E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning


    Discussion Forum 4

    avatar
    Admin
    Admin

    Posts : 58
    Join date : 2007-11-15

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Discussion Forum 4

    Post  Admin on Sun 17 Aug 2008, 8:43 am

    Dear Students,

    We need a break! You may rest for the rest of the Sunday (or maybe write your final requirements)

    For Monday, the article for discussion is:

    Learning Concepts With Cases
    -Laya, Luther

    Deadline is Tuesday, August 19, 6AM. Same guidelines apply.

    Good luck!

    Jesson

    P.S. ONLINE CLASS (SYNCHRONOUS) IS ON WEDNESADY. I will give to Patrick OR EMAIL the reading materials for this class.

    avatar
    luder

    Posts : 42
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  luder on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 6:55 pm



    Learning Concepts With Cases
    By Kathy Galluci

    The article is about how the case study method can be used to address learning problems in science courses. The author cited the National Research Council’s (2005) conclusion that there are three principles that can be used to foster learning in science education. The first principle is to determine the student’s alternative conceptions of the subject matter based on their prior knowledge. Second is to develop a conceptual framework based on factual knowledge. And third, to have students take control of their learning through metacognitive approaches.

    The author considered the case study method as a backward design, where learning activities is focused on what the teacher would like to students to learn. In other words, the goals of learning are first determined before the learning activities are designed and implemented. Critics of this design would say that it is teaching-for-coverage or teaching-for-test(1) and not teaching-for-understanding. Because, essentially, the content of the evaluation tool is what is being taught.

    Pls. consider the following for discussion:

    How applicable are the three principles (alternative conceptions, conceptual framework, metacognitive approaches) to the present practice of presenting cases in our nursing schools? Or do you think that it is already being applied?

    Considering what we’ve learned in instructional design, will the backward nature of the case study method hinder rather than facilitate learning in nursing schools?

    How ready is our nursing faculty in facilitating the case study method using the given principles?

    (1) retrieved August 18, 2008 from http://www.instructionaldesign.org/models/backward_design.html

    avatar
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

    Posts : 65
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 8:09 pm

    The article provides us once again with another pedagogical concept on how educators can improve the students’ learning. The case study method is a constructivist approach that addresses the three important principles on how students can learn more effectively (specifically science courses) inside the classroom: by (1) addressing the students’ alternative conceptions based on their prior knowledge, (2) providing a foundation of knowledge using a conceptual framework, (3) teaching students on how to control their learning through metacognitive approaches.

    I believe that the use of this approach will pave way for all students not only those involved in the nursing profession to understand and appreciate the lessons presented to them. The major advantage of using the case study method is that it encourages the interest of the students by relating it to the subject matter. This is supported by Seperich et al (1996) in their report, “Experience has shown that case studies bring interesting, real-world situations into the classroom.” One of the factors affecting the students’ learning is their interest in the subject matter. Students appreciate and therefore grapple the lessons more when they see it relevant in their lives. Also, the use of this method enhances the reasoning skills because students view the concepts from a new and different perspective. Ideally, the cases are complex and even controversial, such that the students are engaged and motivated to explore the subject (Richmond and Neureither, 1998). In relation to our classes here at UERM, as we discuss specific topics with our fellow students (for instance, the articles we have been reviewing in our Instructional class), we learn that decision making and critical thinking is often a confrontational activity involving people with different points of view. But what is most important is that we learn how to work toward consensus while tolerating legitimate different opinions from others.

