UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+10
evancarlo
Kriselda Anne Moreno
silva731
Josh
Kriselda Manzano
luder
Divinia Joy Tuzon
Cristina Mariano
gary.orosa
Admin
14 posters

Reflective Paper 1

Kriselda Anne Moreno

Reflective Paper 1 - Page 3 Empty Re: Reflective Paper 1

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:53 pm

Kriselda Manzano, (same name! Smile)

I wasn't a very good student back then. Kaya kahit na hindi ako nag-enjoy sa boring, and exhauting lecture, I won't read about the topic discussed like you. I just have this thought etched in my mind that i someone said "Bakit hindi mo alam yan?", I would say "Hindi po tinuro samin." Me and my classmates always use that line. Yun pala, talagang nasa "job descriptions" din nating students to read, read, and read. It is not the teacher's job to teach EVERYTHING, from cover to cover. We have our own responsibilities. After college, I was inspired to study more by the lecturers of review center. Kasi sa kanila lang ako actually nag-enjoy mag-aral.
    ianenguerra

Post  ianenguerra Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:55 pm

Maybe at first my forte was neither in academe nor education but in the later part of the discussion I realize that you don’t need to be an educator to learn these things what we call on instructional design. As I learned from Mr. Butcon everything in this world needs strategic plan to be able to succeed. Plans are guided with the objectives to achieve specific goals. As a nurse practitioner I think I need to build a specific design that helps me to reach my goals. It will help me also to encourage my colleagues to have their own way how to plan their own career in the future.

As mentioned in our discussion Mr. Butcon describes each learner about their differences in each other. Each person preferentially takes in and process information in different ways: by seeing and hearing, reflecting and acting, reasoning logically and intuitively, analyzing and visualizing, steadily and in fits and starts. I can say that I am more on visual person. I need to see it first before I can execute it properly. I think visualization is more powerful instrument in teaching as in my case it is easily understand. It may vary in every person what kind of teaching he likes to be able for him to motivate to learn effectively.

In the end, it will rely on the learner if he is ready to absorb this entire thing in his mind. Area of interest also one of the factor to motivate him to learn.

Last edited by ianenguerra on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    patmarban

Post  patmarban Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:55 pm

Indeed, no one has the monopoly of knowledge. Having this in mind, we are enrolled here at the graduate school to gather more and more knowledge so that, as educators, we may contribute to the body of knowledge.

Josh wrote:A Reflection

The search for the ultimate teaching and evaluation methods ends after the introduction of instructional design course curriculum presented last night by Professor Jesson V. Butcon.

The course addressed the distinct characteristics of the learners and outlined a holistic approach in dealing with the different factors that affect the learning capability of each learner.

The Behavioral-scientific approach is a very useful method in focusing on the needs of a learner/s and will discard the voluminous requirements offered by the orthodox educational system.
    This approach also considers the fast-phase and ever-changing environment that greatly affect the learning capabilities of the learners. It adapts to the previous effective method and instructional materials and modified the system that will currently address the educational needs of the learners. This is done by providing learning exercises and experiences with an evaluation tool to test the feasibility of the instructional method.

Furthermore, I also uphold the Socratic Method or the currently known as Constructivist approach. I am a proponent of this method as I adhere to the idea that “no one has the monopoly of knowledge.” This method stimulates the thirst of knowledge of every individual and promotes autonomy in acquiring knowledge.

Thus, I was really delighted with the Instructional course outline and very excited to learn more about the principles and scientific it employs to come up with a need-based instructional design.

Submitted By:
    Joshua G. Maquiling
    yvette

Post  yvette Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:56 pm

Sir Luther, I think you should continue to believe what you have believed in, it takes a lot of courage to face one's fear but with your strong and persistent personality as I can sense, you will be a good educator. I think our enrolled subject in Mr. Butcon's class will greatly help in your pursuit. In our attempt to learn the subject, we have already discussed a lot which will help pave way for your concern.
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:58 pm

Same here! Still adjusting to the course, the deadlines, the rush, the sleepless nights. Hoping we could all finish the course in time. hehe!

Josh wrote:Same here sir gary and sir Luder. Until now i am adjusting to the new MSn program we had. i hope with the principles of intructional design i can mange to finish the course.
    sdlopez02

Post  sdlopez02 Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:58 pm

After our last night's discussion of the Learner-Centered Principles, i began to ponder about the methods of instruction that i'm utilizing at present in teaching my RLE students. i'm disturbed when students start to yawn during pre-confrences and group discussions. i am inspired whenever i see their faces light up with enthusiasm.

the learning pyramid is really an eye opener for me. i began to realize as a teacher, it is my responsibility to make use of the best methods that can produce the highest leraning absorption among my students.

students are reflections of their teachers, they said. i could feel self-fulfillment whenever i realized that my students are effectively taking in the knowledge that i have imparted to them.
    Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:00 pm

Tina,
    Like you, being an alumni from CEU makes me proud. The aims and objectives of our college made us a caring and compassionate nurses. And that is something we can really be proud of.

