UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+9
mariekathleensantos
carlo_0829
Charis Juan
cpenuliar
ylaganroidah
khayee_07
AC Ver
edliwag
Tet Soriano
13 posters

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader?

Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty Reply to Mr.RJ

Post  Tet Soriano Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:46 pm

Thank you for sharing your thoughts Mr. Rj. With that, I am more convinced that Nightingale truly exercised authentic leadership. Do have any experiences of authentic leadership in the past? Or have you experienced any situation that lacks authentic leadership?

Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty Reply to Ms.Calvelo

Post  Tet Soriano Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:40 pm

Thank you for sharing your great insights and for agreeing with me, Ms.Calvelo. You are right that being a leader is good. Isn’t it that a fulfilment if you bring about change to your people? You help them become better individuals. Being a leader is also a benefit for you because it is a very good opportunity for growth as well. Many things are learned when you become a leader. You even strengthen yourselves.

According to Gupta and Kumar (2009), leadership development is a pocess. People learn new behaviors and traits during their life and it will develop their leadership traits. He also quoted that leaders are born because it is in his nature. For example, employees with leadership potential are usually identified as extroverts, with good communication and interpersonal skills.

Reference:
    Gupta,A & Kumar, A.(2009). Leadership Development Process. Retrieved February 1,2009, from http://www.practical-management.com/Leadership-Development/Leadership-Development-Process.html

PriNcE RJ
    PriNcE RJ

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty Re: Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader?

Post  PriNcE RJ Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:07 pm

Do you agree that Florence Nightingale exercised authentic leadership? Why?

Florence Nightingale, for me, is an authentic leader. Imagine an opulent lady entering a vocation of servitude without focusing on what's its worth for her, unlike many of well-off women and men today who enters nursing to ensure a "better future." I think she led genuinely with her heart, which is a prime quality of an authentic leader. Leading with heart may sound soft, as if authentic leaders can't make tough choices involving pain and loss; it is anything but. Leading with heart means having passion for your work, compassion for the people you serve, empathy for your teammates, and the courage to make tough calls. (George B., 2006)
    Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty Repy to Ms.Aimee

Post  Tet Soriano Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:49 pm

Thank you, Ms. Aimee.

I agree with you that authentic leadership cannot be the only solution to various problems in our society but I believe it will help a lot so solve these problems and give it a progress. We need authentic leaders to lead our country.

I agree with your thoughts of becoming an authentic leader. It is difficult but we should take the challenge, future nurse leaders. We can become one for as long as we believe and we are willing. With our journey in life, we can be developed.

Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty Reply to Ms. Therese

Post  Tet Soriano Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:39 pm

Thank you for agreeing with me,Ms.Therese. If you will be an authentic leader, your followers will recognize your efforts because isn’t it that one of the concepts of authentic leadership is prioritizing your followers before yourself? For sure it will be evident on your decisions for the team.

You have mentioned about gaining your members' trust, you are right with that. Trust is something very important in an organization. According to Gardner, et.al. (2006), effective leadership creates trust. If you gain your team's trust, you can exercise authentic leadership.

chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty Re: Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader?

Post  chel_calvelo Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:18 pm

I agree that Florence Nightingale exercised authentic leadership because she use her own knowledge and simple ways in caring for the victims of the war. Even though she belongs to a well-known family, she didn’t hesitate to help. For me that was a good characteristic of a leader. And as a result, she was able to come up with a theory that is still applicable in the current time.

In my past experience I think I didn’t possess the characteristics of an authentic leader. During my undergrad years, I’m not confident enough to be appointed as a leader. I just enjoyed being a follower. But as time passes by, when I accepted the responsibility, I realized that being a leader is a good thing to do. You can be able to bring about change to your followers.

By using my own standards of being a leader, I can say that I can see myself as a leader!. But maybe for others, I need some time to identify the real me and improve myself. I think being a leader is not an inborn characteristic but it is a gift that you need to enhance as you go along with life.
    Razz sunny
    aimee
    aimee

Post  aimee Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:12 pm

Authentic leadership may not be the only solution to various problems in our current diversified society, for the theory, as stated by Wong and Cumming, has flaws and weaknesses. On the other hand , the authors have likewise emphasized that it is the root construct of positive forms of leadership, therefore it has been developed as a leadership style at its best.

Florence nightingale, with her ground breaking practice particularly in relation to healing, leadership, and global action, embodied what an authentic leader should be.

It is easy to describe what an authentic leader is, but to be one is a great challenge. Something that you cannot become overnight. Through experiences we learn , we develop, we adjust and evolve.
    Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty Replies to Posts

Post  Tet Soriano Fri 22 Oct 2010, 11:47 am

To Ms. Santos:

Thank you for agreeing with me that Florence Nightingale exercised authentic leadership.
    It is true that authentic leadership makes a healthy work environment. Do you believe that authentic leadership cannot be exercised if the workplace is unhealthy?Why?

