E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning


    Discussion Forum 1

    avatar
    Josh

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2008-08-11

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Josh on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:15 am

    I think evan, in the Philippines, it is highly applicable. Particularly if we wanted to address the need for education of our indigenous brothers and sisters in the mountains. Philippines is highly populated with different ethnic cultures.

    evancarlo wrote:Based from my understanding, the article is all about handling and responding to the cultural diversity in students and as such, using the pedagogy to further enhanced the teaching style of the instructor and achieved a positive outcome. It is setting aside the aspect of cultural difference of the students and taking into consideration the "race" issue. By using the pedagological process, it will create a stimulating and positive environment that will enhance learning for the students and the teachers thorugh interacting with each other.

    The article aslo cited socio - cultural aspect of the prospective instructor, that focuses on the content and thus making an impact on the teachers beliefs and attitudes. For the pedagogy to set in, the teacher needs to have an initiative for the instructional process to take place suing his/her prior learning experience and intercultural experience.

    Based from what i have conceptualize from the statement of Sir Butcon about learn what you dont know. In this article, we must see and learn the unknown such the learner's background, race and capabilities. In order for us to be effective, we need to assess the needs based from the given situation and issues that may or maynot arise. By taking a look more on this situations, we can learn from it and at the same time adjust out teaching style for better learning by adopting and using the pedogological process.

    In the Philippines, it is very rare for this issue to occur unless it is known nationally about discriminating other races. It is true that our medical tourism is increasing every year that it attracts 3rd world country to come in the philippines for their education and health needs, that in fact much cheaper in their country's, That is attracts also foreign students to finish their studies here, As some like nigerians. But multicultural discrimination is not prevalent. The study clearly shows us a more resourceful way of achieveing a higher level of learning. As an instructor, we are bounded by the old setting of teaching style, wherein we can adopt new things and change our teaching style for better outcome thus coming up with a multicultural curriculum design. In my own point of view, we can use several teaching style including the pedagological process to further met the needs of our students and for them to be motivated to learn, coz the hardest part of it is to learn how to learn.
    avatar
    patmarban

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2008-08-11
    Age : 36
    Location : Quezon City

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  patmarban on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:23 am

    You wrote a very detailed answer which is very good! It is true that being on someone's shoes greatly increases awareness of situations previously unknown to you and thus, linking your ideals and values with reality.

    silva731 wrote:

    3. In the context of instructional design, what are the strong and weak points of the study?

    The strong point of the study is that while the overall impact of the community investigation led to a heightened awareness of the issues facing families, in the first implementation of the assignment during a four-week summer course, the instructor faced a troubling outcome. During the debriefing session, several students were excited about resources they had come across during the investigation. For example, students who had explored health care options had revealed their status as students to a healthcare worker at a nearby hospital who supplied the students with brochures and applications for free medical insurance for children and families. Interns decided that they would prepare a binder for families with healthcare options and other community resources as a "Now, what? " implication for their own practice. They expressed how good it felt for them to be helping their families in this manner. The instructor realized that the major outcome of the activity had not been met. Instead of developing empathy for families and understanding how societal structures including schools serve to maintain the status quo of inequity, the interns were expressing sympathy and offering solutions that would maintain their own status as privileged, white, middle class, English fluent, helpers. At the next class meeting, the instructor asked students to reflect on the word helpful and its potential antonyms. Further, students were asked to consider what their role as helper means for those being helped. The class had just read about the concept of reciprocity (Moll, Amanti, Neff, & Gonzalez, 1992) so they could ask themselves how they could shift from the role of helper to the role of learner with families so as to draw on the funds of knowledge offered by parents and children to make these relationships more reciprocal.
    When the community investigation was assigned to the cohort that participated in this study, the helpfulness orientation came up on a smaller scale, perhaps due to subtle changes in the assignment description and the way the investigation was introduced. Because of the previous experience, the instructor could respond immediately with the prompting questions and engage students in making the reciprocity connection during the debriefing session rather than at the next class meeting. These changes in instruction from semester to semester exemplify how the pedagogy in the course builds on instructor learning as well as student learning developmentally and in a social context. The instructor began to question the legitimacy of the one-day event and the helpfulness orientation that resulted as a problematic aspect of the course.

    avatar
    Josh

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2008-08-11

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Josh on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:26 am

    On Cristina's, do you mean as we are learning to the complexities of phenomenon around us we shape our own culture? and this culture affects our capability to learn and directly affect our method of teaching? perhaps, the reason why culture is power, it influences our being and may attract and distract others. if so, cultural mutuality and equity should be highly addressed to come up with a global curriculum design.

    patmarban wrote:The study emphasizes the importance of instructor awareness with regard to the socio-cultural background of his/her students in order to teach more efficiently.

