E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

Discussion Forum 1

Admin
    Admin

Discussion Forum 1

Post  Admin on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:50 pm

For our first discussion forum, let us discuss the article on:

Learning Together What We Do Not Know: The Pedagogy of Multicultural Foundations
    -Manzano, Kriselda
    -Maquiling, Joshua
    -Marban, Patrick

Please post your forum discussion by replying to this thread. For those assigned to lead the discussion of this article, post your discussion paper as a group then provide guide questions to provide focus for the reactions. The three of you are responsible for the quality of the exchanges. Please observe APA format and citation standards.

Forum will be closed August 13, 2008 at 5PM

Enjoy learning.

Jesson

patmarban

Re: Discussion Forum 1

Post  patmarban on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 12:51 am

The full text can be found here.

patmarban

Post  patmarban on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 4:03 pm

Dear classmates,

For today's discussion, we have written the objectives as follows:

After the discussion forum, the class will be able to:

1. Assimilate the suggestions and findings from the study into their own values and practices.

2. Learn the correct use of different teaching strategies on a given group/population with diverse cultural background.

3. Develop teaching/training plans systematically.

4. Have self-awareness and reflect how the socio-cultural aspect of instructors affects pedagogical method.

5. Create a pedagogical strategy for particular learners.

6. Relate the concepts emphasized in the article to the vision and mission of UERM.

The following are the guide questions we have created. Answer at least 6 questions. Also, we are to comment on each other's answers.

a. Identify the objectives of the study.

b. What are the assumptions of the study?

c. Define pedagogy. What is your role in this concept?

d. In the context of learning Instructional Design, what are the strong and weak points of the study?

e. Why do you think the title of the study was named as such?

f. Is the strategy used by instructor effective in increasing the interns’ socio-cultural awareness? In what way?

g. How did the socio-cultural backgrounds of the prospective instructors affect their method of instruction design?

h. Relate the situation in the study to the situation in the Philippines. What can you say about the need to implement the study’s findings and recommendations to the education system in the Philippines?

i. Describe your own values/organization briefly and relate it to the concept of multicultural foundations in terms of "What; So, What; and Now, What?” How do you implement the concept of pedagogy of multicultural foundations to your own values/organization in order to achieve commitment, compassion, learning, and excellence in education and training?

We are looking forward to a fruitful discussion with you!

Your classmates,

Kriselda Manzano
    Joshua Maquiling
    Patrick Marban

patmarban

Post  patmarban on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 4:42 pm

These are additional guide questions:

j. How should cultural diversity affect teaching strategy?

k. What is the implication of systematically developing an instructional plan to the concept of equity, as discussed in the study?

Again, you may answer at least 6 questions from the list for our discussion. Thank you!

luder

Post  luder on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:15 pm

a. as i understood it, the objectives of the study was geared towards increasing the cultural sensitivity of prospective teachers using intra- as well as interpersonal means. learning in a multicultural environment is difficult for both the teacher and the student. another objective was how to get passed these cultural differences and make learning more meaningful for both parties.

c. Pedagogy, as far as i can understad is all about learning. acquiring knowledge thru a structured student-teacher relationship. in this early stage of my nursing career, my initial role is to understand the deeper implcations of the learning process as i will invovle my self in a teaching career in the future. i am a product of the traditional classroom setup and i am inclined to go that way as well had i not learned about pedagogy. it is therefore my responsibility as a would be teacher to enhance my understanding of the delicate process of education so that i won't come short with my future students.

d. i still have to understand instructional desgin deeper to answer this one...

e. its quite a catchy title, it implies the lack of understanding of such a difficult topic such as culture. it also implies an invitation for both students and teachers to sit down and try to understand each other in a way that will benefit both of them. I think that the title was written this way because it is the reality, we know little about the different cultures that surround us. and we know even less about the way it affects the learning process.

f. i would say yes. their reflections alone reflect a new understanding and appreciation of a reality that is not theirs. it was clear that they were able to identify the "what?; so, what?; now, what?" in the study. im expecting that there will be great difficulty in the implementation of their program on their end as well as with their students. the reason being, it is a different approach. this consttitues a change in the existing system not just for them but for eveybody in general. And change is always hard.

g. the prospective teacher's socio-cultural backgrounds is a big influence in the way the approach things. i have this theory that as we grow up, we believe that the world is how we saw it growing up. i used to think that because i slept in the night meant that everybody in the world slept also. but then ideas like this change. as we grow older we realize that our realities are only perceptions. the respondents of the study seemed to have their own perceptions about how life is for them and for others at the beginning but were only basing their realities on the own perspectives. had they not seen what their students and their parents were going thru, there is a good chance that they mayhave continued to believe in their own reality.

