Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One

kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Reply to Aimee

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:40 pm

“Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.”
    - Tao Tzu

Thank you for sharing me this words of wisdom Smile

I totally agree that trust is gained and can never be asked from anyone. It is established the same way with respect. Even if you beg for someone to give it to you, you can never have it just like that. You have to work hard to achieve it. geek
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Reply to Roidah

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:32 pm

Being sensitive of our surroundings is a very important skill that we, as nurses should develop since not all patient's are expressive of what they feel. That is why we have learned in the undergrad that we should develop a skill called "clinical eye."
    As nurses, we deal or encounter different kinds of people with different personalities and different needs. When we know our selves well and manage our own lives well, I guess we can also deal with other people in a good manner. Like what we have learned in theoretical foundation, adaptation plays a vital role in the lives of each person. Just like in our psychiatry class in undergrad, before we were allowed to go on duty at NCMH we were given workshops on how we could know ourselves better. That is when I realized the importance of SELF-AWARENESS in our lives. sunny
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Reply to Charise

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:17 pm

We share the same thoughts on becoming a good follower first before a person will become a good leader. It is through our experience as a follower that we can be a better leader in the future. Life is a continuous process and nothing is permanent except change. If we aspire for a better change, we should start it within ourselves and like what you've mentioned everything will follow and will come naturally. cheers
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Reply to Therese

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:21 pm

Continuous reflection of oneself could help us assess our strengths and weakness as well as our capabilities.

When it comes to our President Aquino, I share the same observation with yours. People tend to misjudge him right away with what they see in the television and with what they hear in the radio. Maybe it is so because the people have high expectations of him. For me, we cannot judge him just yet because his term had just started. Laughing
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Reply to Tet Soriano

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:31 pm

Indeed self awareness plays an important role in leading our lives. I agree with you that self-awareness affects our decision making and in knowing our priorities. I, myself have made big decisions in life which involved self-awareness. Whether I am ready on doing something or not. Entering graduate school is one of the biggest decisions I have made which that involves self-awareness. Before entering gradschool I assessed my capabilities first, if I can deal with the pressure and can get along with my colleagues.

I think I must agree with you when you said that: Filipinos gave their full trust with President Noy because when they crowned him the presidency position, they have already entrusted him the responsibility to lead the country. bom
    aimee
    aimee

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Re: Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One

Post  aimee on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:25 pm

“Knowing others is wisdom, knowing yourself is Enlightenment.”
    - Tao Tzu
    I must say that I can be the best of both worlds - being a leader and a follower . I believe that being a good leader coincides with being a good follower.
    You can not demand trust from people instead you will have to gain it. With President Aquino, with all due respect, since people has chosen him to lead the nation I guess the trust is there but has not yet been established.
    ylaganroidah

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Re: Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One

Post  ylaganroidah on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:20 pm

I can say that my self-awareness has been improved from my younger days to present. Since I’m already a professional, I should be more sensitive of others needs and feeling. That I should be aware of the things that words cannot say. That being conscious enough is important in dealing with other people.

I can see myself as both a leader and a follower because for me, I cannot be a leader if I don’t know how to be a follower. In this way you would help you understand both sides of the story. You have to experience both so that it will help you develop as a person and also enhance whatever skills you already have. I was luck to experience being a leader in my undergraduate years and how it feels to be one.

I guess the trust of Filipino people in President Aquino started way back from the time of campaign until the time the President was inaugurated because you can see the number of people who where there to support the President
    Charis Juan

Post  Charis Juan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:03 pm

An aspect of self-awareness is knowing how to deal with your weaknesses, especially in situations where part of the solution is to either let your weaknesses control you or to control your thoughts and emotions to resist the attempt of using your weakness to solve a problem. I agree with your article which states “Until you are aware in the moment of the controls to your thoughts, emotions, words, and behavior, you will have difficulty making changes in the direction of your life.” Being aware of your thoughts and emotions, values and beliefs, and knowing how to deal with them will give you the ability to understand other people better.