    Cristina Mariano wrote:

    e. “Learning Together What We Do Not Know: The Pedagogy of Multicultural Foundations” I guess the main reason that they entitled it as such is because the situation shows that each of them have learned from the study of the underlying effect of culture to learnings of an individual. In reality all of us are unaware that learning process is how we inculcate varieties of things around us. It shapes our thinking in a way that we grow with all these things and affects our manner of learning.

    avatar
    Kriselda Manzano

    Posts : 36
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Kriselda Manzano on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:30 am

    hi evan and weng,
    i also observed that multicultural prejudice is not prevalent in our country however, as early as today we should be vigilant to prevent its spread. An article written by Rey A. Gomez (1991) emphasized that multicultural education embodies a perspective rather than a curriculum, the teachers must consider children's (learner’s) cultural identities and be aware of their own biases too.

    Gomez, Rey A. (1991). ERIC Identifier: ED339548. Retrieved Aug 13, 2008 from http://www.ericdigests.org/1992-5/perspective.htm

    evancarlo wrote:I agree with Ma'am Weng. That main issue lies within the socio - economic situation of the teacher and the student or as a whole individual. Yes, Budget is of utmost issue rather than the multicultural discrimination. For me, we don't need to sympathize others coz it will add up more to their grievances in life or whatsoever. We can only emphatize on the situation and instead of whining - we can do actions that may intervene on the needs and promote a positive outcome.

    The "put yourself in his shoes" is a concept wherein we can determine and see the actions that needs to be taken and arising from it by having a positive attitude and taking into consideration our past experiences where we can relate and adjust to it. We need to be motivated on the things we do. In education, no aspect of hindrance is an issue, as long as we are determined and motivated to learn - then we can moveon together with the issues that are arising.

    weng wrote:Althought the study was about multicultural foundations, the result of the study could be of use to developing a pedagogy for subjects in nursing schools, particularly nursing care.

    In the Philippines, multicultural discrimination is not prevalent; whether you were born and raise in the province or in Metro Manila don't matter much. What matters now is how much is your bank account balance. In our society, the great divide is created from people's socio-economic situation.

    Most nursing students and instructors in the Philippines ("most," meaning approximately 75% of the academe and student's population (this is based solely on my observation)) come from the "working class" or to speak of it bluntly, those who eat three times a day, can pay rent and bills and have extra money to buy coffee from Starbucks or watch movies at IMAX. The remaining 25% are the so called middle or upperclass, or he who drives his own car and can afford a laptop.

    With this, we can say that not all nursing students and instructors have an idea how it feels to be "mahirap" in the Philippines. Although we can see how pitiful the lower class are from the news, it's quite different if we, nursing students and instructors, put ourselves in their shoes even just for a day of their difficult life. We sympathize them, yes. But the question here is, does our feeling of sympathy for them enough to emphatize them?

    This is where the study comes in. By using the program as described in the study, most especially out-of-class activities, the "put yourself in his shoes" concept can be attained.

    Doing so would give us an idea how to teach nursing students manage patients from the Charity Ward. We can give our students tips on what to do when a patient's bill ballooned (go to PCSO), how to talk to patient and patient's relative when it comes to bills, medicine costs, or anything that has got to do with money, since people from the lower socio-economic class are more sensitive when the talks are about money (practice people skills), or how to manage code-cart inventory and prevent inventory dry up from happening (this occurs when important medicines, like epinephrine, are used to charity patient in need and relatives don't have the money yet to buy or replace the medicine).


