UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+10
gary.orosa
yvette
silva731
Cristina Mariano
Josh
Kriselda Manzano
evancarlo
Divinia Joy Tuzon
Kriselda Anne Moreno
Admin
14 posters

Discussion Forum 2

Divinia Joy Tuzon

Discussion Forum 2 - Page 2 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 2

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:21 am

Hello Sir Josh. You posed a very interesting question. I tried to read more about the topic and hopefully this could help. Advances in communication technology paved the way for a feasible educational option such as the utilization of learning objects. The idea in virtual or distant learning is that a teacher can reach his or her students in remote locations, which enables students to learn subjects to which they would not otherwise have access. This is its major advantage – it allows anyone, anywhere, to study anything. Learning objects also allow students to progress at their own pace (from simple to complex or from one topic after another) which makes them eventually knowledgeable and competent in the long run.

It is a fact that not everyone has embraced this development. Critics charge that it is cold and impersonal, and although there are opportunities for classroom camaraderie (through e-mail and electronic bulletin boards, for example), it doesn’t replicate the experience of a real classroom (Stennes, n.d.).

Stennes further adds that historically, virtual learning has tended to be a little dry, relying mainly on text and graphs to convey information. Advances in computing power and communication networks are changing this, but multimedia-learning experiences remain richer and easier in a traditional classroom setting. Moreover, the use of object learning makes students more initiative than traditional classroom learning, a value that object learning offers its students if that is what you are looking for.

However, I understand your point. Just like what I’ve mentioned from my first reply, I still prefer going to the library and borrow books instead of using the internet as a resource. I firmly believe that though web-based learning is a beneficial educational tool nowadays, it cannot and will probably never replace, traditional learning. In order to maximize its effectiveness though, it still depends on the educators to develop, adapt and modify a teaching technique designed to properly meet the needs of the students.

I hope this could help in any way. Smile

Stennes, C. (n. d.). Advantages and Disadvantages of Web-based Learning. Retrieved August 14, 2008 from http://www.resourcesunlimited.com

Josh wrote:students are like sheep, who needs a shepherd to lead its way to the meadows and the shepherd is the guiding light when the sheep will be gone astray.
    No matter how rich accesible knowledge we get from web-based learning center, we still need each other to enrich what we learn and we also need a teacher who will lead us to the right direction when time comes knowledge seem to be in the dark

Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:Hello Kriselda! Truly, no matter how many sites and articles we try to read about a particular subject matter, it will not suffice a comprehensive learning. Hence, cooperative and interactive learning such as the approach we are using in our class will lead to a higher individual and group achievement. It also provides us with more new ideas and even solutions to existing problems. In addition, I’ve read from the Encyclopedia of Educational Technology that compared to individual or competitive work, students working in cooperative groups tend to be more intrinsically motivated, intellectually curious, caring of others, and psychologically healthy.

Baylon, C. (2005). Cooperative learning. In B. Hoffman (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Educational Technology. Retrieved August 14, 2008, from http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/articles/coopgroups/start.htm

Last edited by Divinia Joy Tuzon on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:29 am; edited 1 time in total
    Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:21 am

hi tina,
    combining traditional and technological learning leads to a good or even excellent outcome. One must be diligent enough to sort items that are substantial and considered necessary for learning to avoid erroneous information in the future.

Cristina Mariano wrote:It is indeed true that automated materials and the electronic medias are easy to access and is convenient for readers. However, the substantial risk of these is the quality of texts that we get and utilize from the internet that we have to evaluate. Going to libraries and doing the traditional reading of books, journals and other materials will be the best tool to utilize combined with the e-banks of sources in the internet.

This clearly depicts the timely utilization of technology in planning the learning objectives of the study. We should be aware to combat the issues along with the traditional style of putting the context of learning object into usage. Since scoping may be done to address and limit the study into 1 topic, it paves the way for students learn to practice and apply their learnings into actual practice.

Reusing materials is one way to keep important aspects of the literatures intact in a way that it should not be too tiring for the instructors. Knowing how to design and put correct variables of a context into the learning object is critical because misplaced variables may affect the understanding of the entire learnings presented which may lead to the so-called “Sixth sense” where students end up thinking they learn something which is totally not there.

