UERM Exec_MSN E-Learning

Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

E-learning modules for Integrated Virtual Learning

+10
gary.orosa
yvette
silva731
Cristina Mariano
Josh
Kriselda Manzano
evancarlo
Divinia Joy Tuzon
Kriselda Anne Moreno
Admin
14 posters

Discussion Forum 2

luder

Discussion Forum 2 - Page 3 Empty Re: Discussion Forum 2

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:05 am

i do agree on the importance of the traditional use of books as a resource, it cannot be discounted. but taking into consideration the nature of learning objects, the book serves as a way to expound on the LO subject matter because information is presented in simple terms only.

Divinia Joy Tuzon wrote:Overcoming the Limitations of Learning Objects

My apology for making a quite lengthy discussion of what I've just learned. I hope it won’t cause boredom to anyone. I have to understand first what learning objects really mean. The positive aspect of reading educational articles is that it makes you want to read and research more. The study used the definition given by Wiley and Edwards, learning object is any digital resource which can be reused to mediate learning. But let me briefly share what I just learned which our moderators apparently also have found out. The IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee (2002) defines learning object as “(A)ny entity, digital or non-digital, that may be used for learning, education or training.”

From my own understanding, the main idea of utilizing learning objects is to break educational content down into small chunks that can be reused in various learning environments. I find the idea of learning objects to be beneficial as an educational tool. However, it has limitations too which was addressed in the study as explained by the moderators. Its main disadvantage knowing that it is a digital resource is that it may possibly lead to an isolation-approach. Although its utilization can lead to a collection of quantity and even quality contents, it is still not enough to facilitate learning. Allow me to stress what made an impact to me from the study, “If good content were enough to support learning and human interaction were unnecessary, libraries would never have evolved into universities.” As an avid user of libraries since I was in grade school, I really find books to be very helpful whenever I study or research on any topic. I took advantage of it most especially when I entered the nursing world. And until now, some of my classmates might agree that I never ran out of books to borrow in our UERM library. Josephy Brodsky says, “There are worse crimes than burning books. One of them is not reading them.” Reading and going to libraries would not only give the facts we need to learn but more importantly, it also teaches us the value of patience and resourcefulness. This is also applicable for those who have limited or no means at all to use the internet. However, it is sad to admit that nowadays, students rely more on the digital resources we have. It only brings us back to the importance of the role of the educators in motivating and molding their students.

The O2 model tried to address the limitations of learning objects. Learning objects were selected and made available to the students by course designers in order to support the accomplishment of project tasks and goals. Also because the learning objects used in the O2 model are highly decontextualized, it is not only easily reusable to support different projects in different courses moreover, it provides the learners motivation for studying. In relation to our MSN/MAN course, although at first I had difficulty coping up with our online classes (I even thought it was impossible to carry out), I now appreciate its purpose and surprisingly, I realize that YES it really teaches us certain values. Not only are we motivated to learn and participate in the forums we have, it also teaches us the importance of collaboration and cooperative learning. With the previous subjects we have already taken, I can say that the Executive program in particular provides its students immediate opportunities to practice the knowledge and skills they’ve learned from the formal classes and apply it to their online classes after.

IEEE Learning Technology Standards Committee (LTSC). (2002). Draft Standard for Learning Object Metadata. Retrieved August 14, 2008 from http://ltsc.ieee.org/wg12/files/LOM_1484_12_1_v1_Final_Draft.pdf
    luder

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:12 am

It was mentioned in the article that to address the automation issue of LOs part of the O2 program implemented human-human interaction in the form of weekly sessions between faculty and students. this validates the importance of "real" interaction in learning constituting the core value of the knowledge.

Kriselda Manzano wrote:

On the contrary, I know that facing the computer for hours will not suffice learning, thus a good interaction will augment and foster better knowledge. That is the reason why our online class was created, for us to communicate and interact.

luder

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:19 am

from what i understood from the article, the aim of using technology as LOs is to make learning more efficient. content wise i would assume is credible given that what will be taught are existing knowledge, but will be presented in a way where the information can be related to different settings. this way knowing that a certain information can lead to the discovery of different ideas would eventually help a student move further from what was originally given. LOs are merely tools, i consider it to be the hammer of the teacher so to speak. so there is still a human element in LOs.

Josh wrote:Gone are the days of scarcity of books and educational materials and now is the moment where knowledge is encapsulated.

