UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+4
rachel
gia_anupol
elenor
TheConchitinaLluch
8 posters

ALT ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION GROUP 1

TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

ALT ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION GROUP 1 Empty ALT ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION GROUP 1

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Sun 17 Jul 2011, 7:56 pm

Our group agrees that Authentic leadership is an amazing and a promising concept of what a leader is. Amazing in the sense that, number one, a theory from a sociologist point of view was applied to clinical practice, number two, the model was made inductively by looking at the previous models, then coming up with a kind of leadership that seems both familiar yet fresh. Promising because it revolutionizes our concept of a leader, without skipping the important details of what makes up a leader. The whole model complemented other leadership theories. The model also emphasizes on the moral development of the leader, which we believe is one of the pivotal concepts of the theory. And lastly, this mode by Avolio, et. al., talked about the development of an authentic leader, which makes it somehow, to some extent, "more real".

However, like any other theories, it is sad to say that it is quite unrealistic because it requires the person to be almost perfect, or if not, perfect. Achieving the essential components prescribed by the theory or reaching its state would be a difficult process if it does happen at all. Another argument raised in our group was this model may not be applicable to some situations and cited Deci and Ryan (2002) who posited that other people cannot gauge someone's understanding and determination of himself. He further argues (and cited Cooper,et.al, 2005) that having a leadership role may require someone to be flexible to his followers, thus, having an authentic behavior may not apply in some cases because acting with one's values and needs may be detrimental to the organization's motives and the followers perspective.

Another input was that, what if, authentic leadership will be applied by nurses to their patients (since the model generally deals with nurses)? Arguing that, while the ALT when applied to nurses in the hospitals yielded to better working environment and emotions towards their job, then maybe if applied to patients it can also have good outcomes such as increased compliance of the patient or more willingness to cooperate on the care plans. The patients, then, will be the one triggered by their nurses to focus their self-awareness through the process of identification.

An interesting question was posted by our groupmate, asking, can leadership be taught? This is one thing to be looked into, because, if the answer is no, then what's the point of all these prescriptions? Is one born a leader? Is it in the genes of a person that inclines him to be charismatic, influential, etc? Or is it developed through time, or as a person matures and lives through life?

As nurses of our generation, we strongly believe that reforms, not only in government but also in nursing organizations need transformation, or, for this matter, "authentication". We all yearn for a leader who can truly make a change, may it be in our country or profession. But take a second and ask yourself, is that really what we need? We want change, we want reforms, but we want others to do it for us. We want our "leaders" to do it for us. But is this really what the authentic leadership model is telling us? We believe that yes, leadership models, and authentic leadership for this matter, envisions a certain type of leader, but it concerns all citizens of the world. It doesn't mean that you're not a leader, you can't be authentic. Our group believes that, everyone can be a leader.

We came to conclude that, these theories may be very idealistic, very perfect, and becoming an authentic leader is almost not possible. But if we look at it in another way, these models, though how unrealistic they may seem, guide us in our quest to be better, not necessarily perfect. As nurses we have to be leaders, and that is not an option. The authentic leadership model guides us nurses to be a better nurse to our patients, how to lead by example, and how to exemplify, the best way we can what an authentic leader is, and what those nurse theorists envisioned a nurse to be.

GUIDE QUESTIONS

1) Do you agree that the model is not applicable in all situations and in all persons?
    2)Do you agree with the group that this model can be applied by nurses to their patients?
    3) Do you think leadership can be taught?
    3) As a nurse, do you think you have what it takes to be an authentic leader? Are you willing to step up to the challenge?
    4) What can you do to improve the lot of nurses and nursing organizations in the Philippines?
    elenor

ALT ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION GROUP 1 Empty Re: ALT ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION GROUP 1

Post  elenor Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:01 am

3) Do you think leadership can be taught?