    REFERENCES:

    (n.d.). “The Case Method”. Harvard Business School. Article retrieved August 18, 2008 from http://www.hbs.edu/case/

    Seperich, G., Woolverton, M., Beierlein, J. and Hahn, D. (1996). “Introduction to the Case-Study Method”. Article retrieved August 18, 2008 from http://www.uidaho.edu/ag/agecon/391/casestudmeth.html

    Richmond, G., and B. Neureither. (1998). "Making a Case for Cases". American Biology Teacher, 60. Retrieved August 18, 2008 from http://www.core.org.cn/OcwWeb/Biology/7-391Spring-2006/Readings/index.htm
    avatar
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

    Posts : 65
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 8:34 pm

    Though the case study method may be considered as a backward design, I do not see it as something that negates the idea of “teaching-for-understanding”. By using the case study methods, educators are able to design interesting learning experiences for their students (Gallucci, 2006). It focuses their thoughts on what concepts they want their students to understand and how it can improve the students learning and not just merely teach what’s included in the curriculum. Harvard Business School (n.d.) believes that it redefines the traditional educational dynamic in which the professor dispenses knowledge and students passively receive it. What makes case method a positive approach is that it creates a classroom in which students succeed not by simply absorbing facts and theories, but also by exercising the skills of leadership and teamwork in the face of real problems. Personally, I believe that it allows students to view the topics presented to them as parts of a meaningful whole rather than individual concepts merely taken from the book to be presented in the class. Cases should not just turn out as "busy work" given to fill up the students’ time. It should be used to improve student learning. When approached and carried out properly, Seperich et al (1996) believe that case analysis can be extremely beneficial in preparing the students by giving them a chance to develop decision-making skills in the classroom.

    It is feasible in the Philippine setting and I believe that our educators today are already prepared to adapt this approach. Some schools such as my alma mater are already practicing it by incorporating it to the lessons they present to their students by means of news articles, video segments, film showing and the like. With the extensive and diverse supply our generation has, educators are able to tailor-made their lessons depending on the needs of their students. Under their skillful guidance, students can work together to analyze and synthesize conflicting data and points of view, persuade and inspire others who think differently, and even redefine and prioritize goals for better learning.
    REFERENCES:

    (n.d.). “The Case Method”. Harvard Business School. Article retrieved August 18, 2008 from http://www.hbs.edu/case/

    Gallucci, K. (2006). “Learning Concepts with Cases”. Journal of College Science Teaching, 36, 16.

    Seperich, G., Woolverton, M., Beierlein, J. and Hahn, D. (1996). “Introduction to the Case-Study Method”. Article retrieved August 18, 2008 from http://www.uidaho.edu/ag/agecon/391/casestudmeth.html


    luder wrote:

    Pls. consider the following for discussion:

    How applicable are the three principles (alternative conceptions, conceptual framework, metacognitive approaches) to the present practice of presenting cases in our nursing schools? Or do you think that it is already being applied?

    Considering what we’ve learned in instructional design, will the backward nature of the case study method hinder rather than facilitate learning in nursing schools?

    How ready is our nursing faculty in facilitating the case study method using the given principles?

    (1) retrieved August 18, 2008 from http://www.instructionaldesign.org/models/backward_design.html

    avatar
    Josh

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2008-08-11

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Learning concepts with cases

