E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

Discussion Paper about article "Diseases of a thesis"

chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Discussion Paper about  article "Diseases of a thesis" Empty Discussion Paper about article "Diseases of a thesis"

Post  chel_calvelo on Tue 21 Sep 2010, 7:55 pm

Does a Brilliant, Artistic mind comes with a Mental illness?

Everyone of us in this world has dreams and ambitions we look up to. We find ways on how to achieve them and dedicate ourselves to this things. Having this ambitions gives us the desire to be a better person and inspire us with our everyday living. But what if one has too much ambition?, too much desire? and too much expectations?, that this ambitions will soon be his reality, will one be able to handle the pressure?, or one might just have fraud paranoia?.
    After reading the article “Diseases of the thesis” by Chris Fleming, a certain question keep circling in my head, how could someone smart like the writers and researchers acquire such rare mental illnesses and ending up torturing themselves because of too much desire for more knowledge.
    Many experts believe that a career on writing may magnify the symptoms of mental illness. Usually writers works alone and when they began to fall into depression, they don’t have any person to rely on not like in a regular work setting which has co-workers to support them. Mental illness is not easily discussed or admitted. It takes a strong person to recognize the symptoms that quite often sneak up on you, and then to boldly seek treatment for something that you would rather be kept personal. The media does not often go easy on famous writers, actors or artists that have been diagnosed with some type of mental disorder, and when they do seek help they are often looked upon as a nut case or remembered for their troubles rather than their success (Granato, 2006).
    Many well-known artists, writers and musicians suffered from mental illnesses. Some of them become so depressed that they even committed suicide to end their pain and sufferings. Several studies shows that these people are more prone to have various kind of mental illnesses such as mood disorders, schizophrenia, bipolar disorder, etc. due to strong creative capabilities. Many researchers that have surveyed people with creative minds speculate that mood disorders allow people to think more creatively. In fact, one of the criteria for diagnosing mania includes sharpened and unusually creative thinking. Mood disorder usually go along with deep emotions and feelings (Granato, 2006).
    One example of is Virginia Woolf, an English author, feminist, essayist, publisher, and critic wrote A Room of One’s Own (1929). She had a bipolar disorder in which she experienced periods of convalescence, withdrawing from her busy social life, distressed that she could not focus long enough to read or write. She spent times in nursing homes for ‘rest cures’, she said she heard voices and had visions.
    Studies have concluded that famous writers are particularly prone to mental illness, with an average percentage set at 72%. The National Empowerment Center, the National Alliance on Mental illness and the National Institute of Mental Illness are three consumer based groups which work hard to educate consumers (patients with mental illness), their families and the community on the truth about recovery. It is a long hard road and the patient require a lot of support as well as a personal willingness to get well. Scientists and doctors are currently conducting long term studies with the hope that they will be able to show that recovery from a mental health disorder is impossible.

References:

1. www.online-literature.com/virginia_woolf

2. Granato, S. (2006, December 5). The common link between writers and mental illness. http://www.associatedcontent.com/article/93764/the_common_link_between_writers_mental.html?cat=5

3. http://www.depression-guide.com/famous-people.htm

4. Allwynn, G.(2010, July 19). Writers and Mental Illness: Is there a relation? http://wickedwriters.com/2010/07/19/writers-and-mental-illness-is-there-a-relation/

5. Simon, G. (2009, September 21). Creativity and Mental Illness: The ‘Mad Genius’. http://counsellingresource.com/features/2009/09/21/creativity-and-mental-illness/

[url][/url]
    AC Ver
    AC Ver

Discussion Paper about  article "Diseases of a thesis" Empty Re: Discussion Paper about article "Diseases of a thesis"

Post  AC Ver on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 10:42 am

With what you've discussed I remembered the cliche' that you cannot have the best of everything. You may be good at something and yet you may experience certain consequences of it. Given the demands of thesis writing, I think it is really inevitable if some experience depression while in the process of doing it. I was truly surprised to know that studies have concluded that famous writers are particularly prone to mental illness with 72% of them experiencing it. Shocked It is very alarming. I think, now that we're also in the same position, writers in making a thesis, we can prevent depression by knowing that we're not alone in the process. Thesis writing is a methodology, meaning there are steps that we can follow to make the experience of making one much easier.It is also a relief to know that we have advisers that we can ask questions from. Furthermore, there are the foremost researches that have been published that can guide us in our developing of ideas. Lastly, we have our colleagues to whom we can share our experience and difficulties we are encountering. Most of the time it helps when we talk to someone who is going through the same thing we are into. Surprised
    PriNcE RJ
    PriNcE RJ

Discussion Paper about  article "Diseases of a thesis" Empty Re: Discussion Paper about article "Diseases of a thesis"

Post  PriNcE RJ on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 11:32 am

It seems to me that you have already accepted and inculcated in yourself the belief that, yes, writers would go nuts at a certain point in time. Am I getting the wrong idea here? What a Face

I would like to poke on this statement of yours: "After reading the article “Diseases of the thesis” by Chris Fleming, a certain question keep circling in my head, how could someone smart like the writers and researchers acquire such rare mental illnesses and ending up torturing themselves because of too much desire for more knowledge?"

