UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

3 posters

AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION

TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION Empty AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:46 pm

Our group agrees that Authentic leadership is an amazing and a promising concept of what a leader is. Amazing in the sense that, number one, a theory from a sociologist point of view was applied to clinical practice, number two, the model was made inductively by looking at the previous models, then coming up with a kind of leadership that seems both familiar yet fresh. Promising because it revolutionizes our concept of a leader, without skipping the important details of what makes up a leader. The whole model complemented other leadership theories. The model also emphasizes on the moral development of the leader, which we believe is one of the pivotal concepts of the theory. And lastly, this mode by Avolio, et. al., talked about the development of an authentic leader, which makes it somehow, to some extent, "more real".

However, like any other theories, it is sad to say that it is quite unrealistic because it requires the person to be almost perfect, or if not, perfect. Achieving the essential components prescribed by the theory or reaching its state would be a difficult process if it does happen at all. Another argument raised in our group was this model may not be applicable to some situations and cited Deci and Ryan (2002) who posited that other people cannot gauge someone's understanding and determination of himself. He further argues (and cited Cooper,et.al, 2005) that having a leadership role may require someone to be flexible to his followers, thus, having an authentic behavior may not apply in some cases because acting with one's values and needs may be detrimental to the organization's motives and the followers perspective.

Another input was that, what if, authentic leadership will be applied by nurses to their patients (since the model generally deals with nurses)? Arguing that, while the ALT when applied to nurses in the hospitals yielded to better working environment and emotions towards their job, then maybe if applied to patients it can also have good outcomes such as increased compliance of the patient or more willingness to cooperate on the care plans. The patients, then, will be the one triggered by their nurses to focus their self-awareness through the process of identification.

An interesting question was posted by our groupmate, asking, can leadership be taught? This is one thing to be looked into, because, if the answer is no, then what's the point of all these prescriptions? Is one born a leader? Is it in the genes of a person that inclines him to be charismatic, influential, etc? Or is it developed through time, or as a person matures and lives through life?

As nurses of our generation, we strongly believe that reforms, not only in government but also in nursing organizations need transformation, or, for this matter, "authentication". We all yearn for a leader who can truly make a change, may it be in our country or profession. But take a second and ask yourself, is that really what we need? We want change, we want reforms, but we want others to do it for us. We want our "leaders" to do it for us. But is this really what the authentic leadership model is telling us? We believe that yes, leadership models, and authentic leadership for this matter, envisions a certain type of leader, but it concerns all citizens of the world. It doesn't mean that you're not a leader, you can't be authentic. Our group believes that, everyone can be a leader.

We came to conclude that, these theories may be very idealistic, very perfect, and becoming an authentic leader is almost not possible. But if we look at it in another way, these models, though how unrealistic they may seem, guide us in our quest to be better, not necessarily perfect. As nurses we have to be leaders, and that is not an option. The authentic leadership model guides us nurses to be a better nurse to our patients, how to lead by example, and how to exemplify, the best way we can what an authentic leader is, and what those nurse theorists envisioned a nurse to be.

GUIDE QUESTIONS

1) Do you agree that the model is not applicable in all situations and in all persons?
    2)Do you agree with the group that this model can be applied by nurses to their patients?
    3) Do you think leadership can be taught?
    3) As a nurse, do you think you have what it takes to be an authentic leader? Are you willing to step up to the challenge?
    4) What can you do to improve the lot of nurses and nursing organizations in the Philippines?
    rachel

AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION Empty Re: AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION

Post  rachel Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:38 am

Maintaining a healthy work environment is a challenge. It is not something that is achieved quickly. Once you have established a healthy work environment, there is still an ongoing process. Effective leadership is necessary, as well as the commitment of the nursing staff. Nurses must be active participants in this process and not onlookers. As part of our nature, nurses are always up to a challenge. Every nurse and ill patient deserves a healthy work environment. As nurses, we must take the necessary steps to develop and maintain a healthy work environment for ourselves and our patients. It takes work and is not always easy, but it is something we all deserve.
    TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION Empty Re: AUTHENTIC LEADERSHIP ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:41 am

rachel wrote:
    Maintaining a healthy work environment is a challenge. It is not something that is achieved quickly. Once you have established a healthy work environment, there is still an ongoing process. Effective leadership is necessary, as well as the commitment of the nursing staff. Nurses must be active participants in this process and not onlookers. As part of our nature, nurses are always up to a challenge. Every nurse and ill patient deserves a healthy work environment. As nurses, we must take the necessary steps to develop and maintain a healthy work environment for ourselves and our patients. It takes work and is not always easy, but it is something we all deserve.

rachel pls transfer your comment dun sa kabilang post, the one sa TFN something2x. sorry. will delete this post para synchronized na lahat.
    Alwynne

Post  Alwynne Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:46 am

Reading your group discussion paper I have realized that indeed the theory may not be applicable to all situations and persons. It was mentioned by Wong, however that there really is a need to study authentic leadership in organizational context. The theory is very much focused on the leader’s self, organizational conflicts may really arise.

I do not agree that authentic partnership can be applied to the nurse and the patient. Self-awareness is not a focus for patients. The nurses are one’s that need self- awareness so that they can help their patients better. Patients need empowerment instead of self- awareness. Although in some cases nurses may be leaders, I think rather than leadership, partnership is what needs to be developed between the nurse and the patient.

I think that somehow leadership can be taught. I believe that leaders are not born but made. One may be born with leadership characteristics but if not practiced and enhanced it can be useless and insignificant. On the other hand, one may not be born with prominent leadership characteristics but with right interest in leadership, persistence, hard work and practice one may eventually develop leadership skills and characteristics.

Personally, I don’t think that at this moment I have what it takes to be an authentic leader. I think that I am still like a work in progress; although I have my values (different from convictions) it is still subject to changes and transformations. I still have a lot to learn and go through. As nurse, I could be as ideal as an authentic leader that would be great but honestly, for now, I think that’s just far from happening.

I think the every nurse must start from themselves, improve as much as we all can. Reflecting and being constantly aware of are roles and responsibilities. Nursing organizations must continue to uplift the nursing profession by ensuring the quality of nurses and nursing services offered in the country.

Very Happy
    rachel

Post  rachel Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:46 am

ok np..
    TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:54 am

Alwynne wrote:Reading your group discussion paper I have realized that indeed the theory may not be applicable to all situations and persons. It was mentioned by Wong, however that there really is a need to study authentic leadership in organizational context. The theory is very much focused on the leader’s self, organizational conflicts may really arise.

I do not agree that authentic partnership can be applied to the nurse and the patient. Self-awareness is not a focus for patients. The nurses are one’s that need self- awareness so that they can help their patients better. Patients need empowerment instead of self- awareness. Although in some cases nurses may be leaders, I think rather than leadership, partnership is what needs to be developed between the nurse and the patient.

I think that somehow leadership can be taught. I believe that leaders are not born but made. One may be born with leadership characteristics but if not practiced and enhanced it can be useless and insignificant. On the other hand, one may not be born with prominent leadership characteristics but with right interest in leadership, persistence, hard work and practice one may eventually develop leadership skills and characteristics.

Personally, I don’t think that at this moment I have what it takes to be an authentic leader. I think that I am still like a work in progress; although I have my values (different from convictions) it is still subject to changes and transformations. I still have a lot to learn and go through. As nurse, I could be as ideal as an authentic leader that would be great but honestly, for now, I think that’s just far from happening.

I think the every nurse must start from themselves, improve as much as we all can. Reflecting and being constantly aware of are roles and responsibilities. Nursing organizations must continue to uplift the nursing profession by ensuring the quality of nurses and nursing services offered in the country.

Very Happy

hi alwynne thanks for your reply ha pero please transfer this to the other post, yung nasa TFN group. thanks! sorry for the inconvenience Crying or Very sad

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 1:11 pm