UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+10
evancarlo
Kriselda Anne Moreno
silva731
Josh
Kriselda Manzano
luder
Divinia Joy Tuzon
Cristina Mariano
gary.orosa
Admin
14 posters

Reflective Paper 1

Cristina Mariano

Reflective Paper 1 - Page 2 Empty Re: Reflective Paper 1

Post  Cristina Mariano Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:06 pm

Like what Prof. Butcon said last night, the frameworks or models that nursing schools are implementing should be reassessed every most often if it adheres to the goals of the school or the organization, this is the part where the need for tedious process of scrutinizing be done so that the products(students) be competitively known and bring within them the knowledge and values (sciencia y' virtud) they learned from school enhanced by their practical experience. A good formulation of the goals and objectives as well as methodological strategies to implement them is one weak point certain institutions which is blinded by the high demand of the nursing profession.. We, as soon to be administrators should not be one of them but instead carry on with us the knowledge we'll gain from this class..
    Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:13 pm

Dear Patrick,

That is how we learn. We first have to accept that we need to learn! Its not bad to feel we are so novice at work.

I am glad to read your reflection. Your humility will make you better everyday. Glad to have you in my class.

Jesson

patmarban wrote:
    More knowledge, more exciting
    A lot to know about teaching
    My cup of knowledge is overflowing
    All these need implementing!

To put my feelings into writing, I wrote the verse above. The thought of having so many options and tools to use in teaching simply overwhelmed me with excitement! Having taught for barely 2 months, it has been my passion to instill knowledge and learning to my students. I even went through a few researches about techniques and tools in teaching the moment my teaching load was given to me. Yet, having attended the lecture last night simply made me feel “lacking but having more.”

Upon hearing the lecturer last night, I felt lacking in terms of instructional design; to put it more blatantly, I felt so novice and naïve in the teaching field. During my 2 months of teaching Human Anatomy and Physiology to Nursing students, I already had some feeling of satisfaction and accomplishment. I assessed the learning styles of my students and implemented several kinds of tools, including movies on gross dissection, small group discussions, lectures, reporting, demonstrations, and concept mapping. Yet, Sir Butcon’s presentation last night showed me a vast number of techniques and tools available for use in teaching. With that, I felt so naïve with having used just a few for the past 2 months.

On the other hand, I felt that I have something more after I have listened to last night’s presentation. I became more interested than before in teaching, knowing that I will be able to have an education expert’s guidance in curriculum and instruction principles. Before, I only saw curriculum development as the job of higher administrators, yet here I am starting to learn about developing a curriculum. Having very high goals in life, I thought I can use this when I finally run a system in the future! Also, I was able to appreciate better the fact that having curriculum and instruction knowledge will make me a better critic and leader in the future.

Having both Jesuit and Lasallian formation, I really felt inclined to learner-centered principles. Now I realize what my previous teachers and professors have been doing; they have been varying their teaching techniques. Because of that, I became very interested to do the same to my students. Indeed, the instructional design overview last night gave me positive mixed feelings and eagerness to teach!

Last edited by Admin on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:15 pm

luder wrote:I would like to reflect on my first reflection, if I may. It seems that I was so negative. I hope you don't get me wrong. Like all of you, I too was inspired by last night’s discussion. Aside from all the bickering in my first reflection, I also realized how beautiful and meaningful teaching can be. As I said it’s just short of raising the students as your own children.

I don’t mean to kiss ass… but the way sir butcon talked about teaching last night… You can see it in his eyes that THIS! is where he wants to be, THIS! is what he wants to do. I was really taken by the discussion. Then I thought, what would happen if all of the teachers we had were like this? My hat’s off to you sir! You’re doing a very good job!

Mark my words guys… I will become a nurse educator!!!

Luder,
    With Sir Butcon's discussion last night, I think we can all say that we will become a nurse educator someday. A great one. With this kind of background in instructional design, I am challenged to pursue my "dream" after all. I do not say that at this moment I am ready to take the challenge, but upon enolling in Masters program, the rush, the experience, the learnings, it will help us a lot in becoming a great educator someday. Goodluck. Smile

Last edited by Kriselda Anne Moreno on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
    gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:15 pm

on another subject sir jesson is there a way to make the fonts bigger and more contrasting? hard to read everything kasi and the menus above dont seem to work.or my eyes may have already been strained since i was here quite early

perhaps huge green colored fonts? hehe...
    patmarban

Post  patmarban Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:15 pm

Sir Gary, you have tackled a lot of aspects with last night’s discussion, from the teaching styles and covert/overt objectives to the Lasallian heritage. Apparently, we came from the same nursing school and I agree that there is indeed a difference in the method of learning in Dr. Carlos Lanting when compared to UERM. I hope that now we’re learning about curriculum and development we can see the weaknesses of other organizations and turn it to positive by learning from their mistakes and applying the knowledge we get from our discussions to our own values.
    Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:16 pm

yes sir looking forward to our tomorrow's face to face class.. I am astounded by your expertise in the course.. Hoping to be like you too.. Smile Congrats for being so effective..

