UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+7
AC Ver
khayee_07
edliwag
Charis Juan
chel_calvelo
ylaganroidah
cezzy
11 posters

The Leader and The Authentic leader

Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

The Leader and The Authentic leader Empty Re:

Post  Tet Soriano Fri 22 Oct 2010, 8:47 pm

“Without management of self, no one is fit for authority, no matter how much they acquire knowledge on how to be a successful leader. We all possess the capacity for leadership, but only those who cultivate it will ever become truly effective leaders”.

I agree with you saying these lines. Self-management is really important in order to manage other people. Cultivation of the qualities of a good leader makes a leader effective.

“If one is not willing to engage from the heart, to passionately work to create a greater milieu of a healthy working people and to just push yourself to the ultimate limit of a vision to happen, you might be a leader, but you will not be perceived as an authentic leader”.

Authenticity as a perception is something new to me. But I realized it is true. Of course, authentic leadership is better than merely leadership. I see myself as an authentic leader and I’m hoping that those people I led before also perceive me as one. To develop authentic leadership, I must have the compassion for the goal and my people because it starts from there. You will carry the burden and you will not stop until you achieve your goal.

aimee
    aimee

The Leader and The Authentic leader Empty Re: The Leader and The Authentic leader

Post  aimee Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:12 pm

It is really hard to claim that one is a full-pledged authentic leader, but it is never too late. We can all hope and aim to become one and be the best of what we can be. Becoming an authentic leader can not be done overnight. It will take some time and experience to be able to learn and evolve. But as nurses that we are, I believe that deep inside, within ourselves, authenticity exists just waiting for the right time to ripen and be awakened.

A single leadership style with a specific personality with well-defined traits is very idealistic. With the current diversified society we live in, flexibility and adaptation is essential in dealing with challenges. Coming up with a unique theory such as authentic leadership, with elements that were drawn from basic theories, combined together is one way to show flexibility in order to adapt to changes which, as we all know, is inevitable.

You will know an authentic leader when you've encountered one. Authentic leaders speak the truth and lead from the heart, they are courageous and have rich moral fiber.They are dreamers and build teams and create communities. They deepen themselves and care for themselves. They commit to excellence rather than perfection. They leave a legacy and live in the hearts of the people around them. For them Success is wonderful but significance is even better.

Robin S. Sharma, LL.M., http://www.selfgrowth.com

cezzy
    cezzy

The Leader and The Authentic leader Empty Re: The Leader and The Authentic leader

Post  cezzy Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:59 pm

From your conclusion, I can say that I am in the process of becoming an authentic leader. Let us not forget that authenticity requires a longer time wherein we discover a deeper meaning of our existence thus our self awareness. Everyone of us can be an authentic leader and not just a leader if we will surrender ourselves and set aside biases upon perceiving ourselves

Thanks for your reply Kath. And I want to commend you if now you can assess that you're in the process of becoming an authentic leader. There are lot of leaders who are tired of mediocrity and are eager to inspire a new future by expanding to their full and authentic potential. This shift is created by connecting leaders to more of themselves, to who they truly are. By bringing their awareness, choice and personal responsibility to the forefront, leaders are able to attract the extraordinary results they want from the inside out. They naturally grow people and truly transform organizations. I hope you'll practice your authenticity in leadership in the near future. Smile

mariekathleensantos

Post  mariekathleensantos Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:18 pm

"Therefore, there is leadership, and then there is authentic leadership. If one is not willing to engage from the heart, to passionately work to create a greater milieu of a healthy working people and to just push yourself to the ultimate limit of a vision to happen, you might be a leader, but you will not be perceived as an authentic leader. Kerfoot, K. (2006) once said that Authentic leaders love, challenge people to do what they didn't believe was possible, and generate the energy to make the impossible possible by their passion for their people, their patients, and for doing the right thing"

- From your conclusion, I can say that I am in the process of becoming an authentic leader. Let us not forget that authenticity requires a longer time wherein we discover a deeper meaning of our existence thus our self awareness. Everyone of us can be an authentic leader and not just a leader if we will surrender ourselves and set aside biases upon perceiving ourselves
    cheers
    cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:02 am

therese_132409.. bounce

I can get what you're trying to say. I've also been in a situation where on the first meeting of the class, the teacher will require you to group yourselves and designate a leader. Then, since not all of you are familiar with each other, the person who always talk and seem friendly and approachable will be the one designated as a leader.In that regard, with mostly of my experience, I've seen that as time progresses, mutual respect and trust was developed eventually between the leader and follower, thus, beginning of a healthy working environment.

