I posted. I do however apologize if they may seem irrelevant on the topics being discussed but I just couldn’t resist not sharing these not only for entertainment but also to validate your statement on the staunch loyalty of the La Sallite to the institution and to share with everyone how we see it from our point of view. But the reality is even up to now, whenever I watch these videos, all the hairs of my body still seem to stand at attention, having been molded by the school since my childhood.

Cheers!

Respectfully yours,

Gary Orosa

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 7:58 pm

Dear Garry,

I will try to show you some examples in our next class.

Jesson

Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 8:08 pm

With last night’s discussion relating to the underlying concepts of Curriculum, Instruction and Learner-Centered Principles, I have been overwhelmed by the challenge of what encompass the entire subject matter. Teaching and Staff training is indeed a continuous process which involves paired existence of professional learning and growth. The challenge of creatively constructing a method that will suit every personality or intelligence of a student is a painstaking but fulfilling role on the part of the instructor if each of the students’ need is met. The learner-centered approach is a very capable scheme in teaching. Its principles really focus and help students learn by themselves with the guidance of their instructor and along the process, independence blossoms.

I for my personal experience as a student have also been taught the traditional way, cannot guarantee myself that I have absorbed most of the topics that have been taught to us. And I must say that this is the dare to educators to device a method that will help students enjoy not become bored as they are learning. Inclusion of lively drills, games, humor, technology and multi-dimensional teaching principles into instructor’s methods of instruction could be a great tool especially today, where the door to contemporary world of learning is through capturing student’s interests and attending to their needs in the most knowledgeable way.

The surprise of enrolling in a masteral program is learning with eagerness and self motivation. Being used to spoon feeding type of learning has placed a negative habit of dependence on the teacher but now, the challenge for me as I am in this course will be of great help to improve myself learn and grow professionally. The knowledge of this course will surely be a great vehicle for educational improvement that sooner or later we will use when we are educators, administrators, and trainers as well.

Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 8:45 pm

The discussion on Curriculum, Instruction and Learner-Centered Principles last night made me realize that developing a curriculum for students is very much like preparing yourself for your own future. Henry David Thoreau said “Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing that it is not the fish they’re after.” When I decided to enroll at the Master’s degree program here at UERM, I must say I have no idea what I am going in to. To start with, most of my classmates are already professionals and being the youngest in the group, this made me feel a little overwhelmed at first. I was able to prove that learners have distinctive perspectives during our sharing before the class officially started. I learned that almost all of them, or shall I say, all of them already have particular motives for going to Graduate School. Some wanted to be clinical instructors and be able to teach already, others need the degree as a requirement for their current jobs while the rest wishes for a better career in the future hence, their desire to take and finish the program. As for me, I had no specific reason in mind at that time. All I know is that I am here because I admit that I am still a neophyte in this profession and I need whatever it is that I am about to discover and learn from the program.

If there is one lesson discussed by Sir Butcon that really made impact to me last night, it was the stages of Curriculum Development specifically the first stage which is the diagnosis of needs. Just like a teacher who makes his or her lesson plan depending on the needs of his or her students, I pondered on my own “need” as of this moment. This made me seriously reflect and realize that the need I am talking about is my personal need to learn. Yes, I just really want to learn. I prefer to call myself a learner than a student in this whole process. I believe that Nursing is not just a profession; it is more of a vocation. For that reason, it is critical for nurses to be equipped with a body of knowledge essential for professional practice. I must say then that I entered this course simply because I wish to learn more not just from what my professors will offer me but most especially from what my classmates can share. And hopefully all the lessons, both the scholarly and the practical lessons I am about to learn from this experience will allow me to help the newly graduate nurses in the future.