h. On my way to school, i was actually contemplating on the implications this study may have in the Phil. setting. Eventhough we consdir ourselves as one people (one race), let us not forget that the Filipino blood is not pure in the sense that over the years with the different countries that have gained access, we have been impregnated with the different cultures of these countries. spanish, japanese and american just to name a few. not only in our blood do we see the differences within our culture, the way of life during these times have also influenced much of who we are now as a people. Many foreign nationals have also chosen to call the Phil. their home, Chinese, Indians, Koreans... so in the long run the children of these foreigners will grow up to be part of our society. as time passes, the need to address the diverse cultures within our society grows.

i. i need more time to think about this item...

luder

Post  luder on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:23 pm

j. there are many things to consider when teaching, culture is just one of them. "you can't please everyone," i think that is the basis of this discussion. what is the best way to please (teach and make them learn) the most number of students (utilitarian)? how can we deal with those who we're not pleased (culturally different from the norm)? this second question is what is being answered. Teaching strategies therefore, should not only address the first question

patmarban wrote:These are additional guide questions:

silva731

answer to guide questions

Post  silva731 on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:37 pm

1. Identify the objectives of the study.

The objectives of the study was to assess teaching methods, including the aims of education and the ways in which such goals may be achieved. The field relies heavily on educational psychology, or theories about the way in which learning takes place.

To also provide a channel through which this individual through which this individual teacher educator could explore, innovate, and improve her practice.

2. Define Pedagogy? What is your role in this concept?

Pedagogy is the study of teaching methods, including the aims of education and the ways in which such goals may be achieved. The field relies heavily on educational psychology, or theories about the way in which learning takes place. (Britannica, 2008)

My role in this concept is that I can be both a teacher and learner. Continuously interacting applying the principle of reciprocity.

3. Why do you think the title of the study was named as such?

I think the study was named like that because in the study, the prospective teachers where expose to the community where their K-12 students were in. in which in such a way them being as educators must learn the multicultural foundations of the students including their parents. With this understanding they will be able to learn things that they will not be able to assess in an ordinary classroom setting.

3. How could cultural diversity affect teaching strategy?

Cultural diversity greatly affect teaching strategy because The traditional college classroom has a distinct culture that often constrains the success of students from other cultural backgrounds. Traditional culture has remained unnoticed becau se the mismatch with student's culture is never identified. A college teacher's explicit and ongoing attention to the cultural assumptions behind many aspects of classroom teaching will facilitate the learning process for students from all cultural traditions. This does not necessarily mean dismantling of traditional teaching; rather, teachers could incorporate flexible, alternative teaching modes in order to engage the broad range of diverse, cultural derived orientations to learning.

4. What are the assumptions of the study?
    The assumptions of the study is that the k – 12 class has an increasing cultural diversity, Teacher education programs employ various strategies aimed at providing teachers with the knowledge, habits of mind, and practices necessary to work with increasingly racially and ethnically diverse students. and they have issues in such as the socio-political contexts of schooling; race and ethnicity; the culture of power; and equitable teaching practices.

Last edited by silva731 on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:44 am; edited 2 times in total

Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:39 pm

The objective of the study is to assess the pedagogy and how the instructional triangle consisting of the students, the instructor, and the content develops a dynamic interaction with one another. Also, the reviewed study aims to provide means by which the teacher educator could “explore, innovate, and improve” his or her practice.

Merriam-Webster (2008) defines pedagogy as the art and science of being a teacher. My personal understanding of pedagogy based from the article is that pedagogy encompasses all the strategies or styles of instruction which an instructor educator uses in his or her practice. As a student, my role in the concept of pedagogy is to participate and interact in the learning process initiated by my instructor for it is through these interactions where pedagogy takes place.

Pedagogy. (2008). Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary. Retrieved August 13, 2008, from http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/pedagogy

f. Is the strategy used by instructor effective in increasing the interns’ socio-cultural awareness? In what way?

Although the strategies used by the instructor such as the community investigation, the use of video based discussions, readings and writing their reflections enabled the interns to raise questions about their personal beliefs and assumptions these strategies however lead the interns only to sympathize with the families instead of really empathizing with them. As said in the article, the interns only offered solutions that still maintained their own status. They were not able to really understand how the society such as the role of the school and education in general (including their own role) could eradicate the inequity in today’s world.

g. How did the socio-cultural backgrounds of the prospective instructors affect their method of instruction design?