Yes, it can be taught and can be enhanced. Leadership is a personal quality which requires education. (Doh, J., ) Furthermore, knowledge is vital in being a leader, character is also a major component. I therefore conclude that the theory of authentic leadership is very helpful not only in nursing profession but also to other professions which require leadership.

TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

ALT ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION GROUP 1 Empty Re: ALT ONLINE CLASS DISCUSSION GROUP 1

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:09 am

elenor wrote:3) Do you think leadership can be taught?

Yes, it can be taught and can be enhanced. Leadership is a personal quality which requires education. (Doh, J., ) Furthermore, knowledge is vital in being a leader, character is also a major component. I therefore conclude that the theory of authentic leadership is very helpful not only in nursing profession but also to other professions which require leadership.

finally, a reply!! haha cheers lol! yes, indeed. it would be rather funny if someone will lead a group without knowing a single thing about the organization, or even about leadership (well that's not something new in our country).
    gia_anupol

Post  gia_anupol Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:22 am

3) As a nurse, do you think you have what it takes to be an authentic leader? Are you willing to step up to the challenge?

each one of us is a leader in the making. maybe i still lack in skills to be a leader but that is not a reason for me to strive to become a better person, yet, a better leader. i think this goes not only for me but for other people who wants to serve others.
    TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 12:29 am

gia_anupol wrote:3) As a nurse, do you think you have what it takes to be an authentic leader? Are you willing to step up to the challenge?

each one of us is a leader in the making. maybe i still lack in skills to be a leader but that is not a reason for me to strive to become a better person, yet, a better leader. i think this goes not only for me but for other people who wants to serve others.

yup! and as what we have said, just because the authentic leadership model seems unrealistic and unattainable, it doesn't mean we stop striving to achieve it, or to be better. the process of becoming a leader is dynamic too. there's no step-by-step procedure. we become leaders in our own ways. the starting point i think is when we have that desire to be a leader. but it doesn't end there. we have to actualize it. Idea
    rachel

Post  rachel Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:00 am

Yes, leadership, like all skills, can be taught. The literature is clear on the essential components, styles, and dynamics. Effective leadership is necessary, as well as the commitment of the nursing staff. Nurses must be active participants in this process and not onlookers. As part of our nature, nurses are always up to a challenge. Every nurse and ill patient deserves a healthy work environment. As nurses, we must take the necessary steps to develop and maintain a healthy work environment for ourselves and our patients. It takes work and is not always easy, but it is something we all deserve. Smile
    TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:06 am

rachel wrote:
    Yes, leadership, like all skills, can be taught. The literature is clear on the essential components, styles, and dynamics. Effective leadership is necessary, as well as the commitment of the nursing staff. Nurses must be active participants in this process and not onlookers. As part of our nature, nurses are always up to a challenge. Every nurse and ill patient deserves a healthy work environment. As nurses, we must take the necessary steps to develop and maintain a healthy work environment for ourselves and our patients. It takes work and is not always easy, but it is something we all deserve. Smile

so rachel, are you saying that leadership is a skill? Idea yes, we as nurses must not be passive. we must be at the forefront especially when fighting(not the violent type) for our patients' rights. we must always meet challenges head on. for me, it's not an option. Cool
    Maryam Gallano

Post  Maryam Gallano Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:25 am

4) What can you do to improve the lot of nurses and nursing organizations in the Philippines?
    i think you can apply the concept of self-awareness; to be able to identify your strengths, weaknesses, values. Adherence to your values will serve as your guide in your career. To the nursing organizations in the Philippines, this can be a basis of what is an ideal leader. I think, following the concept of authentic leadership would yield to a good outcome. The leader's characteristics are defined, ideal and it includes the subordinates' welfare.
    TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:34 am

Maryam Gallano wrote:4) What can you do to improve the lot of nurses and nursing organizations in the Philippines?
    i think you can apply the concept of self-awareness; to be able to identify your strengths, weaknesses, values. Adherence to your values will serve as your guide in your career. To the nursing organizations in the Philippines, this can be a basis of what is an ideal leader. I think, following the concept of authentic leadership would yield to a good outcome. The leader's characteristics are defined, ideal and it includes the subordinates' welfare.