    Post  Josh on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 9:02 pm

    Good evening everyone. As a novice instructor, I am one of the proponents of autonomy in learning or what is popularly known as the existentialist approach. The existentialist approach was clearly explained in the article WHAT IS LEARNING THROUGH UNFOLDMENT OR SELF-ACTUALIZATION (from Bigge and Shermis, 1999 p.32-32)? In the article, the author claims that learning, in the traditional sense, generally is conceived to be some form of imposition of ideas or standards upon a person or organism. However, within existentialist humanism there is little need for this kind of learning. Instead, a student is expected:
    • To learn through the promptings of one's own interests. Hence, there should be no coercion or prescription.
    • A mind, in its growth process, may be considered analogous to an egg in the process of hatching. Its growth is a natural operation, which, without imposition from any outside source, carries its own momentum.
    This theoretical approach is basically utilized by the constructivists in their pedagogical approaches. There is no imposition of learning content however, the students are given other perspective (or maybe situations they can relate to facilitate understanding) that can clearly explain the learning content. After a student had find solution to the cases given, this is the “Ahh” reaction.
    With regard to organization of learning content to conceptual framework, this is being practice already in some of our nursing concepts, in MS in explaining pathophysiology. This is an advantage, knowing for a fact the voluminous concepts, terms and principles in Nursing; the case presentation will hone the skill of nursing students in correlating certain concepts and principles by connecting the relationships of terms in understanding the disease processes.
    Metacognition is ideal for it helps the student monitor and assess progress in learning. Students will learn self-awareness, starting with the acceptance of ignorance of knowledge and a confidence knowing that as an individual endowed with the capacity to know. This approach then will give students proper directions in their search for knowledge and a self-monitoring of his/her progress.
    I think this is also the direction of our instructional design course. In this course we are being presented with new pedagogical approaches and integrate our learning in improving our traditional teaching skills.
    Maybe, seasoned faculty or senior faculty, are still unprepared to embrace this approach. However, advantages and positive outcome of this method to our current and future students will pave the way for delightful acceptance from our senior faculty.


    avatar
    luder

    Posts : 42
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  luder on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 9:03 pm

    indeed, real life cases brings out the interest in the students. but let us not forget that as interested as they are, the learning may veer away from the set goal. that is why the teacher must be careful in picking out the proper cases depending on the subject matter at hand.

    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

    I believe that the use of this approach will pave way for all students not only those involved in the nursing profession to understand and appreciate the lessons presented to them. The major advantage of using the case study method is that it encourages the interest of the students by relating it to the subject matter. This is supported by Seperich et al (1996) in their report, “Experience has shown that case studies bring interesting, real-world situations into the classroom.” One of the factors affecting the students’ learning is their interest in the subject matter. Students appreciate and therefore grapple the lessons more when they see it relevant in their lives. Also, the use of this method enhances the reasoning skills because students view the concepts from a new and different perspective. Ideally, the cases are complex and even controversial, such that the students are engaged and motivated to explore the subject (Richmond and Neureither, 1998).

    avatar
    luder

    Posts : 42
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  luder on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 9:31 pm

    please explain the italicized phrase further because based on the article there must be a set topic to be followed by a corresponding/appropriate case for this method to be successful. so how can you say that there is no imposed learning content in case study method?

    Josh wrote:

    There is no imposition of learning content however, the students are given other perspective (or maybe situations they can relate to facilitate understanding) that can clearly explain the learning content. After a student had find solution to the cases given, this is the “Ahh” reaction.

    avatar
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

    Posts : 65
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 9:38 pm

    Yes Sir Luther, it is very essential that educators scrutinize carefully the cases they present in their class. Not only should the cases interest and relate to the students but moreover, it should first be relevant to the topic presented. Therefore before selecting cases to be used in the class, educators should go back and review the goals and objectives they want to achieve. As what the article says, finding the right case for the right concept with the right approach may not be easy that is why cooperative learning and peer coaching is encouraged.

    luder wrote:indeed, real life cases brings out the interest in the students. but let us not forget that as interested as they are, the learning may veer away from the set goal. that is why the teacher must be careful in picking out the proper cases depending on the subject matter at hand.

    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

    I believe that the use of this approach will pave way for all students not only those involved in the nursing profession to understand and appreciate the lessons presented to them. The major advantage of using the case study method is that it encourages the interest of the students by relating it to the subject matter. This is supported by Seperich et al (1996) in their report, “Experience has shown that case studies bring interesting, real-world situations into the classroom.” One of the factors affecting the students’ learning is their interest in the subject matter. Students appreciate and therefore grapple the lessons more when they see it relevant in their lives. Also, the use of this method enhances the reasoning skills because students view the concepts from a new and different perspective. Ideally, the cases are complex and even controversial, such that the students are engaged and motivated to explore the subject (Richmond and Neureither, 1998).

    avatar
    Josh

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2008-08-11

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  Josh on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 9:47 pm

    There is no imposition of learning content and that is my opinion about the topic, because case study allows students to discover things on new or different perspectives. Acknowledging the multi-facets of knowledge, and not imposing an instructor's own view of knowledge.
    luder wrote:please explain the italicized phrase further because based on the article there must be a set topic to be followed by a corresponding/appropriate case for this method to be successful. so how can you say that there is no imposed learning content in case study method?