The socio-cultural background of a prospective background greatly affects his method of instruction design. A prospective instructor’s background will affect his pedagogy as an educator in the future such as the teaching methods and approaches as well as the way he will assess and evaluate his students.

Multicultural education recognizes that schools are essential to laying the foundation for the transformation of society and the elimination of oppression and injustice (Gorski, n.d.). Gorski points out that schools must be active participants in ending oppression of all types, first by ending oppression within their own walls, then by producing socially and critically active and aware students. Teachers on the other hand must be prepared to facilitate learning for every individual student, no matter how culturally similar or different from himself or herself. Therefore, the strategy that will be used by the teacher is really vital in opening the minds and awareness of his or her students about cultural diversity. Awareness now of cultural diversity should then lead to promoting equal opportunities for each student to achieve his or her maximum potential.

Gorski. (n.d.). The Challenge of Defining "Multicultural Education". Retrieved August 13, 2008, from http://www.edchange.org/multicultural/initial.html

k. What is the implication of systematically developing an instructional plan to the concept of equity, as discussed in the study?

Developing an instructional plan should serve as an approach for transforming education that should holistically critique and address the current shortcomings, failings, and discriminatory practices in education. For this reason, the role of the teacher and the school is really vital.

gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:49 pm

The title was named “Learning Together What We Do Not Know: The Pedagogy of Multicultural Foundations” because learning in this example goes both ways, on the educator and the student as the interns were placed in a position or in a situation were they have been able to emulate the environment of their students. Additionally, the researcher also learned from the interns,

The objectives of the study were to assess the pedagogy and how it develops in interaction between students, the instructor, and the content ; and to provide an avenue through which this individual teacher educator could explore, innovate, and improve her practice.

Pedagogy is the art or science of being a teacher. The term generally refers to strategies of instruction, or a style of instruction. My role in the concept is as a learner as both the educator and the students learn from each other.

The strong points of the study in the community investigation of the study conducted simply shows that an educator must not simply assume a situation as being a fact nor be judgmental on another. Experience will definitely open one’s eyes and perspectives by emulating or putting one’s self in the other’s shoes.

However the weak points of the community investigation are that it had changed the attitude of the interns from empathy to sympathy and had shifted the roles of a learner to a helper.

It raises the awareness levels of the educator in accessing the situation of the family but it supports sympathy and compromises the objectivity of being an educator and transforms one’s role into that of a helper or charitable worker.

As the prospective instructors were of diverse culture, their methods of instruction design had been influenced by their socio cultural backgrounds.

The interns themselves and the experiences they bring to the course shape the pedagogy, in particular the types of conversations and analysis of socio-political contexts that can occur.

The perspective of one instructor being a lesbian mom in this culture and her willingness to share her experiences with her classmates became a part of the content of the course.

The assumptions of the study were that the interns in this cohort shared similar knowledge (schema) about race and racism given that the majority of the interns are white, middle-class women but their individual experiences and their ways of making sense of those experiences varied.

Cultural diversity will definitely have an affect on teaching startegy as each educator as well as each student has his or her own culture. As with the learner centered approach, a thorough assessment of the learner must first be pursued but it has to go both ways in the sense that the educator must also have some self awareness on his values and beliefs. It would be significant to note that there should also be a mutual respect to each and everyone’s culture before an effective learning process may be implemented. As it is we sometimes subliminally have certain biases on another’s culture and if this is present or becomes dominant, no effective learning can be achieved.

Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:55 pm

Yes Sir Luther I certainly agree that you can never please everybody. Same as with teaching, an educator cannot please all of his students. It is impossible and absurd to make use of a single teaching method. The concept of schema use (assimilation) and schema change (accomodation) is an interesting topic to study further.

luder wrote:j. there are many things to consider when teaching, culture is just one of them. "you can't please everyone," i think that is the basis of this discussion. what is the best way to please (teach and make them learn) the most number of students (utilitarian)? how can we deal with those who we're not pleased (culturally different from the norm)? this second question is what is being answered. Teaching strategies therefore, should not only address the first question

Last edited by Divinia Joy Tuzon on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:59 pm; edited 2 times in total

Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:56 pm

a. the objective of the study is to assess the effectiveness of the pedagogical method and as well it’s effect on the interaction the students, the instructor and the content.