    Last edited by Kriselda Manzano on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:41 am; edited 2 times in total
    avatar
    Josh

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2008-08-11

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Josh on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:33 am

    The individuality of every individual should be highly observed in order to come up with equity in teaching.

    Kriselda Manzano wrote:hi evan and weng,
    i also observed that multicultural prejudice is not prevalent in our country however, as early as today we should be vigilant to prevent its spread. An article written by Rey A. Gomez (1991) emphasized that multicultural education embodies a perspective rather than a curriculum, the teachers must consider children's (learner’s) cultural identities and be aware of their own biases too.

    evancarlo wrote:I agree with Ma'am Weng. That main issue lies within the socio - economic situation of the teacher and the student or as a whole individual. Yes, Budget is of utmost issue rather than the multicultural discrimination. For me, we don't need to sympathize others coz it will add up more to their grievances in life or whatsoever. We can only emphatize on the situation and instead of whining - we can do actions that may intervene on the needs and promote a positive outcome.

    The "put yourself in his shoes" is a concept wherein we can determine and see the actions that needs to be taken and arising from it by having a positive attitude and taking into consideration our past experiences where we can relate and adjust to it. We need to be motivated on the things we do. In education, no aspect of hindrance is an issue, as long as we are determined and motivated to learn - then we can moveon together with the issues that are arising.

    weng wrote:Althought the study was about multicultural foundations, the result of the study could be of use to developing a pedagogy for subjects in nursing schools, particularly nursing care.

    In the Philippines, multicultural discrimination is not prevalent; whether you were born and raise in the province or in Metro Manila don't matter much. What matters now is how much is your bank account balance. In our society, the great divide is created from people's socio-economic situation.

    Most nursing students and instructors in the Philippines ("most," meaning approximately 75% of the academe and student's population (this is based solely on my observation)) come from the "working class" or to speak of it bluntly, those who eat three times a day, can pay rent and bills and have extra money to buy coffee from Starbucks or watch movies at IMAX. The remaining 25% are the so called middle or upperclass, or he who drives his own car and can afford a laptop.

    With this, we can say that not all nursing students and instructors have an idea how it feels to be "mahirap" in the Philippines. Although we can see how pitiful the lower class are from the news, it's quite different if we, nursing students and instructors, put ourselves in their shoes even just for a day of their difficult life. We sympathize them, yes. But the question here is, does our feeling of sympathy for them enough to emphatize them?

    This is where the study comes in. By using the program as described in the study, most especially out-of-class activities, the "put yourself in his shoes" concept can be attained.

    Doing so would give us an idea how to teach nursing students manage patients from the Charity Ward. We can give our students tips on what to do when a patient's bill ballooned (go to PCSO), how to talk to patient and patient's relative when it comes to bills, medicine costs, or anything that has got to do with money, since people from the lower socio-economic class are more sensitive when the talks are about money (practice people skills), or how to manage code-cart inventory and prevent inventory dry up from happening (this occurs when important medicines, like epinephrine, are used to charity patient in need and relatives don't have the money yet to buy or replace the medicine).
    avatar
    silva731

    Posts : 35
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  silva731 on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:39 am

    My insight on the paper is that us, being as educators as well as learners in our chosen profession must continue to learn not only in the context of our profession but also to the cultural diversity of the people we interact with.

    Being able to understand the situation of the people we mingle with is not merely enough for us to say that we are able to empathize with them. What we should know as educators as well as learners at the same time is that we should also know on how to empower people in which we help them help themselves.

    The article just showed us the thin line between being empathic and sympathetic, we should always be reminded that we should always put ourselves in the shoes of people we want to help and prevent having the status quo of inequity. We shpuld always be a learner among these culturally diversed people.
    avatar
    Cristina Mariano

    Posts : 24
    Join date : 2008-08-12
    Age : 32
    Location : Manila

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Cristina Mariano on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:47 am

    nope i didn't mean that.what i said was the complexity of things around us shapes our thinking which in one way or another affects our way of learning. Besides, our culture is not shaped based on the complexities of the phenomenon around us. Culture can be defined as all the ways of life including arts, beliefs and institutions of a population that are passed down from generation to generation.