The principles of the education system and its core should be preserved in a manner that it is not being given away. Open course projects bare valuable education but not the core values itself. The world is such an immense place where hybrids of sorts of learners live in and with enriching styles and approaches to tickle their learning is of a great challenge to the instructor with the use of the learning objectives.
    yvette

Post  yvette Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:24 am

I admit that it took me a while to understand the article. Reading it once is not enough, so I found ways to better understand it, like using the internet. Which, in the end, I realized that I am already living the content of the article.

Learning objects are not far from any other instructional materials. Though it is characterized as small, independent and stored in database, I think, it serves the same purpose. It is an agent for acquiring information and even deepening one's knowledge. I think it is flexible, since it adapts to the needs of the learner and to the changing times. It may cater to an interactive group discussion or for mere personal use. Since it include flash diagrams to audio or visual presentations, it can activate three of our senses all at the same time; visual, hear and feel. I think its essence is to facilitate learning in accordance with the demand of the learner, via providing support groups.

Our online classes is a good example of a learning object. I admit that I am having a tough time. In fact, it was a shame when I posted a wrong entry during my statistic class in the yahoo groups. Everytime I encounter problems on ignorance on the net, I have to pull out my guts to I ask my classmates (krissie, patrick and ian), the time I had trouble posting my reflection for example. I think this limits me in expressing and sharing my thoughts. Since I have been used to the traditional way of acquiring knowledge via books and other library materials, I am still adjusting and adapting to the new way of learning. Nevertheless, I am thankful to those who helped me. What I like most in this style of learning is its being collaborative. I hope soon, when I get used to this technique, I'll be able to pass my knowledge efficiently on to others. It builds a positive relationship towards colleagues and even the instructor. What hinders me also, in evidence of my late entries, is that my laptop broke down so I have to find a computer shop whenever there's a need.

In my opinion the O2 model overcomes the traditional approach through its characteristics as discussed in the article: decontextualized learning, etc. What made an impact on me is its reusability whereby there are no restrictions in the utilization of the resources, thus giving the learner opportunities and personality. In general, I think that this context is a good tool for learning, a healthy challenge in fact for adults. But I still opted the traditional approach especially for building the foundation of education to children.
    Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:26 am

to josh, Smile

I guess the substance that automated materials hold is (may be) less credible compared to books and evidensed based researches then this address the type of learning students patronize. Since automated use is widely used everywhere quality education may be questionable if learners focuses only on these materials as major references.

I guess as like what ma'am joy has said regarding on the impact of the statement: “If good content were enough to support learning and human interaction were unnecessary, libraries would never have evolved into universities.”, going to libraries also teaches us the value of patience and resourcefulness along the process of exploring through books and journals, extensive and valuable informations are gained by us.

No, for me it does not discard the need for classroom lectures, all these go hand in hand together to continually lead the learners of the path of learning fuitfully.

Josh wrote:It is not my intention not to reply or conceptualize, the reson why i started aasking questions is to stimulate my mind and maybe others to dig deeper into the issue.
    silva731 wrote:
    Cristina Mariano wrote:admitedly the article assigned to us was quite technical and complex in the choice of the author's words. but if you noticed 3 out of the 4 guide questions, you need not read the article as the questions we posed are analytical and based on experience. it is therefore your prerogative whether or not any of you want to reply.

Josh wrote:Gone are the days of scarcity of books and educational materials and now is the moment where knowledge is encapsulated.

If learning objects is to be construed as, content objects, strategy objects….content chunks or information containers readily available one click away, then what kind of knowledge content does it bear? Does it address quality education? Are ethical standards and values being embedded in the learning objects? What competencies of students does it aim to acquire? If automation aims to provide logical topic sequencing, does it discard the need of classroom lecturer?