c. The term pedagogy as I understood it from the article says that it is the result of the iteraction that took place between the instructors, the teachers and the content itself which is greatly affected by the the each instructor’s knowledge, experiences as well as results that each derived from their practice. Since the world is multi-cultural in reality, difference of each one involved in the interaction may differ from experience and also beliefs.

d. Since the outcome of the study gave them a very unexpected outcome, the main weakness would be that there are many factors that could differentiate the outcome and they fail to anticipate such.

e. “Learning Together What We Do Not Know: The Pedagogy of Multicultural Foundations” I guess the main reason that they entitled it as such is because the situation shows that each of them have learned from the study of the underlying effect of culture to learnings of an individual. In reality all of us are unaware that learning process is how we inculcate varieties of things around us. It shapes our thinking in a way that we grow with all these things and affects our manner of learning.

f. I think the strategy was not that effective. Not only that they yield a sympathetic than empatic interns in the process, it is always a nature in any given situation to anticipate undersired outcomes. At the end, the instructor came up to realizing that there is an increased need to explore and dig more and that they were not able to answer more questions they need to find out. Their study will encourage new discoveries in the area of research. Interests to the issue of complexity of cultural influence in education will need more time to be answered but yet results will definately be of great help in the near future, where everything is almost linked by cultural diversity issues.

Last edited by Cristina Mariano on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 3:41 am; edited 2 times in total

yvette

Post  yvette on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 5:59 pm

Define pedadogy. What is your role in this concept?
    Defined by MoodleDocs on the internet, Pedagogy is the profession of teaching. From the article, Pedagogy is an instructional strategy. It may be inferred that it pertains to either formal or informal education. It needs to have an interaction between a teacher, students/partipants and subject matter in order to have an effective outcome.
    As an individual, I think my role in education is for professional development. Today, being part of the UERM graduate school is an initial step in achieving this role. I need to continuously learn so I can share my philosophies, gained knowledge and experiences to others. I need to have a deep sense of determination and devotion. I need to be updated with the growing technology so I can always be ahead of my students. I need to understand more and live with pedagogy.

Why do you think the title of the study was named as such?
    The title of the study implies that the equity and diversity in education is yet to be learned. It includes concepts on social justice, socioeconomic situation, health practices, education equity and learners achieving their full potential.

Is the strategy used by instructor effective in increasing the intern’s socio-cultural awareness? In what way?
    In my own opinion, the strategy utilized in the study was effective. The purpose of the study was met. Though the researchers weren’t able to better the lives of the community people,but that is apart from the scope, they were able to articulate their interaction with them leading to awareness and realizations.

How should cultural diversity affect teaching strategy?
    I think the teaching strategy must be in accordance with cultural diversity. The instructional design must be in accordance with the culture of the community. Similar with the concept on multiple intelligence by howard gardner whereby the teaching style is coordinated with the learning personality of the individual.

Last edited by yvette on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 6:19 pm; edited 2 times in total

evancarlo

Pedagogy

Post  evancarlo on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 6:13 pm

a. Identify the objectives of the study
    - As I read through the article, I feel that the objective of the study is the cultural differences in the both the students and teacher’s. How would the teachers respond to the increasing part of culture sensitivity by, as a teacher, using the inter – personal and intra – personal means of communicating to their students. Another one is to develop beginning teachers to commit to an equitable outcome and high achievements for the students.

- Pedagogy is the art or science of being a teacher. It is the use of strategies to further enhance one’s teaching style and therefore create a stimulating learning experience for the students. Taking into consideration the instructor’s philosophical beliefs and the students background knowledge as well as the environment.

- My role would be to enhance my teaching strategy for the mere fact of achieving higher learning knowledge for me and of my students. We should think of a thing as a whole not staying inside the box. We can expand our world and therefore gaining new strategies and insights to further gain maturity and teach our students new things.

- I believed it’s because to clearly see and understand the cultural diversity and improving the instructor’s practice. To further enhanced communication process to the students by assessing their capabilities and experiences before and their behavior. To show what we can do to achieve a higher level of knowledge and further educate our students taking into consideration different aspect such as their culture sensitivity and background knowledge.

f. . Is the strategy used by instructor effective in increasing the interns’ socio-cultural awareness? In what way?
    - Although the strategies used by the instructor such as the community investigation, the use of video based discussions, readings and writing their reflections enable them to see their personal belief and assumptions on the study and further enhanced their awareness on issues on family that led the interns sympathize and empathize with them. The pedagological approach changed the strategies that lead to a learning development from a social context of view.

