Pregnant Hepatitis B carriers should be advised to
• Obtain vaccination against hepatitis viruses A as indicated.
• Abstain form alcohol use
• Avoid hepatotoxic drugs such as acetaminophen (Tylenol) that may worsen liver damage.
• Not donate blood, body organs, other tissue, or semen.
• Not share any personal items that may have blood on them (e.g., toothbrushes and razors).
• Inform the infant’s pediatrician, OB/GYN, and labor staff that they are a hepatitis B carrier.
• Make sure their baby receives hepatitis B vaccine at birth, one month, and six months of age as well as H-BIG at birth.
• Be seen at least annualy by their regular medical doctor.
• Discuss the risk for transmission with their partner and discuss the need for counseling and testing
b. Liver function testing is recommended for women who test positive for HBsAg