UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+10
yvette
ianenguerra
sdlopez02
gary.orosa
evancarlo
patmarban
Josh
Divinia Joy Tuzon
luder
Admin
14 posters

Discussion Forum 4

Kriselda Anne Moreno

Discussion Forum 4 - Page 3 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Tue 19 Aug 2008, 1:57 am

No, I did not mean that it would be ineffective. I just thought that maybe if we apply this method immediately, huge adjustments would have to be made, for most of the nursing schools today still use traditional way of learning. But maybe, if slowly introduced, it would effective in the future, and might be of great help in modernizing our current curriculum.

luder wrote:is it your opinion then that the application of the case study method, as presented in the article, to the nursing curriculum would not be that effective?

Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:

Its applicability in the Philippines may be difficult. Here, we still rely in the traditional way of learning, like going to school everyday, and make teacher-student conversation. Applying this method immediately may require a lot of adjustment in the part of the teachers and the learners. But at this time, I believe that this method is slowly introduced in our education system. By allowing us to do case presentations alone, present it to the class, and make modifications in it for polishing.

Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 19 Aug 2008, 1:58 am

Wow.. Thanks Sir Luther. I'm glad you were able to appreciate it! Very Happy

luder wrote:this takes the cake! kinurot ang puso ko with this one.

Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

"Physicians cure. Nurses care."

Josh wrote:If there are cases like that, it is an opportunity for us, nurses-educator, to grab the opportunity to teach caring and utmost reverence to life of our patient. Doctors are not basis for genuine care but nurses are. do you agree?
    luder wrote:In your opinion, is it ethical (from our previous article) to you use cases regarding doctor's indifference with patients as a point of discussion of non-caring behavior in class?

Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Tue 19 Aug 2008, 1:59 am

I agree. There are actually nurses who do not "care" for their patients the way they have to. And doctors who care for their patients more than the nurses do.

yvette wrote:ouch! my apologies, but i got hurt with the generalization. I think there are physicians who handle their patients with care. Let us not label people. I think there are nurses by profession who do not even care!
    I think both doctors and nurses provides care in their little and different ways.

Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

Josh wrote:If there are cases like that, it is an opportunity for us, nurses-educator, to grab the opportunity to teach caring and utmost reverence to life of our patient. Doctors are not basis for genuine care but nurses are. do you agree?
    luder wrote:In your opinion, is it ethical (from our previous article) to you use cases regarding doctor's indifference with patients as a point of discussion of non-caring behavior in class?

silva731

Post  silva731 Tue 19 Aug 2008, 1:59 am

Sorry for the late post….

What I really learned from this paper is that as an educator, case studies could really provide a positive and engaging experience for students, but if this will not be guided properly, they may not necessarily promote concept learning.

Case study is a constructivist pedagogy that can address some of the problems facing higher education here in our country. This method could enhance the student’s interest and focuses on what is relevant about the subject, and still our aim is to improve learning.

What really caught my attention are the three established principles about learning that can be used to promote educational reform. This is just what we have learned in instructional design that first, students come to the room with different conceptions based on previous knowledge. Second, there is development of competency in a discipline that requires a deep foundation of factual knowledge. Third, Students can learn to take control of their own learning through the metacognitive approaches that define the learning goals and help them assess their progress.

This paper showed me how these three concepts can help educators design interesting learning experience for their students with the use of cases.
    yvette

Post  yvette Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:06 am

thanks ms moreno
    Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:I agree. There are actually nurses who do not "care" for their patients the way they have to. And doctors who care for their patients more than the nurses do.

yvette wrote:ouch! my apologies, but i got hurt with the generalization. I think there are physicians who handle their patients with care. Let us not label people. I think there are nurses by profession who do not even care!
    I think both doctors and nurses provides care in their little and different ways.

Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

Smile Smile
    luder

Post  luder Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:09 am

ladies and gentlemen, i would like to apologize.

i have to call it a night, unfortunately.

let me leave the forum with this final question for your consumption.

we value all our experiences and the experiences of others because this is one way of enriching our lives in the future. my question is, what is your favorite color?

im just messin' with you! Very Happy

seriously, this is a very difficult teaching method. would you consider using this in your practice? and im not talking ideal. with the way things are in our schools, what are the possibilities?

thank you guys for a lovely discussion! keep it alive!
    luder

Post  luder Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:12 am

in what way can educators make learning interesting by using the case study method?

silva731 wrote:Sorry for the late post….

What I really learned from this paper is that as an educator, case studies could really provide a positive and engaging experience for students, but if this will not be guided properly, they may not necessarily promote concept learning.

Case study is a constructivist pedagogy that can address some of the problems facing higher education here in our country. This method could enhance the student’s interest and focuses on what is relevant about the subject, and still our aim is to improve learning.

What really caught my attention are the three established principles about learning that can be used to promote educational reform. This is just what we have learned in instructional design that first, students come to the room with different conceptions based on previous knowledge. Second, there is development of competency in a discipline that requires a deep foundation of factual knowledge. Third, Students can learn to take control of their own learning through the metacognitive approaches that define the learning goals and help them assess their progress.

This paper showed me how these three concepts can help educators design interesting learning experience for their students with the use of cases.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:21 am

I’m sorry Ms. Yvette but it’s not my intention to offend anyone. Just what I’ve said, I’m not generalizing and labeling people here. If you were able to read my other comments, I also pointed out that the doctors play a really noble profession in our society. Also, I am aware that there are also nurses who aren’t as caring as they should be. However, if we are to consider the foundations of both profession – both their theories and practice, it is really the nurse who is involve in the caring process. Although I also stressed the significance of our doctors showing care to our patients, honestly I have never heard of “Medicine as a caring profession.” I even tried searching it on the internet but I could not find any.. Again, I don’t want to hurt or upset anyone. I appreciate your truthfulness Ms. Yvette. But again, it is just my point of view.

Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

silva731

Post  silva731 Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:32 am

case study can make learning interesting for students because we use real life situations that could promote or teach the concept we would like them to learn.

As what the paper have said that students come to the room with different knowledge and for all we know these knowledge might resist change if we do not use or relate them to real life situation as structured in a case study method of teaching.

This will be interesting to them because they learn with the utilization of their previous knowledge and structured in a way that it will promote learning and gaining the right knowledge.

luder wrote:in what way can educators make learning interesting by using the case study method?

Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:52 am

Good Morning! The article emphasizes the effectiveness of the case study method and their effect on student’s learning. I believe that the 3 principles is obviously being done in nursing school’s today because we have been familiar and accustomed to having case studies since our early college years and until our major subjects like RLE in having our case presentation.

The extent of the practice and implementation of our nursing faculty staffs regarding case studies, I believe that their skill in applying the concept varies. I have observed that many professors are not that experienced in the area of teaching and assessing the student’s prior knowledge and reinforcing knowledge that needs validation or correction from the teachers. Further preparation and mastery of the process involves experience and knowledge on the application of the pedagogy in teaching.

However, the use of the principles will truly impact teaching and student’s learning. Being exposed to the actual scenario will truly allow students explore and learn throughout the process. Assessing their prior knowledge regarding the topic that needs to be discussed is very important because it sets the stage where teachers derive their idea of where to start and what to include in the discussion.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:54 am

Hello everyone. Just to prove that I have nothing against doctors or the medical profession, I tried searching any articles mentioning medicine as a caring behavior. Earlier, I’ve said I could not find any. I would just like to share what I was able to find out. The site was pertaining to medicine as a caring behavior. However it’s just stated as a part of the Dress Code of the University of Missouri-Kansas City School of Medicine nothing really descriptive.. Good night everyone, God Bless us all!

5. “Medicine, as a caring profession, would be expected to foster an attitude of concern for the well being of individual members of the group and for the reputation of the group as a whole. When a person belonging to the institution displays behavior, including appearance, unbecoming of the profession of medicine, it would be incumbent on the other members of the institution to guide, counsel and/or assist the person demonstrating such behavior. Students, faculty, and staff will be expected to respond appropriately to constructive criticism. An individual with concerns about the appearance of another may consider utilizing a third party (i.e. class officer, ETC’s or faculty member, etc.) to express concern.”

