UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+8
AntonJayTan
Charis Juan
edliwag
chel_calvelo
cezzy
AC Ver
ylaganroidah
khayee_07
12 posters

Authentic Leadership---How to be one?

aimee
    aimee

Authentic Leadership---How to be one? Empty Re: Authentic Leadership---How to be one?

Post  aimee Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:32 pm

Had I not read anything about authentic leadership , I would have derived my personal definition of the theory from the root word authentic which means conforming to fact and therefore worthy of trust. When we buy goods and ask for authenticity we look for signs or emblems that prove its originality -one of a kind.

I guess, I have shown leadership skills even when I was still small during my pre-school years. Gaining people's trust not only in school but also at home where people would entrust and delegate responsibilities to me maybe a sign that I have leadership potentials.

Several factors should be considered to become effective leader. One can have the qualities of a good leader but other forces can affect ones performance. Such as corruption, red tape etc. Our country is flooded with great leaders but we lack authentic ones.
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Authentic Leadership---How to be one? Empty SYNTHESIS

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:18 pm

SYNTHESIS

Authentic leadership was defined from one theory to the other in various ways but with congruencies. It is thought to involve most of the inner attributes of individual such as knowing oneself, transparency in every actions whether good or bad, and natural capacity to build a harmonious relationship with others.

Authentic leaders are as guided by qualities of the heart, by passion and compassion, as they are by qualities of the mind. Leaders are all very different people. Any prospective leader who buys into the necessity of attempting to emulate all the characteristics of a leader is doomed to fail (George 2003).

This paper then would like to find out of what we think about an authentic leader, how we perceive and assess effectiveness of such leadership, and what we think are necessary for such system to work; with consideration of how we see and make our judgment before as compared now…

The following questions were asked:

1. Assuming that you didn’t read any article re leadership, in your own definition, what is authentic leadership?
    2. When was the time you actually became a leader?
    3. In terms of leadership, and relating with the current events in our country today, what do you think is needed for a system to work?

Based from the questions above, this paper would like to know in what sense do we see leadership today.

From the data I have gathered, most of the responses explicated leadership as being true to oneself and others, being able to lead, build trust and further build harmonious relationship that is thought to result in a well-coordinated and fruitful companionship that aim for only one goal established by all the members of the team.
    When asked about leadership experiences, as observed from the responses, most answered a definite time that they became leader of a group; particularly during their secondary and tertiary level. But only few mentioned that they became leaders of their own selves. This is a very observable dilemma, wherein once an individual is asked about a certain situation; he/she tends to see things in a greater perspective rather than analyzing the specific and simple ones. Like in this case, we tend to ignore, forget or not include for that matter our leadership experience for our own selves: being the leaders of our own dreams, our own decisions, and our own future without necessity of considering others for an act would affect none but us…

“We claim we’ve been leaders of others, but we seldom assert becoming a leader for our own…”

May I just cite one of the responses: “Leadership can happen at any age, any time and at any place”.

Responses also showed that collaboration, cooperation and communication are important for a system to work… Emphasis on the role and responsibility of both the leader and the follower was made.
    Much have been focused on studying qualities necessary for a leader and how he should reach out to his followers; but less has focused on what qualities are necessary for the followers and how they should reach out to the leader, without the thought of who should start and make an effort first because they see it as a responsibility to be assumed by everybody being part of a system.

For such system to work, its main component which is the people must function well. There should be equality in terms of responsibilities and tasks. How much we expect from a leader should be the same in the case of the follower. No one should take the burden alone but instead, as a team, they must operate as one. Each must assume a great responsibility of leadership in their own ways, by acting upon the influence of the notion of “how it feels to be in that position”…

“Leaders are more of a facilitator and partner of their followers.”

I should say that authentic leadership would only take place if each of us will learn to assume the qualities of a leader, not by any means forcing ourselves to become someone or act as if you’re the exact one; but rather letting our innate capacities and personas evolve, as we reach maturity in our dispositions and judgment in life…

I personally feel that because of so many changes and happenings that continue to occur in our community today, we keep on seeking solutions to address dilemmas that arise, interrelating every event we encounter, and then come to exhaustion with too much ideas and terminologies, only to find out that we’re lost from what we only ought and suppose to know…

Just like in leadership, in my own point of view, much have been said about what and how to be an authentic leader when we only have to know who is right or not, and distinguish from good and bad…

We have the best leaders from the past; but they don’t have much of what we have now in terms of expectations, notions about leadership and researches. What they only have are their selves, who are willing to serve and help to achieve a common goal. Each of them has their distinctive ways, styles, and belief about a good leader, but they all succeeded in their quests…

I think each of us is unique… each of us has our own culture and principle… our moral and ethical dilemmas vary… Our personality and totality as a person is the product of the complexities and differences of every aspect in life. We have our own belief as individual; and our own norms at home, separate from that of our community, our country, and from the rest of the world. So, perception regarding authenticity and effectiveness of a leader is individualized, what’s important is to make a connection between differences that were possessed.