I believe that stopping from seeking and desiring more knowledge is the best torture for great writers, researchers and scientists for that matter. It's like taking away their purpose in life. Pardon me for my citation but I think this is one of the best statements I've heard so far in relation to desiring for knowledge: "There is no such thing as perfect in this world. That may sound cliché, but its the truth. The average person admires perfection and seeks to obtain it. But what's the point of achieving perfection? There is none. Nothing. Not a single thing. I loathe perfection! If something is perfect, then there is nothing left. There is no room for imagination. No place left for that person to gain additional knowledge or abilities. Do you know what that means? For scientists such as us, perfection only brings despair. It is our job to create things more wonderful than anything before them, but never to obtain perfection. A scientist must be a person who finds ecstasy while suffering from that antinomy. In short, the moment that foolishness left your mouth and reached my ears, you had already lost. Of course, that's assuming you are a scientist." (Mayuri Kurotsuchi, from the anime Bleach) Very Happy

Last edited by PriNcE RJ on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 2:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Discussion Paper about  article "Diseases of a thesis" Empty Discussion Paper about article "Diseases of a thesis"

Post  chel_calvelo on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 1:29 pm

@ac ver- i affirm with your statement because I'm also surprised about the statistics I've read that 72% of them are prone to mental illnesses. As a thesis writer also in the future i think we are also prone to these illnesses but with the help of our family, advisers, friends and colleagues we can be able to surpass this. Laughing For me, depression is a normal thing to experience when writing a thesis specially when your research proposal is not acceptable and will all go to waste!. Crying or Very sad But rejection is a lesson and you can always learn from it!! Razz
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 1:50 pm

@rj- Maybe your statements are correct. But for me, I think desiring for too much knowledge is not important at all. How can you improve if you are already perfect it is also the same as how can you learn if you already have all the knowledge in this world. But i can't blame those writers, researchers and scientist who go nuts just to have the knowledge they want cause i myself at some point in my life also desired to have more knowledge so that i can have the edge to other people. Thanks for the comment!. cheers Laughing
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 2:44 pm

Writers and scientist always look for perfection. Even though everybody knows nobody and nothing is perfect. That is the reason why most of them have gone crazy, the basis why the statistics on mental illness involving writers is very high. Writers always aspire for perfection. They tend to preoccupy themselves with unreasonable beliefs they only assume they have. I think the problem with writers is they don't know how to slow down. They lack the ability to suppress and repress their frustrations and depressions. Perhaps, it can be a lesson for us. Whenever we feel useless and hopeless with how our work goes, voice it out. Criticism hurts, but it does help. Discuss it with someone. That is what advisers, classmates and friends are for
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 10:32 pm

Thanks for the comment rose ann. Razz I agree with your statement that writers don't know how to slow down that's why there is a high rate of mental illnesses involving writers. Because of their desire to gain more knowledge immediately they tend to force themselves and eventually gone crazy!. No I think voicing out is a big help!
    We may encounter these illnesses as we go on with our thesis writing but with the help of our support system we can be able to surpass it! Razz All those depressions, frustrations and rejections we will experience as we go along will act as a lesson for us and we can always learn from it. jocolor
    AntonJayTan
    AntonJayTan

Post  AntonJayTan on Wed 22 Sep 2010, 10:38 pm

Good article you had ms.rachel. In my own point of view, it seems that Mr. Fleming is indeed right.So we better cope well in writing our thesis Very Happy. And after all we learn from others experience so its good to know this facts from the articles we wrote Very Happy
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah on Fri 24 Sep 2010, 3:32 pm

“Many experts believe that a career on writing may magnify the symptoms of mental illness. Usually writers works alone and when they began to fall into depression, they don’t have any person to rely on not like in a regular work setting which has co-workers to support them”
    I do believe in this statement, since writing is their career in life, they put much attention and time on their work. And most of the time they work alone so that they could come up with a good write-up. I would have to say that the difference between a writer and ordinary people like us is that we have support systems that we can depend on when we experience depression. And coping mechanisms help us surpass the trails that come along the way. I think that these factors can help us not to have mental illnesses that writers do have.
    aimee
    aimee

Post  aimee on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 9:49 am

I strongly agree that there is a common link between writers and mental illness. There is actually a fine line between creativity and madness. Some say artsy types are prone to mental illness and others argue that it is the other way around.
    The world was made perfect with balance and equilibrium. So I guess, anything that is lacking or in excess will lead to a problem. May it be in thesis writing or the likes, It is therefore important that we maintain balance in all aspects of life. Let me end my post by saying "May the force be with you".

tongue
    maricca_18
    maricca_18

Post  maricca_18 on Tue 28 Sep 2010, 11:10 am

for me, in able to prevent this kind of this disease. we must balance our life. for me, it is good to gain knowledge our own, but we also need time to interact with others so we can learn from them and we can share something to them what we know.
    mariekathleensantos

Post  mariekathleensantos on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 12:45 am

I was bothered on the facts you presented. There might be a thin line between creativity and madness but i definitely agree with maricca.. We should find balance in everything we do... be attached to reality and for me going beyond your limitations especially in acquiring and exploring new knowledge would lead you to success particularly in the dimension of scholars... study
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 4:21 pm

one of the questions in my post was the same as yours-> if being too wise/intelligent/clever has something to do with being insane.......

although, studies have shown that most of the admirable great people are in the quandary of mental illness, i can not completely agree for some reasons.... Embarassed

for me, just like what maricca said, balance is indeed important...

yes, the work they engaged in greatly affects their mental status....,but it's the person's capacity of handling things that should have a greater consideration... More on HOW he can rather than WHAT he can...there is no issue on what he can do, but what is important is how he is as a person, regardless of work/job he has... i'm talking about the person's foundation, which involve all the complexities about him as a person.

therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 on Wed 29 Sep 2010, 5:15 pm

in order for a person to be healthy, he or she should eat a balanced diet. same thing with adapting effectively to our internal and external environment - homeostasis. i think one problem of writers is their eagerness to finish immediately what they're writing and then, they ended up in reading depression and fraud paranoia. writing a thesis in particular, is a step by step process for you to be able to come with a wothy published thesis.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Oct 2019, 4:21 pm