    Josh wrote:On Cristina's, do you mean as we are learning to the complexities of phenomenon around us we shape our own culture? and this culture affects our capability to learn and directly affect our method of teaching? perhaps, the reason why culture is power, it influences our being and may attract and distract others. if so, cultural mutuality and equity should be highly addressed to come up with a global curriculum design.

    patmarban wrote:The study emphasizes the importance of instructor awareness with regard to the socio-cultural background of his/her students in order to teach more efficiently.

    Cristina Mariano wrote:

    e. “Learning Together What We Do Not Know: The Pedagogy of Multicultural Foundations” I guess the main reason that they entitled it as such is because the situation shows that each of them have learned from the study of the underlying effect of culture to learnings of an individual. In reality all of us are unaware that learning process is how we inculcate varieties of things around us. It shapes our thinking in a way that we grow with all these things and affects our manner of learning.

    avatar
    gary.orosa

    Posts : 19
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  gary.orosa on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:52 am

    I believe the key of the discussion must first focus on self awareness on the part of the educator. Before the educator can provide any effective learning on the part of the student especially if the student is of different culture, the educator must first be aware of his own culture, his own biases on another culture and must be able to develop a sense of objectivity and empathy instead of sympathy as his role is supposed to be that of a teacher and not of a social worker. A helper to assist one in learning without any feelings of counter transference. Admittedly, the challenge will be on how the educator will be able to learn the culture of the other while at the same time maintain one’s objectivity.

    wow now i can use green fonts, but still not big enough though...

    [/color]
    Josh wrote:Good point sir Gary. Community assessment or homevisit is a very noble attempt as a method of assessment and evaluation tool. However, i can't imagine how tedious and taxing this process to teachers specially if we put up that system here in our country.

    Ideally, though, if the objective is to come up with a suitable curriculum design where ehtnicity and multi-cultural society, then as teachers we should uphold the great benefit that it will bring to our students.
    quote="gary.orosa"]The title was named “Learning Together What We Do Not Know: The Pedagogy of Multicultural Foundations” because learning in this example goes both ways, on the educator and the student as the interns were placed in a position or in a situation were they have been able to emulate the environment of their students. Additionally, the researcher also learned from the interns,

    The objectives of the study were to assess the pedagogy and how it develops in interaction between students, the instructor, and the content ; and to provide an avenue through which this individual teacher educator could explore, innovate, and improve her practice.

    Pedagogy is the art or science of being a teacher. The term generally refers to strategies of instruction, or a style of instruction. My role in the concept is as a learner as both the educator and the students learn from each other.

    The strong points of the study in the community investigation of the study conducted simply shows that an educator must not simply assume a situation as being a fact nor be judgmental on another. Experience will definitely open one’s eyes and perspectives by emulating or putting one’s self in the other’s shoes.

    However the weak points of the community investigation are that it had changed the attitude of the interns from empathy to sympathy and had shifted the roles of a learner to a helper.

    It raises the awareness levels of the educator in accessing the situation of the family but it supports sympathy and compromises the objectivity of being an educator and transforms one’s role into that of a helper or charitable worker.

    As the prospective instructors were of diverse culture, their methods of instruction design had been influenced by their socio cultural backgrounds.

    The interns themselves and the experiences they bring to the course shape the pedagogy, in particular the types of conversations and analysis of socio-political contexts that can occur.

    The perspective of one instructor being a lesbian mom in this culture and her willingness to share her experiences with her classmates became a part of the content of the course.

    The assumptions of the study were that the interns in this cohort shared similar knowledge (schema) about race and racism given that the majority of the interns are white, middle-class women but their individual experiences and their ways of making sense of those experiences varied.

    Cultural diversity will definitely have an affect on teaching startegy as each educator as well as each student has his or her own culture. As with the learner centered approach, a thorough assessment of the learner must first be pursued but it has to go both ways in the sense that the educator must also have some self awareness on his values and beliefs. It would be significant to note that there should also be a mutual respect to each and everyone’s culture before an effective learning process may be implemented. As it is we sometimes subliminally have certain biases on another’s culture and if this is present or becomes dominant, no effective learning can be achieved.
    [/quote]
    avatar
    sdlopez02

    Posts : 16
    Join date : 2008-08-12
    Location : philippines

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  sdlopez02 on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:55 am

    The way i see it, the article does not just set aside the cultural differences of both the teacher and the learner but rather it explores the differences of both parties for better understanding. Cultural differences cannot be just "set aside". it is has become part of us and how we grew up to be. However, when a disparity exists between the teacher and the learner and it impedes the goal of learning then that might be the time to set it aside.