Bill George, (2004), Becoming an Authentic Leader; Volume 13 Number 1

Bob Terry (2010), Authentic Leadership: Courage in Action, Chapter 6

Kevin Cashman, (1998), Leadership: from the inside out
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Authentic Leadership---How to be one? Empty Re: Authentic Leadership---How to be one?

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:09 pm

PriNcE RJ wrote:Oh my...I really bloated my stomach with gas when I saw your tally! lol!

Honestly, I'm quite confused why the word Authentic was used in coining the term Authentic leadership when it requires so much prototypical traits and skills to be manifested.

I have never been a leader in just one point of my life. Every first born child would affirm with me i think. When I actually reflect on it, it's as if that everyday I am a leader...with all modesty aside. I think everyone is too! Just by being a nurse, you become a forerunner to your patients every moment you demonstrate skills for them or do health teaching. Cool

yeah right ARjay! i tallied the results literally that way 'cause i wanted to just outline the majority's perspective about authentic leadership, and from that i can draw my assertions...! rabbit i knew it! at least one of you would react the way i did my outline! afro bounce lol!

anyway, i think too much notions and expectations were linked to authenticity in a leader making some of the readers confused... and definitely, we've been leaders in our own ways.... bom

Last edited by khayee_07 on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:33 pm; edited 1 time in total
    PriNcE RJ
    PriNcE RJ

Post  PriNcE RJ Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:46 pm

Oh my...I really bloated my stomach with gas when I saw your tally! lol!

Anyway, in answering your questions... clown

Assuming that you didn’t read any article re leadership, in your own definition, what is authentic leadership?

Authentic leadership, from how the word "authentic" was defined, would be a leader with no specific exemplary qualities or requirements. It says that being authentic is being true to yourself right? So basically, you just lead by example without restraining yourself from what is morally right or quintessential for the public. Honestly, I'm quite confused why the word Authentic was used in coining the term Authentic leadership when it requires so much prototypical traits and skills to be manifested.

When was the time you actually became a leader?

The values of authentic leaders are shaped by their personal beliefs and developed through introspection, consultation with others, and years of experience. (George B., 2006)

I have never been a leader in just one point of my life. Every first born child would affirm with me i think. When I actually reflect on it, it's as if that everyday I am a leader...with all modesty aside. I think everyone is too! Just by being a nurse, you become a forerunner to your patients every moment you demonstrate skills for them or do health teaching. Cool

In terms of leadership, and relating with the current events in our country today, what do you think is needed for a system to work?

Change is the only constant thing in this world...nuff said.
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Post  kristineaajuan Fri 22 Oct 2010, 10:57 am

Assuming that I haven't read any article regarding authentic leadership, I would think that authentic leadership is being a TRUE leader. It's not that there is a fake leader, but there are some who hide under a mask and doesn't show who they really are. Like in our country nowadays, some politicians claim that they came from a low profile family etcetera just to win the hearts of our less fortunate countrymen and when they win the elections you wont see them making laws or doing activities for the less fortunate. For me that is not a good reflection of a leader.
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:02 am

TALLY

ylaganroidah
    LEADER- moderator, follower’s freedom of choice, trust, being true to self, becoming open, relationship
    SECOND YEAR BECAME A LEADER
    SYTEM- collaboration between leader and follower

AC Ver
    LEADER -knowing self, awareness, transparency, importance of goal, relationship, trust, motivator
    BECOME LEADER IN WORK BUT CLAIM THAT IN SIMPLE WAYS WE CAN BE A LEADER
    SYSTEM- aspire for change, self awareness, ethical and moral aspects should be noted

cezzy
    LEADER - true to self; with ability to lead
    BECAME LEADE IN PINNING CEREMONY
    SYSTEM- Consideration of the permission of follower perpetual to a person, significance of follower in terms of needs not duties

chel_calvelo
    LEADER -being the best that you can, true to self, trust and understanding people around you
    LEADER AS A PSYCHIATRIC NURSE
    SYSTEM- pointed out the responsibility of followers too

edliwag
    SYSTEM- principle and desire to serve

Charis Juan
    LEADER- pointed out that can be aleader at any age, time and place tha impact others
    SYSTEM-Consideration of cultural diversities, differences in setting, organizational structure was considerd for system