Admin wrote:Glad to hear that you are "positively" challenged!

Jesson
    Cristina Mariano wrote:With last night’s discussion relating to the underlying concepts of Curriculum, Instruction and Learner-Centered Principles, I have been overwhelmed by the challenge of what encompass the entire subject matter. Teaching and Staff training is indeed a continuous process which involves paired existence of professional learning and growth. The challenge of creatively constructing a method that will suit every personality or intelligence of a student is a painstaking but fulfilling role on the part of the instructor if each of the students’ need is met. The learner-centered approach is a very capable scheme in teaching. Its principles really focus and help students learn by themselves with the guidance of their instructor and along the process, independence blossoms.

I for my personal experience as a student have also been taught the traditional way, cannot guarantee myself that I have absorbed most of the topics that have been taught to us. And I must say that this is the dare to educators to device a method that will help students enjoy not become bored as they are learning. Inclusion of lively drills, games, humor, technology and multi-dimensional teaching principles into instructor’s methods of instruction could be a great tool especially today, where the door to contemporary world of learning is through capturing student’s interests and attending to their needs in the most knowledgeable way.

The surprise of enrolling in a masteral program is learning with eagerness and self motivation. Being used to spoon feeding type of learning has placed a negative habit of dependence on the teacher but now, the challenge for me as I am in this course will be of great help to improve myself learn and grow professionally. The knowledge of this course will surely be a great vehicle for educational improvement that sooner or later we will use when we are educators, administrators, and trainers as well.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:19 pm

After reading all of the comments, I noticed that most of my classmates are really considering working as an educator in the near future while some are already engaged in the academe. I also wanted to become a teacher when I was younger. I did not dream of being a clinical instructor, not even a high school teacher. You might laugh but yes, I really wanted to be a pre-school teacher before. However, like some of you, I realized way back then that becoming an educator is really a serious job. Just like nursing, teaching is not just a profession; it is more of a vocation. Students will depend a lot on you. But after the discussion and the insights made, I also realize that maybe, just maybe I can also be an educator too. Not because I’ll be able to master the knowledge or the skills needed in the process but mainly because I’ve experienced what it is to become a learner. I sincerely admire my classmates and Sir as well for their passion to teach. I know it will be hard at first but definitely, you can and you will be nurse educators--soon.
    gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:19 pm

that is right sir patrick and sir jesson. arrogance has no place in the hearts of educators. it is the humility and acceptance of one's weaknesses that will make one an effective educator...
    patmarban

Post  patmarban Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:22 pm

Ma’am Cristina, we share the same sentiments upon listening to the discussion last meeting. I, too, felt overwhelmed and excited to apply our new knowledge as an educator. It is really a challenge to implement learner-centered style because of the complex factors we have to consider, as opposed to the easy and tempting traditional style.
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:24 pm

A first, I aslo wanted to be a pre-school teacher. I just can't resist the kids. But after college, I actually considered being a nurse educator, but as I have said, i didn't have the guts to do so at first. My fear is that, maybe I cannot teach my future students the way they deserve to learn, that what if I taught them something wrong, someone's life may be in jeopardy. I have that fear. But I guess we can all conquer that, more experience and learning pa siguro, magiging magaling din tayo someday. And the future students will be very proud of us too.

Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:After reading all of the comments, I noticed that most of my classmates are really considering working as an educator in the near future while some are already engaged in the academe. I also wanted to become a teacher when I was younger. I did not dream of being a clinical instructor, not even a high school teacher. You might laugh but yes, I really wanted to be a pre-school teacher before. However, like some of you, I realized way back then that becoming an educator is really a serious job. Just like nursing, teaching is not just a profession; it is more of a vocation. Students will depend a lot on you. But after the discussion and the insights made, I also realize that maybe, just maybe I can also be an educator too. Not because I’ll be able to master the knowledge or the skills needed in the process but mainly because I’ve experienced what it is to become a learner. I sincerely admire my classmates and Sir as well for their passion to teach. I know it will be hard at first but definitely, you can and you will be nurse educators--soon.
    gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:27 pm

i think the next challenge of being an effective educator will be the aspect of experience, employed nursing experience. however for second coursers like us, hospitals usually shy away from us especially when they know you are above 30 years of age. but education is a positive career path i also hope to pursue
    Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:29 pm

yes sir patrick, being challenged is healthy.. It brings out the best in you.. I can see everyone has great potential to being successful..

patmarban wrote:Ma’am Cristina, we share the same sentiments upon listening to the discussion last meeting. I, too, felt overwhelmed and excited to apply our new knowledge as an educator. It is really a challenge to implement learner-centered style because of the complex factors we have to consider, as opposed to the easy and tempting traditional style.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:37 pm

Hello Ms. Kriselda Anne, thank you for the message. I must say that we have the same sentiments then.. That is also one of my biggest fears in considering teaching Nursing students. The thing about our profession is that our patients are our clients. We cannot simply say "Sorry Sir" after removing the wrong tube, for example. But yes, I agree and I really believe that we can all conquer our fears. I know I'm still young and will have to learn more but I am hopeful that just like you and our other classmates, I'll be a good nurse too. I'm looking forward to meet you personally tomorrow!

Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:A first, I aslo wanted to be a pre-school teacher. I just can't resist the kids. But after college, I actually considered being a nurse educator, but as I have said, i didn't have the guts to do so at first. My fear is that, maybe I cannot teach my future students the way they deserve to learn, that what if I taught them something wrong, someone's life may be in jeopardy. I have that fear. But I guess we can all conquer that, more experience and learning pa siguro, magiging magaling din tayo someday. And the future students will be very proud of us too.

Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:After reading all of the comments, I noticed that most of my classmates are really considering working as an educator in the near future while some are already engaged in the academe. I also wanted to become a teacher when I was younger. I did not dream of being a clinical instructor, not even a high school teacher. You might laugh but yes, I really wanted to be a pre-school teacher before. However, like some of you, I realized way back then that becoming an educator is really a serious job. Just like nursing, teaching is not just a profession; it is more of a vocation. Students will depend a lot on you. But after the discussion and the insights made, I also realize that maybe, just maybe I can also be an educator too. Not because I’ll be able to master the knowledge or the skills needed in the process but mainly because I’ve experienced what it is to become a learner. I sincerely admire my classmates and Sir as well for their passion to teach. I know it will be hard at first but definitely, you can and you will be nurse educators--soon.
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:37 pm

That's the challenging part of applying the learner-centered approach, in order to please ALL of your students, you have to be creative in such a way that everyone will learn. Dun sa easy and tempting traditional style of teaching, although it provides extensive knowledge, exhausting naman siya and hindi fun. Sabi nga ni Sir Butcon, learning should be fun. Smile

patmarban wrote:Ma’am Cristina, we share the same sentiments upon listening to the discussion last meeting. I, too, felt overwhelmed and excited to apply our new knowledge as an educator. It is really a challenge to implement learner-centered style because of the complex factors we have to consider, as opposed to the easy and tempting traditional style.
    patmarban

Post  patmarban Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:38 pm

Dear Divinia, I can relate to you. Being in an accelerated medicine course before, I understand what you’re going through. My older classmates before were so sure about why they want to take medicine what to do after finishing medicine school, while I was just thinking how to get rich! I’m glad that even if your purpose of enrolling is still not clear, you still decided to further your education by taking MSN. In today’s society, you can’t go wrong with continuing education!
    evancarlo

Post  evancarlo Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:38 pm

I agree Sir Luther. Before, we were asked that same question, regarding our mission and vision, it was the Accreditation of PAASCU for level III. It wasnt a big deal for me if we dont know coz at that time my goal is to finish my study and be a nurse and go to abroad.

But as i go through life, i just realized that all i am now as a nurse was honed by UERM. Though we did not achieve the 100% passing rate in the board exam due to leakage -we are still proud that we are a graduate of UERM that we carry our pride as being competitive and the BEST among its peers.

I learned a lot from the discussion last night especially the learner centered approach. during my C.I. days, i intend to teach my students the culture of UERM and be competitive in what they do. As they say, you cant pleased evrybody, though i had the lowest evaluation from our batch of CI's but its ok, its a learning experience for me. and i know that i have a long way to go.. As Sir butcin told us before, Quantity doesnt matter at all, its the quality that makes it count.

