E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

Authentic leadership

Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Authentic leadership Empty Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 8:45 pm

You are right when you mentioned that each of us has different leadership styles because we are unique individuals with unique personalities. I must admit that sometimes I am not who I am when leading. I am naturally perfectionist and I want my commands to be done. It has always been a burden for me if I cannot control my group that is why I like working alone in order to avoid people who do not strive for excellence. I think if a person is truly authentic, he can manifest it in all areas of her life.

It is difficult to be yourself sometimes because we please other people. We are not confident when people see the real us. We are afraid that we may displease them and suffer the consequences whatever it may be.

edliwag

Authentic leadership Empty Reply to Aimee

Post  edliwag on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:00 pm

"I suppose leadership at one time meant muscles; but today it means getting along with people."
    Mohandas Gandhi

I agree Being an Authentic leader is easier said than done, we have to undergo a lot to fully understand ourselves but at the same time during those times we are taking the steps necessary to develop ourselves in to a good leader. Being is not about jut the leader but the followers also. You commit yourself not only to your work but also to the people that you serve. If we are born to lead then everything will come naturally.
    aimee
    aimee

Authentic leadership Empty Re: Authentic leadership

Post  aimee on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:12 pm

Authenticity is the "State of being committed to the truth."

An authentic leader is a person who chooses to live a life of integrity. They are not only honest in relationship with others but most importantly they are honest and true to themselves.

It is easy to describe what an authentic leader is, but to be one is a great challenge. Something that you cannot become overnight. Through experiences we learn , we develop, we adjust and evolve.

http://www.ahigherself.com.au
    carlo_0829
    carlo_0829

Post  carlo_0829 on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:35 pm

edliwag wrote:

3)On the concept of self awareness, What hinders us to be true to ourselves?

According to Refferty, 2010, spending most of our time in some form of judgment, criticism, condemnation, anger, fear, jealousy, helplessness, worry, pessimism, guilt, disappointment, anxiety, doubt or regret hinders us to become true to ourselves.

But some point, we cannot be fully become self aware to ourselves in reason that according to Johari's window model, a psychological tool used to develop self-awareness and promote better relationships among people represents a 4 quadrants of human self awareness. In 2nd quadrant - These refer to the subject’s attributes that are unknown to him but are known by his or her peers and in the 4th quadrant an unknown quadrant, an empty quadrant which symbolizes the qualities undiscovered by the neither the subject nor others.

PriNcE RJ
    PriNcE RJ

Post  PriNcE RJ on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 11:48 am

"Followership and leadership are not so much about position (Stech, 2008; Westbrook & Dixon, 2003; Buchanan, 2007) but about their ability to influence through behaviors and self-concept (Kark & Van Dijk, 2007)." This is my philosophy when I try to lead people especially at the workplace. I may be very strict at times and I want to do the work in the quickest most effective way possible. I think that I'm still being authentic in that way because what I share or teach is what is me as a worker.

I also believe that to be a good leader, you must first be a good follower. A good follower will give his best to please the leader, be efficient and effective at all times, and will absorb philosophies, traits and skills that would be of great benefit for him/her in the future and will emit the wrong and disadvantageous traits or skills from the person he/she's looking up to.
    king
    mariekathleensantos

Post  mariekathleensantos on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 10:42 am

I agree with Ms. Ver, for us to achieve self awareness, we should be able to be honest of ourselves instead of denying. to support this statement, here is the definition of denial
    Denial is a defense mechanism postulated by Sigmund Freud, in which a person is faced with a fact that is too uncomfortable to accept and rejects it instead, insisting that it is not true despite what may be overwhelming evidence. The subject may use:
    any of the three forms of denial would hinder us in achieving self awarenes thus blocking our way on becoming an authentic leader.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Denial
    AC Ver
    AC Ver

Post  AC Ver on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:59 am

I think how I function as a leader reflects who I am as a person. For me, in some way, they are inseparable.

In my opinion, yes, it is possible for a person to have authenticity mentally, spiritually and emotionally. However, I think that lack of authenticity in one area may affect how you’ll feel in terms of the other aspects because I see the three areas interrelated by some means. Denial can be the greatest hurdle that leaders face in becoming self-aware, but authentic leaders ask for, and listen to honest feedback for them to develop self-awareness through self-exploration from what others has to say about their performance.
    cpenuliar

Post  cpenuliar on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:13 am

Self-awareness is being conscious of what you're good at while acknowledging what you still have yet to learn. I think that admitting when you don't have the answer and owning up to mistakes are hindrances to self awareness. In our highly competitive culture, this can seem counterintuitive. In fact, many of us operate on the belief that we must appear as though we know everything all the time or else people will question our abilities, diminishing our effectiveness as leaders.