AntonJayTan
    LEADER- inspiring and bringing out the best
    SYSTEM- cooperation

therese_132409

LEADER- being true
    BECOME A LEADER ON HIGHSCHOOL
    SYSTEM- trust, collaboration, not solely the leader to work but also the member; Wholeness-comprise all its subpart

khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:59 am

therese_132409 wrote: it's not only the individual who will solely work but all parts or members to make a thing whole and complete.

this remind me of one of the nursing theories, where in treating the whole is important than its parts...

from your statement, i agree that each member, including the leader should work as one, equally.... none has to be burned out by all the tasks, but each should have an equal responsibility and task to accomplish in the achievement of their goals...
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:55 am

AntonJayTan wrote:I believe that leadership is inspiring and bringing out the best among the people you know.

i find your definition simple but striking and indeed true!
    being able to inspire people is something that brings various effect and impact on how followers would comply and cooperate with you as a leader; and how in the end, will the outcome be affected...
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:52 am

Charis Juan wrote:
    A person can be a leader at any time, at any age, and in any place, when he is able to make decisions that make an impact on others and to encourage others to participate or commit to develop themselves.

a leader, with his traits of integrity, altruism, ethics, trust, and a true concern for others, has to be able to translate effectively these values into action considering a host of other factors, such as the culture of the people in the area, the organizational structure, the system under which he is working, etc.

it is true, that each of us has the capacity to be a leader at any given point of time, and place which would either impact others or ourselves alone to make responsible actions and decisions on our own...

consideration of diversity in culture should be made in order for such action to be acceptable and applicable. i think cultural differences play an important role on how standards and belief about an authentic leader is affected, and how one should act in accord with the norms of the people you are working with...
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:45 am

edliwag wrote:
    I have come to the conclusion that this model will be simply be overwhelmed with the flawed system that we have in our country.

i agree with your claim... i guess, right now, no such model was effective enough to address current leadership problems we have, but not to blame it to the model itself for that matter; instead the problems are the people who participate in the system... i think, no matter how good a model or framework is, if people were close minded to accept and utilize such, no model will be effective...
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:38 am

chel_calvelo wrote: terms and ideas are not that necessary to be an authentic leader. For me authentic leadership is being the best that you can
    For a system to work, it depends on what kind of leaders and followers we have. It’s not fair to just leave the task to the leaders but we should take into considerations the characteristics of the followers. If you are the most authentic leader in the world but you have those followers that can’t even take their responsibility, a system will not work at all. Wink flower

i kept nodding while reading your comments... true enough that responsibility expected from a leader should be in some ways the same with that of the followers... if expectations were raised from a leader, it should be the case as well among the followers....
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:34 am

cezzy wrote:
    leader is as effective as the followers will permit. In his book, "The Power of followership" asserts that few people have studied followership; instead the attention has always been on leadership. If leaders are to create successful organizations they must recognize that followers are the most essential resource the organization has and that only by understanding the needs of their followers can they achieve organizational success.

i agree with your assertion, that effectiveness of a leader would only occur if permitted by his subordinates. role of the followers is indeed less studied and emphasized, particularly their role not as beneficiaries but rather as benefactors...
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:17 am

AC Ver wrote:
    Authentic leadership, on the way I have understood it, is the ‘knowing-yourself leadership’, wherein you must first have self-awareness before you can reach out to others. Authentic leaders are called to share transparently with their team - they are able to motivate individuals to high levels of performance

I think being a leader can happen to anyone at any given time and even in the most simple ways.

The importance of authentic leadership nowadays is seen while ethical and moral issues continue to arise in the country because a positive moral perspective is fundamental to the theory and as authentic leaders, they are expected to engage in ethical and transparent decision making which is what we lack in our nation- transparency of the leaders and trust from the people.

i agree with what you have stated that an authentic leader is someone who have transparency in his communication with others... also, you've mentioned the role of leader as being a motivator, i think it is a very significant role now a days especially if conflicts arise. both ethical and moral values i believe, are good foundation for a person to become a good leader in the future...
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Thu 21 Oct 2010, 11:46 pm

ylaganroidah wrote: Your values and beliefs are seen in your actions. That you become open and honest in other people and this becomes your basis in building a good relationship with them.