    Josh wrote:

    There is no imposition of learning content however, the students are given other perspective (or maybe situations they can relate to facilitate understanding) that can clearly explain the learning content. After a student had find solution to the cases given, this is the “Ahh” reaction.

    avatar
    patmarban

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2008-08-11
    Age : 36
    Location : Quezon City

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  patmarban on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 9:49 pm

    In relation to the “holiday-economized” Ninoy Aquino day today, I was able to contemplate few things about my childhood. Being born in the era of People Power, I remember frequently asking my parents, “Ma, Pa, sino mas matalino, si Ninoy ba o si Marcos?” Then, my parents would readily answer, “Si Ninoy, kasi si Marcos bad yon.” I am sure I asked that question to them more than once, but they still gave me the same answer. As I grew up, I learned to answer that question myself and I thought, my parents used the question as a tool to teach me values. Although they could have answered otherwise because Marcos was able to develop the Philippines to its peak economy, they used a constructivist approach in teaching me values. As I was aware of the killings done by Marcos, they used my question to emphasize the difference between good acts and bad acts, and that intelligence is best with virtue. Constructivist learning approach is defined by Yost, et al. in 2000 (as cited in Densten & Gray, 2001) as a way to learn by relating one’s past and familiar events to new concepts that would, in turn, imbibe new understandings to the learner. According to the article, the case method approach follows this constructivist principle. Coming straight from high school, first year nursing students will benefit from using the case study method because of two important reasons, namely: they already have science background from high school and they have high cognitive ability.

    Having science background can trigger interest. A good instructor will be aware of the existing knowledge to tap in order to introduce new concepts to the learners. For instance, in introducing the concept of stem cells, the instructor may ask the students to identify the parts of a plant studied back in high school. Stem cells, according to Saladin in 2003, are cells that can develop into several different kinds of functional cells depending on the genetic trigger. The stem of a plant, in the same sense, may grow different fruits depending on the seed. With assessing prior knowledge or alternative conceptions, students have a bridge to relate the new concept to prior knowledge and thus facilitating learning.

    Also, college students in general are in the formal operation stage (Videbeck, 2003). This means they have the ability to reason from abstract concepts. In a case approach, learners are expected to imagine what is happening in the given case. Although the article claims this to be the closest experience to reality, it is still abstract. Therefore, the case method may be an effective approach to nursing students because the level of teaching style corresponds to the level of learner cognition.

    Given the current preparation of faculty and the requirement to have a Masters Degree, I believe nursing instructors in the Philippines are equipped to use this kind of learning style. In UERM, for example, a subject called Instructional Design can be taken as a cognate in the MSN curriculum to pave the way for instructors to enhance their teaching. In conclusion, seeing the big picture is needed in order to understand the intricacies and rationale of the nursing standards and practice. In this sense, the case method will facilitate learning in the nursing field.


    REFERENCES


    Densten, I. L., & Gray, J. H. (2001). Leadership development and reflection: What is the connection? The International Journal of Educational Management, 15(3), 119-124. Retrieved July 4, 2008, from ABI/INFORM Global database.


    Saladin, K. (2003). Anatomy & physiology: The unity of form and function (3rd ed.). The McGraw−Hill
    Companies.


    Videbeck, S. L. (2003). Psychiatric mental health nursing (2nd ed.). Lippincott Williams and Wilkins.


    luder wrote:
    How applicable are the three principles (alternative conceptions, conceptual framework, metacognitive approaches) to the present practice of presenting cases in our nursing schools? Or do you think that it is already being applied?

