UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+4
ylaganroidah
khayee_07
roseanne.catalan
maricca_18
8 posters

Effects of Reading

maricca_18
    maricca_18

Effects of Reading Empty Effects of Reading

Post  maricca_18 Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:37 am

Reading has effect on Brain. Human Brain is quite literally shaped by one’s experiences. Skill of reading stimulate areas of brain. Visual and Motor regions of brain connect in a multitude of combination as a person reads (Catherine Whitlock, May 2009).
    If we exercise our brain like reading becomes our habit, extra stimulation is built up in the brain. It may be part of the inherent enjoyment of reading that is common to many. As the brain engages and puzzles added, the activity of the brain reflects the new pathways of thinking and understanding that develop.
    Our brain is capable of reading something without really comprehending its meaning.
    Sources
    Goswami, U. The development of reading across languages. Ann NY Acad Sci (2008) 1145:1-12.
    roseanne.catalan
    roseanne.catalan

Effects of Reading Empty Re: Effects of Reading

Post  roseanne.catalan Tue 28 Sep 2010, 8:14 pm

I got your point. Reading can be a good exercise to our brain. However, you emphasized more on the benefits of reading in our brain rather than connecting your discussion more on Fleming's article. Perhaps you could provide some examples to make the discussion a bit insightful.

I now encourage you to elaborate the importance of your discussion to Fleming's diseases of the thesis. study
    khayee_07
    khayee_07

Post  khayee_07 Tue 28 Sep 2010, 8:36 pm

i must agree with rose ann,
    i think you discussed just about brain and how it is shaped up by various happenings in our lives, and by the knowledege we learn each day...

surely, our brains are different from each other..., whether in size, shape and content- Laughing i mean the information it has that made the shaping thing.... Laughing

hope ours are NOT SMOOTH!
    ylaganroidah

Post  ylaganroidah Tue 28 Sep 2010, 10:54 pm

I may also have to agree with ms. catalan
    But you may also have a point that
    “If we exercise our brain like reading becomes our habit, extra stimulation is built up in the brain”
    and
    “As the brain engages and puzzles added, the activity of the brain reflects the new pathways of thinking and understanding that develop”
    I could somehow relate this to the article of Chris Fleming, since the brain is being stimulated, for instance reading depression, were in a person reads a lot of books and takes a lot of information, therefore one should need to comprehend all the information and knowledge the person acquires. If the brain is exercised, it can retain information on what the person had read and can be of help in writing a thesis.
    maricca_18
    maricca_18

Post  maricca_18 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 10:08 am

Reading depression can be experienced by anybody. it is a matter of task of endless reading. It can be voluntary or not. Through reading an article, story or anything, it can produce different feelings. at some point you are happy because you learned a lot and gain a lot of information and apply it to your daily life and there is also a part that you are mad because of the feeling that you know less than the other.you keep on blaming yourself "why i didn't know that", while the others did. and the reason behind is that you need to read a lot, that is why you are experiencing cramming that is why you need to help yourself to read more and more and the feeling of information overload, as if that the information is not being recognized by the brain or can recognized it but slowly.. so that you can practice yourself by liking reading. if you don't know something, don't be so down, take it as a challenge and think of it that you will get benefit from it. Knowing something is not instant, it needs time so the one that will read will enjoy more, there is a motivating factor so that the patient will stay in the hospital. in regards with the diasease i am experiencing it right now because there are a lot of things to read aside from my work.. but i'm always looking forward tht positive effects of it.
    in regards with the disease of motion, i agree that silness is cute. i do also experience that putting thins that i need to lead inside my room or somewhere that i can remember that i read that thing.
    therese_132409

Post  therese_132409 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 5:22 pm

how about your discussion on chris fleming's article? but i also experienced this, "why didn't i know that" when some or all of my friendshave this knowledge on that thing.
    maricca_18
    maricca_18