- Cultural diversity affects greatly an instructors teaching style. Each student has his/her own perception on a given concept. Each culture teach us different ways of interpreting things. Using the multicultural education, an instructor can teach information and knowledge that each student who belong to different race can understand.

- By developing an instructional design for the curriculum, it will be the backbone for transforming education into a more positive leaning experience for the student and teacher’s. Being able to achieve the outcome in a way the needs are met and able to gain maturity in the individual.

weng

Post  weng on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 8:48 pm

Althought the study was about multicultural foundations, the result of the study could be of use to developing a pedagogy for subjects in nursing schools, particularly nursing care.

In the Philippines, multicultural discrimination is not prevalent; whether you were born and raise in the province or in Metro Manila don't matter much. What matters now is how much is your bank account balance. In our society, the great divide is created from people's socio-economic situation.

Most nursing students and instructors in the Philippines ("most," meaning approximately 75% of the academe and student's population (this is based solely on my observation)) come from the "working class" or to speak of it bluntly, those who eat three times a day, can pay rent and bills and have extra money to buy coffee from Starbucks or watch movies at IMAX. The remaining 25% are the so called middle or upperclass, or he who drives his own car and can afford a laptop.

With this, we can say that not all nursing students and instructors have an idea how it feels to be "mahirap" in the Philippines. Although we can see how pitiful the lower class are from the news, it's quite different if we, nursing students and instructors, put ourselves in their shoes even just for a day of their difficult life. We sympathize them, yes. But the question here is, does our feeling of sympathy for them enough to emphatize them?

This is where the study comes in. By using the program as described in the study, most especially out-of-class activities, the "put yourself in his shoes" concept can be attained.

Doing so would give us an idea how to teach nursing students manage patients from the Charity Ward. We can give our students tips on what to do when a patient's bill ballooned (go to PCSO), how to talk to patient and patient's relative when it comes to bills, medicine costs, or anything that has got to do with money, since people from the lower socio-economic class are more sensitive when the talks are about money (practice people skills), or how to manage code-cart inventory and prevent inventory dry up from happening (this occurs when important medicines, like epinephrine, are used to charity patient in need and relatives don't have the money yet to buy or replace the medicine).

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 10:48 pm

To the moderators:
    The guide questions are helpful but too many to achieve focused discussion. Please limit to maximum of 3 guide questions.

To all:

The guide questions are just "guide" to construct your write-up. Do not answer...make a conceptual paper.

Thanks.

Jesson
    patmarban wrote:Dear classmates,

For today's discussion, we have written the objectives as follows:

After the discussion forum, the class will be able to:

1. Assimilate the suggestions and findings from the study into their own values and practices.

2. Learn the correct use of different teaching strategies on a given group/population with diverse cultural background.

3. Develop teaching/training plans systematically.

4. Have self-awareness and reflect how the socio-cultural aspect of instructors affects pedagogical method.

5. Create a pedagogical strategy for particular learners.

6. Relate the concepts emphasized in the article to the vision and mission of UERM.

The following are the guide questions we have created. Answer at least 6 questions. Also, we are to comment on each other's answers.

b. What are the assumptions of the study?

d. In the context of learning Instructional Design, what are the strong and weak points of the study?

h. Relate the situation in the study to the situation in the Philippines. What can you say about the need to implement the study’s findings and recommendations to the education system in the Philippines?

i. Describe your own values/organization briefly and relate it to the concept of multicultural foundations in terms of "What; So, What; and Now, What?” How do you implement the concept of pedagogy of multicultural foundations to your own values/organization in order to achieve commitment, compassion, learning, and excellence in education and training?

We are looking forward to a fruitful discussion with you!

Your classmates,

Kriselda Manzano
    Joshua Maquiling
    Patrick Marban

patmarban

Post  patmarban on Wed 13 Aug 2008, 11:44 pm

Thank you for your feedback sir.

Classmates, we appreciate your feedbacks as well.