TRUE. IT ALL BEGINS IN THE SELF. Once you know who you are and what you want, everything else will flow freely. Emphasis on everything else will flow freely. Let's say you're already self-aware, and you, as maryam gallano, how can you improve nursing profession, education, and practice here in the philippines? Smile
    Alwynne

Post  Alwynne Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:35 am

Reading your group discussion paper I have realized that indeed the theory may not be applicable to all situations and persons. It was mentioned by Wong, however that there really is a need to study authentic leadership in organizational context. The theory is very much focused on the leader’s self, organizational conflicts may really arise.

I do not agree that authentic leadership can be applied to the nurse and the patient. Self-awareness is not a focus for patients. The nurses are one’s that need self- awareness so that they can help their patients better. Patients need empowerment instead of self- awareness. Although in some cases nurses may be leaders, I think rather than leadership, partnership is what needs to be developed between the nurse and the patient.

I think that somehow leadership can be taught. I believe that leaders are not born but made. One may be born with leadership characteristics but if not practiced and enhanced it can be useless and insignificant. On the other hand, one may not be born with prominent leadership characteristics but with right interest in leadership, persistence, hard work and practice one may eventually develop leadership skills and characteristics.

Personally, I don’t think that at this moment I have what it takes to be an authentic leader. I think that I am still like a work in progress; although I have my values (different from convictions) it is still subject to changes and transformations. I still have a lot to learn and go through. As nurse, I could be as ideal as an authentic leader that would be great but honestly, for now, I think that’s just far from happening.

I think the every nurse must start from themselves, improve as much as we all can. Reflecting and being constantly aware of are roles and responsibilities. Nursing organizations must continue to uplift the nursing profession by ensuring the quality of nurses and nursing services offered in the country.
    TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:44 am

Alwynne wrote:Reading your group discussion paper I have realized that indeed the theory may not be applicable to all situations and persons. It was mentioned by Wong, however that there really is a need to study authentic leadership in organizational context. The theory is very much focused on the leader’s self, organizational conflicts may really arise.

I do not agree that authentic leadership can be applied to the nurse and the patient. Self-awareness is not a focus for patients. The nurses are one’s that need self- awareness so that they can help their patients better. Patients need empowerment instead of self- awareness. Although in some cases nurses may be leaders, I think rather than leadership, partnership is what needs to be developed between the nurse and the patient.

I think that somehow leadership can be taught. I believe that leaders are not born but made. One may be born with leadership characteristics but if not practiced and enhanced it can be useless and insignificant. On the other hand, one may not be born with prominent leadership characteristics but with right interest in leadership, persistence, hard work and practice one may eventually develop leadership skills and characteristics.

Personally, I don’t think that at this moment I have what it takes to be an authentic leader. I think that I am still like a work in progress; although I have my values (different from convictions) it is still subject to changes and transformations. I still have a lot to learn and go through. As nurse, I could be as ideal as an authentic leader that would be great but honestly, for now, I think that’s just far from happening.

I think the every nurse must start from themselves, improve as much as we all can. Reflecting and being constantly aware of are roles and responsibilities. Nursing organizations must continue to uplift the nursing profession by ensuring the quality of nurses and nursing services offered in the country.

before anything else, i'm very sorry for the inconvenience alwynne. No anyway, WOW. i like your opinions. and i admire your honesty. we're all a work in progress... so don't worry, at least the desire to be "authenticated" is there.

yeah, but in fairness to the model, it's still a work in progress too so there's still a lot of room for improvement re: applicability to some situations.

it's interesting that you think the model can't be applied to nurse-patient but i do get your point. You mentioned that patients need empowerment, not self-awareness. But think about this. When one is empowered, doesn't he/she need to know himself/herself? Wink

I super agree. Change starts within ourselves. We cant tell other people to be something/someone when we ourselves are not living to that example.