I just would like to add some thought from Jago, A. G. (1982). He stated that good leaders are made not born. If you have the desire and willpower, you can become an effective leader. Good leaders develop through a never ending process of self-study, education, training, and experience. Do you agree with him? are leaders made and not born? May I know your stand in this one?

Reference:

Jago, A. G. (1982). Leadership: Perspectives in theory and research. Management Science, 28(3), 315-336.

Thanks for you comment therese! Smile

cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:56 am

AC Ver.. Basketball

It has been said that clarity in self-awareness in authentic leadership is difficult to measure in observable terms. But I think followers can be able to assess a leader’s authenticity if he is open and is eager to listen to the feedback of what his members has to say. Because with this, the leader can work hard at developing self-awareness through persistent and courageous self-exploration.

I agree with your answer. I also think that if leaders were open to their followers, they'll be able to get feedbacks, and from that a relationship of trust can be developed thus authenticity of both parties (leader and follower) can be explored. Interpersonal communication might be the key on how to know if one is an authentic leader or not.

Moreover, Goffee and Jones (2005) noted two ways of managing a leader's authenticity. First a leader must ensure that his/her words are consistent his/her deeds. The most disturbing thing a leader can do is doublespeak and create a sense of mistrust. Second, leaders should find a common ground with his/her people. For example, a staff may believe that leader might have gotten so far away from clinical care that his/her perceptions are totally skewed. It's important for a leader to discuss his/her goals and objectives to his/her follower so that both can work collaboratively in meeting those goals. Participation of both is required to create a healthy working milieu conducive for patient's faster recovery.

Thanks for you comment. Smile

cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:41 am

khayee_07.. queen

besides of the previously mentioned ways on understanding the complexities of becoming an authentic leader, personally, not trying too hard to be someone like that is an essential thing to do....

That's a nice thought of comment from you. I certainly agree that since there are a lot of leadership styles that was created and developed, the basic thing to do is not to be trying hard in copying those traits just to be called authentic. In acknowledging yourself as a unique individual with unique capacities to lead and unique ability to promote a healthy working environment, I guess that's way better than being a copy cat of a leadership trait that is done only in words but not in action.

Thanks for you reply. Smile

cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:30 am

edliwanag.. jocolor

The kind of leadership you show to your followers instantly makes it authentic or your own brand of leadership because there are different settings,culture and behaviors that a leader encounters and there are different approaches to how one will try to implement a system.

Thank you for your response. I just would like to add that Goffee and Jones (2005) provided advice to the novice who is learning about the concept of authenticity as leader. These authors suggest taking advantage of many opportunities to explore yourself thoroughly. They recommend avoiding comfort zones. Having the will to ask and receive feedback openly, according to these authors, is extremely important. If people can talk to you about their perceptions of you as an authentic leader, the feedback will be invaluable. Perhaps your shyness makes people think you are not authentic.

*just an additional thought to ponder.. Smile

cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:20 am

charis juan.. cherry

The essence of being an authentic leader is first and foremost, as you said, is being a leader to yourself. What precedes this concept is the self-awareness that Wong described as one of the essential elements of authentic leadership.

yes. I agree that self-awareness is one major element in authentic leadership. But for a follow-up question, are you considered self-aware if you know yourself's main mission -- the things that you really want to do in life, but is not able to assess the awareness of other people (your follower) around you? Is self-awareness only pertains to awareness of self?