My ignorance to the real issue or meaning and purpose of the articles limit me to comment further. My apology

technicality of the material is already given, but what is important is on what we have conceptualized. as we are instructed to do so, all we have to say is what we have thought of the material using other learning objects that may have help us conceptualized something.
    Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:32 am

I have encountered a website wherein the PROS and CONS of learning object were smoothly delivered. You can visit it for better understanding.

http://www.eduworks.com/LOTT/Tutorial/prosandcons.html

Cristina Mariano

Post  Cristina Mariano Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:32 am

Hi Krissie, Indeed true as said in the text, the usage of both will be more substancial if done... Smile

Kriselda Manzano wrote:
    hi tina,
    combining traditional and technological learning leads to a good or even excellent outcome. One must be diligent enough to sort items that are substantial and considered necessary for learning to avoid erroneous information in the future.

Cristina Mariano wrote:It is indeed true that automated materials and the electronic medias are easy to access and is convenient for readers. However, the substantial risk of these is the quality of texts that we get and utilize from the internet that we have to evaluate. Going to libraries and doing the traditional reading of books, journals and other materials will be the best tool to utilize combined with the e-banks of sources in the internet.

This clearly depicts the timely utilization of technology in planning the learning objectives of the study. We should be aware to combat the issues along with the traditional style of putting the context of learning object into usage. Since scoping may be done to address and limit the study into 1 topic, it paves the way for students learn to practice and apply their learnings into actual practice.

Reusing materials is one way to keep important aspects of the literatures intact in a way that it should not be too tiring for the instructors. Knowing how to design and put correct variables of a context into the learning object is critical because misplaced variables may affect the understanding of the entire learnings presented which may lead to the so-called “Sixth sense” where students end up thinking they learn something which is totally not there.

The principles of the education system and its core should be preserved in a manner that it is not being given away. Open course projects bare valuable education but not the core values itself. The world is such an immense place where hybrids of sorts of learners live in and with enriching styles and approaches to tickle their learning is of a great challenge to the instructor with the use of the learning objectives.
    Josh

Post  Josh Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:33 am

A very delightful comment! as educators we have the great responsibility to lead our students to the right path, right education and right materials to be used. i am also not discouraging learning objects, but just trying to pose a caution to eceryone, if being overwhelmed with the eaccessibility of knowledge in the internet, our students might lost the authentic joy of acquiring knowledge through the test of time and effort.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:Hello Sir Josh. You posed a very interesting question. I tried to read more about the topic and hopefully this could help. Advances in communication technology paved the way for a feasible educational option such as the utilization of learning objects. The idea in virtual or distant learning is that a teacher can reach his or her students in remote locations, which enables students to learn subjects to which they would not otherwise have access. This is its major advantage – it allows anyone, anywhere, to study anything. Learning objects also allow students to progress at their own pace (from simple to complex or from one topic after another) which makes them eventually knowledgeable and competent in the long run.

It is a fact that not everyone has embraced this development. Critics charge that it is cold and impersonal, and although there are opportunities for classroom camaraderie (through e-mail and electronic bulletin boards, for example), it doesn’t replicate the experience of a real classroom (Stennes, n.d.).

Stennes further adds that historically, virtual learning has tended to be a little dry, relying mainly on text and graphs to convey information. Advances in computing power and communication networks are changing this, but multimedia-learning experiences remain richer and easier in a traditional classroom setting. Moreover, the use of object learning makes students more initiative than traditional classroom learning, a value that object learning offers its students if that is what you are looking for.

However, I understand your point. Just like what I’ve mentioned from my first reply, I still prefer going to the library and borrow books instead of using the internet as a resource. I firmly believe that though web-based learning is a beneficial educational tool nowadays, it cannot and will probably never replace, traditional learning. In order to maximize its effectiveness though, it still depends on the educators to develop, adapt and modify a teaching technique designed to properly meet the needs of the students.

Stennes, C. (n. d.). Advantages and Disadvantages of Web-based Learning. Retrieved August 14, 2008 from http://www.resourcesunlimited.com

Josh wrote:students are like sheep, who needs a shepherd to lead its way to the meadows and the shepherd is the guiding light when the sheep will be gone astray.
    No matter how rich accesible knowledge we get from web-based learning center, we still need each other to enrich what we learn and we also need a teacher who will lead us to the right direction when time comes knowledge seem to be in the dark

Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:Hello Kriselda! Truly, no matter how many sites and articles we try to read about a particular subject matter, it will not suffice a comprehensive learning. Hence, cooperative and interactive learning such as the approach we are using in our class will lead to a higher individual and group achievement. It also provides us with more new ideas and even solutions to existing problems. In addition, I’ve read from the Encyclopedia of Educational Technology that compared to individual or competitive work, students working in cooperative groups tend to be more intrinsically motivated, intellectually curious, caring of others, and psychologically healthy.