We will be posting in 5 minutes.

patmarban

Post  patmarban on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 12:10 am

The general idea of the article is to set aside cultural differences when it comes to learning. Both the teacher and learner should act as a team in order to learn. Good teaching strategies will blossom as soon as the educator increases his knowledge on the learner’s background. (Kriselda Manzano)

Also, the article considers both the socio-cultural aspect of the prospective instructor and the learners to come up with content, learning experiences, and evaluation materials. The authors suggested that the prospective teacher and learners should collaborate to build a curriculum design that will address equity in teaching and multi-cultural dimension. (Joshua Maquiling)

Lastly, the study tells us that we need to know the unknown, referring to the learners' background, in order to teach effectively; we need to see where they are coming from. Being emphatically aware of their situation will make a better pedagogy. Therefore, it is important to learn what we do not know. (Patrick Marban)

To facilitate the discussion, you may focus on following guide questions:

Reflect on how important to consider cultural background of both prospective teachers and learners to come up with a pedagogical material. What are the content, learning experiences, and evaluation tools suggested in the article to come up with a multicultural curriculum design?

Relate the situation in the study to the situation in the Philippines. What can you say about the need to implement the study’s findings and recommendations to the education system in the Philippines?

Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 12:43 am

Educators should always be updated with teaching trends and not merely on the growing technology alone. The article introduces us to pedagogy and left us wanting for more, the only solution is to Read!

yvette wrote:Define pedadogy. What is your role in this concept?
    Defined by MoodleDocs on the internet, Pedagogy is the profession of teaching. From the article, Pedagogy is an instructional strategy. It may be inferred that it pertains to either formal or informal education. It needs to have an interaction between a teacher, students/partipants and subject matter in order to have an effective outcome.
    As an individual, I think my role in education is for professional development. Today, being part of the UERM graduate school is an initial step in achieving this role. I need to continuously learn so I can share my philosophies, gained knowledge and experiences to others. I need to have a deep sense of determination and devotion. I need to be updated with the growing technology so I can always be ahead of my students. I need to understand more and live with pedagogy..
    Smile

Josh

Post  Josh on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 12:45 am

the more we know the more we know that we do not know
    Kriselda Manzano wrote:Educators should always be updated with teaching trends and not merely on the growing technology alone. The article introduces us to pedagogy and left us wanting for more, the only solution is to Read!

yvette wrote:Define pedadogy. What is your role in this concept?
    As an individual, I think my role in education is for professional development. Today, being part of the UERM graduate school is an initial step in achieving this role. I need to continuously learn so I can share my philosophies, gained knowledge and experiences to others. I need to have a deep sense of determination and devotion. I need to be updated with the growing technology so I can always be ahead of my students. I need to understand more and live with pedagogy..
    Smile

Josh

Post  Josh on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 12:53 am

Hi Luder, I appreciate your comment and in some point I might agree with you. Yes, you are correct that the article is implying cultural sensitivity in addressing the need for multicultural curriculum design.

Now, was the suggested actions to come up with a seemingly triangular approch feasible? I think yes. However will take time and will face rigorous challenges. Time nad budget are always a factor. Add to that is the readiness of traditional educational method to accept the modern approach.

luder wrote:a. as i understood it, the objectives of the study was geared towards increasing the cultural sensitivity of prospective teachers using intra- as well as interpersonal means. learning in a multicultural environment is difficult for both the teacher and the student. another objective was how to get passed these cultural differences and make learning more meaningful for both parties.

c. Pedagogy, as far as i can understad is all about learning. acquiring knowledge thru a structured student-teacher relationship. in this early stage of my nursing career, my initial role is to understand the deeper implcations of the learning process as i will invovle my self in a teaching career in the future. i am a product of the traditional classroom setup and i am inclined to go that way as well had i not learned about pedagogy. it is therefore my responsibility as a would be teacher to enhance my understanding of the delicate process of education so that i won't come short with my future students.

d. i still have to understand instructional desgin deeper to answer this one...

e. its quite a catchy title, it implies the lack of understanding of such a difficult topic such as culture. it also implies an invitation for both students and teachers to sit down and try to understand each other in a way that will benefit both of them. I think that the title was written this way because it is the reality, we know little about the different cultures that surround us. and we know even less about the way it affects the learning process.

f. i would say yes. their reflections alone reflect a new understanding and appreciation of a reality that is not theirs. it was clear that they were able to identify the "what?; so, what?; now, what?" in the study. im expecting that there will be great difficulty in the implementation of their program on their end as well as with their students. the reason being, it is a different approach. this consttitues a change in the existing system not just for them but for eveybody in general. And change is always hard.

g. the prospective teacher's socio-cultural backgrounds is a big influence in the way the approach things. i have this theory that as we grow up, we believe that the world is how we saw it growing up. i used to think that because i slept in the night meant that everybody in the world slept also. but then ideas like this change. as we grow older we realize that our realities are only perceptions. the respondents of the study seemed to have their own perceptions about how life is for them and for others at the beginning but were only basing their realities on the own perspectives. had they not seen what their students and their parents were going thru, there is a good chance that they mayhave continued to believe in their own reality.