A person can be a leader or he may be a follower, depending on the circumstances. But, I know that before we can be good leaders, we have to be good followers. Before we can become leaders, we have to slowly build and develop these qualities, hone our talents and skills, and perform to the best of our abilities. After all, this is what we aspire for: to become better persons. The rest, then, will come naturally.

therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:03 pm

As of the moment, i’m still looking forward in turning my weaknesses into strengths while keeping my strengths and abilities intact and utilize it whenever i have and need to. i think right now, i see myself better as a follower rather than a leader. Maybe, i know that i’m not fully aware of my leadership skills or haven’t discover it yet. Being a follower, i make sure that i’ll finish the assigned task given by my leader at the right time and ask if he has something to comment on my work to improve it.
    Not all Filipinos trust our president. Or for an instance, at first they trust him and if a mistake or some mistakes was done and reported from the television or radio some eventually totally lose trust to PNoy which is for me, it shouldn’t be like that. There is no existing perfect person in the world so let’s not just look at the negative side of a person rather do your part to bring out our or his strengths and help each other to build a nation better and worth living for all.
    Tet Soriano
    Tet Soriano

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Re:

Post  Tet Soriano on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:02 pm

kristineaajuan wrote:
    A person must reflect about himself once in a while to maintain his equilibrium in life.

I agree with that. Many are the times that we are being out of focus, even sometimes we do not know ourselves anymore. Self-awareness is really important in leading our own lives and also leading others. In the recent days, self-awareness has helped me a lot in making big decisions in my life and knowing my priorities. Without me knowing and understanding myself very well, I wasn’t able to choose the best for my own. If we are dictated by our leaders and peers whom we look up to and following them without self-awareness, it might lead us to wrong decisions.

I always see myself as a leader in many things. I don’t want to be merely a follower. But in times we also need to be a follower. Before becoming a leader, you must be a follower first as what they always say.

I think the Filipinos gave their full trust with President Noy because when they crowned him the presidency position, they have already entrusted him the responsibility to lead the country.
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Post  roseanne.catalan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:00 pm

flower
    kristineaajuan wrote:
    1. How does self awareness affect your life as of the moment
    Self-awareness helped me realized the things that I can offer in my day-to-day experience with patients and families in the hospital. I learned to examine my strengths and weaknesses and how I can use it to be of best help to others. It reminded me so much of Newman's theory and Mr. Butcon's statement "what you don't have, you cannot offer".
    2. Do you see yourself as a leader or a follower?
    Both. To be a good leader, you must be a good follower. Also, a good follower must know what a good leader must be.
    3. With the current situation of our country can you say that the Filipinos have given their full trust with President Aquino
    ?

Most of them yes. It had been proven by the trust Aquino received. I personally have a great trust on him. bounce
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Reply to Marie Kathleen

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:58 pm

I couldn't agree to with how you related the current situation of our country with self awareness and trust. Yes, Pres. Aquino has gained so much popularity because of his family from his father, mother and down to his sister Kris. I just hope that the filipinos did not vote for him just because of his family background although it is indeed a factor. But I hope it is more of his leadership skills. In addition to that, we filipinos should trust in his capabilities and not criticize him most of the time. We filipinos have the tendency to be fault finders, maybe that is one reason that our country isn't improving. lol!
    mariekathleensantos

Post  mariekathleensantos on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:43 pm

In my poiint of view, TRUST is one of the key elements of self awareness. We should first be able to trust ourselves before we can trust other people. Just like what we are experiencing here in our country, despite of the popularity gained my President Noynoy Aquino, in reality, we do not and cannot trust him fully for we doubt our own capabilities in making Philippines a better place to live.

As for the question, what am I, a follower or a leader? I can say that I play both roles. For one cannot and will never know how to manage and lead people effectively if he wasn't able to experience being a follower cheers
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Reply to Chel

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 12:18 pm

It is so true that you cannot give what you do not have. It's the same as you cannot offer yourself to others if you have not accepted yourself in the first place. I remember in college when we were ask in our leadership and management class if leadership is innate or acquired. My stand is, I agree with what you said that it is a gift that you need to enhance as we go through life.

In self-awareness, we should leave space for our weaknesses because these weaknesses when actualized will be our strengths.