Now,as i travel in the path of MSN in UERM, i beleived i wil gain more knowledge in the academe and will further broaden my knowledge and learn more things ahead. i feel that the discussion yesterday was to give us insight of the academe and its curriculum and how are we goona respond to the needs and adapting teaching styles to further give quality education in nursing
    Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:42 pm

Ms. Moreno,

Like you SOME of my professors back in college where stocked in the old fashioned way of teaching. I really find their method boring. So, what I usually do back then is to face my book rather than listening to them. But there are those educators who always excite me every time they stand in front of the classroom and they are the one who makes use of learner-centered approach (at least now I know the approach that they are using).

Like what I have said on my reflection, I experienced being a student and learning that there is a systematic way to deliver one’s subject matter and evaluate your student’s performance is an edge. I am looking forward for tomorrow’s discussion.

Thank you Sir for teaching us well and being an inspiration to us!

Kriselda Manzano
    yvette

Post  yvette Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:43 pm

Reflection:
    -by yvette
    During the class yesterday, I realized a lot of things. The curriculum of every institution is essential. It serves as a guide and framework towards the fulfillment and success of a school, for example. Back then, I have always thought that the Mission-Vision of UERM is a signature and merely to attract enrollees. However, with the recent facts, it does prove that UERM is “becoming the best among its peers”. This pave the reason of my parents as to why they were very particular with the brand of school I and my siblings were enrolled in. It molds its students in accordance with their envision, whereby, today, UERM is number one in the top leading schools in the Philippines. Indeed, despite the long process and time allotted, the efforts and sacrifices of the few committed and devoted staff involved in the UERM curriculum has bared good fruit.

The topic on hidden curriculum is quite vague but given the example of being a lasallite as an explanation, I have understood it quite well. Based from experience, the spirit of being a knoller (I am an alumni of Maryknoll/Miriam school) still lives in me today. They have visioned their students to produce professionally competent and socially effective individuals to make a difference in the society. The values and education imparted in me by my former school equipped me well to face everyday challenges. Known for its green fields and mini forest made me a nature lover and keen with regards to having a clean environment. Ruled by Maryknoll sisters, the catholic teachings have inculcated in me. Who I am at present can be attributed to the learnings I gained in my school. Similar with Mr. Butcon being a “Lasalista”, I am as proud as him though also has rival schools. The concept that the hidden curriculum reveals is the thought that schools or any institutions do more than merely transmit knowledge in evidence of the written official curriculum. Behind it lies facts including criticism of the social, cultural and political underpinnings in the society which adds on to the personality of an individual.

From the discussion, the topic on learning centered approach interests me most. I would like to read on the book on multiple intelligence by Howard Gardner as recommended by Mr. Butcon. From the gist explanation of the concept, I think many people will benefit, not only educators but also parents and guardians, since this may serve as their basis to reflect on to their methods or practice and to be open minded to other teaching styles in accordance to the personality of the child. Also, It may encourage them to look beyond the narrow confines of the set curriculum leading to improvement.

Learning, as set out by any curriculum, is endless. It is open for changes to have room for advancement. Learning takes place at any given time and space. We learn through books, media and other instructional materials. We learn through other people. We learn through our own experiences. In fact, we learn every minute of every day. What matters most in learning is how we understand and synthesize each learning experience in our lives.
    patmarban

Post  patmarban Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:43 pm

Sir Luther, take one step at a time. The lecture last night stretched our standards tenfold! We may not be the best educators at this time, but with time, effort, practice, passion, dedication, and continuing education, we may surpass our standards before we even realize it!

luder wrote:My mother is a public school teacher and has been so longer than my existence. I also want to teach. I’ve always thought that I have the inclination even before I finished college. I found that I have the patience and probably enough resources to pull it off. I may probably even be a good teacher, by my standards that is. I’ve learned some techniques from my previous professors that seem to be effective teaching tools.

But after last night’s discussion, I’m at a loss. I began to start questioning my qualifications and my ability to teach effectively. Its one thing to teach a student how to read, write and count. It’s another thing to teach a student how to take care of a sick person, or maybe even save another life. After I graduated from nursing school, I wanted to go back and teach. But now, it’s not about what I wanted to do anymore, its all about what I can really give the students.