Furthermore, we mentioned also that learners have unique differences. Some are excellent in speaking, while others stand out more in writing. Even as a grade school student, I am already conscious that some of my classmates are blessed with the ability to draw. While others can sing really well. Ten years later I had to face the truth – I still couldn't do either of those things. But this is the beauty of the Learner-centered approach; it takes into consideration that every learner is different from the other. What works perfectly for one may not be so for another. It is therefore important to seek the learners' feedback from time to time. Though there are many strategies a teacher can use to achieve his or her teaching goals, I believe that what is most important is that the learners must feel comfortable with the teaching methodology the teacher adopts. Though it is truthfully important that a teacher is able to stimulate his or her students' interest in the subject, or equip them with the skills for their lifelong learning or hone their critical thinking and communication skills to ensure that they can stand on their own feet when they enter the “real” world, it is the capacity of the teacher to appreciate the uniqueness and individuality of each of his or her students that truly makes him or her a great educator for me.

It is also said that learning occurs best when it occurs in a positive environment conducive for learning and if learning is deemed relevant by the learners as well. Though an air-conditioned lecture room with comfortable seats and state-of-the-art audiovisual facilities will impress the learners, these will not be adequate to hold their attention after some time. Studies have shown that the most learners' minds start to stray after 15-20 minutes. As such personal touch, humor or breaks in between discussion can go a long way in engaging the learners more. Also if I may say so, learners like me feel happy when our teachers remember our names. Similarly, teachers are happy when the students remember their names even after they have graduated. It is therefore important to make it a point that a teacher puts his or her self in the learners’ shoes when he or she develops a curriculum or designs a teaching material.

Lastly, I believe that interest and motivation are two important components of learning. An effective way of stimulating the learners’ interest in the subject is to help them see the subject's relevance to the real world by using real life examples for illustrations. Motivation is as important as interest in the learning process. Thus, it is helpful if learners are encouraged to ask questions and be praised for their contributions as well. I agree with the statement I have read from an article a long time ago which says that one of the 'fatal' mistakes a teacher can possibly commit is to make students feel stupid and worthless. Truly, no learner should feel inferior especially in the presence of his or her teacher.

luder

Post  luder on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 8:54 pm

My mother is a public school teacher and has been so longer than my existence. I also want to teach. I’ve always thought that I have the inclination even before I finished college. I found that I have the patience and probably enough resources to pull it off. I may probably even be a good teacher, by my standards that is. I’ve learned some techniques from my previous professors that seem to be effective teaching tools.

But after last night’s discussion, I’m at a loss. I began to start questioning my qualifications and my ability to teach effectively. Its one thing to teach a student how to read, write and count. It’s another thing to teach a student how to take care of a sick person, or maybe even save another life. After I graduated from nursing school, I wanted to go back and teach. But now, it’s not about what I wanted to do anymore, its all about what I can really give the students.

It was mentioned that educators are responsible for the development of a student’s personhood. As they teach, they also impart values to the students. This is such a heavy task. Can I do this? Am I qualified? Personhood… it almost equates to raising a child. A teacher as a second parent, that’s something to really consider. It’s very scary…

Then I realized, as a future nurse educator, I won’t be handling a bunch of kids. At best, I’ll be handling inexperienced young adults. It may be safe to assume that they already have a working personality that I don’t have to worry about ruining or damaging. It’s just an assumption. I may be wrong. So there is still a risk. And this risk is not limited only to the students I’ll be handling. They will be future nurses, so the threat will reach their future patients.

Again I ask myself, can I live with the fact that maybe someday one of my nursing students will do something stupid and jeopardize a patient because at some point I made a mistake in the way I taught this person? This is my concern. Wanting so much to be an effective teacher, I may as well just step aside and let the real pros do it. I wouldn’t want to stand in the way of real education.

Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:00 pm

It was a meaningful discussion and as the clock ticks last night while inside the AV Room I was even more convinced to take my chances into the academe. What caught my attention first was the curriculum design. It was made clear to me that the curriculum must be in a form where it can be communicated to those associated with the learning institution. Thus, I think it must also be open for critiques and should be able to be readily transformed into practice. For us to come up with a well-built curriculum; it must be responsive to changing values and expectations in education if it is to remain useful.