    I find it in this country that economic status sets people apart. I find it in my class. This article gives me another reason why i should not scold my students without prior investigation to what have had happened - aside from worrying about my alta presion. Scolding them outright may mean pre-judging their actions as totally unacceptable and does not take into consideration the factors behind what led to that action. Socio-economic reasons may be taken into consideration because nowadays many cannot afford the rising cost of living. Some of my students fail to comply with projects and reports (that would entail spending quite a sum of money) due to a lack of funds. Exploring this side opens an opportunity for students to reinvent themselves. As with the my saying to my students, "diskartehan mo na lang yan", i display empathy as i am open to other ways my students can meet my requirements. Resourcefulness is what i am teaching my students.

    Empathy puts us in the shoes of the other person. It allows us see the situation or the predicament the other is facing. It opens new possibilities for learning despite being handicapped by low family income - which affects probably the majority of students today.
    avatar
    silva731

    Posts : 35
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty culture

    Post  silva731 on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:55 am

    let us first define what is culture:

    # Culture refers to the cumulative deposit of knowledge, experience, beliefs, values, attitudes, meanings, hierarchies, religion, notions of time, roles, spatial relations, concepts of the universe, and material objects and possessions acquired by a group of people in the course of generations through individual and group striving.
    # Culture is the systems of knowledge shared by a relatively large group of people. (Hofstede,1997)

    with this definition , we would be able to understand what is cultural diversity, in which groups of people, have different cultural views, ranging from different social class. The paper only wanted to say that as educators as well as learners we should be aware of this diversity for us not to promote inequity among others...

    And with this knowledge we would be able to be better educators, and have a pedagogy with multi cultural foundations.


    Last edited by silva731 on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:59 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    patmarban

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2008-08-11
    Age : 36
    Location : Quezon City

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  patmarban on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 1:59 am

    Even as a student, we may be an educator. How? At home when we apply our nursing knowledge to our family. Also, during peer discussions with our non-nursing friends, we sometimes take the role of an educator if they ask something health related and we answer them based on our knowledge of the sciences.


    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

    c. Define pedagogy. What is your role in this concept?

    Merriam-Webster (2008) defines pedagogy as the art and science of being a teacher. My personal understanding of pedagogy based from the article is that pedagogy encompasses all the strategies or styles of instruction which an instructor educator uses in his or her practice. As a student, my role in the concept of pedagogy is to participate and interact in the learning process initiated by my instructor for it is through these interactions where pedagogy takes place.

    avatar
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

    Posts : 65
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 2:19 am

    I appreciate your comment Sir Patrick. I was only emphasizing my perceived role based from the concept of instructional triangle of students, teacher and subject matter. I do believe that students can be educators in their own ways too. The example you've given is a good one. Students no matter how inexperience they may be also have something worthwhile to share and teach to others and even to their educators. The learning process is a two-way process. Students learn from their teachers. Similarly, teachers also learn from their students.

    patmarban wrote:Even as a student, we may be an educator. How? At home when we apply our nursing knowledge to our family. Also, during peer discussions with our non-nursing friends, we sometimes take the role of an educator if they ask something health related and we answer them based on our knowledge of the sciences.


    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

    c. Define pedagogy. What is your role in this concept?

    Merriam-Webster (2008) defines pedagogy as the art and science of being a teacher. My personal understanding of pedagogy based from the article is that pedagogy encompasses all the strategies or styles of instruction which an instructor educator uses in his or her practice. As a student, my role in the concept of pedagogy is to participate and interact in the learning process initiated by my instructor for it is through these interactions where pedagogy takes place.

    avatar
    Kriselda Manzano

    Posts : 36
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Kriselda Manzano on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 2:42 am

    Going back on our guide question, considering cultural background of the teacher and the learner is significantly important to develop a pedagogical material.