Nice alwynne. Had fun reading your comment. bounce

rachel

Post  rachel Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:51 am

Yup, Leadership, a critical management skill, is the ability to motivate a group of people toward a common goal.
    TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 1:53 am

rachel wrote:
    Yup, Leadership, a critical management skill, is the ability to motivate a group of people toward a common goal.

thank you very much rachel. it is indeed a skill. Smile
    Noriel_Pili
    Noriel_Pili

Post  Noriel_Pili Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:13 am

Do you agree that the model is not applicable in all situations and in all persons?

I do agree. The word all is infinite. In my own opinion there are lot of working environment that prefer a manager over a leader, higher position does not want to hire a people person rather they promote an 'automatic" person so that things can be done as they want it to be. It is evident in our place that people does not respect leaders no matter how great they are, it is true that this model does not apply to them.
    TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:18 am

Noriel_Pili wrote:Do you agree that the model is not applicable in all situations and in all persons?

I do agree. The word all is infinite. In my own opinion there are lot of working environment that prefer a manager over a leader, higher position does not want to hire a people person rather they promote an 'automatic" person so that things can be done as they want it to be. It is evident in our place that people does not respect leaders no matter how great they are, it is true that this model does not apply to them.

HI JAY, thanks for the response Smile aint a manager a leader too? Question maybe in our place, the leaders are not worthy of respect, that's why the citizens don't respect them?
    Noriel_Pili
    Noriel_Pili

Post  Noriel_Pili Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:25 am

HI JAY, thanks for the response Smile aint a manager a leader too? Question maybe in our place, the leaders are not worthy of respect, that's why the citizens don't respect them?

hi kich Basketball they can be either. I think you got my point regarding the manager thingy. I partially agree with your statement that the leaders in our place are not worth of respect. So it is not really applicable in all situation and in all people. There are really misconception about "leaders" and "who is in the position". Fake leaders vs. authentic leaders.
    Alwynne

Post  Alwynne Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:56 am

Hi group 1, our group already posted our discussion. please post your replies,thank you very much. Very Happy

LoLee

Post  LoLee Mon 18 Jul 2011, 3:43 am

To Alwynne:

Yes, I agree with you that patients need empowerment. If u take a look at empowerment, it is defined as to equip or supply an ability or enable. View it this way, if patients engage in self awareness where they are in “a process where one continually comes to understand his or her unique
    talents, strengths, sense of purpose, core values, beliefs and desires” (Gardner et al.,
    2005, p. 349), then wouldn’t you say that this is in a way empowering the patient? It is like a win-win situation where you foster self-awareness in your patients and empower them as well in the process.

For the leadership vs partnership, I think you took it literally when I said leadership for nurses. I don’t necessarily mean that nurses take the lead and patients merely follow what is prescribed. Keep in mind the 4th component of the ALT, it is discuused as “Authentic leaders value and work to achieve transparency and truthfulness in their relationships by asking for feedback, listening to and accepting other viewpoints, and acting on suggestions.” If the nurses interacted this way with their patients, wouldn’t you say that they are already having a partnership? Partnership is defined as a relationship between individuals or groups that is characterized by mutual cooperation and responsibility, as for the achievement of a specified goal. This mutual cooperation and responsibility can be seen in the ALT if applied by nurses to their patients when the nurses ask and the patients give feedback, the nurse listens to and accepts other(patient) viewpoints and finally “acting on these suggestions” toward achievement of a goal(wellness of the patient).

TheConchitinaLluch
    TheConchitinaLluch

Post  TheConchitinaLluch Mon 18 Jul 2011, 2:20 pm

ALWYNNE says patients need empowerment not self-awareness then LO counters with a statement that the role of the nurse is to make the patients aware of their resources and potentials, and that this is helping them to be SELF-AWARE.

Arrow FOR THE REST OF THE CLASS, WHAT'S YOUR TAKE GUYS? Question

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 7:06 am