To Mr.Sabangan:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts. I agree with you that personal authenticity breeds trust, commitment and loyalty and those were exercised by Florence Nightingale making her an authentic leader. You have mentioned that Nightingale’s works and deeds affected your behaviour as nurse. Could you mention what ways or instances that it has affected your leadership as a nurse?

To Ms.Juan:

Thank you for mentioning Florence Nightingale’s contributions and thank you for agreeing with me that she is indeed an authentic leader. In your experiences in the past, have you ever experienced exercising authentic leadership?

To Mr. Penuliar:

It is true that healing environments must also extent to nurses for patients. Thus, nurses should have healthy working environments in order to give the best care for patients. So you are saying that authentic leadership is a part of a healthy work environment? Please connect clearly the relationship of healthy environment and authentic leadership. Are you trying to say that you need the manifestations of a healthy environment to make an authentic leader?

therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 11:43 am

I agree that Florence Nightingale exercised authentic leadership. She has the passion, commitment, and will to bring change and improvement in health care setting. The most important is that she’s noble in her profession. She definitely can be considered as every nurses leader and role model.
    I could be a leader, but maybe not that authentic at all times. I possess some elements on how to be an authentic leader but maybe not on whether my groupmates recognize those in me and for them to inculcate those in their system also. Maybe, i will pay more attention on the congruency of my values and beliefs to my actions at any given moment so that my members have trust on me all the time.
    mariekathleensantos

Post  mariekathleensantos Fri 22 Oct 2010, 10:13 am

“AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP, NOT JUST ANY LEADERSHIP, IS THE GLUE THAT HOLDS TOGETHER A HEALTHY WORK ENVIRONMENT.”

With this quote, Florence Nightingale indeed utilized the principles of authentic leadership even though this model was not established in the Victorian era. Through her concepts, she was able to establish the effective ways of rendering care to our patients and her advocacies are the cornerstones of all the discovered theories that made nursing a very special profession. Way the go FN! cheers
    carlo_0829
    carlo_0829

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty RE: Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader?

Post  carlo_0829 Fri 22 Oct 2010, 4:16 am

Tet Soriano wrote:

1.Do you agree that Florence Nightingale exercised authentic leadership? Why?

Florence Nightingale spent her life in service to the sick and the wounded. Born into an affluent family, she rejected the usual path that upper class Victorian women took at that time and followed her own heart. Along the way, she reinvented the role of nurses in society and brought to light necessary changes toward the organization of a successful army hospital. Florence Nightingale led a life of significance, but not without enduring a war and sufferings of her own. Florence Nightingale deals nursing during her time as a dedication to serve wounded soldier without asking any compensation on her action hence signifying real authenticity, a personalauthenticity that breeds trust, commitment and loyalty in a work group. Making her a leader, a nursing pioneer, and mother of nursing, Florence Nightingale brought us an impact through her works and deeds that affects our behaviour as nurse making her as an authentic leader.
    Charis Juan

Post  Charis Juan Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:58 am

Florence Nightingale defied all logic when she decided to become a nurse. The milieu at that time was of women marrying and becoming obedient wives and of nursing as a career with poor reputation. Nightingale came from a wealthy family and was expected to marry and stay home. But she was independent, courageous, and fearless. She followed her calling against all odds, and stood alone in her convictions. But not for long, as she joined the volunteer nurses in the Crimean war.

Throughout her career, she never wavered in her advocacy of sanitary living conditions for the ill. She did all that she could do, and saw the limitations as opportunities to be of service. She helped in bringing to public knowledge the poor conditions of the wounded soldiers. She was primary mover of creating sanitary living conditions in hospitals. She establish and developed the nursing profession. She dedicated her life to serving others. In her dedication and commitment to nursing, she gathered a lot of supporters and followers. She was branded as the most famous Victorian second only to Queen Victoria. She is the founder of modern nursing and “the lady with the lamp”.

She truly exemplifies the attributes of authentic leadership.
    cpenuliar

Post  cpenuliar Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:52 am

In Nightingale’s Notes on Nursing, an environment conducive to healing is one in which patients have a sense of warmth and wellbeing. Nightingale’s original assumptions about healing environments appear consistent with the findings of environmental psychology that colors, sounds, and external environmental stimuli are variables that affect therapeutic outcomes. Beyond the requirement to provide a healing and aesthetic physical work environment for patients is the more contemporary assumption that the healing environments must also extend to the nurses who care for patients. Ideally, healthy work environments should have the necessary infrastructures to create “sanctuaries of healing” that are beneficial for all caregivers.