    Considering what we’ve learned in instructional design, will the backward nature of the case study method hinder rather than facilitate learning in nursing schools?


    How ready is our nursing faculty in facilitating the case study method using the given principles?
    avatar
    patmarban

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2008-08-11
    Age : 36
    Location : Quezon City

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  patmarban on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 9:52 pm

    I agee. Based on experience, it is very difficult to introduce a new concept without associating with prior knowledge. When I get the "blank look" from my students, I know I have to associate more.


    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:
    I believe that the use of this approach will pave way for all students not only those involved in the nursing profession to understand and appreciate the lessons presented to them. The major advantage of using the case study method is that it encourages the interest of the students by relating it to the subject matter. This is supported by Seperich et al (1996) in their report, “Experience has shown that case studies bring interesting, real-world situations into the classroom.”
    avatar
    patmarban

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2008-08-11
    Age : 36
    Location : Quezon City

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  patmarban on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 10:01 pm

    I just want to emphasize the need for skillful assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the instructors for this method to be efficient. During my med school year, I underwent case-based learning. The problem was, we were left by the doctors without any guidance. Also, I cannot recall any assessment made before they gave us the cases. I believe the assessment part could have been improved to make the case method efficient as I did not percieve that learning experience as meaningful during that time.

    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

    It is feasible in the Philippine setting and I believe that our educators today are already prepared to adapt this approach. Some schools such as my alma mater are already practicing it by incorporating it to the lessons they present to their students by means of news articles, video segments, film showing and the like. With the extensive and diverse supply our generation has, educators are able to tailor-made their lessons depending on the needs of their students. Under their skillful guidance, students can work together to analyze and synthesize conflicting data and points of view, persuade and inspire others who think differently, and even redefine and prioritize goals for better learning.
    avatar
    patmarban

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2008-08-11
    Age : 36
    Location : Quezon City

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  patmarban on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 10:05 pm

    I agree. That is the sense of contructivism, letting the learners build their own knowledge which does not necessarily come from the instructor.

    Josh wrote:There is no imposition of learning content and that is my opinion about the topic, because case study allows students to discover things on new or different perspectives. Acknowledging the multi-facets of knowledge, and not imposing an instructor's own view of knowledge.
    luder wrote:please explain the italicized phrase further because based on the article there must be a set topic to be followed by a corresponding/appropriate case for this method to be successful. so how can you say that there is no imposed learning content in case study method?

    Josh wrote:

    There is no imposition of learning content however, the students are given other perspective (or maybe situations they can relate to facilitate understanding) that can clearly explain the learning content. After a student had find solution to the cases given, this is the “Ahh” reaction.

    avatar
    luder

    Posts : 42
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  luder on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 10:06 pm

    i see what you mean. with this method, its up to the student how the knowledge will be understood. point taken!

    Josh wrote:There is no imposition of learning content and that is my opinion about the topic, because case study allows students to discover things on new or different perspectives. Acknowledging the multi-facets of knowledge, and not imposing an instructor's own view of knowledge.
    luder wrote:please explain the italicized phrase further because based on the article there must be a set topic to be followed by a corresponding/appropriate case for this method to be successful. so how can you say that there is no imposed learning content in case study method?

    Josh wrote:

    There is no imposition of learning content however, the students are given other perspective (or maybe situations they can relate to facilitate understanding) that can clearly explain the learning content. After a student had find solution to the cases given, this is the “Ahh” reaction.

    avatar
    patmarban

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2008-08-11
    Age : 36
    Location : Quezon City

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  patmarban on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 10:11 pm

    In this sense, continuing education is encouraged. Who knows, 10 or 20 years from now a new and more effective teaching style may emerge and we will be the traditionalists already!

    Josh wrote:
    Maybe, seasoned faculty or senior faculty, are still unprepared to embrace this approach. However, advantages and positive outcome of this method to our current and future students will pave the way for delightful acceptance from our senior faculty.