*I'll appreciate your response. Thank you! Smile

therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 Thu 21 Oct 2010, 8:07 pm

based on my experiences before, our classmates chose a leader who is academically active. they're not aware of how he or she can be a good and effective leader unless they once had a work together.so, i'm a leader because my groupmates will wait for me to designate a task to each. an authentic leader because i'm open to my groupmates opinions, suggestions, reactions, or either criticisms because their ideas might get the work done easily and faster.
    one can develop authenticity in leadership if he's true to himself all the time. he or she should hold onto his own beliefs and values inside out. a person has his own talents, strengths and weaknesses, desires to use and show as being the leader.
    each has his own assessment and judgement to a person he encounter and interact with. i think followers observation of authenticity in a leader depends on the outcome or solution being done by a leader which are good and positive and to the betterment of his members.
    cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Thu 21 Oct 2010, 7:25 pm

Chel.. pirat

But we should also keep in mind that having a healthy work relationship doesn’t just depends on the leaders but it should be a collaboration of both the leaders and its followers.
    Since you've mentioned that a healthy working relationship also requires the participation of the follower, in your perspective, how will you, as a follower, cooperate in a leader you don't even like from the start? We must all admit that there are certain people that in certain instances in an organization that we don't like. May it be because of her leadership strategies or because of her personal views on taking care of the patient as well as in taking care of the institution. Will you be a 'follower' even if you don't agree on the way he/she handles the situation or will you be brave enough in conferring to that leader your own stance about some matters? You can site an experience if you have one. Smile

Cool
    cezzy
    cezzy

Post  cezzy Thu 21 Oct 2010, 7:11 pm

Rhoida.. Smile

Being an authentic leader in a health care setting, I can be a leader wherein I value and respect other people that are within the healthcare setting. That everyone is treated in a fair manner. There should be a strong sense of trust between the leader and the affiliates.

you are a good leader indeed. But my question to you now, is how will manage an environment if the traits you have listed above is not practiced? How will you deal with a leader who is rude, who doesn't respect his/her co-workers, and a leader who was just appointed by someone and personally you know that he/she doesn't have that characteristics to be called as such?

AC Ver
    AC Ver

Post  AC Ver Thu 21 Oct 2010, 6:03 pm

Being an authentic leader is definitely a serious matter as it requires self-awareness of the leader. On the other hand, it also calls for truthfulness in how we perceive ourselves and of others, acting with consistency to your actions and to what you know is right, and the appeal that one leader should act with relational transparency to develop trust with every member. In winning trust of members, you are able to motivate them more in meeting your goal. With this, in one way or another I have been an authentic leader at some point. This especially depends on what the situation I am being confronted with requires.

With the previously stated characteristics of an authentic leader, I think that it can establish and sustain healthy work environments in the health care system because it doesn’t only takes into consideration the mere physical environment but it focuses to the less tangible barriers in promoting a healthy work environment. Together with authentic leadership are skilled communication, true collaboration, effective decision making, appropriate staffing and meaningful recognition in creating the healthy working milieu (American Association of Critical-Care Nurses, 2005)

It has been said that clarity in self-awareness in authentic leadership is difficult to measure in observable terms. But I think followers can be able to assess a leader’s authenticity if he is open and is eager to listen to the feedback of what his members has to say. Because with this, the leader can work hard at developing self-awareness through persistent and courageous self-exploration

Reference:
    1. The American Association of Critical-Care Nurses 2005. AACN Standards for Establishing and Sustaining Healthy Work Environments: A Journey to Excellence From Aliso Viejo, Calif. American Journal of Critical Care. 2005;14: 187-197
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Thu 21 Oct 2010, 12:23 am

the characteristics and qualities linked with authentic leader are weighty, like what you have cited, authenticity is achieve from the people who are under your leadership, and you cannot claim your self of being one..., it is uncomfortable sometimes to tell others what you think about yourself; hence, personally speaking it involves "bias" if someone is to be asked with concerns that relate to the analysis and dimension of his/her capacity and genuineness as an individual like whether he's an authentic leader or not for that matter...

besides of the previously mentioned ways on understanding the complexities of becoming an authentic leader, personally, not trying too hard to be someone like that is an essential thing to do.... Very Happy

every followers have their own way of assessing, but definitely, not all would have an objective assessment... personal concerns and issues with the leader, organization and other people can have a great contribution on how they make their evaluation and judgment... Smile
    edliwag

The Leader and The Authentic leader Empty Authentic leadership

Post  edliwag Wed 20 Oct 2010, 11:41 pm

The kind of leadership you show to your followers instantly makes it authentic or your own brand of leadership because there are different settings,culture and behaviors that a leader encounters and there are different approaches to how one will try to implement a system. You maybe following some leadership style that have been proven useful through the years but you being a unique person and putting it into use as you have understood it makes that leadership style of yours unique in some way. Barack Obama John F. kennedy And Charles Manson Are all Charismatic leaders but surely they differ in the way they have shown it to achieve their goals. These people definitely have developed a strong sense of self awareness but being unique individuals, their leadership styles re totally different from one another.
    Charis Juan