Baylon, C. (2005). Cooperative learning. In B. Hoffman (Ed.), Encyclopedia of Educational Technology. Retrieved August 14, 2008, from http://coe.sdsu.edu/eet/articles/coopgroups/start.htm
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:39 am

Thanks Ms. Christina, I believe that it is not really about choosing which is better or more effective than the other. There is no perfect teaching technique as what the class realized before. Both have advantages and disadvantages as we can see therefore the two methods should be utilized hand in hand by the educators in paving better understanding and more comprehensive learning depending on the deemed needs of the students.

Cristina Mariano wrote:to josh, Smile

I guess the substance that automated materials hold is (may be) less credible compared to books and evidensed based researches then this address the type of learning students patronize. Since automated use is widely used everywhere quality education may be questionable if learners focuses only on these materials as major references.

I guess as like what ma'am joy has said regarding on the impact of the statement: “If good content were enough to support learning and human interaction were unnecessary, libraries would never have evolved into universities.”, going to libraries also teaches us the value of patience and resourcefulness along the process of exploring through books and journals, extensive and valuable informations are gained by us.

No, for me it does not discard the need for classroom lectures, all these go hand in hand together to continually lead the learners of the path of learning fuitfully.

Josh wrote:It is not my intention not to reply or conceptualize, the reson why i started aasking questions is to stimulate my mind and maybe others to dig deeper into the issue.
    silva731 wrote:
    Cristina Mariano wrote:admitedly the article assigned to us was quite technical and complex in the choice of the author's words. but if you noticed 3 out of the 4 guide questions, you need not read the article as the questions we posed are analytical and based on experience. it is therefore your prerogative whether or not any of you want to reply.

Josh wrote:Gone are the days of scarcity of books and educational materials and now is the moment where knowledge is encapsulated.

If learning objects is to be construed as, content objects, strategy objects….content chunks or information containers readily available one click away, then what kind of knowledge content does it bear? Does it address quality education? Are ethical standards and values being embedded in the learning objects? What competencies of students does it aim to acquire? If automation aims to provide logical topic sequencing, does it discard the need of classroom lecturer?

My ignorance to the real issue or meaning and purpose of the articles limit me to comment further. My apology

technicality of the material is already given, but what is important is on what we have conceptualized. as we are instructed to do so, all we have to say is what we have thought of the material using other learning objects that may have help us conceptualized something.
    yvette

Post  yvette Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:44 am

Whichever learning strategy is utilized, one of our responsibility as educators is to mold our learners in accordance to our envisions. Thus it is important to provide guidance and support along their way of learning, not only intellectually but also psychologically and even the totality of the person.

Kriselda Manzano wrote:
    hi tina,

gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa Fri 15 Aug 2008, 12:53 am

As a bystander viewing everyone’s remarks, it seems that the discussion is no longer focussed on the guide questions. To quote Prof Butcon:

“For those assigned to lead the discussion of this article, post your discussion paper as a group then provide guide questions to provide focus for the reactions.”

Same rules apply as quoted from the 1st & 2nd forums. I presume we should limit the topics being discussed to the guide questions as we did in the first forum. Good morning.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon

Post  Divinia Joy Tuzon Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:03 am

Wow, thank you for appreciating my effort Sir Josh. I understand how you feel (therapeutic communication ). Especially for dedicated educators like you, I know you take issues like this seriously for what you teach can make or break your students. Most of us actually have the same sentiment, whether to practice the value-laden traditional learning or employ the convenience provided by the web-based learning. I say let’s take advantage of the two! And I think everyone would finally agree with that.