If you're honest with yourself, you'll admit that really the opposite is true. Because whether you acknowledge your weaknesses or not, everyone still sees them. So rather than conceal them, the person who tries to hide weaknesses actually highlights them, creating the perception of a lack of integrity and self-awareness.
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:21 am

i have the tendency to not show everything that i am when i lead a group. like when I'm already displeased by their attitude for i don't want to make "scenes" that would most likely create discomfort among us... since i am the leader, i felt that i made most of the sacrifices that time...

i don't think such person will be able to have authenticity in all aspects of his/her self... but having the genuine desire to help and bring something beneficial for the group makes him a better leader who acts in accord with what he think is right and accepted by others...

i think personal issues, fear of rejection and the thought of being isolated are the things that hinder us to show the real and genuine us....
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:56 am

flower

edliwag wrote:

The contributors of the paper are advocating for a kind of leadership that seeks to help identify one’s abilities and gifts knowing this will often lead to the ability to better use, and perhaps mastery, of these strengths.

Yes, leadership can be learned and mastered, but I believe more on the idea that it is innate in a person. As it is the product of how a person was raised and taught with values that we need in life. It a gift that a person doesn't need to give extra effort to be a good leader.

Response to questions:

Every one of us is a leader in our own authentic way. Sometimes, I fear to be with myself because of my own exceptional reasons. There is this apprehension that others might not understand and misinterpret my intentions. We are all unique individuals, we cannot please everybody.
    To finalize it, this question left hanging in my mind. What if you are authentic, you are being true and honest BUT your attitude toward leadership is negative? Do we still consider that to be a leader? Perhaps the right word for it is caring. Above anything else, to be a good leader we just have to CARE... I love you
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:38 am

I cannot really measure how much of me shows leadership, maybe because for me it is a reaction to a certain situation. That comes out whenever it is needed. It may be possible since being authentic can be developed through a series of experiences wherein the person becomes authentic in the said areas you have mentioned like mentally, spiritually and emotionally. One factor maybe that hinders me form being myself is the fact that people might get offended on what I do or say. That the truth might really hurt and that can affect the person itself and the relationship we have. But sometimes, this thing does help us to develop maturely. A little bit of criticism might be of help for a person to become better and also for me to become aware of other people’s feelings.
    Charis Juan

Post  Charis Juan on Thu 21 Oct 2010, 10:16 pm

I guess we have all heard of the expression “When the going gets tough, the tough gets going”. I think effective leaders are leaders that can navigate the boat during rough sails. It is during these challenging situations that a leader’s true character is tested. And it is during these times that a part of himself that he has not shown to everybody becomes known to the public. And if during these times, the leader, by his actions, is still true to himself, accurately representing privately and publicly his internal states, intentions, and commitments, then has shown integrity in the face of adversity.

We often lose sight of who we are if we project a persona that is different from what we really are. I agree that being authentic is being your own person.

Warren Bennis, author of “On Becoming A Leader”, stated "Leaders have nothing but themselves to work with…. we are our own raw material. Only when we know what we’re made of and what we want to make of it can we begin our lives – and we must do it despite an unwitting conspiracy of people and events against us….. To become a leader, then, you must become yourself, become the maker of your own life….. Know thyself, then, means separating who you are and who you want to be from what the world thinks you are and wants you to be….. Until you make your life your own, you’re walking around in borrowed clothes."
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo on Thu 21 Oct 2010, 9:43 pm

I totally agree with your discussion that kind of leadership depends on the person. You can be a leader even in own simple ways. It is not necessary to just emulate others and pretend just to be a leader. You’re not being true to yourself if that’s the case.

I think authenticity in all aspects of life is difficult to achieve. At some point we can commit mistakes beyond our control that eventually will have an impact on the so called “authenticity”. As what the quotation states: “nobody’s perfect”. We can only improve ourselves but not to the point that we will became perfect individuals.