It is true that we should not always rely on the president. We should make a change in our own little ways. We should start it within ourselves. cheers
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 11:39 am

I think self-awareness affect my life by helping me analyze my strengths and weaknesses. And because of this I was able to enhance the skills I’m weak at. This gave me the idea that in order to know the needs of others you should identify your own needs first. It’s like what the quotation states: “you can’t give what you don’t have”. By using my own standards of being a leader, I can say that I can see myself as a leader!. But maybe for others, I need some time to identify the real me and improve myself. I think being a leader is not an inborn characteristic but it is a gift that you need to enhance as you go along with life. sunny

In my opinion, I can say that Filipinos have not yet given their full support to President Aquino. It’s like they are just waiting for the solutions for the problems of the country. They don’t even bother to make their own moves to help the country today. Maybe what the country needs today is that Filipinos should learn to collaborate with the government to be able to build a good working relationship! Don’t just rely on the President. flower
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Reply to Ac

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 10:44 am

I like the part when you said that less self- awareness equals more dilemmas Smile Because i think when you know yourself better you know how you will handle the trials that will come your way and even face them with confidence and with a smile Very Happy.

"...before someone can be a great leader, he/she should first be a true follower or being someone who can put him/herself in the shoes of his/her members." -- True.
    You cannot truly understand a situation unless you have experienced it. Empathy is a difficult thing. Sometimes you think you already know but in fact you have no idea at all.

In political aspect, i agree with your point about the anti's and pro's in our administration. However, come to think of it you really need two different opinions in order for you to come up with a good decision or judgement. A leader should also consider both sides of the story. It saddens me that filipinos- filipinos fight with each other. Unity is what this country needs. At the end of the day we are all filipinos, sharing the same culture, language and walking on the same land.
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Reply to cpenuliar

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 10:22 am

Thank you for your reply.

I totally agree with what you said that acknowledging the things that you have yet to learn, admitting your mistakes and asking for help won't make you less of a leader nor of a person. To others their pride is the most important thing they have yet to offer which is not a good reflection of oneself. No matter what we do, in what position we are in and where we are in the society doesn't really matter, it's just an additional of who we really are. Being humble is one of the keys to success! Wink
    AC Ver
    AC Ver

Post  AC Ver on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:45 am

Self-awareness certainly affects my life in a lot of ways. Through self-awareness I am able to know myself truly. It also gives me clarity about what I want in life and why I want it. Being self-aware empowers me to consciously and actively make choices. Without it I’ll surely get caught up in my own internal dramas and uncertainties, allowing unknown thought processes to determine my feelings and actions. Thus, less self-awareness equals more dilemmas for me.

I see myself as both a leader and a follower. Of course it depend on what the situation dictates me to be and in addition, before someone can be a great leader, he/she should first be a true follower or being someone who can put him/herself in the shoes of his/her members.

Political views have always separated our nation to the people of pro and anti administration. And so I think even if President Aquino has won the trust of some of the Filipinos, there are still those who even now are having doubts on his capabilities as a leader. Certainly, we cannot please everybody.
    cpenuliar

Post  cpenuliar on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 3:42 am

How does self awareness affect your life as of the moment?

On an interpersonal level, self-awareness of my strengths and weaknesses can net the trust of others and increase my credibility -- both of which will increase my leadership effectiveness. When I acknowledge what I have yet to learn, I’m modeling that in my organization or current situation it's okay to admit you don't have all the answers, to make mistakes and most importantly, to ask for help.
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty For Khayee_07

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 2:42 am

I agree with you, when we think things over we commit less mistakes and have better outcomes in return. In relation to Pres. Aquino, i could not agree more with what you said that we, filipinos, also influence in his leadership style, on how he runs our country. For me, the members/ followers defy its leader in the same way the leader represents his members. Although I did not vote for Pres. Aquino I believe that his parents taught him well and have inculcated exemplary values of which he can use for the betterment of our country. Smile
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:32 am

knowing my self even more, enables me to become more transparent with the things that i do...
    i experience less regret with the decisions that i make for i was able to think things out first...

I'd like to see myself being a leader and a follower at the same time... i believe a good leader should be a good follower first... knowing how it feels to be a leader and a follower would make me become a person who objectively make my comments and opinions; and become more aware of how hard it is to be in such position...

well, i guess the way we sees and trust Aquino relate with what kind of people and culture we have, but not in a negative perspective nor in a positive one should i say...
    i can say that many trust Aquino; maybe because of the kind of family where he came from, his foundation as a person and the way he looks! Very Happy Very Happy
    let us all admit it, we also judge through what we see literally... and for us Filipinos, we have the attitude of distinguishing people whether bad or good based from his facial features regardless of how much we know about him/her....
    kristineaajuan
    kristineaajuan

Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One Empty Self-awareness, Trust, and Leadership as One

Post  kristineaajuan on Fri 22 Oct 2010, 1:00 am

According to the given article self-awareness is measured as knowing one’s emotions, preferences, and intuitions (2009). Self Awareness allows you to understand other people, how they perceive you, your attitude and your responses to them in the moment. We might quickly assume that we are self aware, but it is helpful to have a relative scale for awareness. As you develop self awareness you are able to make changes in the thoughts and interpretations you make in your mind. Changing the interpretations in your mind allows you to change your emotions. Self awareness is one of the attributes of Emotional Intelligence and an important factor in achieving success (http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/self-awareness.htm). In nursing, Peplau’s theory stressed the importance of the nurse’s ability to understand his or her own behavior to help others identify perceived difficulties (Tomey & Alligood, 2008). It is important for a person to know himself and his capabilities for him to assess and evaluate his personality and how he could affect or influence other people. Having self awareness allows you to see where your thoughts and emotions are taking you. It also allows you to see the controls of your emotions, behavior, and personality so you can make changes you want. Until you are aware in the moment of the controls to your thoughts, emotions, words, and behavior, you will have difficulty making changes in the direction of your life. Having a clear understanding of your thought and, behavior patterns helps you understand other people. This ability to empathize facilitates better personal and professional relationships (http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/self-awareness.htm).
    Trust is one of the things you will have to actualize in assessing yourself. It is the one of the most difficult things you can give to other people. If you do not trust a person you cannot build a well established relationship with that person. You cannot start a sensible interaction between another people if trust is not well founded. In leadership, if you do not trust your subordinates it will be difficult for you to delegate a task with them because you have doubts on their capabilities. For you to establish a relationship with your members you should build a connection with each other. It is a special kind of leadership that recognizes that we are all connected and therefore have to find the places which are not functioning well and fix them by building relationships of love and trust (Archila as cited by Edwars, 2009). On the other hand, you should also establish this sense of trust from your members for them to follow you. A good leader is also a good follower. If trust between the leader and follower is well establish everything will follow. You can gain respect, honesty and love from your members if you have built a strong foundation of trust with them. You can also have a positive and good working environment with them if you trust each other. Like in a boy-girl relationship, if trust is broken the relationship is most likely to fall apart.
    The behaviors emphasized in the model of Avolio are essential traits in the development of an authentic leader. However, the model itself for me is quite ambiguous. As taught to us, a conceptual framework should manifest the content of your study. It should be easy to understand. With Avolio’s model, too much relationship was shown as manifested by the arrows indicated in the model. But the incorporation of self awareness is what I like most about the model. Self awareness influences a lot in a person’s actions and in his decision making. When you evaluate yourself different factors are also taken into consideration such as your environment, beliefs and culture. People tend to make quick decisions which are strongly influenced by environment and culture; thus culture influences learning and responses in leadership situations (Horton-Deutsch & Sherwood, 2008).

In summary, to answer the title of the article on whether authentic leadership is a new theory for nursing or back to basics, most likely it is back to basics, for the reason that any leader to be an effective leader he must have examined himself first before he can offer himself to other people. The notion of authenticity or “know thyself” is already a given fact and need not be taught by others. It should come from us. A person must reflect about himself once in a while to maintain his equilibrium in life.

Guide questions:
    1. How does self awareness affect your life as of the moment?
    2. Do you see yourself as a leader or a follower?
    3. With the current situation of our country can you say that the Filipinos have given their full trust with President Aquino?

Bibliography:
    Tomey, A. & Alligood, M. 2008. Nursing Theorists and Their Work. Philippines. Elsevier (Singapore) PTE LTD.
    Wong, C. & Cummings, G. 2009. Authentic Leadership: a new theory for nursing or back to basics?n.d. Journal of Health Organization and Management. 23. 522-538.
    http://www.pathwaytohappiness.com/self-awareness.htm
    Horton- Deutsche, S. & Sherwood G. Reflection: an educational strategy to develop emotionally competent nurse leaders. N.d. Journal of Nursing Management. 2008. 16. 946–954.
    Edwards, M. 2009. Transformative Leadership' Employs Spirituality for Social Change. Chronicle of Philantrophy. 22. Oct. 1, 2009. http://web.ebscohost.com.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content