h. On my way to school, i was actually contemplating on the implications this study may have in the Phil. setting. Eventhough we consdir ourselves as one people (one race), let us not forget that the Filipino blood is not pure in the sense that over the years with the different countries that have gained access, we have been impregnated with the different cultures of these countries. spanish, japanese and american just to name a few. not only in our blood do we see the differences within our culture, the way of life during these times have also influenced much of who we are now as a people. Many foreign nationals have also chosen to call the Phil. their home, Chinese, Indians, Koreans... so in the long run the children of these foreigners will grow up to be part of our society. as time passes, the need to address the diverse cultures within our society grows.

i. i need more time to think about this item...

evancarlo

pedagogy

Post  evancarlo on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 12:57 am

Based from my understanding, the article is all about handling and responding to the cultural diversity in students and as such, using the pedagogy to further enhanced the teaching style of the instructor and achieved a positive outcome. It is setting aside the aspect of cultural difference of the students and taking into consideration the "race" issue. By using the pedagological process, it will create a stimulating and positive environment that will enhance learning for the students and the teachers thorugh interacting with each other.

The article aslo cited socio - cultural aspect of the prospective instructor, that focuses on the content and thus making an impact on the teachers beliefs and attitudes. For the pedagogy to set in, the teacher needs to have an initiative for the instructional process to take place suing his/her prior learning experience and intercultural experience.

Based from what i have conceptualize from the statement of Sir Butcon about learn what you dont know. In this article, we must see and learn the unknown such the learner's background, race and capabilities. In order for us to be effective, we need to assess the needs based from the given situation and issues that may or maynot arise. By taking a look more on this situations, we can learn from it and at the same time adjust out teaching style for better learning by adopting and using the pedogological process.

In the Philippines, it is very rare for this issue to occur unless it is known nationally about discriminating other races. It is true that our medical tourism is increasing every year that it attracts 3rd world country to come in the philippines for their education and health needs, that in fact much cheaper in their country's, That is attracts also foreign students to finish their studies here, As some like nigerians. But multicultural discrimination is not prevalent. The study clearly shows us a more resourceful way of achieveing a higher level of learning. As an instructor, we are bounded by the old setting of teaching style, wherein we can adopt new things and change our teaching style for better outcome thus coming up with a multicultural curriculum design. In my own point of view, we can use several teaching style including the pedagological process to further met the needs of our students and for them to be motivated to learn, coz the hardest part of it is to learn how to learn.

patmarban

Post  patmarban on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:04 am

The study emphasizes the importance of instructor awareness with regard to the socio-cultural background of his/her students in order to teach more efficiently.

Cristina Mariano wrote:

e. “Learning Together What We Do Not Know: The Pedagogy of Multicultural Foundations” I guess the main reason that they entitled it as such is because the situation shows that each of them have learned from the study of the underlying effect of culture to learnings of an individual. In reality all of us are unaware that learning process is how we inculcate varieties of things around us. It shapes our thinking in a way that we grow with all these things and affects our manner of learning.

evancarlo

Post  evancarlo on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:07 am

I agree with Ma'am Weng. That main issue lies within the socio - economic situation of the teacher and the student or as a whole individual. Yes, Budget is of utmost issue rather than the multicultural discrimination. For me, we don't need to sympathize others coz it will add up more to their grievances in life or whatsoever. We can only emphatize on the situation and instead of whining - we can do actions that may intervene on the needs and promote a positive outcome.

The "put yourself in his shoes" is a concept wherein we can determine and see the actions that needs to be taken and arising from it by having a positive attitude and taking into consideration our past experiences where we can relate and adjust to it. We need to be motivated on the things we do. In education, no aspect of hindrance is an issue, as long as we are determined and motivated to learn - then we can moveon together with the issues that are arising.

weng wrote:Althought the study was about multicultural foundations, the result of the study could be of use to developing a pedagogy for subjects in nursing schools, particularly nursing care.

In the Philippines, multicultural discrimination is not prevalent; whether you were born and raise in the province or in Metro Manila don't matter much. What matters now is how much is your bank account balance. In our society, the great divide is created from people's socio-economic situation.