“UMKC – School of Medicine Dress Code”. Article retrieved August 18, 2008 from http://www.umkc.edu/medicine/sa/Dress%20Code.htm
    ianenguerra

Post  ianenguerra Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:55 am

sorry for the delayed response.... busy (at work)

Case study method can be used as a creative alternative to traditional approaches to description, emphasizing the patient's perspective as central to the process. According to one of my citation it is hypothesized that nursing students in the psychiatric rotation will benefit from using a case study approach, rather than a traditional medical-surgical approach, in applying the nursing process in the clinical setting. The benefits will include: transferring theory knowledge into the clinical area, understanding and retention of psychiatric concepts explored in the case study, participating actively in the learning process, incorporating learned interventions skills in actual practice setting, fostering critical thinking skills in the writing of a case study, and fostering the development of a therapeutic relationship between the student and patient based upon a deep understanding of the life of a patient

Ref.
    Geraldine Even , The Use of the Case Study Method in Psychiatric Nursing, Nursing Faculty, Oakland Community College gmeven@oaklandcc.edu

luder wrote:i see your point it would really depend on the topic. thank you for clarifying this.

yvette wrote:in my opinion, nursing case presentations would fall to neither the three mentioned specific types of case studies depending on the topic or case. For example, community case presentations are oftentimes an exploratory type. cases in the ccu unit are most often an explanatory one.
    luder wrote:where would nursing case presentations fall under?

ianenguerra wrote:

Yin in 1993 has identified some specific types of case studies: Exploratory, Explanatory, and Descriptive. Exploratory cases are sometimes considered as a prelude to social research. Explanatory case studies may be used for doing causal investigations. Descriptive cases require a descriptive theory to be developed before starting the project.

Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano Tue 19 Aug 2008, 2:57 am

Case studies really does make learning interesting for students. Exposing them to real life situations help them think critically and learn so many things along the process. Student's prior knowledge varies from life experiences and past learningsthat occur. Group case studies may be a way to let students learn with and among their peers effectively.

silva731 wrote:case study can make learning interesting for students because we use real life situations that could promote or teach the concept we would like them to learn.

As what the paper have said that students come to the room with different knowledge and for all we know these knowledge might resist change if we do not use or relate them to real life situation as structured in a case study method of teaching.

This will be interesting to them because they learn with the utilization of their previous knowledge and structured in a way that it will promote learning and gaining the right knowledge.

luder wrote:in what way can educators make learning interesting by using the case study method?

silva731

Post  silva731 Tue 19 Aug 2008, 3:01 am

case study can be presented in a class in many different ways. it all dpends on the creativity of the teacher. If we will structly follow the format that we use in our RLE before, that will be ver hard to implement. Still, the teachers ingenuity in utilizing the case study concept is important. we know the concept, now, lets think out of the box.

luder wrote:ladies and gentlemen, i would like to apologize.

we value all our experiences and the experiences of others because this is one way of enriching our lives in the future. my question is, what is your favorite color?

seriously, this is a very difficult teaching method. would you consider using this in your practice? and im not talking ideal. with the way things are in our schools, what are the possibilities?

Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano Tue 19 Aug 2008, 3:13 am

Most definately I would very much like to apply this pedagogical approach sooner or later in my teaching practice. Student's differ and i guess the decision will be up to us to decide when to use this type of methos. When we assessed that our students
    need learning that will best benefit from applying case method in teaching, I will definately use this approach.. Smile

silva731 wrote:case study can be presented in a class in many different ways. it all dpends on the creativity of the teacher. If we will structly follow the format that we use in our RLE before, that will be ver hard to implement. Still, the teachers ingenuity in utilizing the case study concept is important. we know the concept, now, lets think out of the box.

evancarlo

Post  evancarlo Tue 19 Aug 2008, 6:00 am

Sorry for the late reply due to technical difficulty last night. Case presentations are giving out information bytheory and by their own past knowledge. The case method study is an approach to let students learn using their past experiences on the given cases and how would they perceive the given knowledge. 'Coz some of them may see that case in different perspective. I agree with sir gary that we need to first assess the students capability to further enhanced their knowledge on the subject matter, therefore facilitating learning.