If learning objects is to be construed as, content objects, strategy objects….content chunks or information containers readily available one click away, then what kind of knowledge content does it bear? Does it address quality education? Are ethical standards and values being embedded in the learning objects? What competencies of students does it aim to acquire? If automation aims to provide logical topic sequencing, does it discard the need of classroom lecturer?

My ignorance to the real issue or meaning and purpose of the articles limit me to comment further. My apology
    luder

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:25 am

decontextualization is probably one of the hardest part in desinging LOs. there is the chance of misleading the learner during the process of paving the way for understanding.

Cristina Mariano wrote:
    Reusing materials is one way to keep important aspects of the literatures intact in a way that it should not be too tiring for the instructors. Knowing how to design and put correct variables of a context into the learning object is critical because misplaced variables may affect the understanding of the entire learnings presented which may lead to the so-called “Sixth sense” where students end up thinking they learn something which is totally not there.

luder

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:33 am

The best way that i was able to understand LOs was thru the article by Hodgins and Conner (2000). They described LOs as LEGO blocks that are precisely constructed to fit with every other block. the learner, as they pointed out, can put the blocks together forming an object, take it apart and form yet another object. applying this principle to learning, they stated, "If we map this to the world of learning content, we start to see the opportunities that would result if we were able to have the same standards and capabilities to reuse and assemble or disassemble content drawn from any source at any time."

Hodgins and Conner (2000). Everything you ever wanted to know about learning
    standards but were afraid to ask. Retrived August 15, 2008 from
    http://www.linezine.com/2.1/features/wheyewtkls.htm

silva731 wrote:
    Cristina Mariano wrote:admitedly the article assigned to us was quite technical and complex in the choice of the author's words. but if you noticed 3 out of the 4 guide questions, you need not read the article as the questions we posed are analytical and based on experience. it is therefore your prerogative whether or not any of you want to reply.

Josh wrote:Gone are the days of scarcity of books and educational materials and now is the moment where knowledge is encapsulated.

If learning objects is to be construed as, content objects, strategy objects….content chunks or information containers readily available one click away, then what kind of knowledge content does it bear? Does it address quality education? Are ethical standards and values being embedded in the learning objects? What competencies of students does it aim to acquire? If automation aims to provide logical topic sequencing, does it discard the need of classroom lecturer?

My ignorance to the real issue or meaning and purpose of the articles limit me to comment further. My apology

technicality of the material is already given, but what is important is on what we have conceptualized. as we are instructed to do so, all we have to say is what we have thought of the material using other learning objects that may have help us conceptualized something.
    luder

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:39 am

I disagree Miss Moreno. as was mentioned in our face-face discussion, learner centered approach always considers the realtionship between student-teacher, student-material ans student-peers. In technology based LO's, as with the O2 project, i understand that students are given the chance to meet in class to discuss the course. this gives an oportunity for the student to interact with the teacher and the class.

Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:Learner objects, being a solution and for ease, has its limitations. One, I may say, is that it doesn't apply the learner centered approach, therefore it doesn't aim to address all types of learners, different styles, or capabilities. Quality of education may not be preserved as well. The main aim of learner objects is to be easily accesible and ready in digital, using technology, to facilitate ease.
    luder

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:56 am

According to L'Allier's (1997) definition of LOs, there must be an assessment tool in place to evaluate the student. it would be quite difficult to figure this one out by ourselves.

L'Allier (1997). As cited in http://www.grayharriman.com/learning_objects.htm
    Retrieved August 15, 2008

Josh wrote:Thank you for the reminder sir Gary. The question number 4 is very hard to answer. The reason also why I asked what student competencies learning objects strategy is directed to acquire? and i think providing answer for that question can atleast give us an idea to think of a tool can be use for evaluation.
    gary.orosa wrote:As a bystander viewing everyone’s remarks, it seems that the discussion is no longer focussed on the guide questions. To quote Prof Butcon:

“For those assigned to lead the discussion of this article, post your discussion paper as a group then provide guide questions to provide focus for the reactions.”

Same rules apply as quoted from the 1st & 2nd forums. I presume we should limit the topics being discussed to the guide questions as we did in the first forum. Good morning.
    luder

Post  luder Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:59 am

i would just like to apologize for my first post. i didn't mean to use the forum as vent for my frustration. i realize there are ways to prevent what had happened, i failed in that regard. thank you! Very Happy
    patmarban

Post  patmarban Fri 15 Aug 2008, 6:59 am

In line with its mission, UERM implemented in its course, Instructional Design, an online module to facilitate learning. As a learning object, so far I believe it delivers, but there is still room for improvement.