I must admit that it was only last night wherein I encountered the terminologies overt and covert curriculum. I presume that I understood its focus clearly since I reinforced my knowledge by reading more about it when I got home. Most of the time was allotted in discussing the learner- centered approach wherein the teacher plays a role of a facilitator. I was able to muse over my college days, which were only last year at CEU Mendiola. Our clinical instructors and lecturers have different approach and teaching styles back then. Now after our discussion last night, I can clearly pinpoint who among of them used this approach because it is from them that I know I’ve learned a lot. I experienced being an undergrad student and hopefully will soon join the academe workforce. Without a doubt, I will utilize LC approach to provide opportunities for my incoming students to construct and be accountable for their own learning, given the fact that I am there to point the way towards useful resources and ask thought provoking questions. I believe that an ideal teacher should apply LC approach to learn with the students and make them feel that teachers are their partners in the learning process.

I’m pretty sure that exercising LC approach will provide an admirable guide for restructuring the universities nowadays. A college who will embrace and implement this approach focuses on their learners’ growth rather than just mere lecturing the subject matter for the sake of passing. It will be a great challenge for anyone who will teach or handle a group to use this approach since time constraints might interfere.

Furthermore, the subject Instructional Design will improve a masteral program graduate of UERM in terms of handling a group may it be in classrooms, trainings or clinical area.

Last edited by Kriselda Manzano on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:14 pm; edited 1 time in total

Josh

Post  Josh on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:09 pm

A Reflection

The search for the ultimate teaching and evaluation methods ends after the introduction of instructional design course curriculum presented last night by Professor Jesson V. Butcon.

The course addressed the distinct characteristics of the learners and outlined a holistic approach in dealing with the different factors that affect the learning capability of each learner.

The Behavioral-scientific approach is a very useful method in focusing on the needs of a learner/s and will discard the voluminous requirements offered by the orthodox educational system.
    This approach also considers the fast-phase and ever-changing environment that greatly affect the learning capabilities of the learners. It adapts to the previous effective method and instructional materials and modified the system that will currently address the educational needs of the learners. This is done by providing learning exercises and experiences with an evaluation tool to test the feasibility of the instructional method.

Furthermore, I also uphold the Socratic Method or the currently known as Constructivist approach. I am a proponent of this method as I adhere to the idea that “no one has the monopoly of knowledge.” This method stimulates the thirst of knowledge of every individual and promotes autonomy in acquiring knowledge.

Thus, I was really delighted with the Instructional course outline and very excited to learn more about the principles and scientific it employs to come up with a need-based instructional design.

Submitted By:
    Joshua G. Maquiling

silva731

reflection

Post  silva731 on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:23 pm

Joel S. Silva
    EXEC 3

Reflection on last Monday’s discussion

The first discussion we had was really inspiring, because iam an educator for almost four years and I really learned concepts that could help me become a better teacher. What caught my attention the most is when we had a brief discussion about the learner centered principles, especially the one with the pyramid which dicusses about the learner percentages. It really moved me to apply this concepts to my class and see how effective it will be. The discussion yesterday really made me excited to attend the next class because I really feel that the topics that we will be discussing will really help me improve teaching my students, making them learn more and be better than their teacher in the long run.

I am also inspired by what my professor had said that we cannot change the world but we can make a difference in our own ways. I really do agree with what he had said because ive been trying to do that since I worked as a lecturer to different unviversities and colleges. All I wanted as an educator is not only to gain experience Or for the monetary gain, all I really wanted is to inspire young minds, motivate them to make the difference on their own way as students.

Iam really hoping to learn more on this subject and it really caught my attention because all that I will be learning will be immediately apllied in my profession. Hope that the materials that we will be getting today would really be great and will aid me on how to better teach my students and will help me discover more about myself as an educator.

Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:26 pm

Last night, I wasn’t quite sure if I’m gonna continue instructional design as part of my subjects. Honestly, I feel kind of exhausted from rushing and trying to finish chapter one of my research in a span of two days. But the discussion went very well last night. New learnings were made. I thought instructional design is something that has to do our research too, but my thought was corrected when we started discussing about curriculum designing, teaching and learning approach.