Post  Charis Juan Wed 20 Oct 2010, 10:49 pm

The essence of being an authentic leader is first and foremost, as you said, is being a leader to yourself. What precedes this concept is the self-awareness that Wong described as one of the essential elements of authentic leadership. One should be able to understand his strengths and weaknesses, his beliefs and values. Once he is able to understand them, he can then regulate himself to make sure that his actions are consistent with his values and beliefs.

I believe that in assessing authentic leadership in a workplace, one must observe the behaviours and actions of the employees. If the general atmosphere in the working environment is such that the employees are satisfied with their job, and are motivated to do more to improve their work, if they are able to express their opinions without fear of recriminations and judgments, if they are able to convey to others positive emotions such as optimism and resiliency, then I think that the leader is successful in inspiring and influencing his employees to work with him towards a common goal. That is, I think, one of the measures of authentic leadership in the workplace.
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo Wed 20 Oct 2010, 1:34 am

Being a leader requires a big effort in order to make a healthy work environment. You must learn to trust, understand and respect your followers. But we should also keep in mind that having a healthy work relationship doesn’t just depends on the leaders but it should be a collaboration of both the leaders and its followers. I think I experienced to become a leader when I was working but I can’t tell if I’m an authentic leader because as what you’ve cited in your discussion: “Only the people who experience the leader can ascribe authenticity to the leader. Authenticity is only perceived by others.” To develop authenticity in leadership, I must able to be aware of myself first. I should not just lead because I’m in the position but I should lead because it’s my passion. I should know how to be responsible and fair enough in my decisions. I should also build a good relationship with my followers. I think followers can assess authenticity of their leaders by observing if they can able to have an open communication, value relationships and show concern to them. tongue cheers Laughing
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Tue 19 Oct 2010, 9:54 pm

I maybe both a leader and an authentic leader because as a leader as defined by the dictionary is someone who has the commanding authority or influence. So in my younger years, I was assigned to be a leader wherein it gives me the authority to direct certain works to the group. The group now tends to follow the instructions since I was in the position to give the assigned task. So as I grew, being a “leader” also begun to grow or evolve. That during the secondary and tertiary levels of my education, I wasn’t already focused on the fact that I was a leader, but being the leader I was able to attend and know the needs that concerns my members.

Being an authentic leader in a health care setting, I can be a leader wherein I value and respect other people that are within the healthcare setting. That everyone is treated in a fair manner. There should be a strong sense of trust between the leader and the affiliates. The individual would feel that she/he physical and emotionally safe because it is considered part of their environment. I would engage them in decision making and personal and professional growth. In other words there should be a two way system that makes the work place a healthy one.
    cezzy
    cezzy

The Leader and The Authentic leader Empty The Leader and The Authentic leader

Post  cezzy Tue 19 Oct 2010, 3:52 pm

The Leadership and the Authentic Leadership
    Discussion paper on Carol Wong's proposed Theory

"Leadership is the courage to call
    forth authentic action in the commons."
    ~Bob Terry

Nursing possesses a rich history characterized by compassion, dedication and service. As society's culture continues to experience change, the profession of nursing is undergoing continuous evolution (Wilkes, R., et al, 2005). An example of evolution that we have today is the mounting complexity of patient care and resultant changes in our health care delivery system or organization that has provided nurses a wider range of functionality. One of the functionality of a nurse is to be a leader in an organization. Carol Wong’s Authentic Leadership: A new theory for Nursing or back to basics, gave a comprehensive analysis on the roles of nurses as an authentic leader. Nurses as leaders play a vital role in the sustenance of a healthy working environment, the question is how can we develop authenticity in our leadership which can in turn result into a healthy working milieu? What is the difference of leadership to an authentic leadership?