It was mentioned that educators are responsible for the development of a student’s personhood. As they teach, they also impart values to the students. This is such a heavy task. Can I do this? Am I qualified? Personhood… it almost equates to raising a child. A teacher as a second parent, that’s something to really consider. It’s very scary…

Then I realized, as a future nurse educator, I won’t be handling a bunch of kids. At best, I’ll be handling inexperienced young adults. It may be safe to assume that they already have a working personality that I don’t have to worry about ruining or damaging. It’s just an assumption. I may be wrong. So there is still a risk. And this risk is not limited only to the students I’ll be handling. They will be future nurses, so the threat will reach their future patients.

Again I ask myself, can I live with the fact that maybe someday one of my nursing students will do something stupid and jeopardize a patient because at some point I made a mistake in the way I taught this person? This is my concern. Wanting so much to be an effective teacher, I may as well just step aside and let the real pros do it. I wouldn’t want to stand in the way of real education.
    Josh

Post  Josh Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:48 pm

Same here sir gary and sir Luder. Until now i am adjusting to the new MSn program we had. i hope with the principles of intructional design i can mange to finish the course.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:50 pm

Hello Sir Patrick, it felt good after reading your message. As of now, I still haven't decided what exact path I'll be heading to after this first sem. However, with all sincerity, I am really not after any title or position.. Please don't get me wrong, being an educator like you is a good thing and so is the idea of being a hospital administrator in the future. That would be really nice, plus the thought of earning my very first salary makes me really smile! But all I am working and praying for as of now is to become a good nurse. I'm glad to have really nice classmates like you who continually inspires and motivates me in this process.

patmarban wrote:Dear Divinia, I can relate to you. Being in an accelerated medicine course before, I understand what you’re going through. My older classmates before were so sure about why they want to take medicine what to do after finishing medicine school, while I was just thinking how to get rich! I’m glad that even if your purpose of enrolling is still not clear, you still decided to further your education by taking MSN. In today’s society, you can’t go wrong with continuing education!
    evancarlo

Post  evancarlo Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:50 pm

Every one of us are afraid at first coz we dont know yet are capabilities. by accepting the challenge that comes ahead, it is where we find our strength and courage. as sir patick said, we need to first accept.

Until now, im always taking each subject as a challenge. not primaraily excelling on it but for me to adapt and take new information and share it with others. as sir butcon said, in order for us to learn, we need to share it with others. we go on a process of adapting and learning new things and applying them.

By the knowledge that i gained last night, it adds up sloely to my maturity as a graduate student and to be more effective educator in the future.
    Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:50 pm

Kriselda,

I am also aware by now of what our previous professors' teaching style is..

Whether we learn or not much from them, the experience of them being our teachers made us distinctively realize how to be an effective one... Smile

Kriselda Manzano wrote:Ms. Moreno,

Like you SOME of my professors back in college where stocked in the old fashioned way of teaching. I really find their method boring. So, what I usually do back then is to face my book rather than listening to them. But there are those educators who always excite me every time they stand in front of the classroom and they are the one who makes use of learner-centered approach (at least now I know the approach that they are using).

Like what I have said on my reflection, I experienced being a student and learning that there is a systematic way to deliver one’s subject matter and evaluate your student’s performance is an edge. I am looking forward for tomorrow’s discussion.

Thank you Sir for teaching us well and being an inspiration to us!

Kriselda Manzano

Last edited by Cristina Mariano on Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:56 pm; edited 1 time in total
    patmarban

Post  patmarban Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:51 pm

I agree that having these discussions about curriculum and instruction helped us pinpoint our previous teachers' styles. With these new realizations, we are also motivated to apply the techniques and be able to create effective ways to help others learn.

Kriselda Manzano wrote: Now after our discussion last night, I can clearly pinpoint who among of them used this approach because it is from them that I know I’ve learned a lot. I experienced being an undergrad student and hopefully will soon join the academe workforce. Without a doubt, I will utilize LC approach to provide opportunities for my incoming students to construct and be accountable for their own learning, given the fact that I am there to point the way towards useful resources and ask thought provoking questions. I believe that an ideal teacher should apply LC approach to learn with the students and make them feel that teachers are their partners in the learning process.

Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano Tue 12 Aug 2008, 10:51 pm

Sir Josh,
    Thank you for believing. I know i have to prove alot before entering the academe like you.. I am hoping to learn more in instructional design to use it in the NEAR future.

Josh wrote:Hi kriselda,

As a novice Instructor in UERM, acceptance of being still inequipped with teaching skills is already a good sign that you will become a good educator. Intellectual humility opens rooms for growth and development. i do believe that we have all the skills to teach and what we need to do is to practice it.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 29 Mar 2024, 3:35 pm