luder wrote:do you not consider the case presentations we did in nursing school as an offshoot of the case study method? if not a modification in the least?

evancarlo wrote:

The case method approach is seldom used in the Philippines because most of our educators are still using the traditional way and some of them are having a hard time using the approach. That's the challenge for us, to facilitate learning to our students in a way they can appreciate it more.

evancarlo

Post  evancarlo Tue 19 Aug 2008, 6:11 am

Definitely, the possibilities are great. Especially now, the nursing community is fast growing in numers, and as an educator, it will be a challenge for us how to deliver the quality care in a large classroom. From hereon, this is where we apply the knowledge we gained after thinking outside the box. Yes, it will be much difficult. specially dependent on how did you apply the approach based from set goals and objectives but on the contrary, very much effective bec not all students you will teach will be pleased on the information you have provided, In this way, they can learn on their own with our guidance that is suitable to their cognition and reasoning stage that is guided by our goals and objectives

Cristina Mariano wrote:Most definately I would very much like to apply this pedagogical approach sooner or later in my teaching practice. Student's differ and i guess the decision will be up to us to decide when to use this type of methos. When we assessed that our students
    need learning that will best benefit from applying case method in teaching, I will definately use this approach.. Smile

silva731 wrote:case study can be presented in a class in many different ways. it all dpends on the creativity of the teacher. If we will structly follow the format that we use in our RLE before, that will be ver hard to implement. Still, the teachers ingenuity in utilizing the case study concept is important. we know the concept, now, lets think out of the box.

Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano Tue 19 Aug 2008, 6:51 am

A pleasant morning! Reading all the entries last night, it gives us one thing,
    that case study method of instruction often times develop our students’
    interest on the subject matter and later on focuses them on the relevance of the subject matter. As an educator the main concern is to use this method to improve our student’s learning.

Utilizing this method requires mastery on the subject matter and bags of preparation. Meaning it is very tedious in the part of educator and learner. On the other hand, using this method will benefit both of them, since the educator will teach his students how to learn effectively and the learner will get the picture of the whole scenario that would make him understand
    the subject.

Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 19 Aug 2008, 7:02 am

With all sincerity, let me first say that I'm really learning a lot from this program.. I appreciate now the purpose of online class and surprisingly I find myself even enjoying it (though I have to admit that it can be tiring too). Though I'm still not as motivated as all of you to become an educator in the near future, who knows the possibilites? However, I'm really eager to put into practice everything that I've learned and will be learning in the process (whether as a staff nurse, a clinical instructor, and even as an MSN student). Of course it will be difficult at first - applying the right concepts using the right approach for the right circumstances. But that is the real challenge! Life is all about facing challenges every single day anyway. When you are able to achieve something others say you can never do, that makes success even better and sweeter..

[/quote]
    Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano Tue 19 Aug 2008, 7:11 am

Case study pedagogy is not a new in the Philippines setting.
    Case study pedagogy itself is very old -- as old as the ancient
    storytellers who told a narrative (case) to promote children's individual dis­covery of wisdom, knowledge of the surrounding world, and development of the thought processes of survival. The goals of storytelling in those ancient cultures were similar to our goals in using case studies today: to foster critical thinking and reflection so that students learn how to learn on their own. (McDade 2001).

As an undergrad before, I believe that benefited a lot from case
    study pedagogy, since it prompt the learner to think critically and learn on
    real life scenarios.

Reference:
    Sharon A. McDade.
    (2001). Case Study Pedagogy to Advance Critical Thinking. Electronic material. Retrieved
    August 18, 2008 from http://www.questia.com/googleScholar.qst?docId=77008923
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue 19 Aug 2008, 7:15 am

Good work!...your insights are becoming extremely interesting. Now, let us challenge ourselves even more. See you in the next forum

Jesson

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 28 Mar 2024, 8:50 pm