Josh wrote:A very delightful comment! as educators we have the great responsibility to lead our students to the right path, right education and right materials to be used. i am also not discouraging learning objects, but just trying to pose a caution to eceryone, if being overwhelmed with the eaccessibility of knowledge in the internet, our students might lost the authentic joy of acquiring knowledge through the test of time and effort.
    Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:Hello Sir Josh. You posed a very interesting question. I tried to read more about the topic and hopefully this could help. Advances in communication technology paved the way for a feasible educational option such as the utilization of learning objects. The idea in virtual or distant learning is that a teacher can reach his or her students in remote locations, which enables students to learn subjects to which they would not otherwise have access. This is its major advantage – it allows anyone, anywhere, to study anything. Learning objects also allow students to progress at their own pace (from simple to complex or from one topic after another) which makes them eventually knowledgeable and competent in the long run.

Josh

Post  Josh Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:14 am

Thank you for the reminder sir Gary. The question number 4 is very hard to answer. The reason also why I asked what student competencies learning objects strategy is directed to acquire? and i think providing answer for that question can atleast give us an idea to think of a tool can be use for evaluation.
    gary.orosa wrote:As a bystander viewing everyone’s remarks, it seems that the discussion is no longer focussed on the guide questions. To quote Prof Butcon:

“For those assigned to lead the discussion of this article, post your discussion paper as a group then provide guide questions to provide focus for the reactions.”

Same rules apply as quoted from the 1st & 2nd forums. I presume we should limit the topics being discussed to the guide questions as we did in the first forum. Good morning.
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:23 am

Forgive our limitation on answering such complex questions. The article is indeed hard to understand, but we will try our best to keep up and guide through as moderators of the forum. Smile

silva731 wrote:
    silva731 wrote:

i agree with that, i also tried to reply with your first query. for us to go deeper to this article.
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:26 am

Yes you are right. The reusability of the learing objects depend how simple it is. The more simple the learning object, the more chances of its reusability. Therefore, learning objects are indeed just lke "keywords" to a certain information.

silva731 wrote:
    Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:As defined, learning object is a resource that is readily available, and can be used and re-used to support learning. It doesn’t necessarily have to bear the entire information. As I understand it, a learning object is basically a “summary” or “keywords” of information. You still have to do extensive reading and research, maybe the traditional way, if you want to obtain a more comprehensive work.

I think I agree with miss moreno but let us also think that the less specific the internal context of the learning object, the more instructional context it would fit in. So reusability of the learning object depends on the on the speficity of the internal context. am i right?
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:30 am

I agree with Ms. Manzano. A teacher facilitates the students. That's why a teacher must be knowledgable of what he says, because that's where the students can utilize their learnings well.

Kriselda Manzano wrote:Josh,

As i understand the article, the reason why learning objects are utilized is breakdown the teaching content into smaller unit thus making learning a bit easier.

Like what I’ve said earlier, a good learning must be in the form of interaction to foster better knowledge. Communication is a good vehicle for this. Excellent education will be preserved if human interaction sets in.

Not all types of learners can utilize the learning objects specially the young. That is where the role of the teacher as the facilitator takes place.

Josh wrote:If to facilitate learning is the objective, is the quality of education being preserved? Does it aim to address all types of learner or different capabilities and learning styles of students were considered?

Kriselda Manzano wrote:The way I understand it, learning objects are created to make learning easier but it is inevitable for the face educators to encounter problems using them. The good side of utilizing learning object is, it facilitates breakdown of the teaching content into smaller units, self-contained, and most of the time can be re-used.

I found myself wanting more to read about the “learning objects” so I did extra reading using the net. I found lots of sites and interactive means to understand it fully. After several minutes I realized that I am using the “learning objects” to meet my cravings for knowledge!

On the contrary, I know that facing the computer for hours will not suffice learning, thus a good interaction will augment and foster better knowledge. That is the reason why our online class was created, for us to communicate and interact.

Kriselda Manzano

Post  Kriselda Manzano Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:39 am

To re-direct our forum abiding by the guide questions posted by the moderators, I would like to articulate about the online classes we are having on the Masteral Program. Technically speaking online class is an example of learning object. The strong characteristic of it is that everyone is given the chance to say their piece. Exchanges of ideas are present within the learners (considering that they read truthfully regarding the subject matter to be discussed and taken everything from a reliable resource material), the teacher guides the learners by redirecting and focusing them.