    Last edited by patmarban on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 10:24 pm; edited 1 time in total
    avatar
    evancarlo

    Posts : 53
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  evancarlo on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 10:14 pm

    Once again, the article introduces us to a new pedagogical approach to further facilitate learning. The case study addresses principles to follow where students will learn more.

    I strongly believe in this kind of approach to lead the students appreciate and learn more to the lessons presented. Case method is not just presenting information and things you need to prioritize but to also learn on how to act accordingly in a given situation. Students can learn more by real life situations where they can see exactly what's happening and needs to be done. Students can also enhance their reasoning skills because they are more exposed to the subject matter at the same time will develop their decision making skills. As i may say, it's very effective especially to students who are fast learners and can immediately absorb information.

    Cases should not be just to buy their time to see how well they learn but to promote leadership and improve studen'ts learning. The case method approach is seldom used in the Philippines because most of our educators are still using the traditional way and some of them are having a hard time using the approach. That's the challenge for us, to facilitate learning to our students in a way they can appreciate it more.
    avatar
    luder

    Posts : 42
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  luder on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 10:17 pm

    could you please rephrase this paragraph in terms of nursing education where we handle "real life" cases. tnx!

    patmarban wrote:

    Also, college students in general are in the formal operation stage (Videbeck, 2003). This means they have the ability to reason from abstract concepts. In a case approach, learners are expected to imagine what is happening in the given case. Although the article claims this to be the closest experience to reality, it is still abstract. Therefore, the case method may be an effective approach to nursing students because the level of teaching style corresponds to the level of learner cognition.

    avatar
    luder

    Posts : 42
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  luder on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 10:21 pm

    do you not consider the case presentations we did in nursing school as an offshoot of the case study method? if not a modification in the least?

    evancarlo wrote:

    The case method approach is seldom used in the Philippines because most of our educators are still using the traditional way and some of them are having a hard time using the approach. That's the challenge for us, to facilitate learning to our students in a way they can appreciate it more.

    avatar
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

    Posts : 65
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 10:44 pm

    I agree, the use of the case study approach redefines the traditional educational dynamic in which the professor solely dispenses the knowledge while students just passively receive what they say. The case method on the other hand creates an environment where students succeed not by simply absorbing the facts and theories presented to them but by encouraging them to think and reflect as well on their own claims and compare them with their fellow students.


    Josh wrote:There is no imposition of learning content and that is my opinion about the topic, because case study allows students to discover things on new or different perspectives. Acknowledging the multi-facets of knowledge, and not imposing an instructor's own view of knowledge.
    luder wrote:please explain the italicized phrase further because based on the article there must be a set topic to be followed by a corresponding/appropriate case for this method to be successful. so how can you say that there is no imposed learning content in case study method?

    Josh wrote:

    There is no imposition of learning content however, the students are given other perspective (or maybe situations they can relate to facilitate understanding) that can clearly explain the learning content. After a student had find solution to the cases given, this is the “Ahh” reaction.

    avatar
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

    Posts : 65
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 11:27 pm

    Being in a university where students are basically involved in a health-related course, I've noticed that med students are taught differently compared to the other students, specifically nursing students. This made me realize that maybe physicians truly have this “we’re the captain of the ship” mentality. I cannot comment and dwell that much regarding the manner on how med students are supposed to be taught as well as how they learn from such approach. Though they should teach and consider showing more caring behaviors to their patients, if I may say so. It just makes me really proud and happy being involved in this caring profession.


    patmarban wrote:I just want to emphasize the need for skillful assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the instructors for this method to be efficient. During my med school year, I underwent case-based learning. The problem was, we were left by the doctors without any guidance. Also, I cannot recall any assessment made before they gave us the cases. I believe the assessment part could have been improved to make the case method efficient as I did not percieve that learning experience as meaningful during that time.