    The teacher should focus on designing, implementing and later on evaluating the developed material to analyze if it assisted in facilitating learning. Reassessment must be done to improve the material for future use.


    Last edited by Kriselda Manzano on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 2:49 am; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    Kriselda Manzano

    Posts : 36
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Kriselda Manzano on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 2:47 am

    Thank you classmates for participating, I was enlightened. Peer learning is an effective method for me..







    avatar
    sdlopez02

    Posts : 16
    Join date : 2008-08-12
    Location : philippines

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  sdlopez02 on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 2:51 am

    In the philippines, i don't think racial issue is a problem. The article is in an american scenario where racism is centuries old and many (african-americans, american-indians, hispanics, asians, etc.) are still struggling today. so what could cause disparity between Filipinos that it could hinder learning between Filipino teachers and their learners? I could enumerate socio-economic status and sexuality, but is that all?

    Anyway, a "Reach-out" is an activity that would enable a teacher to "live" the life of a poor (student) for a day or two. That is what the author did for her interns - to be put into the shoes of their students and see their problems aside from their academic obligations. Even for a day or two, it would make a lasting impression to their minds the everyday struggles of students of these sort just to go to school.

    I was also thinking sexuality might be an issue but, although this is a dominantly Christian country, i'm seeing a lot of people accepting the 3rd sex in the society. however, this could be debatable.

    People will forget what you said, people will forget what you did, but people will never forget how you made them feel
    - Bonnie Jean Wasmund on empathy
    avatar
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

    Posts : 26
    Join date : 2008-08-12
    Age : 32

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 2:55 am

    Assessing the pedagogical method and the way it interacts with the students, instructors and the content is the objective of the study. Also, to provide an avenue through which this individual teacher educator could explore, innovate, and improve her practice. I think that the study implies that the teacher and the student must set aside cultural indifferences to come up with a good pedagogical method for better learning. But I believe that by trying to adapt with these indifferences would create a better pedagogy for both the teacher and the student. I think this is what’s meant by the title “Learning Together What We Do Not Know”, to get accustomed with each culture, to learn something from each of it.

    In the study, the interns are tasked to be emphatic and to understand how the societal structures serve to maintain the status quo of inequity, but instead, sympathy were shown and solutions were offered. This proposes the thin line that separates the empathy and sympathy. By empathizing, we put ourselves into each other’s shoe, which helps us understand and experience the things we do not experience right now. Being a nurse, we should always bear in mind to empathize with our patients and not merely sympathizing with them. As an educator, empathizing with our students makes us learn the unknown.

    Applying the study in the Philippines may not be a hard work after all, for we do not experience discrimination in culture. As we notice, many foreign students come here to study for we offer low cost education compared to their country. With this, we can easily adapt through their cultures, develop a new curriculum design that would benefit the multicultural learners and the teacher as well.
    avatar
    Cristina Mariano

    Posts : 24
    Join date : 2008-08-12
    Age : 32
    Location : Manila

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Cristina Mariano on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 3:49 am

    Consideration of the diversity of culture and its impact on the teacher and learners should definitely be addressed in coming up with a pedagogical material. Since the course of multicultural foundation was about the “sundry everything” involving a person or an individual raised from a totally different environment, lifestyle, and other socio-cultural aspects, it is challenging in the sense that both the learners and teachers be aware of differences that may serve as hindrances to learning. Though the knowledge as to how to answer this query is not there yet, we should continually seek answers to the what, so, what and now what of things.

    We must be reminded that learning is a continuous process of inquiry. Along the way one will encounter barriers caused by individual differences and so flexibility on either the learner’s or the teacher’s part should be made to meet halfway so the endpoint will be achieving the goal which is to learn and that involves learning from each other.