Evaluating journals is a very nonspecific way to learn. The instructor gives different topics everyday and the learners are asked to react on the specific topic. This develops critical thinking. Also, learners become leaders in a systematic manner where they are given chance to be moderators. This develops leadership. The reading materials are long and time-pressured. This develops patience and perseverance. Indeed,the overt objective may be to read instructional design-based topics, but the covert develops numerous learning aspects, skills, and values.

On the other hand, my only fear is that with this rigorous kind of setup, learners who are involved with their career have no way of going to extracurricular activities (ECA) anymore. Since time is one of the foes, working out, for instance, is not an option since after an 8-5 work, face-to-face or online class program starts right away and finishes late at night or even past midnight for online; no more time to do extracurricular activities. This contradicts Fujita’s (n.d.) and Darling, Caldwell, and Smith’s (2005) suggestion that ECAs help improve academic performance.

In conclusion, I trust that this subject is at par with UERM’s mission of producing “Excellence in Education and Training in the Health Sciences,” but it should also consider tapering down or balancing the schedule so as to accommodate ECAs for the benefit of its learners.

REFERENCES:

Darling, N., Caldwell, L. L., & Smith, R. (2005). Participation in school-based extracurricular activities and adolescent adjustment. Journal of Leisure Research. Retrieved August 15, 2008, from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3702/is_200501/ai_n9520742/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

Fujita, K. (n.d.). The effects of extracurricular activities on the academic
    performance of junior high students. Retrieved August 15, 2008, from http://www.kon.org/urc/v5/fujita.html

University of the East: Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center. Vision and Mission. Retrieved August 15, 2008, from http://www.uerm.ph/?fid=mission

Kriselda Anne Moreno wrote:

2. As our online classes are also considered as learning objects based on the definition “any digital resource that can be reused to support learning”; discuss and evaluate your perceptions on the online classes we are having at our Masteral Course in UERM. Describe its strengths, how effective it is for you, its weaknesses, and suggest ways on how to improve it.

Last edited by patmarban on Fri 15 Aug 2008, 7:58 am; edited 3 times in total
    Josh

Post  Josh Fri 15 Aug 2008, 7:25 am

What a fruitful discussion. I think we all agrre in some ways that both the web-based learning objects and traditional method are necessary tools and sholud be collaborated to enhance and promote knowledge. As as we have clear intention to impart knowledge and will create a student more hungry of knowledge. I agree that both learning objects and traditional method create values and scaffold a personality of a student. These values determined how a person think and perceived reality, manifested in his action and interaction with others. How then are we going to evaluate the knowledge and wisdom of our learners? Maybe, it is still a challenge and remains to be seen. Again just a reiteration, our objective is to acquire knowledge not just to posess head knowledge but also waht we learn both in traditional and technological based objects sholu make us a better individual-with high regard to integrity of knowledge and application of learning makes us a better to person to others. Thank you guys, with all your contributions I come to realize again and again that I need to learn more.
    patmarban wrote:In line with its mission, UERM implemented in its course, Instructional Design, an online module to facilitate learning. As a learning object, so far I believe it delivers.

Evaluating journals is a very nonspecific way to learn. The instructor gives different topics everyday and the learners are asked to react on the specific topic. This develops critical thinking. Also, learners become leaders in a systematic manner where they are given chance to be moderators. This develops leadership. The reading materials are long and time-pressured. This develops patience and perseverance. Indeed,the overt objective may be to read instructional design-based topics, but the covert develops numerous learning aspects, skills, and values.

On the other hand, my only fear is that with this rigorous kind of setup, learners who are involved with their career have no way of going to excercise anymore. Since time is one of the foes, working out is not an option since after an 8-5 work, face-to-face or online class program starts right away and finishes late at night or even past midnight for online; no more time to do extracurricular activities. This contradicts Fujita’s (n.d.) and Darling, Caldwell, and Smith’s (2005) suggestion that ECA’s help improve academic performance.

In conclusion, I trust that this subject is at par with UERM’s mission of producing “Excellence in Education and Training in the Health Sciences,” but it should also consider tapering down or balancing the schedule so as to accommodate ECAs for the benefit of its learners.