The first and paramount responsibility of anyone who aims to lead is to lead self, one’s own integrity, character, ethics, knowledge, wisdom, temperament, words, and acts. It is a complex, never-ending, incredibly difficult, over-looked task. Leading of self is something at which we spend little time and rarely excel precisely because it is so much more difficult than prescribing and controlling the behavior of others. (Hock, D., 1999). Without management of self, no one is fit for authority, no matter how much they acquire knowledge on how to be a successful leader. We all possess the capacity for leadership, but only those who cultivate it will ever become truly effective leaders. Leadership is the art of motivating a group of people to act towards achieving a common goal (Northouse, 2007, p3).

Moreover, Authentic leadership is defined as “being yourself; being the person you were created to be” rather than “developing the image or persona of a leader” (George, B., 2003). Although the concept of authenticity is defined as the quality of being true to oneself, not necessarily to others, the notion of authentic leadership shifts attention to the leader’s relationships with others (Avolio and Gardner, 2005). Thus, in developing authentic leadership, we must include both the understanding of the leader and follower to build a union that positively aims nourishing atmosphere. Furthermore, Luthans and Avolio (2003) have defined authentic leadership as “a process that draws from both positive psychological capacities and a highly developed organisational context, which results in both greater self awareness and self-regulated positive behaviours on the part of leaders and associates, fostering positive self development”. Development of authenticity in leadership doesn’t happen overnight. Authentic leadership is character driven and does not recognize leadership styles or a fixed set of characteristics that leaders are supposed to emulate. Nayab, N. (2010) stated that authentic leadership theory holds that each leader has their own unique style developed through study, experience, consultation and introspection, and consistent with their character and personality. Furthermore, Goffee and Jones (2005) made an emphasis that a leader cannot define herself as an authentic leader. Only the people who experience the leader can ascribe authenticity to the leader. Authenticity is only perceived by others. Authentic leadership makes a difference in organizations by helping people to find meaning at work, build optimism and commitment among followers, encourage transparent relationships that build trust, and promote inclusive and positive ethical climates (Avolio and Gardner, 2005). Meaning if both the leader and follower understand, recognize and appreciate one another, a healthy working environment will result as its basic assumption.

Therefore, there is leadership, and then there is authentic leadership. If one is not willing to engage from the heart, to passionately work to create a greater milieu of a healthy working people and to just push yourself to the ultimate limit of a vision to happen, you might be a leader, but you will not be perceived as an authentic leader. Kerfoot, K. (2006) once said that Authentic leaders love, challenge people to do what they didn't believe was possible, and generate the energy to make the impossible possible by their passion for their people, their patients, and for doing the right thing.

Guide Questions:

1. How do you perceive yourself after reading the article? Are you a leader or are you an authentic leader?

2. How can you develop authenticity in your leadership, may it be in a health care setting or school setting that can in turn result into a healthy working milieu?

3. How do you think followers assess the authenticity of their workplace’s leaders?

References:

Avolio, B.J., & Gardner, W.L., (2005) Authentic leadership development: Getting to the root ofpositive forms of leadership. The Leadership Quarterly, 16, 315-338

George, Bill & Bennis, Warren. (2008) Authentic Leadership. Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value.

George, B. (2003). Authentic leadership: Rediscovering the secrets to creating lasting value. San Francisco: Jossey-Bass.

Goffee, R., & Jones, G. (2005). Managing authenticity. Harvard Business Review, 83(12), 85-94.

Hock, D. (1999). Birth of the Chaortic Age: Leader-Follower. Berrett-Koehler Publishers, Inc., San Francisco.

Kerfoot, K. (2006). Authentic Leadership. Kerfoot & Associates, Indianapolis, IN, USA. Medsurg Nurs.15(5):319-20.

Nayab, N. (2010). Servant Leadership vs. Authentic Leadership: What are the Differences?

Northouse, G. (2007). Leadership theory and practice. (3rd ed.) Thousand Oak, London, New Delhe, Sage Publications, Inc.

Sexton, T. (April, 2007). Review of Reseach Literature on Authentic Leadership. Retrieved from, http://www.creative-edge-consulting.com/research/research%20literature%20authentic%20leadership.pdf

Wilkes, R., et al. (2005). Nursing's Future: Challenges and Opportunities Health publications, Alabama Nurse.

Last edited by cezzy on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:00 pm; edited 1 time in total

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 19 Apr 2024, 9:17 pm