It was secondary level that I used to become a leader in a group.

let them choose what they want for their part. but sometimes I have to moderate the situation if there are already conflicting issues that arise.

I think for the system to work in our country today, knowing all the current events that are happening is the collaboration and communication between leaders and followers.

i think you have emphasized your thoughts well enough. like the others, you accentuated the importance of building a good relationship among followers and consideration of their rights as members (freedom of choice. i felt that you also emphasized a role of a leader that is at its most important which is as moderator and facilitator...
    therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 Thu 21 Oct 2010, 6:09 pm

for me, authentic leadership is being true and compassionate in what you are doing. one who wanted a group to work as one for the same goal or mission in any setting. in my highschool days, mostly i'm the chosen leader in a small group for a short activity like in our recollection. but. it's just for the sake of having a representative of the group who will summarize and report to other groups on what secrets from the past we have revealed to each other. for every system to work for me, the first thing to build and work on is "trust" with each other. it's not right to look merely on the weak or negative side of the leader because we all make mistakes. you cannot conclude or judge a person for a short period that he doesn't really have the capacity to be the leader at all. if you think he has done something wrong, then, make a stand, raise out your opinions, offer help and work on it collaboratively because that's how a system goes. it's not only the individual who will solely work but all parts or members to make a thing whole and complete.
    AntonJayTan
    AntonJayTan

Post  AntonJayTan Thu 21 Oct 2010, 3:10 pm

Thanks for a great article. We have to dig too deeply to find an ample supply of the definition of leadership. And for my own definition of leadership, I believe that leadership is inspiring and bringing out the best among the people you know.

And as for today's government. Living in a democratic country with the president as the head and the people have the right to vote and express their feelings. The only thing that we need is cooperation so that the system would work and will produce a better result.
    Charis Juan

Post  Charis Juan Wed 20 Oct 2010, 11:44 pm

Authentic leadership, to me, is acting according to not only the attributes that a person is born with, but what he has developed in his interactions with people and the environment. I believe several factors shape an individual’s personality, influence his values, and strengthen or weaken his beliefs. Thus, in his struggle to survive and adapt to changes in the environment, he makes decisions that are reflective of what he is. A person can be a leader at any time, at any age, and in any place, when he is able to make decisions that make an impact on others and to encourage others to participate or commit to develop themselves.

In recent times, it is more difficult to say that one leadership style can fit all situations. A leader has to be able to combine certain skills to apply in a situation and not to adapt and use his style to different circumstances. In other words, a leader, with his traits of integrity, altruism, ethics, trust, and a true concern for others, has to be able to translate effectively these values into action considering a host of other factors, such as the culture of the people in the area, the organizational structure, the system under which he is working, etc.
    edliwag

Authentic Leadership---How to be one? Empty Authentic leadership

Post  edliwag Wed 20 Oct 2010, 1:53 am

The words Unique and "Good as Advertised" initially came to mind when looking at the Article regarding Authentic leadership. Soon enough I discovered that it more than just being unique and being real in terms of leadership qualities.

As I learned from the article and trying to analyze if it will work in our present system in the health care and government, I have come to the conclusion that this model will be simply be overwhelmed with the flawed system that we have in our country. the traits mentioned are trust and transparency which is the exact opposite of the people currently running the system so I guess we need a more tougher model for our system to work and improve. The model talks about principles and desire to serve others for it to have a positive outcome. In the health care setting however, I believe that this is very helpful because we empower the people we servr and that makes for a good leader-follower relationship.
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo Wed 20 Oct 2010, 12:14 am

I was amazed that you cited and related the article to some heroes of the past. I strongly agree that terms and ideas are not that necessary to be an authentic leader. For me authentic leadership is being the best that you can, true to yourself, trusting and understanding your people in order to attain a specific goal not only for your own self but also for your followers. I think I became a leader when I was working as a psychiatric nurse. My head nurse left for a work abroad and I was the one who is next in line( when it comes to seniority). It was my first time and I don’t really have any idea on how to become one. But as time passes by, I learned many things like being responsible and open-minded person wherein I was able to respect and take into consideration all the ideas of my colleagues. For a system to work, it depends on what kind of leaders and followers we have. It’s not fair to just leave the task to the leaders but we should take into considerations the characteristics of the followers. If you are the most authentic leader in the world but you have those followers that can’t even take their responsibility, a system will not work at all. Wink flower
    cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Tue 19 Oct 2010, 11:37 pm

If I haven't read the article, from the literal meaning of authentic leadership, maybe I would define it in separate terms: one is authentic meaning genuine or real and the other is leadership which means the ability to lead and influence a group. Therefore my own definition of authentic leadership would be a genuine or real person to his/herself who has the ability to lead and influence a group.