In the lecture, the topic that got me really interested is the learner-centered approach. Although I have a general idea that teachings and learning should be student-focused, I was astounded that a learner-centered approach actually exist. It might seem a bit challenging to the educator to use this approach, for he has to assess each individual learners’ capabilities, background, needs, interests and the rest. He has to know beforehand what kind of learners he has, and what are their perspectives based from their personal backgrounds and experiences. The saying “one teaching style fits all” may not be applicable in this kind of approach at all. An essential factor for a learner-centered approach is placing the learning characteristics of all learners under the microscope with specific emphasis on low-performing learners.

I’ve always wanted to teach, but I didn’t know if I have the capability to do so back then. But upon learning and hearing the different kinds of approach, I think I have to think twice before doing so. I don’t know if I have the “skill” to be an educator of different learners, each with unique everything.

As a student in my undergraduate school, I am not that confident about the lessons I have learned. We were taught in an “old-fashioned” way.”Memorize this, memorize that”, “this may be in the quiz tomorrow”, “put this in your mind” were all we ever hear from our professors. The teaching method used made me think that we were in military, comply with all these things because it is mandatory. Frankly, as a student, I thought learning can never be fun. But I was stand corrected with last night’s discussion, and was actually inspired and challenged to be in teaching profession.

luder

Post  luder on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:28 pm

Like sir gary, i am also a second courser. I came from UST. All my life, thomasian education. except for my nursing degree. i can also attest to the difference of both curriculum and the delivery of instructions.

But whats more note worthy is the hidden curriculum. A clinical instructor once asked me and my duty mates what our school's vision and mission was. we didn't know. when we came back to our school. we couldn't find anybody who could give us that information.
    then we thought, "so what!?" after last night's discussion i realized that we didn't even care back then about our school. we just wanted to be done with our nursing studies and then off to a foreign land.

When i go to SACI (formerly UDMC Colleges), i expect that i'll be somehow frustrated about something when i leave. In contrast, to this day, i still carry the same values i had from UST elementary. i still go back there and just live all of my 15 years all over again in a few minutes.

As for my Masteral education in UERMMMC, i still yet have to learn to love it. i have to admit though, when UERMMC topped the PNLE, i was proud and thought to myself, "Looks like i came to the right place!"

The love and pride that a school can give to a student is sometimes more valueable than the education gained. sometimes...

evancarlo

Curriculum Design and Learner Centered App

Post  evancarlo on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:43 pm

August 11, 2008, a very exhausting day but very fulfilling. At the end of the day, I was able to learn new things again, regarding learner centered principle and the designs that run the school with their own curriculum. It's a nice gathering of knowledge wherein you can understand things that you never thought of knowing and even bother thinking that you may know that information that it never interest you the most. As they say, knowledge is dynamic and the only constant in this world is change.

From the discussion made by Mr. Butcon, One of the points he mentioned and for me to further reflect on it is "IMAGE". As one school, a student should live with it's school's image. When you look at a person, you can definitely tell what his/her brands. It's living up to what your school is made of, and we should be proud of it. Though in some instances - it may not show at all, but still you carry the pride of your school.
    Fulfilling the school's mission and it's vision. To be able to achieve this, change is needed, take for example UERMMMC. It's a small school that slowly growing in it's population, from it’s mission, to be the BEST among it's peers, though they lack manpower in terms of faculty members, still they managed to uphold the quality of a nurse to be competitive globally. As seen in the local board exam - UERM is no.1 batch of 2008.

Indeed, UERM is the best among its peers. I’m very proud of my alumnus. I would like to share to you the recent experience I had. I just trained for Basic Skills Training in Lung Center of the Philippines for 3 months while working in call center. It’s a bit tough ‘coz of the schedule and requirements like exam and return demonstrations. As I go through the training, I have with me the pride of being a graduate of UERM. I feel that I if you carry the name of UERM, it will make a difference. Which is YES, it made a difference. It’s so motivating that you can show your skills to other schools that in UERM it supposed to be this way that we are very competitive and that we deliver the quality nursing care. All my hardships were rewarded after the training, even though I perceive that I won’t make it to top ten, but thanks to the lord above, I’m ranked 6. From this experience, I carried the pride or UERM and shown to them what I am made of as a nurse that all of the skills and attitude to be a gentleman in culture were thought to me by my beloved school, UERM.