    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

    It is feasible in the Philippine setting and I believe that our educators today are already prepared to adapt this approach. Some schools such as my alma mater are already practicing it by incorporating it to the lessons they present to their students by means of news articles, video segments, film showing and the like. With the extensive and diverse supply our generation has, educators are able to tailor-made their lessons depending on the needs of their students. Under their skillful guidance, students can work together to analyze and synthesize conflicting data and points of view, persuade and inspire others who think differently, and even redefine and prioritize goals for better learning.
    avatar
    gary.orosa

    Posts : 19
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  gary.orosa on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 11:29 pm

    “Backward design is a process that focuses on assessment first and instructional activities last. It shifts teacher perspectives. Traditional curriculum design often begins with really interesting books or activities we want to teach or are required to cover. We then design a curriculum, often on the go and then decide on some type of assessment at the end. Backward design forces teachers to look at the big picture with the end goals in mind. In backward planning teachers set the vision or the essential understanding of their curriculum or unit, decide how students will provide evidence of their learning, and finally design instructional activities to help kids learn what is needed to be successful.”

    About its applicability here, according to Helena Fagan of the University of Alaska Southeast, It's hard work. The teacher constantly interacts with students, guiding and checking progress. Also, direct instruction remains an important piece of classroom work.

    Case presentations in nursing school may be considered a modification of the backward design at least from my experience; the teacher seemed to perform an assessment first by allowing the students to work on their own in the case presentations, then correct whatever needs to be addressed from there.

    As to the other aspects in nursing instruction it will be a challenging to implement these in class lectures but if we are results oriented then it may be worth it.

    But to the practical side of nursing such as in RLEs with actual patients or hospital duties, if we do the instructional activities last since we deal with lives and due to the safety issues involved, who would want to risk it?

    Forgive my later reply. My broadband connection is intermittent again.


    References:
    Backward Design 101. Retrieved August 18, 2008 from:
    http://www.arps.org/users/ms/coaches/backward%20design%20101.htm

    Starting at the End. Northwest Education Magazine. Retrieved August 18, 2008 from:
    http://www.nwrel.org/nwedu/2002sp/fagan.html

    luder wrote:do you not consider the case presentations we did in nursing school as an offshoot of the case study method? if not a modification in the least?

    evancarlo wrote:

    The case method approach is seldom used in the Philippines because most of our educators are still using the traditional way and some of them are having a hard time using the approach. That's the challenge for us, to facilitate learning to our students in a way they can appreciate it more.

    avatar
    patmarban

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2008-08-11
    Age : 36
    Location : Quezon City

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  patmarban on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 11:33 pm

    For example, in introducing the idea of postpartum depression, which is an abstract concept, the instructor is aware that nursing students are generally in the formal operation stage and are in the stage of developing social relationships (Videbeck, 2003). To discover the learners' alternative cognition about the concept, the instructor may ask, "Have you experienced being left alone by your friends? What did you feel when this happened?" This way, the instructor will be able to assess roughly how the learners are in terms of their psychosocial development while the learners can pull out past experiences to associate with the new concept. Therefore, the case method may be an effective approach to nursing students because the level of teaching style corresponds to the level of learner cognition and psychosocial development.


    luder wrote:could you please rephrase this paragraph in terms of nursing education where we handle "real life" cases. tnx!

    patmarban wrote:

    Also, college students in general are in the formal operation stage (Videbeck, 2003). This means they have the ability to reason from abstract concepts. In a case approach, learners are expected to imagine what is happening in the given case. Although the article claims this to be the closest experience to reality, it is still abstract. Therefore, the case method may be an effective approach to nursing students because the level of teaching style corresponds to the level of learner cognition.