Most nursing students and instructors in the Philippines ("most," meaning approximately 75% of the academe and student's population (this is based solely on my observation)) come from the "working class" or to speak of it bluntly, those who eat three times a day, can pay rent and bills and have extra money to buy coffee from Starbucks or watch movies at IMAX. The remaining 25% are the so called middle or upperclass, or he who drives his own car and can afford a laptop.

With this, we can say that not all nursing students and instructors have an idea how it feels to be "mahirap" in the Philippines. Although we can see how pitiful the lower class are from the news, it's quite different if we, nursing students and instructors, put ourselves in their shoes even just for a day of their difficult life. We sympathize them, yes. But the question here is, does our feeling of sympathy for them enough to emphatize them?

This is where the study comes in. By using the program as described in the study, most especially out-of-class activities, the "put yourself in his shoes" concept can be attained.

Doing so would give us an idea how to teach nursing students manage patients from the Charity Ward. We can give our students tips on what to do when a patient's bill ballooned (go to PCSO), how to talk to patient and patient's relative when it comes to bills, medicine costs, or anything that has got to do with money, since people from the lower socio-economic class are more sensitive when the talks are about money (practice people skills), or how to manage code-cart inventory and prevent inventory dry up from happening (this occurs when important medicines, like epinephrine, are used to charity patient in need and relatives don't have the money yet to buy or replace the medicine).

Josh

Post  Josh on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:11 am

Good point sir Gary. Community assessment or homevisit is a very noble attempt as a method of assessment and evaluation tool. However, i can't imagine how tedious and taxing this process to teachers specially if we put up that system here in our country.

Ideally, though, if the objective is to come up with a suitable curriculum design where ehtnicity and multi-cultural society, then as teachers we should uphold the great benefit that it will bring to our students.
    quote="gary.orosa"]The title was named “Learning Together What We Do Not Know: The Pedagogy of Multicultural Foundations” because learning in this example goes both ways, on the educator and the student as the interns were placed in a position or in a situation were they have been able to emulate the environment of their students. Additionally, the researcher also learned from the interns,

The objectives of the study were to assess the pedagogy and how it develops in interaction between students, the instructor, and the content ; and to provide an avenue through which this individual teacher educator could explore, innovate, and improve her practice.

Pedagogy is the art or science of being a teacher. The term generally refers to strategies of instruction, or a style of instruction. My role in the concept is as a learner as both the educator and the students learn from each other.

The strong points of the study in the community investigation of the study conducted simply shows that an educator must not simply assume a situation as being a fact nor be judgmental on another. Experience will definitely open one’s eyes and perspectives by emulating or putting one’s self in the other’s shoes.

However the weak points of the community investigation are that it had changed the attitude of the interns from empathy to sympathy and had shifted the roles of a learner to a helper.

It raises the awareness levels of the educator in accessing the situation of the family but it supports sympathy and compromises the objectivity of being an educator and transforms one’s role into that of a helper or charitable worker.

As the prospective instructors were of diverse culture, their methods of instruction design had been influenced by their socio cultural backgrounds.

The interns themselves and the experiences they bring to the course shape the pedagogy, in particular the types of conversations and analysis of socio-political contexts that can occur.

The perspective of one instructor being a lesbian mom in this culture and her willingness to share her experiences with her classmates became a part of the content of the course.

The assumptions of the study were that the interns in this cohort shared similar knowledge (schema) about race and racism given that the majority of the interns are white, middle-class women but their individual experiences and their ways of making sense of those experiences varied.

Cultural diversity will definitely have an affect on teaching startegy as each educator as well as each student has his or her own culture. As with the learner centered approach, a thorough assessment of the learner must first be pursued but it has to go both ways in the sense that the educator must also have some self awareness on his values and beliefs. It would be significant to note that there should also be a mutual respect to each and everyone’s culture before an effective learning process may be implemented. As it is we sometimes subliminally have certain biases on another’s culture and if this is present or becomes dominant, no effective learning can be achieved.[/quote]

patmarban

Post  patmarban on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:12 am

Indeed, no one has the monopoly of knowledge. No one can claim, even the experts, the he or she knows "everything." Therefore, even as educators, we continuously need to learn.

silva731 wrote:

2. Define Pedagogy? What is your role in this concept?

Pedagogy is the study of teaching methods, including the aims of education and the ways in which such goals may be achieved. The field relies heavily on educational psychology, or theories about the way in which learning takes place.

My role in this concept is that I can be both a teacher and learner. Continuously interacting applying the principle of reciprocity.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Tue 22 Jan 2019, 12:34 am