In this way the teacher is not the only expert on the area under discussion, everyone actively participate to learn more.

For me, written examinations or requirements can be utilized to evaluate if the learners learned using the learning object.

Last edited by Kriselda Manzano on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:42 am; edited 1 time in total
    sdlopez02

Post  sdlopez02 Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:39 am

Hi everyone,

All of you seem to contribute good points about this most recent topic of ours. on the other hand, i honestly had difficulty understanding the content of the article. Well you see i'm not used to dealing with the chunks of information in this digital age much more critic about it but i am quite fascinated about the application of learning objects as an instructional material in classes. I am also intrigued by its strengths and weaknesses as an instructional material.

I admit that the young generation favor e-learning because of the fast-paced acquisition of knowledge. i also see the benefits of e-learning as i have witnessed it with my sons and daughters. i am amazed that they know so much and they can contribute it to their access to the internet and the tri-media. i envy the young generation and wished that the discoveries of the digital age could have been founded earlier in my time.

Anyway, i am vindicated by the article's hesitancy and reservations about the sole use of learning objects for optimal learning as it cannot replace the "core values" of learning. Learning is many times enhanced with the interaction with peers and preceptors. It imbibes factual knowledge with the first-hand experiences of others to become wisdom.

Moreover, I agree that databanking education is a mediocre system of handing information to learners and it is a weakness of learner objects. It hands down "undigested" information to learners. I'm quite interested by how the article solved this problem by adding social interaction in the use of learning objects. i found out that one way to add social interaction online is with e-forums like the one we are using today. it is effective as i can view your posted critics and reflections with ease as i am constructing my own critics and relfections as well.

And now i am pondering that maybe it is not too late for me to learn more about e-learning. I value employing the best teaching method that i can use to facilitate learning for my students. If optimal learning can be achieved through e-learning, then I will try my best to deliver it as such. Anyway, i'm finding that many computer programs are becoming more user-friendly (such as the evolution of Wordstar - a typing program considered a relic just like me - into the present day microsoft word and powerpoint). i can now imagine myself teaching my students using instructional materials downloaded from the internet (minding the intellectual property rights, of course) in the classroom someday.

What the teacher is, is more important than what he teaches. ~Karl Menninger
    weng

Post  weng Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:50 am

In the coming years, we can't escape the use of learning objects as one of the main instructional materials. Digital technology is now part of our lives and it won't be much of a surprise if it becomes an integral part of our education system. Now that we are moving towards the digital route with the use of learning objects, the question now is (as similar to the main question the paper had posed), how can we overcome the limitations of learning objects with our present technology and users' limited know-how of technology?

Some suggestions:

1. How to create not just reusable (and editable) learning objects but user-friendly as well -- If an instructor wants to create learning objects for an entire coursework, he should work in collaboration with a computer programmer and web/interface designer. The computer programmer will make the "granularization of contents" possible while the web/interface designer will make the front-end of the program user-friendly and easily accessible even to those who are newbie in computer use. Intelligent navigation, real-time file sharing and editing, click and type interface -- these are just a few (but important) of the many operability considerations that an instructor has to resolve.

2. How to introduce learning objects to traditional students -- One way is to use the methods that Mr. Butcon is already employing: Lecture with the students face-to-face while the other school-related work or activities that we traditionally know -- such as homeworks, school papers, reporting, further reading, group work -- are introduced via the use of learning objects and other digital paraphernalias. This method introduces slowly to traditional students digital learning objects; thus lessening percentage of rejection.

Last edited by weng on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:54 am; edited 1 time in total
    yvette

Post  yvette Fri 15 Aug 2008, 1:53 am

In addition, regarding its designed for reusability, if i am right as i understood it, it is good that there's a way to reuse a materials as it has been without the use of extensive formats, its like gaining information on a first hand basis.

Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:Yes you are right. The reusability of the learing objects depend how simple it is. The more simple the learning object, the more chances of its reusability. Therefore, learning objects are indeed just lke "keywords" to a certain information.

silva731 wrote:
    Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:As defined, learning object is a resource that is readily available, and can be used and re-used to support learning. It doesn’t necessarily have to bear the entire information. As I understand it, a learning object is basically a “summary” or “keywords” of information. You still have to do extensive reading and research, maybe the traditional way, if you want to obtain a more comprehensive work.

I think I agree with miss moreno but let us also think that the less specific the internal context of the learning object, the more instructional context it would fit in. So reusability of the learning object depends on the on the speficity of the internal context. am i right?
    Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Fri 15 Aug 2008, 2:21 am

Yes. Learning objects without the use of extensive formats can be reused, much like the same as the first hand basis. The criteria that a learnng objective can be reused, as I understand it, is that it has to be the smallest logical unit of instruction.

yvette wrote:In addition, regarding its designed for reusability, if i am right as i understood it, it is good that there's a way to reuse a materials as it has been without the use of extensive formats, its like gaining information on a first hand basis.

Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:Yes you are right. The reusability of the learing objects depend how simple it is. The more simple the learning object, the more chances of its reusability. Therefore, learning objects are indeed just lke "keywords" to a certain information.

silva731 wrote:

Kriselda Anne Moreno

Post  Kriselda Anne Moreno Fri 15 Aug 2008, 2:27 am

I agree with you Ms. Weng. By slowly introducing us from the traditional way of learning into digitally equipped learning objects lessens the percentage of rejection. In this way, we could aslo have an access into a comprehensive way of learning the information needed by combining the easy accessible and readily available learning objective, and the extensive and comprehensive traditional way of learning. Good point.

weng wrote:
    2. How to introduce learning objects to traditional students -- One way is to use the methods that Mr. Butcon is already employing: Lecture with the students face-to-face while the other school-related work or activities that we traditionally know -- such as homeworks, school papers, reporting, further reading, group work -- are introduced via the use of learning objects and other digital paraphernalias. This method introduces slowly to traditional students digital learning objects; thus lessening percentage of rejection.
    sdlopez02

Post  sdlopez02 Fri 15 Aug 2008, 2:35 am

i also agree with ms weng. i appreciate our educators' effort in introducing those who are new or unfamiliar with the advances in the digital era to e-learning such as myself.

weng wrote:
    luder

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 5:34 am

I'd like to begin by saying that one of the wekanesses of discussion forums is that if you've been typing for quite sometime there is a chance that your work may not be posted. i learned the hardway. it just happened. Sad
    evancarlo

Post  evancarlo Fri 15 Aug 2008, 5:56 am

Every learning object has its own advantage and disadvantages. From the comments before, we must maximize a specific learning object for the benefit of acquiring new knowledge and to motivate student's that there are so many ways to learn. It could guide students on "how" to learn. Indeed, the traditional and the web - based system goes hand in hand though it may seem difficult for the others, we can use this kind of concept for better understanding.

Like the forum, it has its disadvantages, But one advantages of this is we breakdown topic into a single one to better understand and then share our own ideas to our colleague, where human interaction sets in, a good mediating factor for all of us.

As i may say, we need to always look on the brighter side of the world, maximize our resources for better outcome. Very Happy

luder wrote:I'd like to begin by saying that one of the wekanesses of discussion forums is that if you've been typing for quite sometime there is a chance that your work may not be posted. i learned the hardway. it just happened. Sad
    luder

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 5:59 am

Anyway, let me begin again.

The assigned article was focused on using technology based learning objects and presented possible flaws in its implementation. in my opinion, L'Allier (1997) presents a better definition of a learning object stating that it is defined as "...the smallest independent structural experience that contains an objective, a learning activity and an assessment." this posed as a clearer perspective for me because it removed the idea that learning objects is only used with technology. It is, therefore, a single unit of a given body of knowledge that can be measured. The flaw appears to come from the way the learning object is used, in this case, through technology.

L'Allier (1997). As cited in http://www.grayharriman.com/learning_objects.htm
    Retrieved August 15, 2008

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 8:04 am