If you are going to look at the other side, why UERM is still no. 1? You have to look for their framework or the design of their curriculum. It's what we can call the backbone of every school and university. This is what i have learn from the discussion yesterday, not only by looking at the results of each school's performances but to look into what they are made of before and until now by upholding and delivering the quality of nursing care from it's curriculum design.

Indeed, it takes years to hone the design/framework and make some revisions for it to be successful. Not only will the school benefit from it but also the students. Based from the system managed design, there’s the input and the output. But we can never tell the output just by seeing the input. We must take into consideration factors that affect these variables. One of the key points in Learner Centered Approach is building a conducive environment for the learners to learn new things. It will be promoting collaboration with their professors and will enhance the student’s motivation and the desire to adapt and learn new information.

Curriculum Design as I may say is the hardest part upon establishing an organization or a university. You have to take into consideration the needs to look into, the resources that you have and utilizing it in a way that both parties can benefit from it. Clearly defining the objectives is I can say the vital part of curriculum design.

To be able to learn more is having the desire to learn new things and sharing it with others. One cannot learn without sharing your knowledge with others. Just by conversing to others, we are able to learn new things.

These are the points that made my desire to learn more things and to share this with others and especially to my students before. That learning is fun if you have the motivation to learn.

gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:43 pm

you are correct luder. until now i am still in shock and awe on what i have gotten myself into in enrolling the masteral course. ang hirap pala! still in the culture shock phase that hopefully we can get out of and conquer...

Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:45 pm

Luder,

After reading your reflection it came to my senses that I should also think twice or even thrice before fulfilling my desire, to be in the academe. I am only 22 and have been working as a staff nurse for 9 months. Before enrolling in the masteral program in UERM I feel that I am ready to teach, however after listening to Sir Butcon last night. I realized that I need to polish my attitude, learn more about instructional designing and prepare myself in using an effective method in teaching.
    Moreover, I am challenged by the idea that I need to develop myself more, to be an efficient educator.

Josh

Post  Josh on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:46 pm

Sir, I would just like to ask, whether the learner-centerd approach and the principles underlying instructional design poses greater chances of acceptability in Philippine education setting? And if so, how far are we as to the applicability/ feasibility of the instructional methods if are now currently employed in some universities in the Philippines?

luder

Post  luder on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:48 pm

I would like to reflect on my first reflection, if I may. It seems that I was so negative. I hope you don't get me wrong. Like all of you, I too was inspired by last night’s discussion. Aside from all the bickering in my first reflection, I also realized how beautiful and meaningful teaching can be. As I said it’s just short of raising the students as your own children.

I don’t mean to kiss ass… but the way sir butcon talked about teaching last night… You can see it in his eyes that THIS! is where he wants to be, THIS! is what he wants to do. I was really taken by the discussion. Then I thought, what would happen if all of the teachers we had were like this? My hat’s off to you sir! You’re doing a very good job!

Mark my words guys… I will become a nurse educator!!!

Josh

Post  Josh on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:53 pm

Hi kriselda,

As a novice Instructor in UERM, acceptance of being still inequipped with teaching skills is already a good sign that you will become a good educator. Intellectual humility opens rooms for growth and development. i do believe that we have all the skills to teach and what we need to do is to practice it.

patmarban

Post  patmarban on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:56 pm

More knowledge, more exciting
    A lot to know about teaching
    My cup of knowledge is overflowing
    All these need implementing!

To put my feelings into writing, I wrote the verse above. The thought of having so many options and tools to use in teaching simply overwhelmed me with excitement! Having taught for barely 2 months, it has been my passion to instill knowledge and learning to my students. I even went through a few researches about techniques and tools in teaching the moment my teaching load was given to me. Yet, having attended the lecture last night simply made me feel “lacking but having more.”

Upon hearing the lecturer last night, I felt lacking in terms of instructional design; to put it more blatantly, I felt so novice and naïve in the teaching field. During my 2 months of teaching Human Anatomy and Physiology to Nursing students, I already had some feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. I assessed the learning styles of my students and implemented several kinds of tools, including movies on gross dissection, small group discussions, lectures, reporting, demonstrations, and concept mapping. Yet, Sir Butcon’s presentation last night showed me a vast number of techniques and tools available for use in teaching. With that, I felt so naïve with having used just a few for the past 2 months.