In a school setting, I became the head of the our Pinning Committee. I led all the senior nursing students at PLM during our batch 2009 in planning one of the most memorable event in our nursing career -- Pinning Ceremony. Without knowing or reading the article about authentic leadership, I was amazed to know that practically I was able to practice some of its characteristics. As the student chairman of the said event, I listened honestly and sincerely to the needs and wants of my co-students. From there on, I was able to build a community where a symbiotic relationship existed.

Kelley (2003) posited that a leaders' effectiveness is contingent upon the followers input, in other words a leader is as effective as the followers will permit. In his book, "The Power of followership" asserts that few people have studied followership; instead the attention has always been on leadership. If leaders are to create successful organizations they must recognize that followers are the most essential resource the organization has and that only by understanding the needs of their followers can they achieve organizational success. In our current situation today, I guess most of the followers require their leader to be ethically and morally upright. I do believed that leadership skills can be learned and acquired over time or even by reading books or articles, but the character and principles of a leader whether good or bad no matter how we try change it will always be perpetual to a person.

Reference:

Kelley, R. (1992).The Power of Followership, Doubleday, New York, NY.

AC Ver
    AC Ver

Post  AC Ver Tue 19 Oct 2010, 11:16 pm

Authentic leadership, on the way I have understood it, is the ‘knowing-yourself leadership’, wherein you must first have self-awareness before you can reach out to others, because it is only after you’ve been true to yourself and to what you believe in that you will be enlightened on your real meaning and purpose in life. Authentic leaders are called to share transparently with their team and to act with integrity which requires self-awareness. Because they prompt trust and develop real connections with others, people trust them-- they are able to motivate individuals to high levels of performance thus, being able to meet the goal of the whole team.

For me, the last time I became a ‘formal’ leader was during the time when I was still working, there were days that I was assigned to be responsible for the whole group’s actions. But I think being a leader can happen to anyone at any given time and even in the most simple ways.

I think what our country needs is a leader who is aware of his/her true values and followers who don’t only want change but most of all will make every effort for the change they need. The importance of authentic leadership nowadays is seen while ethical and moral issues continue to arise in the country because a positive moral perspective is fundamental to the theory and as authentic leaders, they are expected to engage in ethical and transparent decision making which is what we lack in our nation- transparency of the leaders and trust from the people. Authentic leaders are said to draw on their moral capacity, courage, and resiliency to address ethical issues and achieve moral actions. But moreover, our country also needs the cooperation and dedication of each other for the change we have been looking forward to for the longest time and not just looking into the qualities and works of a good leader.
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Tue 19 Oct 2010, 10:03 pm

For instances that I don’t know anything about it, by just reading the word “authentic leadership” would mean that you are not being true-to-yourself kind of person. Your values and beliefs are seen in your actions. That you become open and honest in other people and this becomes your basis in building a good relationship with them.

It was secondary level that I used to become a leader in a group. But becoming a leader doesn’t mean that I have to dictate others of what they should do, but instead I let them choose what they want for their part. Because they choose the part they wanted makes them become capable of doing it thus it develops a trusting environment within the group. But sometimes I have to moderate the situation if there are already conflicting issues that arise.

I think for the system to work in our country today, knowing all the current events that are happening is the collaboration and communication between leaders and followers. Because this is an important factor that can help us build a organized system in the country.
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Authentic Leadership---How to be one? Empty Authentic Leadership---How to be one?

Post  khayee_07 Tue 19 Oct 2010, 2:03 pm

Due to so many issues and changes that are happening in our everyday lives, many concerns are arising in response to these events, and so as several actions were taken to address such occurrence…
    Dilemmas regarding the kind of government we have, the nature of services offered by various institutions and organizations, and the effectiveness of our health care systems -- all fall down into one concern...