    avatar
    Josh

    Posts : 41
    Join date : 2008-08-11

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  Josh on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 11:46 pm

    very well said Pat. the cases or situation presented by instructor should go along with the daily experiences of students and can be determined by instructor through assessment. The critical assessment therefore is the core guideline in choosing relevant cases and situations to facilitate learning. However, the preparation and practical experiences of instructor are also significant to come up woth a good case study for the students.
    patmarban wrote:For example, in introducing the idea of postpartum depression, which is an abstract concept, the instructor is aware that nursing students are generally in the formal operation stage and are in the stage of developing social relationships (Videbeck, 2003). To discover the learners' alternative cognition about the concept, the instructor may ask, "Have you experienced being left alone by your friends? What did you feel when this happened?" This way, the instructor will be able to assess roughly how the learners are in terms of their psychosocial development while the learners can pull out past experiences to associate with the new concept. Therefore, the case method may be an effective approach to nursing students because the level of teaching style corresponds to the level of learner cognition and psychosocial development.


    luder wrote:could you please rephrase this paragraph in terms of nursing education where we handle "real life" cases. tnx!

    patmarban wrote:

    Also, college students in general are in the formal operation stage (Videbeck, 2003). This means they have the ability to reason from abstract concepts. In a case approach, learners are expected to imagine what is happening in the given case. Although the article claims this to be the closest experience to reality, it is still abstract. Therefore, the case method may be an effective approach to nursing students because the level of teaching style corresponds to the level of learner cognition.

    avatar
    patmarban

    Posts : 38
    Join date : 2008-08-11
    Age : 36
    Location : Quezon City

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  patmarban on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 11:49 pm

    Yes. Also in relation to the previous article we discussed, because of the tremendous amount of theories and facts that had to be studied by med students, the caring aspect in healthcare is sometimes not given focus anymore. I share the same sentiments with you when I go to doctors' clinics. I am not generalizing, but I sometimes come out ranting about how insolent and fretful some doctors could be, especially those with fellow certifications! I believe that not only the nursing profession in the Philippines should have developments in pedagogy but also the other professions. I am also glad to be in the nursing profession as I feel this profession is more well-rounded in terms of knowledge and attitude.


    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:Being in a university where students are basically involved in a health-related course, I've noticed that med students are taught differently compared to the other students, specifically nursing students. This made me realize that maybe physicians truly have this “we’re the captain of the ship” mentality. I cannot comment and dwell that much regarding the manner on how med students are supposed to be taught as well as how they learn from such approach. Though they should teach and consider showing more caring behaviors to their patients, if I may say so. It just makes me really proud and happy being involved in this caring profession.


    patmarban wrote:I just want to emphasize the need for skillful assessment, planning, implementation, and evaluation of the instructors for this method to be efficient. During my med school year, I underwent case-based learning. The problem was, we were left by the doctors without any guidance. Also, I cannot recall any assessment made before they gave us the cases. I believe the assessment part could have been improved to make the case method efficient as I did not percieve that learning experience as meaningful during that time.

    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:

    It is feasible in the Philippine setting and I believe that our educators today are already prepared to adapt this approach. Some schools such as my alma mater are already practicing it by incorporating it to the lessons they present to their students by means of news articles, video segments, film showing and the like. With the extensive and diverse supply our generation has, educators are able to tailor-made their lessons depending on the needs of their students. Under their skillful guidance, students can work together to analyze and synthesize conflicting data and points of view, persuade and inspire others who think differently, and even redefine and prioritize goals for better learning.
    avatar
    luder

    Posts : 42
    Join date : 2008-08-12

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  luder on Mon 18 Aug 2008, 11:49 pm

    RLEs are hands on. we definitely can't toy with learning activities during our shift. but what is important is the ability of the C.I. to encapsulate the learned concept for the day by discussing the days events with the student nurses. then reflect the ideas back to the student for internalization.

    gary.orosa wrote:

    But to the practical side of nursing such as in RLEs with actual patients or hospital duties, if we do the instructional activities last since we deal with lives and due to the safety issues involved, who would want to risk it?


    Sponsored content

    Discussion Forum 4 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 4

    Post  Sponsored content


      Current date/time is Wed 20 Nov 2019, 3:44 am