    Though not so much prejudice occurs in the Philippines, I believe with our desire to be globally competitive we should be ready to face this kind of scenario and learn how to handle and materialize a strategy on how to adjust our curriculum in a manner that will bridge the gap between individuals of all sorts.
    avatar
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

    Posts : 65
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 4:22 am

    After reading what my classmates have to say, I must say that the topic really interests everyone. To start with, let me admit that after studying the article I can finally say that now I know and really understand the meaning of pedagogy. I believe with what Sir Gary mentioned that in order for an educator to fully understand the concept of pedagogy of multicultural foundations, he should first focus on his self-awareness. The instructor’s self-assessment on his teaching as well as his prior experiences would immensely affect his formation and utilization of his own pedagogy.

    Relating the situation in the study to the situation in our country, I’ve noticed that some believe that it is prevalent and applicable while others may not think of it as relevant. By just reading the stated reasons, I can say that truly one’s beliefs and experiences affects the way he or she perceives a current situation. I personally think that multicultural does not only mean different races. It also encompasses the diversity of ethnic, social-class, and cultural groups. Banks and Banks (1995) defined multicultural education as an emerging discipline whose major aim is to create equal educational opportunities for students from diverse racial, ethnic, social-class, and cultural groups. With this, I agree with Sir Josh that the finding of this study is applicable in the Philippine setting as well. Though it may be true that Filipinos are less racist compared to other nationalities, the fact that our country is widely populated in terms of socio-economic aspect makes the concept of multicultural education imperative in the context of our education today.

    The importance of learning the significance of empathizing instead of sympathizing is a good realization. I admire you Ms. Sonia for displaying empathy to your students. However just like what Sir Joel said, I think that it is not enough to merely say that by understanding what others are going through we are already empathizing with them. If every individual will try to transform first his or her own self coupled with transformation of education (including the responsibilities of both learners and educators), this could eventually lead to transformation of the entire society. The result is social change which I believe is the underlying goal of multicultural foundations of education.

    Banks and Banks. (1995). Multicultural Education. Retrieved August 14, 2008 from http://www.ncrel.org/sdrs/areas/issues/educatrs/presrvce/pe3lk1.htm
    avatar
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

    Posts : 26
    Join date : 2008-08-12
    Age : 32

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 4:34 am

    With what Sir Gary has to say about self-awareness, I do believe too that before trying to adapt or to know something about one person or a culture, you must first have an assessment on your own. Before trying to open up other people’s background, you must first be aware of what you have in you, on what you might share with others, and be aware also that new learnings will be molded in you.

    As what Miss Tuzon said, if transformation is made to you first then leading to transformation of the society, is a result of a social change. Multicultural education can be applicable to Philippine setting as we currently cater education to foreign students. The traditional curriculum can then be revised into culturally driven curriculum, allowing a major transformation for the betterment of the society.
    avatar
    Josh

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2008-08-11

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Josh on Thu 14 Aug 2008, 7:28 am

    The primciples of introspection, which I think was authored by the Great Socrates, is really a must to practice of every individual not only by nurse educators/educators. Even in simple interactions with other people, rich or poor, have to practice self-awareness in order to gain positive interpersonal relationship. With that being said, as an apprentice in the field of nursing education, being free from prejudice, in dealing with nursing students, I found out that I can emphatize more with my students and easily relate my lived experiences with their own. However, i find it amusing, how students are very much affected with the culture that influenced our students, in the school they came from or the culture acquired from the instructors. I found it very powerful that affects a student way of learning and motivation to learn. In short, students are directly or indirectly influenced by culture of the instructors that also affects the way the instuctor molded their students. Thus, students are having culture shock, closed to new system by embracing the culture that was embedded by instructors or educational institution he/she came from. This culture shock and unopenness to new methods of teaching are two of the significant concern of this article.
    Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:With what Sir Gary has to say about self-awareness, I do believe too that before trying to adapt or to know something about one person or a culture, you must first have an assessment on your own. Before trying to open up other people’s background, you must first be aware of what you have in you, on what you might share with others, and be aware also that new learnings will be molded in you.

    As what Miss Tuzon said, if transformation is made to you first then leading to transformation of the society, is a result of a social change. Multicultural education can be applicable to Philippine setting as we currently cater education to foreign students. The traditional curriculum can then be revised into culturally driven curriculum, allowing a major transformation for the betterment of the society.

    Sponsored content

    Discussion Forum 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 1

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed 26 Jun 2019, 10:33 am