Who were the people behind these things?
    Who were the ones responsible for these?
    And who were the leaders we appointed anyway?

Then we come into comments and opinions like...
    These are their (leader) faults!
    I should have known it, he’s not fitted!
    He’s a liar!

Come to think of it… we know that there is a necessity for a good leader in order for a system to work so we demand for one…, but we seldom think for a need of good followers for a leader to be good and for a system to become effective…

Going back to our history, there were so many known leaders recognized for their heroic acts. We have Lapu-Lapu who was so mighty in the fight for our land. There was Rizal who has sacrificed his life, which started so many rebellions and awaken the patriotism and natural will of leadership in Filipinos hearts...and so as the rest of those great men and leaders we knew have followed... but now? where is that natural fire of desire for a great change and better future? If becoming an authentic leader means having that particular gift as you were born,then when will be the next birth of the true gifted ones? Would it be worthwhile to wait...?

In relation from the above statement, the article of Wong would seem to be an old theory for the reason that it tackles something that has been known by the public, but can be considered as a new one at the same time for it tries to depict what should be recognized about leadership more than what and how we perceived it today…
    Regardless of what is known or not, and what we understood or not, notion about authentic leadership is something that brings a positive atmosphere, it doesn’t need a smart head to know that right? But what’s really important is to know what and how it takes to be an authentic leader considering all disrupting variables that hinder its achievement, and what is leadership all about...
    In Wong’s article, authentic leadership was described as making a difference in organizations by helping people to find meaning at work, build optimism and commitment among followers, encourage transparent relationships that build trust, and promote inclusive and positive ethical climates. Self awareness, emotion, and self processing were mentioned as intrinsic factor to the development of authenticity among leaders as well.
    Authentic leaders are dedicated to developing themselves because they know that becoming a leader takes a lifetime of personal growth. They are as guided by qualities of the heart, by passion and compassion, as they are by qualities of the mind (George, 2004).
    As authentic leader, we must always be willing to: Stand alone, live fearlessly, act heroically, want to be free and true more than anything else, take unconditional responsibility for oneself, face everything and avoid nothing, at all times see things impersonally and live for a higher purpose.
    It means ego death because we actually care so much about a higher purpose, a higher principle, a higher goal that we're willing to make the most important sacrifices for the sake of what we are aspiring to accomplish. It means we care so passionately about others also reaching that goal that we unhesitatingly sacrifice our own peace of mind, comfort, and security in order for them to succeed. It really means that we have no choice left anymore because we have realized without any doubt that from now on, it's up to us (Cohen, 2010).
    Leadership is not simply something we do. It comes from somewhere inside us. Leadership is a process, an intimate expression of who we are. It’s our being in action. At its deepest level, leadership is authentic self-expression that creates value (Cashman, 1998).

From the statements above, a lot have been mentioned about authentic leadership and what in particular is needed to be one. It is apparent that we have different perceptions in some ways of how leaders should be, and many features that are needed for authenticity to become real pertain to soft qualities of an individual. Reflective and weighty notions were linked with leadership as well in terms of how much and willing should you give, and how far can you go? Whether it is a calling (vocation) that you finally decide to, or just a mere calling of a specific situation you felt you have to?
    But haven't we moved far enough to know what it takes to be a leader; making us think and act too much, complicating things as we forget what is JUST needed? Lapu-Lapu, Rizal, Bonifacio and all the very known leaders didn't have much of the type of information and kind of education we have now... they may know different things about leading, they may have been effective in different ways; but they don't have as much TERMS and MUCH IDEALS as we have now which didn't hinder them at all, the evolutionary development of our generations and current happenings could be an explanation why we have so much of theses things..., but don't you think we just need to go back to the simplest and basics in resolving such problem?

Now, I’d like to find out something from YOU by asking some questions below which I’ll be replying from time to time, and sum up before the end of our asynchronous class, and then relate it with factual data and personal observations I noticed…
    Thank you….

Assuming that you didn’t read any article re leadership, in your own definition, what is authentic leadership?
    When was the time you actually became a leader?
    In terms of leadership, and relating with the current events in our country today, what do you think is needed for a system to work?

Bill George, (2004), Becoming an Authentic Leader; Volume 13 Number 1
    Bob Terry (2010), Authentic Leadership: Courage in Action, Chapter 6
    Kevin Cashman, (1998), Leadership: from the inside out

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 10:21 pm