Post  maricca_18 Wed 29 Sep 2010, 9:48 pm

Many well-known writers have had history of mental illness like what in chris fleming's article disease of the thesis. In fact, some of them become so deeply depressed that they eventually ended their own life in an effort to stop the pain and suffering. Upon reading the article, i asked myself that does it really have a connection between writers and mental illness?Several studies have suggested that there is indeed a very strong link and thatwriters or people with strong creative capabilities are more likely than others to suffer from a class of mental illnesses that fall under various categories from mood disorders to major depression, and manic-depressive illness.An examination of writers concluded that poets tend to be the most emotional and introspective among all writers, and had a much higher rate of mental illness than nonfiction writers who tend to be the most rational and analytic.Many researchers that have surveyed people with creative minds speculate that mood disorders allow people to think more creatively. In fact, one of the criteria for diagnosing mania includes sharpened and unusually creative thinking.
    Writers block can inhibit deep emotional feelings that leave an otherwise creative writer feeling as though they will never write again. This is typical of a creative mind and writers eventually overcome writers block and continue with their brilliant thinking process oncetheir thought pattern isrefreshened and sharp.Mood can play a big role in the out come of how a piece will turn out. Mood disordersusually go along withdeep emotions and feelings. A writer can easily become depressed when their mood blocks clear thought patterns that stop them from being productive. Once they find their niche again, and have an outlet for clearing their head, usually on paper, they can once again rely on their artistic creativity.

In learning, is there always a chance for anyone to have a mental illness like what the article of Chris Fleming stated?

Reference:
    1.Health and wellness,December 2006

aimee
    aimee

Post  aimee Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:18 pm

There is indeed a fine line between creativity and madness. Depression can lead to a crave for expressive outlet while Mania can lead to creative outburst. But which one is caused by which? mental illness causes creativity or creativity causes mental illness? Rolling Eyes
    chel_calvelo
    chel_calvelo

Post  chel_calvelo Wed 29 Sep 2010, 11:43 pm

I think there is a link between writers and mental illnesses due to they use too much mind and emotions. They have the ability to become depress easily because they don't have any co-workers to support them not like in a regular office setting. In the future I might also experience these but because of Dr. Fleming's article, i was enlightened. I think this is just a matter of how you handle and adapt to things. Significant others are very important so that you can be able to voice out what's inside you.. Razz Laughing
    AC Ver
    AC Ver

Post  AC Ver Thu 30 Sep 2010, 12:25 am

As for your follow-up question: "In learning, is there always a chance for anyone to have a mental illness like what the article of Chris Fleming stated?"

Since writing is also a form of learning in a way that you're in the process of discovering while in the process of doing it, i can say yes. Yes that there is a chance of someone to have mental illness in learning but not 'always' (as what you have stated in your question) Even if Chris Flemming said in his article, “I can’t claim that this is an exhaustive typology; and even those that do get a mention are not yet recognized by recent incarnations of DSM.”-- some researchers have already supposed that depression really does happen and writers aren’t an exception to it. One study stated that writers had a substantially higher rate of mental illness, predominantly affective disorder (Andreasen, 1987) and another coined the term“Sylvia Plath effect” to refer to the phenomenon that creative writers are more susceptible to mental illness, most especially female poets (Kaufman, 2001).

But I can't say this happens 'always' because people react to things differently. Each and everyone tend to utilize specific coping skills that we know best works for us and that would make a difference if one will experience the mental illness or not in learning. Adaptation is the key to whatever challenges we are faced with and it's up to us if we allow it (depression) to be bring us down or on the other hand, allow it to be a tool for us to focus more on the problem, making the situation much more constructive and beneficial-- depression happened and yet we didn't allow it to completely block us from seeing our way clear to our goal in finishing our dissertation.
    maricca_18
    maricca_18

Post  maricca_18 Thu 30 Sep 2010, 8:14 am

@ chel: that's true, when you are working alone, there is more chance to become depress unlike when you have officemates or workmates with you, that you can work and interact after finishing your job.

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 26 Apr 2024, 11:14 pm