[quote="Cristina Mariano"]Kriselda,

I am also aware by now of what our previous professors' teaching style is..

Whether we learn or not much from them, the experience of them being our teachers made us distinctively relize how to be an effective one... Smile
    evancarlo

Post  evancarlo Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:01 pm

At first, the reason i enrolled in masters degree is ofr my personal interest and reaon only. i havent got any clue on what is the meaing of the title of MSN. after taking the 1st sem, its now i realized that my personal reason is just a lame reason at all. Now i fully understood based from sir butcons discussion before in tech writing and in instructional design the meaning of MSN - it is to contibute to the body of knowledge.

patmarban wrote:Indeed, no one has the monopoly of knowledge. Having this in mind, we are enrolled here at the graduate school to gather more and more knowledge so that, as educators, we may contribute to the body of knowledge.

Josh wrote:A Reflection

The search for the ultimate teaching and evaluation methods ends after the introduction of instructional design course curriculum presented last night by Professor Jesson V. Butcon.

The course addressed the distinct characteristics of the learners and outlined a holistic approach in dealing with the different factors that affect the learning capability of each learner.

The Behavioral-scientific approach is a very useful method in focusing on the needs of a learner/s and will discard the voluminous requirements offered by the orthodox educational system.
    This approach also considers the fast-phase and ever-changing environment that greatly affect the learning capabilities of the learners. It adapts to the previous effective method and instructional materials and modified the system that will currently address the educational needs of the learners. This is done by providing learning exercises and experiences with an evaluation tool to test the feasibility of the instructional method.

Furthermore, I also uphold the Socratic Method or the currently known as Constructivist approach. I am a proponent of this method as I adhere to the idea that “no one has the monopoly of knowledge.” This method stimulates the thirst of knowledge of every individual and promotes autonomy in acquiring knowledge.

Thus, I was really delighted with the Instructional course outline and very excited to learn more about the principles and scientific it employs to come up with a need-based instructional design.

Submitted By:
    Joshua G. Maquiling
    yvette

Post  yvette Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:03 pm

Sir Joshua, I agree with you with regards to the socratic method you cited since I myself in an advocate of his principles. Even those who are not in a democratic country, I think that everyone has the right to learn and improve himself, and eventually to make a difference in his society or to achieve his purpose of being.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:07 pm

I certainly agree Evan. The reason why most of us are hesitant at first is because of our inexperience especially in the cases of the newly graduate nurses like me. It is nice that we're able to aknowledge our flaws and our inexperience. As for me, I believe that the best thing we can do is to give our very best whatever it is that we are doing at present - whether as a staff nurse, a clinical instructor, an administrator and in our case, as MSN students.

[quote="evancarlo"]Every one of us are afraid at first coz we dont know yet are capabilities. by accepting the challenge that comes ahead, it is where we find our strength and courage. as sir patick said, we need to first accept.quote]
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:07 pm

Teaching others, apply it to other people. But like what Sir Gary said it's like "the blind teaching the blind". In nursing education, it may be detrimental.

evancarlo wrote:Every one of us are afraid at first coz we dont know yet are capabilities. by accepting the challenge that comes ahead, it is where we find our strength and courage. as sir patick said, we need to first accept.

Until now, im always taking each subject as a challenge. not primaraily excelling on it but for me to adapt and take new information and share it with others. as sir butcon said, in order for us to learn, we need to share it with others. we go on a process of adapting and learning new things and applying them.

By the knowledge that i gained last night, it adds up sloely to my maturity as a graduate student and to be more effective educator in the future.
    evancarlo

Post  evancarlo Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:07 pm

Guys, Stay on the positive side. we need to think positively and take the challenged in a postive manner. it is where we can achieved our personal goals and for us to contribute more to the body of knowledge.

I know that we will be fully honed by UERM and developed us as a great leader and an educator in the future. Thanks to our professors in continuing molding us to become them.
    ianenguerra

Post  ianenguerra Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:07 pm

as said by Ms. Tuzon " learning occurs best when it occurs in a positive environment conducive for learning." when you provide a positive environment to your learner it will help you and your learners to effectively digest all knowledge that you transmitted to them.
    Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:10 pm

Patrick,
    Thanks.. I must mention that educators should also use new technologies in presenting their lecture to get their students' attention and motivate them to read and learn more.

patmarban wrote:I agree that having these discussions about curriculum and instruction helped us pinpoint our previous teachers' styles. With these new realizations, we are also motivated to apply the techniques and be able to create effective ways to help others learn.

Kriselda Manzano wrote: Now after our discussion last night, I can clearly pinpoint who among of them used this approach because it is from them that I know I’ve learned a lot. I experienced being an undergrad student and hopefully will soon join the academe workforce. Without a doubt, I will utilize LC approach to provide opportunities for my incoming students to construct and be accountable for their own learning, given the fact that I am there to point the way towards useful resources and ask thought provoking questions. I believe that an ideal teacher should apply LC approach to learn with the students and make them feel that teachers are their partners in the learning process.

gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:12 pm

it's the blind leading the blind. in such a situation where do you expect to go but fall?

Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:Teaching others, apply it to other people. But like what Sir Gary said it's like "the blind teaching the blind". In nursing education, it may be detrimental.

evancarlo wrote:Every one of us are afraid at first coz we dont know yet are capabilities. by accepting the challenge that comes ahead, it is where we find our strength and courage. as sir patick said, we need to first accept.

Until now, im always taking each subject as a challenge. not primaraily excelling on it but for me to adapt and take new information and share it with others. as sir butcon said, in order for us to learn, we need to share it with others. we go on a process of adapting and learning new things and applying them.

By the knowledge that i gained last night, it adds up sloely to my maturity as a graduate student and to be more effective educator in the future.
    ianenguerra

Post  ianenguerra Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:15 pm

maybe that is the right thing that can do by our educators today. they must have alternative teaching strategy to make their students more participative

Kriselda Manzano wrote:Patrick,
    Thanks.. I must mention that educators should also use new technologies in presenting their lecture to get their students' attention and motivate them to read and learn more.

patmarban wrote:I agree that having these discussions about curriculum and instruction helped us pinpoint our previous teachers' styles. With these new realizations, we are also motivated to apply the techniques and be able to create effective ways to help others learn.

Kriselda Manzano wrote: Now after our discussion last night, I can clearly pinpoint who among of them used this approach because it is from them that I know I’ve learned a lot. I experienced being an undergrad student and hopefully will soon join the academe workforce. Without a doubt, I will utilize LC approach to provide opportunities for my incoming students to construct and be accountable for their own learning, given the fact that I am there to point the way towards useful resources and ask thought provoking questions. I believe that an ideal teacher should apply LC approach to learn with the students and make them feel that teachers are their partners in the learning process.

Last edited by ianenguerra on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
    yvette

Post  yvette Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:16 pm

To sir gary, luther and josh, I, likewise admit that I am adjusting and adapting to the new curriculum. Nevertheless, I am enjoying the pains and gains I experience. Yet, still doubtful with my capacity and hoping to make it as well!
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:17 pm

Thank you Ian! Certainly, the learners' environment greatly affects not only their interest and motivation to learn but the entire learning process as well. Not to make "sipsip" or anything, but we're truly blessed to have Sir Butcon who knows how to motivate his students and who really loves what he's doing as an educator.

ianenguerra wrote:as said by Ms. Tuzon " learning occurs best when it occurs in a positive environment conducive for learning." when you provide a positive environment to your learner it will help you and your learners to effectively digest all knowledge that you transmitted to them.
    evancarlo

Post  evancarlo Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:17 pm

yeah i agree "the blind teaching the blind". but after the lecture yesterday i beleive that we can change this perception right? at the same it will be depending on us how do we apply them right? and theres always room for change.. that's the main point of the discussion - to improve our teaching style wihile delivering the quality education of nursing

Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:Teaching others, apply it to other people. But like what Sir Gary said it's like "the blind teaching the blind". In nursing education, it may be detrimental.

ianenguerra

Post  ianenguerra Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:24 pm

Guys we can say now that Instructional design is a big help, can i say a very big help to us. it will guide us in our journey in MSN program. atleast, we can say now we are confident to encourage each and everyone to pursue our career.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:26 pm

This one is so nice Sir Patrick. Nice thinking! Truly, we will never run out of things to learn.. No matter how experienced you are already, there is always something new to learn.

patmarban wrote:
    More knowledge, more exciting
    A lot to know about teaching
    My cup of knowledge is overflowing
    All these need implementing!
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:28 pm

Yun nga. But for me, teaching something that you do not have a "mastery" in may be detrimental in nursing profession, especially if your a CI in clinical area. That's my fear. But yeah, there's always room for improvement and additional learnings.

evancarlo wrote:yeah i agree "the blind teaching the blind". but after the lecture yesterday i beleive that we can change this perception right? at the same it will be depending on us how do we apply them right? and theres always room for change.. that's the main point of the discussion - to improve our teaching style wihile delivering the quality education of nursing

ianenguerra

Post  ianenguerra Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:34 pm

As said by sir you dont need to master to be able to become a good teacher all you need to do is to comprehend it clearly and deliver to your learners effectively

Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:Yun nga. But for me, teaching something that you do not have a "mastery" in may be detrimental in nursing profession, especially if your a CI in clinical area. That's my fear. But yeah, there's always room for improvement and additional learnings.

evancarlo wrote:yeah i agree "the blind teaching the blind". but after the lecture yesterday i beleive that we can change this perception right? at the same it will be depending on us how do we apply them right? and theres always room for change.. that's the main point of the discussion - to improve our teaching style wihile delivering the quality education of nursing

Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:39 pm

i enjoyed learning from each of you tonight.. looking forward to additional learning tomorrow.. Smile Congrats everyone... Credit to sir Butcon for making a big influence on each of us.. Smile
    ianenguerra

Post  ianenguerra Tue 12 Aug 2008, 11:43 pm

Hope to see you all tom. with the smile on your face. hoping everyone will help each other to achieve our goals as nurse practitioner and nurse educators

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 11:03 pm