A healthy work environment must manifest:
    • First, in healthy and effective work environments, employees are treated in a respectful and fair manner. Similarly, concern and value for each person as an individual are apparent.
    • Second, healthy and effective work environments exhibit a strong sense of trust between management and employees. These organizations engage and empower employees in decision making, risk taking, and personal and professional growth.
    • Third, healthy and effective work environments have an organizational culture that supports communication and collaboration, views individuals as assets, and reduces decision making not solely to considerations of money, but also to consideration for the impact of decisions on the organization’s mission and its members.
    • Fourth, healthy and effective work environments have a “feeling tone” in which individuals are encouraged to feel physically and emotionally safe. A sense of family is commonly reported in healthy work environments, and cheer is evident within work teams and the organization as a whole.

These 4 manifestations is effective in establishing and sustaining healthy work environments that include skilled communication, true collaboration, effective decision making, appropriate staffing, meaningful recognition, and authentic leadership.
    Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty Post to Replies

Post  Tet Soriano Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:25 am

Thank you, Mr.Liwag for agreeing with me that Florence Nightingale is an authentic leader. You are right that leaders like Nightingale are influential people. But you yourself can become one as well. Our role is to be social innovators and social agents like what you have mentioned earlier. Are you taking the challenge to become one?

Thank you, Ms.Roidah for your insights and also for agreeing that Nightingale exercised authentic leadership. It is nice to hear that you already have experienced exercising authentic leadership in the past. Truly that self-awareness and balanced processing can help you become a better authentic leader. Earlier, you mentioned your weaknesses as a leader. Have you tough of ways to improve on it?

Thank you for your comments,Ms.Kaye. What are the attributes of an authentic leader that you have exercised?
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Thu 21 Oct 2010, 7:00 pm

I agree that Florence Nightingale exercised authentic leaders at the time of Crimean war because according to the Walker (2005) on her article entitled “The Great Leader Series No.2 –Florence Nightingale”, Florence led her nurses well, supporting them, but also being tough and sending home those who succumbed to the “evils” of alcohol. She was strong in her use of the rules, not allowing any wastage and requiring that her nurses’ uniforms were either returned or paid for when they were dismissed. Her determination to get the job done and her abilities to organize and support her nurses along with her refusal to be ignored brought great changes both during and after the war in the Crimea. Her ability to get the job done, in terrible circumstances, while facing strong opposition, shows the leadership values of hard work and following your vision.

In the past, I may have possessed the some of the characteristics of an authentic leader, because during my undergraduate years, even if I was assigned to be the leader of the groups, I make sure that everyone would be able to speak their own voice in the group. I ask their opinion on what to do and respected for what they have to say. I tell the group that even if I’m the leader I don’t know everything and that they could help me in some ways. And if there conflicts within the group, I make sure to resolve it before doing the task so that we are able to perform productively to in producing an outcome.

I may not still be a fully authentic leader, the area that I need to improve is the emotional management because if I’m pissed off, I am really pissed off and the whole project and activity is ruined because I expressed too much emotion within the group. I cannot function well if I mood is not good. Another area is being empathetic because whenever a person doesn’t do his/her part in the group I get irritated easily without even knowing the reason for doing so.
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Thu 21 Oct 2010, 6:33 pm

i definitely agree that Nightingale exercised authentic leadership... her desire for helping other people without waiting in return is a quality of a good leader... the initiation she made in addressing the need of the soldiers and people who were affected by the war is something that most of us today barely do... although, the interaction between HER and the recipients of care was not accentuated much, where analysis on the concept of relationship between a leader and a follower should have been drawn...

from my past experience I've been a leader so many times, and somehow, i guess i have justified my self well enough to be considered as authentic in some ways... Very Happy but still, i know there are a lot of improvements for me to do, in order to be the best that i can be... Smile
    AC Ver
    AC Ver

Post  AC Ver Thu 21 Oct 2010, 3:52 pm

I think that Florence Nightingale was one of the early examples of an authentic leader in the nursing profession. Going back to one of the many definitions of an authentic leader-- rather than letting the expectations of others guide them (authentic leaders), they are prepared to be their own person and go their own way (George & Sims, 2007). This exactly reflects what Florence Nightingale has done. She wasn’t afraid to step up even if in her time and nation, education was very unusual for women. She combined her individual resources with societal and professional resources to produce change.

An specific example of this was that although Nightingale has often been ridiculed for not embracing the germ theory, she very clearly understood the concept of contamination through organic materials from the patient and/ or the environment. With this, she strongly believed and pursued on the appropriate manipulation of the environment as a way to prevent disease—her concept underlies the sanitation activities of what we have in modern-time.

In one way or another I can surely say that I have been an authentic leader as being one requires honesty not only to yourself but to your members as well. Developing trust with every member to have a strong foundation for the goal attainment of the group. There is also the practice of what I know is right and ethical and developing relational transparency.