REFERENCES:

Darling, N., Caldwell, L. L., & Smith, R. (2005). Participation in school-based extracurricular activities and adolescent adjustment. Journal of Leisure Research. Retrieved August 15, 2008, from http://findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_qa3702/is_200501/ai_n9520742/pg_1?tag=artBody;col1

performance of junior high students. Retrieved August 15, 2008, from http://www.kon.org/urc/v5/fujita.html

2. As our online classes are also considered as learning objects based on the definition “any digital resource that can be reused to support learning”; discuss and evaluate your perceptions on the online classes we are having at our Masteral Course in UERM. Describe its strengths, how effective it is for you, its weaknesses, and suggest ways on how to improve it.
    patmarban

Post  patmarban Fri 15 Aug 2008, 7:43 am

While some may be intellectually equipped when in comes to imparting knowledge, it is true that not all are technologically-equipped. I agree that the aspect of "user-friendliness" is very important to consider in instructional design.

weng wrote:
    Some suggestions:

1. How to create not just reusable (and editable) learning objects but user-friendly as well -- If an instructor wants to create learning objects for an entire coursework, he should work in collaboration with a computer programmer and web/interface designer. The computer programmer will make the "granularization of contents" possible while the web/interface designer will make the front-end of the program user-friendly and easily accessible even to those who are newbie in computer use. Intelligent navigation, real-time file sharing and editing, click and type interface -- these are just a few (but important) of the many operability considerations that an instructor has to resolve.

2. How to introduce learning objects to traditional students -- One way is to use the methods that Mr. Butcon is already employing: Lecture with the students face-to-face while the other school-related work or activities that we traditionally know -- such as homeworks, school papers, reporting, further reading, group work -- are introduced via the use of learning objects and other digital paraphernalias. This method introduces slowly to traditional students digital learning objects; thus lessening percentage of rejection.
    gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa Fri 15 Aug 2008, 8:04 am

yes the set up i believe is too rigorous. it make me wonder, are we really learner centered or are we "deadline centered"? to be honest i am not proud of any of the work that i submit as i know i could do better given enough time...

patmarban wrote:In line with its mission, UERM implemented in its course, Instructional Design, an online module to facilitate learning. As a learning object, so far I believe it delivers, but there is still room for improvement.

On the other hand, my only fear is that with this rigorous kind of setup, learners who are involved with their career have no way of going to extracurricular activities (ECA) anymore. Since time is one of the foes, working out, for instance, is not an option since after an 8-5 work, face-to-face or online class program starts right away and finishes late at night or even past midnight for online; no more time to do extracurricular activities. This contradicts Fujita’s (n.d.) and Darling, Caldwell, and Smith’s (2005) suggestion that ECAs help improve academic performance.

REFERENCES:

University of the East: Ramon Magsaysay Memorial Medical Center. Vision and Mission. Retrieved August 15, 2008, from http://www.uerm.ph/?fid=mission

gary.orosa

Post  gary.orosa Fri 15 Aug 2008, 8:09 am

and what really is the priority here, the quality of work or the deadlines? but as an obedient soldier following his superior, i have no choice but to follow the deadline thereby compromising the quality...

gary.orosa wrote:yes the set up i believe is too rigorous. it make me wonder, are we really learner centered or are we "deadline centered"? to be honest i am not proud of any of the work that i submit as i know i could do better given enough time...

patmarban wrote:In line with its mission, UERM implemented in its course, Instructional Design, an online module to facilitate learning. As a learning object, so far I believe it delivers, but there is still room for improvement.

REFERENCES:

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri 15 Aug 2008, 8:22 am

No doubt Gary...QUALITY! Deadline is made to attain mastery...until optimum quality is achieve. Do not be to hard on your self. You are good enough! And you can be better and quick soon!

Jesson

gary.orosa wrote:and what really is the priority here, the quality of work or the deadlines? but as an obedient soldier following his superior, i have no choice but to follow the deadline thereby compromising the quality...

gary.orosa wrote:yes the set up i believe is too rigorous. it make me wonder, are we really learner centered or are we "deadline centered"? to be honest i am not proud of any of the work that i submit as i know i could do better given enough time...

REFERENCES:

Admin
    Admin

Post  Admin Fri 15 Aug 2008, 8:25 am

I am happier with discussion 2. Congratulations to all especially the moderators for optimizing "learning" online.

I have read all the exchanges and we will discuss them briefly later tonight.

See you

Jesson

Sponsored content

Post  Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 9:25 am