On the other hand, I felt that I have something more after I have listened to last night’s presentation. I became more interested than before in teaching, knowing that I will be able to have an education expert’s guidance in curriculum and instruction principles. Before, I only saw curriculum development as the job of higher administrators, yet here I am starting to learn about developing a curriculum. Having very high goals in life, I thought I can use this when I finally run a system in the future! Also, I was able to appreciate better the fact that having curriculum and instruction knowledge will make me a better critic and leader in the future.

Having both Jesuit and Lasallian formation, I really felt inclined to learner-centered principles. Now I realize what my previous teachers and professors have been doing; they have been varying their teaching techniques. Because of that, I became very interested to do the same to my students. Indeed, the instructional design overview last night gave me positive mixed feelings and eagerness to teach!

Josh

Post  Josh on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 9:58 pm

Hi luder,

As a father of four, learner-centered and behavioral-scientific approach is perfect for me to be able to provide equal treatment to each unique characteristics of my children. I am sharing this to you to emphasize your point that part of what we learned last night was just like raising children.

i do believe you will be a good nurse educator.

gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:00 pm

luder,

indeed prof butcon is a very effective educator. extremely toxic to the point that we sometimes feel inadequate and have thoughts of quitting sometimes due to coping difficulties but highly effective...

luder

Post  luder on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:02 pm

evan, unlike you, i have a bit of apprehension when attending activities where i seem to have to represent my school. Whenever i tell people what school i came from. they always ask me, "san un?" i don't have the luxury of lifting my head up and shout at the top of my voice, " i came from a top nursing school!"

it is sometimes a buren that even after passing the board exam, i still have to carry my school's name. now i'm thinking, i shoul've just waited 1 yrear! then i could've been accepted in UST Coll of Nursing! but no.... i had no time to wait! i'll settle for this school instead.

With this said, is it hipocritical of me when i say that i want to teach in SACI? i want to make a difference there. i want to take everything i'll learn in UERMMC and do what i can so that i may lessen the number of frustrated graduates.

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:03 pm

Glad to hear that you are "positively" challenged!

Jesson
    Cristina Mariano wrote:With last night’s discussion relating to the underlying concepts of Curriculum, Instruction and Learner-Centered Principles, I have been overwhelmed by the challenge of what encompass the entire subject matter. Teaching and Staff training is indeed a continuous process which involves paired existence of professional learning and growth. The challenge of creatively constructing a method that will suit every personality or intelligence of a student is a painstaking but fulfilling role on the part of the instructor if each of the students’ need is met. The learner-centered approach is a very capable scheme in teaching. Its principles really focus and help students learn by themselves with the guidance of their instructor and along the process, independence blossoms.

I for my personal experience as a student have also been taught the traditional way, cannot guarantee myself that I have absorbed most of the topics that have been taught to us. And I must say that this is the dare to educators to device a method that will help students enjoy not become bored as they are learning. Inclusion of lively drills, games, humor, technology and multi-dimensional teaching principles into instructor’s methods of instruction could be a great tool especially today, where the door to contemporary world of learning is through capturing student’s interests and attending to their needs in the most knowledgeable way.

The surprise of enrolling in a masteral program is learning with eagerness and self motivation. Being used to spoon feeding type of learning has placed a negative habit of dependence on the teacher but now, the challenge for me as I am in this course will be of great help to improve myself learn and grow professionally. The knowledge of this course will surely be a great vehicle for educational improvement that sooner or later we will use when we are educators, administrators, and trainers as well.

Josh

Post  Josh on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:05 pm

[quote="patmarban"][center]More knowledge, more exciting
    A lot to know about teaching
    My cup of knowledge is overflowing
    All these need implementing![/center

the verse above struck me most. what we have learned last night poses a great challenge to everyone and implementing what we learne and what we are going to learn bears the greatest burden. Maybe, it will be effective if we can both practice it while we are learning the skills.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Jan 2019, 12:30 am