Being an authentic leader can improve in many ways and one aspect is the self-awareness part. One can work hard at developing self-awareness through persistent and often courageous self-exploration. Denial can be the greatest hurdle that leaders face in becoming self-aware, but authentic leaders ask for, and may listen to honest feedback of every group member.

Reference:
    George, W., Sims, P. (2007). True North: Discover your authentic leadership. Retrieved February 1 2007, from Authenticleaders.org Website: http://www.authenticleaders.org/book.htm
    edliwag

Post  edliwag Thu 21 Oct 2010, 11:48 am

Florence Nightingale definitely had a strong sense of awareness and basing on the concepts presented by the article, she is definitely an Authentic leader in the field of nursing. Being regarded as the matriarch of nursing shows how she as a leader created an impact and change the nursing landscape. It is knowing her strengths and limitations with regards to improving duties of a nurse that set the foundation of our roles as a nurse. Nursing became a better profession because of Nightingale's genuine desire to serve others and her her firm belief on her principles.

Leaders like Florence Nightingale are builders of a new dawn, working with imagination, insight, and boldness. They present a challenge that calls forth the best in people and brings them together around a shared sense of purpose. They work with the power of intentionality and alignment with a higher purpose. Their eyes are on the horizon, not just on the near at hand. They are social innovators and change agents, seeing the big picture and thinking strategically.
    Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader? Empty Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader?

Post  Tet Soriano Thu 21 Oct 2010, 5:18 am

Florence Nightingale: An Authentic Leader?

Authentic leadership, something new to my ears but digging out more about this kind of leadership, I realized it’s not a new theory but it’s something helping you go back to basics. To nursing, it is a new theory because the combination of the components--self-awareness, balanced processing, authentic behaviour, and relational transparency is new to the theories. In addition, according to Avolio, et. al,(2005), the intent of authentic leadership was not to develop another theory but to return to fundamental aspects of leadership. The theory is well-built, the elements integrated are relevant making it comprehensive. The idea that authenticity encourages honesty, integrity and transparency in leader-follower relationships and this makes it a good model to guide nurses in the workplace.

According to Cohen (2010), an authentic leader should be willing to stand alone, live fearlessly, act heroically, want to be free and true more than anything else, take unconditional responsibility for one-self, face everything and avoid nothing, at all times see things impersonally, and live for a higher purpose.
    Hyatt (2010) also identifies the 5 marks of authentic leadership to be having insight, demonstrating initiative, exerting influence, having an impact and exercising integrity.

Reflecting on first nursing theorist, Florence Nightingale’s life story, I strongly believe she exercised authentic leadership during her times. Based on the concepts presented by different authors mentioned earlier, I think she possessed the traits of an authentic leader. Nightingale was a very brave and devoted woman to offer her services in the Crimean war. She ministered to the sick and suffering soldiers. She stood alone, lived fearlessly and she left a legacy of a heroin. She went out of her comfort zone and sacrificed a lot for the benefit of the others. Her insights were great. She spent a great deal of time offering advice and encouragement through her writing and also verbally. She has influenced all other nurses. During her times, she was on her feet for twenty hours a day and her nurses were also overworked.

She made an impact to the nursing history with her integrity. The legacy of Florence Nightingale regarding the importance of total healing environments for patients has had a momentous influence on the development of the fundamental values of healthy work environments. As Nightingale's beliefs contributed to the healing of patients, research has demonstrated that a healthy work environment leads to both improved patient outcomes and increased nursing satisfaction. In contrast unhealthy work environments have been linked with medical errors, ineffective delivery of care, conflict, and stress among health professionals.

Guide questions:

1.Do you agree that Florence Nightingale exercised authentic leadership? Why?

2.In your past experiences of leadership, did you possess the characteristics of an authentic leader?

3.Are you an authentic leader? Where and how can you improve?

References:

Avolio, B.J., Gardner, W.L. (2005), "Authentic leadership development: getting to the root of positive forms of leadership", The Leadership Quarterly, Vol. 16 No.3, pp.315-38.

Bloy, M. (2010). Florence Nightingale (1820-1910). The Victorian Web. Retrieved from http://www.victorianweb.org/history/crimea/florrie.html

Cohen, A. (2010). What is Authentic Leadership?Andrew Cohen: Spiritual teacher & founder of Enlightenment.
    Retieved from http://www.andrewcohen.org/andrew/authentic-leadership.asp.

Hyatt, M. (2010). The Five Marks of Authentic Leadership. Micheal Hyatt: Intentional Leadership, 81. Retrieved from http://michaelhyatt.com/the-five-marks-of-authentic-leadership.html

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 2:26 am