I think I’m the only one that can hinder myself to be true. There is only one person who is capable to set limits to my growth: and that is me. I’m the only person who can revolutionize my life. I’m the only person who can influence my happiness, my realization and my success. I’m the only person who can help myself. My life does not change when my boss changes, when my friends change, when my parents change, when my partner changes, when my company changes. My life changes when I change, when I go beyond my limiting beliefs, when I realize that I’m the only one responsible for my own life.

flower sunny
    therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 on Thu 21 Oct 2010, 9:24 pm

from my past experiences as a leader, sometimes i use different styles at the same time. i'm democratic because i want them to share their ideas and suggestions. and if they seem to be not following or ignoring me, i will show to them that i'm annoyed and ask them what seems to be the problem that they not working or participating. and that's how i think is being true somehow to myself and to them.
    it is possible for a person to achieve authenticity mentally, emotionally, and spiritually. mentally in a way that you know the real/true/genuine/ self of you. emotionally because you value or care for your followers insights. you and your followers able to build relationship and acquire development. spiritually in a way that you are here in this world because you have a purpose and mission to accomplish for yourself and to other person.
    what hinders me to be true to myself? for an instance, i will not talk anymore or make my stand because that person might get hurt to what will i say. or, you just follow what a person will tell you because he might get disappointed or imply that you don't care on whatever he wants.
    edliwag

Authentic leadership Empty Authentic leadership

Post  edliwag on Thu 21 Oct 2010, 7:13 pm

Authenticity

Authenticity refers to being open, honest and real. The idea originates with the Humanistic School of psychology that emerged in the 1960's which suggests that we cannot help others unless we share ourselves openly and honestly -- that we are "real".

Authentic leaders

Authentic leaders genuinely desire to serve others through their leadership. They are more interested in empowering the people they lead to make a difference than they are in power, money, or prestige for themselves. They are as guided by qualities of the heart, by passion and compassion, as they are by qualities of the mind.

Authentic leaders are not born that way. Many people have natural leadership gifts, but they have to develop them fully to become outstanding leaders. Authentic leaders use their natural abilities, but they also recognize their shortcomings and work hard to overcome them. They lead with purpose, meaning, and values. They build enduring relationships with people. Others follow them because they know where they stand. They are consistent and self-disciplined. When their principles are tested, they refuse to compromise. Authentic leaders are dedicated to developing themselves because they know that becoming a leader takes a lifetime of personal growth.

Leaders are all very different people.Any prospective leader who buys into the necessity of attempting to emulate all the characteristics of a leader is doomed to fail.

The one essential quality a leader must have is to be your own person, authentic in every regard. The best leaders are autonomous and highly independent. Those who are too responsive to the desires of others are likely to be whipsawed by competing interests, too quick to deviate from their course or unwilling to make difficult decisions for fear of offending.

Being your own person is most challenging when it feels like everyone is pressuring you to take one course and you are standing alone.

To become authentic, each of us has to develop our own leadership style, consistent with our personality and character.

Contrary to what much of the literature says, your type of leadership style is not what matters. Great world leaders—George Washington, Abraham Lincoln, Winston Churchill, Franklin Roosevelt, Margaret Thatcher, Martin Luther King, Mother Theresa, John E. Kennedy—all had very different styles. Yet each of them was an entirely authentic human being. There is no way you could ever attempt to emulate any of them without looking foolish.

Bill George is former chairman and CEO, Medtronic (www.authenticleaders.org). He is author of Authentic Leadership: Rediscovering the Secrets to Creating Lasting Value (Jossey-Bass, San Francisco, 2003), from which this article is based.

Proposed Authentic leadership Model

The contributors of the paper are advocating for a kind of leadership that seeks to help identify one’s abilities and gifts knowing this will often lead to the ability to better use, and perhaps mastery, of these strengths. It aims to highlight the importance of the leader-follower relationship and how a strong force it can be in effecting organizational goals for the company.
    Leading with a heart and compassion is essential in the health care setting and there is a need for real leaders that can be counted on when needed. one that would deliver and do exaxtly what he says.

Gardner et al (2005) described four underlying components of authentic leadership: Self-awareness, balanced information processing, authentic behavior and relational transparency.

In defining a leader, John Maxwell says that if no one follows your leadership, then you aren't really leading, "You are just out talking a walk". Having your name on the door of the 'executive suite' doesn't make you a leader.

An authentic leader according to (Bass and Avolio) 1994 may exhibit any leadership style, it is possible to be authentic and not be transformational or charismatic.

Authentic leadership is proposed as the core of effective leadership needed to build trust because of its clear focus on the positive role modeling of honesty, integrity, and high ethical standards in the development of leader-follower relationships.

References:

1.http://work911.com/leadership-development/faq/authentic.htm
    2. www.winstonbrill.com

Questions:
    1)How much of yourself do you really show in your leadership.
    2)Is it possible for a person to achieve authenticity in all areas such as mentally, spiritually, and emotionally? what keeps them grounded to their principles
    3)On the concept of self awareness, What hinders us to be true to ourselves?

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Thu 17 Oct 2019, 4:34 pm